Parliament Hill in Ottawa

Friday, 2 October 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  6 minutes

© Coolcaesar/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Coolcaesar/cc-by-sa-3.0

Parliament Hill (French: Colline du Parlement), colloquially known as The Hill, is an area of Crown land on the southern banks of the Ottawa River in downtown Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Its Gothic revival suite of buildings is the home of the Parliament of Canada and has architectural elements of national symbolic importance. Parliament Hill attracts approximately 3 million visitors each year. Law enforcement on Parliament Hill and in the parliamentary precinct is the responsibility of the Parliamentary Protective Service (PPS).

Originally the site of a military base in the 18th and early 19th centuries, development of the area into a governmental precinct began in 1859, after Queen Victoria chose Ottawa as the capital of the Province of Canada. Following a number of extensions to the parliament and departmental buildings and a fire in 1916 that destroyed the Centre Block, Parliament Hill took on its present form with the completion of the Peace Tower in 1927. Since 2002, an extensive $1 billion renovation and rehabilitation project has been underway throughout all of the precinct’s buildings; work is not expected to be complete until after 2028.

Centre Block with Peace Tower © Arctic.gnome/cc-by-2.5 © Coolcaesar/cc-by-sa-3.0 East Block © flickr.com - Rick Ligthelm/cc-by-sa-3.0 East Block © Montrealais/cc-by-sa-3.0 © flickr.com - tsaiproject/cc-by-2.0 Parliament Buildings with Parliament Library © Peter Jakubinek/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Wladyslaw/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Parliament Buildings with Parliament Library © Peter Jakubinek/cc-by-sa-4.0
The 88,480 square metres (952,391 sq ft) area, maintained by the National Capital Commission, is named by the Parliament of Canada Act as Parliament Hill and defined as resting between the Ottawa River on the north, the Rideau Canal on the east, Wellington Street on the south, and a service road (Kent Street) near the Supreme Court on the west. The south front of the property is demarcated by a Victorian High Gothic wrought iron fence, named the Wellington Wall and in the centre of which, on axis with the Peace Tower to the north, sits the formal entrance to Parliament Hill: the Queen’s Gates, forged by Ives & Co. of Montreal. At each southern corner of the quadrangle are also smaller gates for every-day access. The main outdoor area of The Hill is the quadrangle, formed by the arrangement of the parliament and departmental buildings on the site, and laid out in a formal garden fashion. This expanse is the site of major celebrations, demonstrations, and traditional shows, such as the changing of the guard, or the annual Canada Day celebrations. To the sides of the buildings, the grounds are set in the English garden style, dotted with statues, memorials, and, at the northwest corner, a Carpenter Gothic structure called the Summer Gazebo, a 1995 reconstruction of an earlier gazebo, Summer House, built for the Speaker of the House of Commons in 1877 by Thomas Seton Scott and demolished in 1956.> Beyond the edges of these landscaped areas, the escarpment remains in its natural state. Though Parliament Hill remains the heart of the parliamentary precinct, expansion beyond the bounded area described above began in 1884, with the construction of the Langevin Block across Wellington Street. After land to the east, across the canal, was purchased by private interests (to build the Château Laurier hotel), growth of the parliamentary infrastructure moved westward along Wellington, with the erection in the 1930s of the Confederation and Justice Buildings on the north side, and then further construction to the south. By the 1970s, the Crown began purchasing other structures or leasing space deeper within the downtown, civic area of Ottawa. In 1973, the Crown expropriated the entire block between Wellington and Sparks Streets with the intent of constructing a south block for Parliament Hill. However, the government dropped this proposal and instead, constructed more office space in Hull, Quebec, such as the Terrasses de la Chaudière and Place du Portage. In 1976, the Parliament Buildings and the grounds of Parliament Hill were each designated as National Historic Sites of Canada, given their importance as the physical embodiment of the Canadian government and as the focal point of national celebrations. The Parliament of Canada Act renders it illegal for anyone to name any other area or establishment within the National Capital Region as Parliament Hill, as well as forbidding the production of merchandise with that name on it. Any violation of this law is punishable on summary conviction.

The Parliament Buildings are three edifices arranged around three sides of Parliament Hill’s central lawn, the use and administration of the spaces within each building overseen by the speakers of each chamber of the legislature. The Centre Block has the Senate and Commons chambers, and is fronted by the Peace Tower on the south facade, with the Library of Parliament at the building’s rear. The East and West Blocks each contain ministers’ and senators’ offices, as well as meeting rooms and other administrative spaces. Gothic Revival has been used as the unifying style of all three structures, though the Centre Block is a more modern Gothic Revival, while the older East and West Blocks are of a Victorian High Gothic (Canadian Parliament Buildings).

Read more on Visit Canada’s Parliament, Canada.ca – Parliament Hill, OttawaTourism.ca – Guided tours of Parliament and Wikipedia Parliament Hill (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Raine Island National Park in Queensland

Raine Island National Park in Queensland

[caption id="attachment_218341" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Green Sea Turtles and Masked Boobies © National Marine Sanctuaries - Mark Sullivan[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Raine Island is a vegetated coral cay 32 hectares (79 acres) in total area situated on the outer edges of the Great Barrier Reef off north-eastern Australia. It lies approximately 620 km (390 mi) north-northwest of Cairns in Queensland, about 120 kilometres (75 mi) east-north-east of Cape Grenville on the Cape York Peninsula. Raine Island is the site of the...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Cyclades - Folegandros

Theme Week Cyclades - Folegandros

[caption id="attachment_153472" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Oliwan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Folegandros is a small Greek island in the Aegean Sea which, together with Sikinos, Ios, Anafi and Santorini, forms the southern part of the Cyclades. Its surface area is about 32 square kilometres (12 sq mi) and it has 765 inhabitants. It has three small villages, Chora, Karavostasis, and Ano Meria, which are connected by a paved road. Folegandros is part of the Thira regional unit. Little is known about the...

[ read more ]

Périgueux in Aquitaine

Périgueux in Aquitaine

[caption id="attachment_160951" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall © Père Igor/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Périgueux is a commune in the Dordogne department in Aquitaine in southwestern France. Périgueux is the prefecture of the départment and was the capital of the historic County of Périgord. The city has 30,000 inhabitants and is the biggest city in the Dordogne department. River Isle flow from east to west through the city. The name Périgueux comes from Petrocorii, a Latinization of Celtic w...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Andalusia - Isla Cristina

Theme Week Andalusia - Isla Cristina

[caption id="attachment_153227" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Plaza Flores © Fanattiq/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Isla Cristina is a city and municipality located in the province of Huelva. The city has a population of 21,324 inhabitants. Isla Cristina remains one of the most important fishing ports in Huelva province, its catch being highly prized throughout Spain. It is a popular summer holiday resort, particularly with the Spaniards themselves. Sevillanos flock to the area in July and August, much of the a...

[ read more ]

Château Haut-Brion in Aquitaine

Château Haut-Brion in Aquitaine

[caption id="attachment_163258" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Château Haut-Brion © flickr.com - BillBl/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Château Haut-Brion is a French wine, rated a Premier Cru Classé (First Growth), produced in Pessac just outside the city of Bordeaux. It differs from the other wines on the list in its geographic location in the north of the wine-growing region of Graves. Of the five first growths, it is the only wine with the Pessac-Léognan appellation and is in some sense the ancestor of a classific...

[ read more ]

The Museum Island in Berlin

The Museum Island in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_161243" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © museumsinsel-berlin.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Museum Island (German: Museumsinsel) is the name of the northern half of an island in the Spree river in the central Mitte district of Berlin, Germany, the site of the old city of Cölln. It is so called for the complex of five internationally significant museums, all part of the Berlin State Museums, that occupy the island's northern part: The Altes Museum (Old Museum) completed on the orders of Karl Frie...

[ read more ]

The Republic of Iceland

The Republic of Iceland

[caption id="attachment_160600" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Reykjavík - Hotel Borg built in 1930 by architect Guðjón Samúelsson © TommyBee[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Iceland is a European island country in the north Atlantic Ocean on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. It has a population of about 320,000 and a total area of 103,000 km2 (39,769 sq mi). The capital and the largest city is Reykjavík, with the surrounding areas in the southwestern region of the country being home to two-thirds of the country's population. Iceland is ...

[ read more ]

Downtown Toronto

Downtown Toronto

[caption id="attachment_214648" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Downtown Toronto seen from Toronto Islands © Arild Vågen/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Downtown Toronto is the main central business district of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Located entirely within the district of Old Toronto (neighbourhoods in Toronto), it is approximately 17 square kilometres in area, bounded by Bloor Street to the northeast and Dupont Street to the northwest, Lake Ontario to the south, the Don Valley to the east, and Bathurst Street to t...

[ read more ]

Eschwege in the Werra Valley

Eschwege in the Werra Valley

[caption id="attachment_151388" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Eschwege © Varus111[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Eschwege, the district seat of the Werra-Meißner-Kreis, is a town in northeastern Hesse. At the time of founding, Eschwege was known as Eskiniwach, meaning "Settlement near the ash trees at the water". Older people living in town and nearby also say Eschewei or Ischewei. These names may stem from High German and come from Eschwege’s original Germanic name. The town lies on a broad plain tract of the river We...

[ read more ]

The Nibelungen and Luther City of Worms

The Nibelungen and Luther City of Worms

[caption id="attachment_160789" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Nibelungen Bridge over Rhine river © Heidas[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Worms is a city in Rhineland-Palatinate on the Rhine River with 82,000 inhabitants. The climate in the Rhine River Valley is very temperate in the winter time and quite enjoyable in the summertime. Rainfall is below average for the surrounding areas. Snow accumulation in the winter is very low and often melts within a short period of time. Established by the Celts, who called it Borbetom...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
leaving New York City © Erik Koblence/cc-by-3.0
The Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Sunshine (formerly Carnival Destiny) is a cruise ship operated by Carnival Cruise Line. Upon entering service in 1996, she...

© Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0
Quinta da Regaleira in Portugal

Quinta da Regaleira is a quinta located near the historic centre of Sintra, Portugal. It is classified as a World...

Haulover Beach at north Miami Beach © flickr.com - Infrogmation of New Orleans/cc-by-2.0
Haulover Park in Florida

Haulover Park is a 177-acre (72 ha) urban park owned and operated by Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation & Open Spaces...

Schließen