Passage Jouffroy in Paris

Monday, 15 June 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Paris / Île-de-France
Reading Time:  4 minutes

© Ali Sabbagh

© Ali Sabbagh

The Passage Jouffroy is a covered passages of Paris located in the 9th arrondissement. It runs between the Boulevard Montmartre to the south and the Rue de la Grange-Batelière to the north. The Passage Jouffroy is a covered walkway in the south of the 9th arrondissement of Paris, on the border with the 2nd arrondissement. It begins in the south between 10 and 12 boulevard Montmartre, and ends in the north at 9 rue de la Grange-Batelière (Boulevards of Paris).

Each passage is about 140 metres (460 ft) long and 4 metres (13 ft) wide. About 80 metres (260 ft) from its entrance on the Boulevard Montmartre, the passage makes a right angle turn and runs west for a few metres before descending some stairs. It then continues in a northerly direction to its outlet on the rue Grange-Batelière. This was imposed by the irregular pattern of the three plots on which the passage was built. This last part of the passage is particularly narrow, leaving room only for the corridor and a shop. The Passage des Panoramas opens as a continuation of the passage Jouffroy on the other side of the Boulevard Montmartre. The Passage Verdeau does the same on the other side, after crossing the street from the Grange Batelière. The passage is covered by a canopy of metal and glass. An ornate clock stucco overlooks the alley. The floor is paved with a geometric pattern composed of white, gray and black squares. The exit from the Musée Grévin is located inside the Passage Jouffroy.

© Chabe01/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Chabe01/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Ali Sabbagh © Ali Sabbagh © Clicsouris/cc-by-sa-2.5 © David Pendery/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Felixyns/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Rilba/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
© David Pendery/cc-by-sa-4.0
The Passage Jouffroy was built in 1845 along the line of the Passage des Panoramas in order to capitalize on the popularity of the latter. A private company was formed to manage it, headed by Count Félix de Jouffroy-Gonsans (1791–1863), who gave his name to the passage, and Verdeau, who gave his name to the passage that was built as a further extension, the Passage Verdeau. The passage was built by architects François Destailleur and Romain de Bourges. The Passage Jouffroy represents an important stage in the technological evolution of the 19th century and the mastery of iron structures. It is the first Parisian passage built entirely of metal and glass. Only the decorative elements are wooden. It is also the first passage heated by the ground.

In the early 1880s Arthur Meyer, founder of the newspaper Le Gaulois, joined the cartoonist Alfred Grévin to create a gallery of wax figures on a property adjacent to the passage. It was inaugurated on 10 January 1882 and has since taken the name of the Musée Grévin. The exit of the museum, decorated with a montage of various characters, is in the passage and contributes in large part to its success. The museum includes a hall of mirrors that was originally housed in the Palais des mirages designed by Eugène Hénard for the Exposition Universelle (1900). In 1974 the passage was registered as a monument historique. The passage was completely renovated in 1987 and regained its original paving.

Read more on parisinfo.com – Passage Jouffroy and Wikipedia Passage Jouffroy (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.








Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week New Caledonia - Koné

Theme Week New Caledonia - Koné

[caption id="attachment_150832" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cultural Center © Torbenbrinker/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Koné is a commune in the North Province. Koné is the provincial seat of the North Province. Besides Koné as the largest district are Koniambo and Tiaoué as the smallest settlements of the municipality. Ten different tribes live in the municipality of Koné. Koné is due to the humid west coast of the largest island of New Caledonia Grande Terre and also includes Île Pingiane an off the coa...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Apulia - Lecce

Theme Week Apulia - Lecce

[caption id="attachment_203945" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Santa Croce © panoramio.com - Lamberto Zannotti/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lecce is a historic city of 95,000 inhabitants in southern Italy, the capital of the province of Lecce, the second province in the region by population, as well as one of the most important cities of Apulia. It is the main city of the Salentine Peninsula, a sub-peninsula at the heel of the Italian Peninsula and is over 2,000 years old. Because of the rich Baroque archite...

[ read more ]

Promenade des Anglais in Nice

Promenade des Anglais in Nice

[caption id="attachment_161458" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © W. M. Connolley/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Promenade des Anglais is a celebrated promenade along the Mediterranean. Starting in the second half of the 18th century, the English took to spending the winter in Nice, enjoying the panorama along the coast. In 1820 when a particularly harsh winter up north brought an influx of beggars to Nice, some of the English proposed a useful project for them: the construction of a walkway (chemin de promenade) a...

[ read more ]

Curaçao in the Caribbean

Curaçao in the Caribbean

[caption id="attachment_153523" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sea Aquarium © Bjørn Christian Tørrissen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Curaçao is an island in the southern Caribbean Sea, off the Venezuelan coast, that forms part of the Dutch Caribbean. The Country of Curaçao (Dutch: Land Curaçao; Papiamento: Pais Kòrsou), which includes the main island and the small, uninhabited island of Klein Curaçao ("Little Curaçao"), is a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. It has a population of over 1...

[ read more ]

Port Stephens in New South Wales

Port Stephens in New South Wales

[caption id="attachment_167412" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Jimmy's Beach (Winda Woppa) toward Yacabba Headland © J.lyle[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Port Stephens, an open youthful tide dominated drowned valley estuary, is a large natural harbour of approximately 134 square kilometres (52 sq mi) located in the Hunter Region of New South Wales and is larger than Sydney Harbour. Port Stephens lies within the Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park and is situated about 160 kilometres (99 mi) north-east of Sydney. The park was es...

[ read more ]

Theme Week East Jerusalem

Theme Week East Jerusalem

[caption id="attachment_173008" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Orient House, the unofficial town hall of East Jerusalem © Abutoum[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]East Jerusalem is the sector of Jerusalem that was occupied by Jordan in 1948 and had remained out of the Israeli-held West Jerusalem at the end of the 1948–49 Arab–Israeli War. It includes Jerusalem's Old City and some of the holiest sites of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, such as the Temple Mount, Western Wall, Al-Aqsa Mosque, Dome of the Rock and the Church of th...

[ read more ]

Fowey in Cornwall

Fowey in Cornwall

[caption id="attachment_153185" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Stefan Germer[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fowey is a small town, civil parish and cargo port at the mouth of the River Fowey in south Cornwall in England. At the time of the 2001 census, it had a population of 2,273. Fowey is in the South Coast (Eastern Section) of the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It lies at the end of the Saints' Way and has ferries across the river to Polruan (foot) and Bodinnick (vehicle). There are many historic buildings in th...

[ read more ]

Williamsburg in Brooklyn

Williamsburg in Brooklyn

[caption id="attachment_165471" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bedford Avenue © flickr.com - LWYang/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Williamsburg is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, bordering Greenpoint to the north; Bedford–Stuyvesant to the south; Bushwick, East Williamsburg, and Ridgewood, Queens to the east; and Fort Greene and the East River to the west. Since the late 1990s, Williamsburg has undergone gentrification characterized by hipster culture, a contemporary art scene, and vibrant nigh...

[ read more ]

Grosseto in Tuscany

Grosseto in Tuscany

[caption id="attachment_154386" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Porto Romano dell'Isola di Giannutri © Aldo Ardetti/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Grosseto is a city and comune in the central Italian region of Tuscany, the capital of the Province of Grosseto. The city lies 14 kilometres (9 miles) from the Tyrrhenian Sea, in the Maremma, at the centre of an alluvial plain on the Ombrone river. It is the most populous city in Maremma, with 83,000 inhabitants. The comune of Grosseto includes the frazioni of Marina...

[ read more ]

The military research & survey ship Planet

The military research & survey ship Planet

[caption id="attachment_223405" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Dr. Lothar Ginzkey/cc-by-sa-2.0-de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Planet of the German Navy is the most modern naval research ship within NATO. It was built as a SWATH design in order to reduce the hull volume and to increase the ship's stability, particularly in high seas and at high speed. It is used for geophysics and naval technology trials and research. While technically not armed, it is equipped with torpedo launch capability. Other weapons systems can be insta...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Schlamniel
Naschmarkt in Vienna

The Naschmarkt is Vienna's most popular market. Located at the Wienzeile over the Wien River, it is about 1.5 kilometres...

© Boris Macek/cc-by-sa-3.0
Market place Jemaa el-Fnaa in Marrakesh

Jemaa el-Fnaa is a square and market place in Marrakesh's medina quarter (old city). It remains the main square of...

© Julian Herzog/cc-by-4.0
Copenhagen Opera House

The Copenhagen Opera House is the national opera house of Denmark, and among the most modern opera houses in the...

Schließen