Place de la Concorde in Paris

Monday, 5 September 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Paris / Île-de-France
Reading Time:  12 minutes

Fountaine des Mers © Robert Raderschatt

Fountaine des Mers © Robert Raderschatt

The Place de la Concorde is one of the major public squares in Paris. Measuring 8.64 hectares (21.3 acres) in area, it is the largest square in the French capital. It is located in the city’s 8th arrondissement, at the eastern end of the Champs-Élysées. The place was designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel in 1755 as a moat-skirted octagon between the Champs-Élysées to the west and the Tuileries Garden to the east. Decorated with statues and fountains, the area was named Place Louis XV to honor the king at that time. The square showcased an equestrian statue of the king, which had been commissioned in 1748 by the city of Paris, sculpted mostly by Edmé Bouchardon, and completed by Jean-Baptiste Pigalle after the death of Bouchardon. At the north end, two magnificent identical stone buildings were constructed. Separated by the rue Royale, these structures remain among the best examples of Louis Quinze style architecture. Initially, the eastern building served as the French Naval Ministry. Shortly after its construction, the western building became the opulent home of the Duc d’Aumont. It was later purchased by the Comte de Crillon, whose family resided there until 1907. The famous luxury Hôtel de Crillon, which currently occupies the building, took its name from its previous owners.

During the French Revolution the statue of Louis XV of France was torn down and the area renamed Place de la Révolution. The new revolutionary government erected the guillotine in the square, and it was here that King Louis XVI was executed on 21 January 1793. In just about 2.5 yrears the Jacobins executed 1119 people here. In 1795, under the Directory, the square was renamed Place de la Concorde as a gesture of reconciliation after the turmoil of the French Revolution. After the Bourbon Restoration of 1814, the name was changed back to Place Louis XV, and in 1826 the square was renamed Place Louis XVI. After the July Revolution of 1830 the name was returned to Place de la Concorde and has remained since.

Fountaine des Mers © Robert Raderschatt © Jorge Royan - www.royan.com.ar/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Nitot/cc-by-sa-3.0 Seen from Place de la Concorde © Palagret
<
>
© Jorge Royan - www.royan.com.ar/cc-by-sa-3.0
The center of the Place is occupied by a giant Egyptian obelisk decorated with hieroglyphics exalting the reign of the pharaoh Ramesses II. It is one of two the Egyptian government gave to the French in the 19th century. The other one stayed in Egypt, too difficult and heavy to move to France with the technology at that time. In the 1990s, President François Mitterrand gave the second obelisk back to the Egyptians. The obelisk once marked the entrance to the Luxor Temple. The self-declared Khedive of Egypt, Muhammad Ali Pasha, offered the 3,300-year-old Luxor Obelisk to France in 1829. It arrived in Paris on 21 December 1833. Three years later, on 25 October 1836, King Louis Philippe had it placed in the center of Place de la Concorde. The obelisk, a yellow granite column, rises 23 metres (75 ft) high, including the base, and weighs over 250 metric tons (280 short tons). Given the technical limitations of the day, transporting it was no easy feat — on the pedestal are drawn diagrams explaining the machinery that was used for the transportation. The obelisk is flanked on both sides by fountains constructed at the time of its erection on the Place. Missing its original cap, believed stolen in the 6th century BC, the government of France added a gold-leafed pyramid cap to the top of the obelisk in 1998.

The two fountains in the Place de la Concorde have been the most famous of the fountains built during the time of Louis-Philippe, and came to symbolize the fountains in Paris. They were designed by Jacques Ignace Hittorff, a student of the Neoclassical designer Charles Percier at the École des Beaux-Arts. The German-born Hittorff had served as the official Architect of Festivals and Ceremonies for the deposed King, and had spent two years studying the architecture and fountains of Italy. Hittorff’s two fountains were on the theme of rivers and seas, in part because of their proximity to the Ministry of Navy, and to the Seine. Their arrangement, on a north-south axis aligned with the Obelisk of Luxor and the Rue Royale, and the form of the fountains themselves, were influenced by the fountains of Rome, particularly Piazza Navona and the Piazza San Pietro, both of which had obelisks aligned with fountains. Both fountains had the same form: a stone basin; six figures of tritons or naiads holding fish spouting water; six seated allegorical figures, their feet on the prows of ships, supporting the pedestal, of the circular vasque; four statues of different forms of genius in arts or crafts supporting the upper inverted upper vasque; whose water shot up and then cascaded down to the lower vasque and then the basin. The north fountain was devoted to the Rivers, with allegorical figures representing the Rhone and the Rhine, the arts of the harvesting of flowers and fruits, harvesting and grape growing; and the geniuses of river navigation, industry, and agriculture. The south fountain, closer to the Seine, represented the seas, with figures representing the Atlantic and the Mediterranean; harvesting coral; harvesting fish; collecting shellfish; collecting pearls; and the geniuses of astronomy, navigation and commerce.

Read more on Place de la Concorde and Wikipedia Place de la Concorde (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Hotel Nacional de Cuba

Hotel Nacional de Cuba

[caption id="attachment_165301" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Tony Hisgett/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Hotel Nacional de Cuba is a historic luxury hotel located on the Malecón in the middle of Vedado in Havana, Cuba. It stands on Taganana hill a few metres from the sea, and offers a view of Havana Harbour, the seawall and the city. The New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White designed the hotel, which features a mix of styles. It opened in 1930, when Cuba was a prime travel destination...

[ read more ]

Grand Bazaar in Tehran

Grand Bazaar in Tehran

[caption id="attachment_163291" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Antoine Taveneaux/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Grand Bazaar (Persian: Bāzār e Bozorg) is an old historical market in Tehran, the capital of Iran. Located at the Arg Square in Southern Tehran, it is split into several corridors over 10 km in length, each specializing in different types of goods, and has several entrances, with the main being the entrance of Sabze Meydan. In addition to shops, the Grand Bazaar of Tehran has contained banks, mosques...

[ read more ]

Garden Route in South Africa

Garden Route in South Africa

[caption id="attachment_216510" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Eastern Cape © flickr.com - South African Tourism/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Garden Route is a 300-kilometre (190 mi) stretch of the south-eastern coast of South Africa which extends from Witsand in the Western Cape to the border of Tsitsikamma Storms River in the Eastern Cape. The name comes from the verdant and ecologically diverse vegetation encountered here and the numerous estuaries and lakes dotted along the coast. It includes towns such as Knys...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Steinway & Sons, manufacturer of grand pianos and pianos

Portrait: Steinway & Sons, manufacturer of grand pianos and pianos

[caption id="attachment_162558" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Steinway & Sons[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Steinway & Sons, also known as Steinway, is an American and German piano company, founded in 1853 in Manhattan, New York City, by German immigrant Heinrich Engelhard Steinweg (later known as Henry E. Steinway). The company's growth led to the opening of a factory in Queens, New York City, and a factory in Hamburg, Germany. The factory in Queens supplies the Americas and the factory in Hamburg supplies the rest of the wor...

[ read more ]

Piraeus on the east coast of the Saronic Gulf

Piraeus on the east coast of the Saronic Gulf

[caption id="attachment_161094" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mikrolimano © Templar52[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Piraeus is a port city in the region of Attica. Piraeus is located within the Athens-Piraeus Urban Area, 12 km southwest from its city center (municipality of Athens), and lies along the east coast of the Saronic Gulf. According to the 2001 census, Piraeus had a population of 175,697 people within its administrative limits, making it the third largest municipality in Greece and the second largest within the...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Umbria - Castiglione del Lago

Theme Week Umbria - Castiglione del Lago

[caption id="attachment_153579" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Castiglione del Lago and Lake Trasimeno Panorama © Adrian Michael/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Castiglione del Lago is a town in the Province of Perugia in central Italy, on the southwest corner of Lake Trasimeno. Orvieto is 59 km (37 mi) south, Chiusi is 21 km (13 mi) to the south west, Arezzo is 56 km (35 mi) to the north west, Cortona is 21 km (13 mi) to the north and Perugia is 47 km (29 mi) to the south east. The Association The most beautiful villa...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Rome - Castel Sant'Angelo, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon

Theme Week Rome - Castel Sant'Angelo, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon

[caption id="attachment_152615" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Castle Sant'Angelo © Andreas Tille[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]CASTEL SANT'ANGELO The Mausoleum of Hadrian, usually known as the Castel Sant'Angelo, is a towering cylindrical building in Rome. It was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum. The popes converted the structure into a castle, from the 14th century; Pope N...

[ read more ]

Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.

Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.

[caption id="attachment_220163" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Capitol, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, and congressional office buildings© Library of Congress - Carol M. Highsmith[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Capitol Hill, in addition to being a metonym for the United States Congress, is the largest historic residential neighborhood in Washington, D.C., stretching easterly in front of the United States Capitol along wide avenues. It is one of the oldest residential neighborhoods in Washington, D.C., and, with roughly 35,000...

[ read more ]

The schooner Western Union

The schooner Western Union

[caption id="attachment_151756" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © schoonerwesternunion.org[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]A restored schooner that served the Western Union Telegraph Company and now carries visitors on leisure trips from Key West has been fully refurbished after a three-year, $1.25 million effort. Residents celebrated the restoratino Saturday. Refurbishment of the 72-year-old, 130-foot Western Union was spearheaded by a local organization formed to preserve the vessel and keep it home-ported in Key West, ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Madrid - The Cuatro Torres Business Area

Theme Week Madrid - The Cuatro Torres Business Area

[caption id="attachment_153898" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Archivaldo/cc-by-3.0[/caption] [responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cuatro Torres Business Area (CTBA) (Spanish for Four Towers Business Area) is a business district located in the Paseo de la Castellana in Madrid, on the former Ciudad Deportiva of Real Madrid. The area contains the tallest skyscrapers in Madrid and Spain. The construction of the buildings finished in 2008. The complex was formerly known as Madrid Arena. Designed by Henry N. Cobb and built by Obrascón Huarte Lain...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Martin Dürrschnabel/cc-by-sa-2.5
Carnegie Hall in New York

Carnegie Hall is a concert venue in Midtown Manhattan in New York City, located at 881 Seventh Avenue, occupying the...

Dhows Parade during Qatar National Day © flickr.com - Mohamod Fasil/cc-by-2.0
Dhow, the traditional sailing vessel of the Read Sea, the Persian Gulf and the Indian Ocean

Dhow is the generic name of a number of traditional sailing vessels with one or more masts with lateen sails...

College of Europe © Diderotresurrected/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Warsaw – College of Europe

The College of Europe (French: Collège d'Europe) is an independent university institute of postgraduate European studies with the main campus...

Schließen