Portrait: The architect and founder of the Bauhaus School Walter Gropius

Wednesday, 24 July 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Architecture, Portrait, UNESCO World Heritage

Walter Gropius in Ulm, 1955 © Hans G. Conrad - René Spitz/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

Walter Gropius in Ulm, 1955 © Hans G. Conrad – René Spitz/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

Walter Adolph Georg Gropius was a German architect and founder of the Bauhaus School, who, along with Alvar Aalto, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier and Frank Lloyd Wright, is widely regarded as one of the pioneering masters of modernist architecture. Gropius was also a leading architect of the International Style.

Gropius could not draw, and was dependent on collaborators and partner-interpreters throughout his career. In school he hired an assistant to complete his homework for him. In 1908, after studying architecture in Munich and Berlin for four semesters, Gropius joined the office of the renowned architect and industrial designer Peter Behrens, one of the first members of the utilitarian school. His fellow employees at this time included Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier, and Dietrich Marcks. In 1910 Gropius left the firm of Behrens and together with fellow employee Adolf Meyer established a practice in Berlin. Together they share credit for one of the seminal modernist buildings created during this period: the Faguswerk in Alfeld-an-der-Leine, Germany, a shoe last factory. Although Gropius and Meyer only designed the facade, the glass curtain walls of this building demonstrated both the modernist principle that form reflects function and Gropius’s concern with providing healthful conditions for the working class. The factory is now regarded as one of the crucial founding monuments of European modernism. Gropius was commissioned in 1913 to design a car for the Prussian Railroad Locomotive Works in Königsberg. This locomotive was unique and the first of its kind in Germany and perhaps in Europe. Other works of this early period include the office and factory building for the Werkbund Exhibition (1914) in Cologne. In 1913, Gropius published an article about “The Development of Industrial Buildings,” which included about a dozen photographs of factories and grain elevators in North America. A very influential text, this article had a strong influence on other European modernists, including Le Corbusier and Erich Mendelsohn, both of whom reprinted Gropius’s grain elevator pictures between 1920 and 1930. Gropius’s career was interrupted by the outbreak of World War I in 1914. He was drafted August 1914 and served as a sergeant major at the Western front during the war years (getting wounded and almost killed) and then as a lieutenant in the signal corps. Gropius was awarded the Iron Cross twice (“when it still meant something,” he confided to his friend Chester Nagel) after fighting for four years. Gropius then, like his father and his great-uncle Martin Gropius before him, became an architect.

Gropius’s career advanced in the postwar period. Henry van de Velde, the master of the Grand-Ducal Saxon School of Arts and Crafts in Weimar was asked to step down in 1915 due to his Belgian nationality. His recommendation for Gropius to succeed him led eventually to Gropius’s appointment as master of the school in 1919. It was this academy which Gropius transformed into the world-famous Bauhaus, attracting a faculty that included Paul Klee, Johannes Itten, Josef Albers, Herbert Bayer, László Moholy-Nagy, Otto Bartning and Wassily Kandinsky. In principle, the Bauhaus represented an opportunity to extend beauty and quality to every home through well designed industrially produced objects. The Bauhaus program was experimental and the emphasis was theoretical. One example product of the Bauhaus was the armchair F 51, designed for the Bauhaus’s directors room in 1920 – nowadays a re-edition in the market, manufactured by the German company TECTA/Lauenfoerde. In 1919, Gropius was involved in the Glass Chain utopian expressionist correspondence under the pseudonym “Mass.” Usually more notable for his functionalist approach, the Monument to the March Dead, designed in 1919 and executed in 1920, indicates that expressionism was an influence on him at that time. In 1923, Gropius designed his famous door handles, now considered an icon of 20th-century design and often listed as one of the most influential designs to emerge from Bauhaus. Gropius designed the new Bauhaus Dessau school building in 1925-26 on commission from the city of Dessau. He collaborated with Carl Fieger, Ernst Neufert and others within his private architectural practice. He also designed large-scale housing projects in Berlin, Karlsruhe and Dessau in 1926–32 that were major contributions to the New Objectivity movement, including a contribution to the Siemensstadt project in Berlin. Gropius left the Bauhaus in 1928 and moved to Berlin. Hannes Meyer took over the role of Bauhaus director.

Walter Gropius in Ulm, 1955 © Hans G. Conrad - René Spitz/cc-by-sa-3.0-de Walter Gropius and Harry Seidler in Sydney, 1954 © Max Dupain - National Library of Australia Walter Gropius, 1919 © Louis Held - museum-digital.de
<
>
Walter Gropius and Harry Seidler in Sydney, 1954 © Max Dupain - National Library of Australia
The rise of Hitler in the 1930s would soon drive Gropius out of Germany. Before that, however, he did accept an invitation in early 1933 to compete for the design of the new Reichsbank building and submitted a detailed plan. With the help of the English architect Maxwell Fry, Gropius was able to leave Nazi Germany in 1934, on the pretext of making a temporary visit to Italy for a film propaganda festival; he then fled to Britain to avoid the fascist powers of Europe. He lived and worked in the artists’ community associated with Herbert Read in Hampstead, London, as part of the Isokon group with Fry and others for three years, before moving on to the United States with his family. Gropius and his second wife, Ise Gropius, arrived in the United States in February 1937, while their twelve-year-old daughter, Ati, finished the school year in England. Though built in 1938, the Gropiuses believed their house could embody architectural qualities similar to those practiced today, such as simplicity, economy, and aesthetic beauty. In designing his house, Gropius used the approach developed at the Bauhaus. The house the Gropiuses built for themselves in Lincoln, Massachusetts (now known as Gropius House), was influential in bringing International Modernism to the U.S., but Gropius disliked the term: “I made it a point to absorb into my own conception those features of the New England architectural tradition that I found still alive and adequate.” Helen Storrow, a banker’s wife and philanthropist, became Gropius’s benefactor when she invested a portion of her land and wealth for the architect’s home. She was so satisfied with the result that she gave more land and financial support to four other professors, two of whom Gropius designed homes for. With the Bauhaus philosophy in mind, every aspect of the homes and their surrounding landscapes was planned for maximum efficiency and simplicity. Gropius’s house received a huge response and was declared a National Landmark in 2000.

Gropius and his Bauhaus protégé Marcel Breuer both moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts, to teach at the Harvard Graduate School of Design (1937–1952) and collaborate on projects including The Alan I W Frank House in Pittsburgh and the company-town Aluminum City Terrace project in New Kensington, Pennsylvania, before their professional split. In 1938 he was appointed Chair of the Department of Architecture, a post he held until his retirement in 1952. Gropius also sat on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Visiting Committee at the end of his career. The well-known architect designed the Richards and Child residence halls on the Harvard campus that were built in the 1950s. In 1944, he became a naturalized citizen of the United States. In 1946, Gropius founded the young architects’ association, The Architects’ Collaborative (TAC), a manifestation of his lifelong belief in the significance of teamwork, which he had already successfully introduced at the Bauhaus. Based in Cambridge with a group of younger architects, which the original partners included Norman C. Fletcher, Jean B. Fletcher, John C. Harkness, Sarah P. Harkness, Robert S. MacMillan, Louis A. MacMillen, and Benjamin C. Thompson. One work produced by this office is the Graduate Center of Harvard University in Cambridge (1949/50). TAC would become one of the most well-known and respected architectural firms in the world. TAC went bankrupt in 1995. In 1967, Gropius was elected into the National Academy of Design as an Associate member and became a full Academician in 1968.

Read more on bauhaus100.com – Walter Gropius and Wikipedia Walter Gropius (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Szczecin in the West Pomeranian Voivodeship

Szczecin in the West Pomeranian Voivodeship

[caption id="attachment_153345" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Facades of new buildings in Szczecin's Old Town © ProhibitOnions[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Szczecin is the capital city of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship in Poland with a population of 408,000. In the vicinity of the Baltic Sea, it is the country's seventh-largest city and a major seaport in Poland. Szczecin is located on the Oder River, south of the Szczecin Lagoon and the Bay of Pomerania. The city is situated along the southwestern shore of Dąbie Lake, on bot...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Los Angeles - Santa Catalina Island

Theme Week Los Angeles - Santa Catalina Island

[caption id="attachment_151973" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Catalina Casino and Avalon Bay © flickr.com - Justin Ennis/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Santa Catalina Island is a rocky island off the coast of the U.S. state of California in the Gulf of Santa Catalina. The island is 22 miles (35 km) long and 8 miles (13 km) across at its greatest width. The island is located about 22 miles (35 km) south-southwest of Los Angeles. The highest point on the island is 2,097 feet (639 m) Mt. Orizaba. Santa Catalina is part of ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Chateaux of the Loire Valley - Château d'Amboise

Theme Week Chateaux of the Loire Valley - Château d'Amboise

[caption id="attachment_153152" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view © Lieven Smits[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The royal Château at Amboise is a château located in Amboise, in the Indre-et-Loire département of the Loire Valley in France. Built on a promontory overlooking the Loire River to control a strategic ford that was replaced in the Middle Ages by a bridge and the château began its life in the eleventh century, when the notorious Fulk Nerra, Count of Anjou, rebuilt the stronghold in stone. Expanded and ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Hamburg - Inner city and Alster

Theme Week Hamburg - Inner city and Alster

[caption id="attachment_149077" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Alster Panorama © IqRS + DooFi[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Innenstadt Hamburg is the shopping metropolis of Northern Germany. The many shopping streets and shopping malls offer a large variety of goods. From chic boutiques and traditional Hamburg fashion shops around the Alster, to unusual and alternative stores found outside the city-centre area. The entire area between Gänsemarkt, Town Hall, Inner Alster Lake and Hamburg's main train station is the "shopping hea...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Netherlands - Nijmegen, the oldest city in the Netherlands

Theme Week Netherlands - Nijmegen, the oldest city in the Netherlands

[caption id="attachment_159819" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Market Square © Andreas Schmidt[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nijmegen is a municipality and a city in the east of the Netherlands, near the German border. It is considered to be the oldest city in the Netherlands and celebrated its 2000th year of existence in 2005. The municipality is part of the "Stadsregio Arnhem-Nijmegen", a metropolitan area with 736,107 inhabitants. The first mention of Nijmegen in history is in the 1st century BC, when the Romans built ...

[ read more ]

Allahabad in India

Allahabad in India

[caption id="attachment_192430" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Millions of Pilgrims take a ritual bath at Sangam © Lokankara/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Allahabad, since October 2018 officially Prayagraj, is a large metropolitan city in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is the administrative headquarters of Allahabad District, the most populous district in the state and 13th most populous district in India, and the Allahabad Division. The city is the Judicial capital of Uttar Pradesh with Allahabad High...

[ read more ]

The Eden Project in Cornwall

The Eden Project in Cornwall

[caption id="attachment_24994" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Eden Project gardens and Humid Tropical Biome © geograph.org.uk - David Dixon/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Eden Project is a visitor attraction in Cornwall. Inside the artificial biomes are plants that are collected from all around the world. The project is located in a reclaimed Kaolinite pit, located 1.25 mi (2 kilometres) from the town of St Blazey and 5 kilometres (3 mi) from the larger town of St Austell. The complex is dominated by two h...

[ read more ]

Utrecht, the industrial and university city

Utrecht, the industrial and university city

[caption id="attachment_146427" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Canals © Diliff[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]When visitors arrive at the old city of Utrecht it’s inevitably to think “Why haven’t I actually studied here?”. The University, with its numerous internationally recognized faculties, is an invitation to do so. Utrecht is undoubtedly one of the poster-girls of the Dutch towns, which meets every cliché and every expectation that visitors might have in places in the Netherlands. Whether it’s wind mills, canals, ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
East Lake © gugganij/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week China – Wuhan

Wuhan is the capital of Hubei province, People's Republic of China. It's the most populous city in Central China, and...

Dover - Brexit by Banksy © Paul Bissegger/cc-by-sa-4.0
The European Union: The Brexit

(Latest update: 19 February 2020) Brexit, not even legally binding (insofar, the Brexit vote has about the same weight as...

Giant Panda © flickr.com - Chen Wu/cc-by-2.0
Theme Week China

China, officially the People's Republic of China (PRC), is a country in East Asia and the world's most populous country,...

Schließen