Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel in Montreal

Monday, 16 January 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Museums, Exhibitions
Reading Time:  3 minutes

© DXR/cc-by-sa-4.0

© DXR/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel (chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours, “Our Lady of Good Help”) is a church in the district of Old Montreal in Montreal, Quebec. One of the oldest churches in Montreal, it was built in 1771 over the ruins of an earlier chapel. The church is located at 400 Saint Paul Street East at Bonsecours Street, just north of the Bonsecours Market in the borough of Ville-Marie (Champ-de-Mars metro station).

St. Marguerite Bourgeoys, the first teacher in the colony of Ville-Marie and the founder of the Congregation of Notre Dame, rallied the colonists to build a chapel in 1655. In 1673, returning from France, Bourgeoys brought a wooden image of Our Lady of Good Help; the stone church was completed in 1678. It burned in 1754, the reliquary and statue being rescued and placed above the entrance of the rebuilt church of 1771.

After Montreal was conquered by British forces during the French and Indian War, the church was attended by Irish and Scottish troops and families, and saw fundraising to build Saint Patrick’s Church, Montreal’s first anglophone Catholic parish.

© Sandrine Andoulsi/cc-by-3.0 © Jeangagnon/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Jeangagnon/cc-by-sa-3.0 © DXR/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Margbourg/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Andrea Merlano/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
© Sandrine Andoulsi/cc-by-3.0
In the 19th century, the chapel came to be a pilgrimage site for the sailors who arrived in the Old Port of Montreal; they would make offerings to the Virgin in gratitude for her “good help” for safe sea voyages. In 1849, Mgr. Ignace Bourget, Bishop of Montreal, gave the chapel a statue of the Virgin as Star of the Sea, which was placed atop the church overlooking the harbour. Emphasizing the connection of the chapel and the port, the chapel is often called the Sailors’ Church.

The chapel now also houses the Marguerite Bourgeoys Museum, dedicated to the life of St. Marguerite Bourgeoys and to the early history of Montreal and the chapel site. Below the chapel, the crypt is being excavated as an archeological site, which visitors can see. First Nations and French colonial artifacts have been discovered, along with the foundations of the first chapel and the fortifications of the colony. The church’s prominent spire can also be climbed, offering views of the Old Port and Saint Lawrence River. In 2005, Marguerite Bourgeoys’s mortal remains were brought back to the church, where she now lies in the sanctuary.

Read more on Wikipedia Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Topography of Terror in Berlin

Topography of Terror in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_206229" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Manfred Brückels/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Topography of Terror (German: Topographie des Terrors) is an outdoor and indoor history museum in Berlin, Germany. It is located on Niederkirchnerstrasse, formerly Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse, on the site of buildings which during the Nazi regime from 1933 to 1945 was the SS Reich Main Security Office, the headquarters of the Sicherheitspolizei, SD, Einsatzgruppen and Gestapo. The buildings that hou...

[ read more ]

Kinmen islands in Taiwan

Kinmen islands in Taiwan

[caption id="attachment_230863" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Juguang Tower © panoramio.com - lienyuan lee/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kinmen, alternatively known as Quemoy, is a group of islands governed as a county by the Republic of China (Taiwan), off the southeastern coast of mainland China. It lies roughly 10 km (6.2 mi) east of the city of Xiamen in Fujian, from which it is separated by Xiamen Bay. Kinmen is located 187 km (116 mi) west from the shoreline of the island of Taiwan across the Taiwan Strait. The c...

[ read more ]

Café de la Paix in Paris

Café de la Paix in Paris

[caption id="attachment_239853" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Arthur Weidmann/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Café de la Paix is a famous café located on the northwest corner of the intersection of the Boulevard des Capucines and the Place de l'Opéra, in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, France. Designed in the Napoleon III style by the architect Alfred Armand, who also designed the historic Grand-Hôtel in which the café is located, its florid interior decorations, historic location, and high-profile cliente...

[ read more ]

Cornwall's Mousehole

Cornwall's Mousehole

[caption id="attachment_160539" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Olaf Tausch[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mousehole is a village and fishing port in Cornwall. It is situated approximately 2½ miles (4 km) south of Penzance on the shore of Mount's Bay. The village is in the civil parish of Penzance and is renowned as one of the most picturesque harbours in England. An islet called St Clement's Isle lies 400 metres offshore from the harbour entrance. Mousehole, along with Marazion, was until the 16th century one of the pri...

[ read more ]

St. Nicholas Church in Potsdam

St. Nicholas Church in Potsdam

[caption id="attachment_227356" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Bärwinkel,Klaus/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]St. Nicholas Church (German: St. Nikolaikirche) in Potsdam is a Lutheran church under the Evangelical Church in Berlin, Brandenburg and Silesian Upper Lusatia of the Evangelical Church in Germany on the Old Market Square (Alter Markt) in Potsdam. The central plan building in the Classicist style and dedicated to Saint Nicholas was built to plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in the years 1830 to 1837. The...

[ read more ]

Large Festival Hall in Salzburg

Large Festival Hall in Salzburg

[caption id="attachment_232640" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Optimale/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Large Festival Hall in Salzburg (from 1960 to 1962 New Festival Hall, since 1963 Large Festival Hall) is one of the venues of the Salzburg Festival and is located in the old town, it is partly built into the Mönchsberg. The Large Festival Hall belonged together with the House for Mozart (the former Small Festival Hall), the Felsenreitschule and the town hall to the former prince-archbishop's court stab...

[ read more ]

Lower East Side Tenement Museum in New York City

Lower East Side Tenement Museum in New York City

[caption id="attachment_234171" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - ajay_suresh/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Lower East Side Tenement Museum, located at 97 and 103 Orchard Street in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, is a National Historic Site. The museum's two historical tenement buildings were home to an estimated 15,000 people, from over 20 nations, between 1863 and 2011. The museum, which includes a visitors' center, promotes tolerance and historical perspective on the immi...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Paris - Arrondissement du Louvre (1th)

Theme Week Paris - Arrondissement du Louvre (1th)

[caption id="attachment_151908" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Louvre © Benh LIEU SONG[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Situated principally on the right bank of the River Seine, it also includes the west end of the Île de la Cité. The arrondissement is one of the oldest in Paris, the Île de la Cité having been the heart of the city of Lutetia, conquered by the Romans in 52 BC, while some parts on the right bank (including Les Halles included) date back to the early Middle Ages. It is the least populated of the city's arrondisse...

[ read more ]

The Rance Tidal Power Station

The Rance Tidal Power Station

[caption id="attachment_161221" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view: Saint-Malo on the right, Dinard on the left © Tswgb[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Rance Tidal Power Station is the world's first tidal power station and also the world's second biggest tidal power station. The facility is located on the estuary of the Rance River, in Brittany. Opened on the 26th November 1966, it is currently operated by Électricité de France, and is the second largest tidal power station in the world, in terms of installed capacity...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Chateaux of the Loire Valley

Theme Week Chateaux of the Loire Valley

[caption id="attachment_153148" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Châteaux of the Loire Valley © Maximilian Dörrbecker[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Loire Valley (French: Vallée de la Loire), spanning 280 kilometres (170 mi), is located in the middle stretch of the Loire River in central France. It comprises an area of approximately 800 square kilometres (310 sq mi). It is referred to as the Cradle of the French Language, and the Garden of France due to the abundance of vineyards, fruit orchards, artichoke, asparagus and cher...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© flickr.com - Fred Romero/cc-by-2.0
Rue du Bac in Paris

Rue du Bac is a street on the Rive Gauche, the left bank of the Seine in Paris (7th arrondissement)....

Trappist Monastery © Bukvoed/cc-by-2.5
Latrun in the West Bank

Latrun is a strategic hilltop in the Latrun salient in the Ayalon Valley, and a depopulated Palestinian village. It overlooks...

© panoramio.com - Mika Auramo/cc-by-3.0
Cambrils in Spain

Cambrils is a coastal town in the comarca of Baix Camp, province of Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain. The town is near...

Schließen