Theme Week Potsdam – Sanssouci Park

Friday, 23 December 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Architecture, General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, UNESCO World Heritage

Sanssouci © Mbzt/cc-by-sa-3.0

Sanssouci © Mbzt/cc-by-sa-3.0

Sanssouci Park is a large park surrounding Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam. Following the terracing of the vineyard and the completion of the palace, the surroundings were included in the structure. A baroque flower garden with lawns, flower beds, hedges and trees was created. In the hedge quarter 3,000 fruit trees were planted. The greenhouses of the numerous nurseries contained oranges, melons, peaches and bananas. The goddesses Flora and Pomona, who decorate the entrance obelisk at the eastern park exit, were placed there to highlight the connection of a flower, fruit and vegetable garden. With the expansion of the site after the creation of more buildings, a 2.5 km long straight main avenue was built. It began in the east at the 1748 obelisk and over the years was extended all the way to the New Palace, which marks its end in the west. In 1764 the picture gallery was constructed, followed by the New Chambers in 1774. They flank the palace and open the alley up to rondels with the fountains, surrounded by marble statues. From there paths lead in a star pattern between tall hedges to further parts of the gardens.

In his organisation of the park, Frederick the Great continued what he had begun in Neuruppin and Rheinsberg. During his stay as Crown Prince in Neuruppin, where he was commander of a regiment from 1732 to 1735, he ordered that a flower, fruit and vegetable garden be laid out in the grounds of his abode. He already deviated here from the classical organisation of baroque gardens, which concerned themselves purely with the model represented by Versailles, by combining the beautiful and the useful. He also followed this principle in Rheinsberg. Apart from the transformation of the palace, which Frederick received as a present from his father Frederick William I in 1734, he ordered the establishment of fruit and vegetable garden areas enclosed by hedges. In addition the central avenue and a larger intersecting avenue did not lead directly to the palace, as was usual in French parks of the era, but took off from the south wing and at a right angle to the building. Frederick invested heavily in the fountain system of Sanssouci Park, as water features were a firm component of baroque gardens. But the Neptune Grotto, finished in 1757 in the eastern part of the park, was used just as little for its intended function as the fountain facilities. Atop the Ruinenberg, roughly six hundred metres away, was a water basin from which no water could arrive into the park and because of the “fountaineers”‘ lack of expertise the project failed. It did not succeed until steam power was employed one hundred years later, and thus the purpose of the water reservoir was finally fulfilled. In October 1842 an 81.4 horsepower steam engine built by August Borsig started working and made the water jet of the Great Fountain below the vineyard terraces rise to a height of 38 metres. A pumping station on the Havel was especially built for this machine. It was commissioned by Frederick William IV and built by Ludwig Persius between 1841 and 1843, “in the manner of a Turkish Mosque with a minaret as a chimney”.

Sanssouci - Aerial view © Sven Scharr/cc-by-3.0 Sanssouci © Paul Odörfer/cc-by-sa-3.0 Sanssouci © Steffen Heilfort/cc-by-sa-3.0 Sanssouci with vineyard © Torinberl/cc-by-sa-3.0 Temple of Friendship © Steffen Heilfort/cc-by-sa-3.0 Picture Gallery interior © Ruhrfisch/cc-by-sa-3.0 Antique Temple © Paul Odörfer/cc-by-sa-3.0 Belvedere © Lux lb Charlottenhof Palace © flickr.com - Rictor Norton/cc-by-2.0 Chinese House © Gryffindor/cc-by-sa-3.0 Church of Peace © Olaf Oehlsen/cc-by-sa-3.0 Dragon House © Acf Sanssouci © Mbzt/cc-by-sa-3.0 New Palace © Steffen Heilfort/cc-by-sa-3.0 Orangery Palace © Arild Vågen/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Charlottenhof Palace © flickr.com - Rictor Norton/cc-by-2.0
Many years earlier, Frederick William III had acquired an area which bordered Sanssouci Park to the south and given it to his son Frederick William IV for Christmas in 1825. There Karl Friedrich Schinkel and Ludwig Persius built Charlottenhof Palace on the site of a former farm house and Peter Joseph Lenné was commissioned with the garden design. With the baroque flower and fruit and vegetable gardens from the Frederician era in mind, the garden architect converted the flat and partly swampy grounds into an open landscape park. Broad meadows created visual avenues between Charlottenhof, the Roman Baths and the New Palace with the Temple of Friendship developed from the time of Frederick the Great. Casually placed groups of bushes and trees and a moat that was broadened into a pond at its southeastern end beautify the large park. Lenné used the materials excavated to create the pond to construct a gentle hilly area landscape where the paths meet in the shape of stars at the high points.

Built under Frederick the Great: Sanssouci, Picture Gallery, New Chambers, Neptune Grotto, Chinese House, New Palace, Temple of Friendship, Antique Temple and Obelisk entrance and the Obelisk.

Built under Frederick William IV: Roman Baths and Church of Peace with the neighbouring group of buildings.

In the neighbouring area of Sanssouci: Ensemble of artistic ruins on the Ruinenberg, Belvedere on the Klausberg, Dragon House, Orangery Palace or the New Orangery on the Klausberg, Charlottenhof Palace and Kaiserbahnhof at Potsdam Park Sanssouci railway station.

Read more on spsg.de – Sanssouci Park and Website Sanssouci Park (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Yitzhak Rabin Center in Tel Aviv

Yitzhak Rabin Center in Tel Aviv

[caption id="attachment_205925" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Avishai Teicher/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Yitzhak Rabin Center is a library and research center in Tel Aviv, Israel, built in memory of assassinated Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin. The Yitzhak Rabin Center, designed by the Israeli architect, Moshe Safdie, sits on a hill commanding a panoramic view of Yarkon Park and Tel Aviv, near the Eretz Israel Museum, the Palmach Museum, Tel Aviv University and Beth Hatefutsoth. The inauguration c...

[ read more ]

Huntington Beach, Surf City USA

Huntington Beach, Surf City USA

[caption id="attachment_150642" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Huntington Beach Pier © Mcclane2010/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Huntington Beach is a seaside city in Orange County in Southern California. The city is named after American businessman Henry E. Huntington. The population is at 200,000, making it the most populous beach city in Orange County. It is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the southwest, by Seal Beach on the northwest, by Costa Mesa on the east, by Newport Beach on the southeast, by Westminster o...

[ read more ]

Tallahassee, the capital of Florida

Tallahassee, the capital of Florida

[caption id="attachment_167427" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Unlike most of Florida, Tallaahassee experiences all four seasons © Urbantallahassee/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tallahassee is the capital of Florida. It is the county seat and only incorporated municipality in Leon County. Tallahassee became the capital of Florida, then the Florida Territory, in 1824. The population is at 190,000, making the city the 126th-largest city in the United States. Tallahassee is the largest city in the Northwest Florida regi...

[ read more ]

Cádiz in Andalusia

Cádiz in Andalusia

[caption id="attachment_152654" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cadiz Palace - City Hall © Falkue[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cadiz is a city and port in southwestern Spain. It is the capital of the homonymous province, one of eight which make up the autonomous community of Andalusia. Cadiz, the oldest continuously-inhabited city in the Iberian Peninsula and possibly all southwestern Europe, has been a principal home port of the Spanish Navy since the accession of the Spanish Bourbons in the 18th century. The city is a m...

[ read more ]

Hotel Grande Bretagne in Athens

Hotel Grande Bretagne in Athens

[caption id="attachment_6878" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © grandebretagne.gr[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Hotel Grande Bretagne is a luxury city hotel in Greece, one of the most luxurious in southeastern Europe. It is located in central Athens immediately adjacent to Syntagma Square, on the corner of Vasileos Georgiou A' and Panepistimiou Streets, and is now part of the Marriott company. The structure was built in 1842 as a house for Antonis Dimitriou, a wealthy Greek from the island of Limnos, only 12 years afte...

[ read more ]

Deerfield Beach in Florida

Deerfield Beach in Florida

[caption id="attachment_201585" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © D Ramey Logan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Deerfield Beach is a city in Broward County, Florida, United States, just south of the Palm Beach County line. The city is named for the numerous deer that once roamed the area. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 75,018. It is a principal city of the Miami metropolitan area, which is home to an estimated 6,158,824 inhabitants as of 2017. Deerfield Beach's history dates to 1890 when...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Henry John Heinz

Portrait: Henry John Heinz

[caption id="attachment_163112" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Hard Rock Cafe Paris © flickr.com - Flavio Ensiki/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Henry John Heinz was an American businessman who founded the H. J. Heinz Company. Heinz Field, which is the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL team, is named in his honor. Heinz was born October 11, 1844 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the son of John Henry Heinz (1811–1891), of Kallstadt, Kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, and Anna Margaretha Schmidt (1822–1899), of Haunetal-Kruspis...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Dubai - Downtown Dubai

Theme Week Dubai - Downtown Dubai

[caption id="attachment_154494" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Downtown Dubai model © Imre Solt/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Downtown Dubai, previously known as Downtown Burj Dubai, is a large-scale, mixed-use complex under development in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It is the home of some of the city's most important landmarks. It covers an area of 2 square kilometres (0.77 sq mi), at an estimated cost of US$20 billion (Dh73 billion) upon completion. The complex is situated along Sheikh Zayed Road, across from Al W...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Hotel Inglatera © Gotanero/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Havana – La Habana Vieja

Old Havana (Spanish: La Habana Vieja) is the city-center (downtown) and one of the 15 municipalities (or boroughs) forming Havana....

Piscine Molitor in 2015 © flickr.com - BikerNormand/cc-by-sa-2.0
Hotel Piscine Molitor in Paris

Piscine Molitor (Grands établissements balnéaires d'Auteuil) is a swimming pool and hotel complex located in Porte Molitor, 16th arrondissement of...

© Ben W Bell/cc-by-sa-3.0
Blickling Hall in Norfolk

Blickling Hall is a stately home which is part of the Blickling estate. It is located in the village of...

Schließen