East India House in Amsterdam

Wednesday, 1 November 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Architecture
Reading Time:  4 minutes

Courtyard © Iijjccoo/cc-by-sa-3.0

Courtyard © Iijjccoo/cc-by-sa-3.0

The East India House (Dutch: “Oost-Indisch Huis”) is an early 17th-century building in the centre of Amsterdam. It was the headquarters of the Amsterdam chamber of the Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC). It is a listed Dutch national heritage site (rijksmonument).

In 1603, the Amsterdam chamber of the East India Company began using part of the Bushuis armory on the Kloveniersburgwal canal as a warehouse. Two years later, the East India Company took over the whole building. However, the company still lacked meeting and office space, so a new building was constructed directly adjacent to the Bushuis. This building, completed in 1606, was called the Oost-Indisch Huis (“East India House”) and was the first building especially built for the East India Company. In 1663-64, the western wing was extended. In addition, a northern wing was added, so that the building now also bordered the street Oude Hoogstraat. The last major extension was added between 1658 and 1661. A gate with Tuscan-style pilasters and a small tunnel lead to an inner courtyard with elegant facades in Amsterdam Renaissance style, a style closely identified with the architect Hendrick de Keyser, who was most likely responsible for designing the building.

The Oost-Indisch Huis was the first building especially built for the East India Company. It was multifunctional, serving simultaneously as a warehouse, administrative center, office and auction room. The building served as the headquarters of the Amsterdam chamber (Kamer) of the East India Company. The 20 regents of the Amsterdam chamber met here. In addition, the majority of meetings of the Heeren XVII (the Lords Seventeen), the regents of the East India Company, were also held at the Oost-Indisch Huis. Shipcrews were recruited here, and the archives and map collection of the East India Company were also kept here.

© flickr.com - jimmyweee/cc-by-2.0 © J. Patrick Fischer/cc-by-3.0 © panoramio.com - Carlo Pelagalli/cc-by-sa-3.0 © panoramio.com - Patrick Nouhailler's…/cc-by-sa-3.0 Courtyard © Iijjccoo/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
© panoramio.com - Patrick Nouhailler's…/cc-by-sa-3.0
After the East India Company was dissolved in 1798, the building served until 1808 as the seat of the colonial government of the Batavian Republic. In 1891, the adjacent Bushuis was demolished and a new eastern wing, designed by Cornelis Peters, was added along the inner courtyard.

In 1976 the building underwent restoration. During this restoration, the grand meeting room was also reconstructed. The building has been declared a national monument (rijksmonument). The building is now in use by the University of Amsterdam.

The East India Company chambres in Rotterdam, Delft, Enkhuizen and Hoorn also had an Oost-Indisch Huis as their headquarters. The building in Rotterdam was destroyed during the Rotterdam Blitz in 1940; however, the ones in Delft and Hoorn are still in existence. Amsterdam also has a West-Indisch Huis, which served as headquarters of the Dutch West India Company, and which has also been declared a Dutch national monument.

Read more on Wikipedia East India House (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Tibet - Lhasa

Theme Week Tibet - Lhasa

[caption id="attachment_200988" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Potala Palace © flickr.com - Christopher Michel/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lhasa is a prefecture-level city, formerly a prefecture until 7 January 1960, one of the main administrative divisions of the Tibet Autonomous Region. It covers an area of 29,274 square kilometres (11,303 sq mi) of rugged and sparsely populated terrain. The consolidated prefecture-level city is divided into five mostly rural counties and three partially urban districts Chengguan Di...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Canary Islands - Lanzarote

Theme Week Canary Islands - Lanzarote

[caption id="attachment_153409" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cactus © Méndez[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lanzarote is the easternmost of the autonomous Canary Islands, approximately 125 km off the coast of Africa and 1,000 km from the Iberian Peninsula. Covering 845.9 km2, it stands as the fourth largest of the islands. The first recorded name for the island, given by Angelino Dulcert, was Insula de Lanzarotus Marocelus, after the Genoese navigator Lancelotto Malocello, from which the modern name is derived. The island's nam...

[ read more ]

Rila Monastery in Bulgaria

Rila Monastery in Bulgaria

[caption id="attachment_234655" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Main church 'Nativity of the Virgin Mother' © Daniel Petrov/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Monastery of Saint John of Rila, also known as Rila Monastery "Sveti Ivan Rilski", is the largest and most famous Eastern Orthodox monastery in Bulgaria. It is situated in the southwestern Rila Mountains, 117 km (73 mi) south of the capital Sofia in the deep valley of the Rilska River ("Rila River") at an elevation of 1,147 m (3,763 ft) above sea level, inside of...

[ read more ]

Rockefeller Archeological Museum in East Jerusalem

Rockefeller Archeological Museum in East Jerusalem

[caption id="attachment_237631" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © McKaby/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Rockefeller Archeological Museum, formerly the Palestine Archaeological Museum ("PAM"; 1938–1967), is an archaeology museum located in East Jerusalem, next to Herod's Gate, that houses a large collection of artifacts unearthed in the excavations conducted in the region of Palestine, mainly in the 1920s and 1930s, under the British authorities. With the beginning of the Israeli occupation of the West Ban...

[ read more ]

Neustadt on the German wine route

Neustadt on the German wine route

[caption id="attachment_159835" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Franzfoto/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Neustadt an der Weinstraße (formerly known as "Neustadt an der Haardt") is a town located in Rhineland-Palatinate. With 52,000 inhabitants, it is the largest town called Neustadt. Officially abbreviated as Neustadt a. d. Weinstr., the name can be shortened as Neustadt/Weinstrasse (as on train departure and arrival boards) or Neustadt (Weinstrasse). The name means new city on the wine route, as it lies on ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Estonia - Kuressaare

Theme Week Estonia - Kuressaare

[caption id="attachment_227200" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kuressaare Castle © Stefan Hiienurm/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kuressaare is a town on Saaremaa island in Estonia. It is the administrative centre of Saaremaa Parish and the capital of Saare County. Kuressaare is the westernmost town in Estonia. The recorded population on 1 January 2018 was 13,276. The town is situated on the southern coast of Saaremaa island, facing the Gulf of Riga of the Baltic Sea, and is served by the Kuressaare Airport, Roomassaa...

[ read more ]

Haggis

Haggis

[caption id="attachment_240409" align="aligncenter" width="590"] displayed for sale © flickr.com - Chris Brown/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Haggis (Scottish Gaelic: taigeis) is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal's stomach though now an artificial casing is often used instead. According to the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique: "Although its descript...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Laos - Pakse

Theme Week Laos - Pakse

[caption id="attachment_213848" align="aligncenter" width="590"] River bank of Don Khon with stilt wooden houses and leaning Arecaceae at golden hour from Don Det© Basile Morin/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pakse is the capital and most populous city of the southern Laotian province of Champasak, making it the second most populous city in Laos. At the confluence of the Xe Don and Mekong Rivers, it has a population of about 88,000. It served as the capital of the Kingdom of Champasak until it was unified with the rest o...

[ read more ]

Nazareth, home town of Jesus

Nazareth, home town of Jesus

[caption id="attachment_206785" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Grotto of Annunciation © Ramessos/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nazareth is the largest city in the Northern District of Israel. Nazareth is known as "the Arab capital of Israel". Nazareth Illit (lit. "Upper Nazareth"), declared a separate city in June 1974, is built alongside old Nazareth. In the New Testament, the town is described as the childhood home of Jesus, and as such is a center of Christian pilgrimage, with many shrines commemorating biblical e...

[ read more ]

Interlaken in the Bernese Oberland

Interlaken in the Bernese Oberland

[caption id="attachment_151511" align="aligncenter" width="590"] View of Interlaken and Thunersee from Schynige Platte © Andrew Bossi[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Interlaken is a municipality in the Interlaken-Oberhasli administrative district in the Canton of Bern in Switzerland, a well-known tourist destination in the Bernese Oberland. Interlaken is located between Lake Brienz to the east and Lake Thun to the west in the area called Bödeli. The town takes its name from its geographical position between the lakes (in Latin inter...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Monument to the Great Fire of London and Pudding Lane © flickr.com - It's No Game/cc-by-2.0
Great Fire of London

The Great Fire of London was a major conflagration that swept through central London from Sunday 2 September to Thursday...

Sendlinger Tor © GraphyArchy/cc-by-sa-4.0
Sendlinger Straße in Munich

Sendlinger Straße is an important shopping street in Munich's city center. It extends into the Munich old town in the...

Smuggling tunnel in Rafah © flickr.com - Marius Arnesen/cc-by-sa-2.0
Gaza Strip “Gaza Metro” smuggling tunnels

The Gaza Strip smuggling tunnels are smuggling tunnels that had been dug under the Philadelphi Route along the Egypt–Gaza border....

Close