New Guardhouse in Berlin

Wednesday, 5 May 2021 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Berlin
Reading Time:  6 minutes

© Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

© Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

The Neue Wache (English: New Guard) is a listed building on Unter den Linden boulevard in the historic centre of Berlin, Germany. Erected from 1816 to 1818 according to plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel as a guardhouse for the Royal Palace and a memorial to the Liberation Wars, it is considered as a major work of Prussian Neoclassical architecture. A Victoria relief by Johann Gottfried Schadow and five General statues by Christian Daniel Rauch, referring to the Warrior statues on Schlossbrücke, also belong to the ensemble. Since 1993, the Neue Wache has been home to the Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany to the Victims of War and Tyranny.

King Frederick William III of Prussia ordered the construction of the Neue Wache as a guardhouse for the Königliches Palais (Royal Palace), his palace across the road, to replace the old Artillery Guardhouse. He commissioned Schinkel, the leading exponent of Neoclassical architecture, to design the building: this was Schinkel’s first major commission in Berlin. The Neue Wache was inaugurated on 18 September 1818 by the Prussian 1st Guards Grenadiers on occasion of the official visit of Tsar Alexander I of Russia.

Located between the Zeughaus and the Humboldt University, the plain building is characterised by four massive corner risalits and a portico of Doric columns, of the original Greek form, without bases. Schinkel wrote of his design: “The plan of this completely exposed building, free on all sides, is approximately the shape of a Roman castrum, thus the four sturdier corner towers and the inner courtyard.” The statuary in the tympanum is intended as a memorial to Prussia’s role in the Napoleonic Wars, whose final stage is known in Germany as the Wars of Liberation. It shows Nike, the goddess of victory, deciding a battle. The triglyphs and guttae of the Doric order are omitted. The Jewish architect Salomo Sachs (1772-1855) claimed in his autobiography that his architectural designs for the Neue Wache, submitted in 1806 for the Academy Exhibition in Berlin, had served as the basis for Schinkel’s executed plans.

© Daniel Schwen/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de © Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de © Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de © Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de
<
>
© Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de
The building served as a royal guard house until the end of World War I and the fall of the monarchy in the German Revolution of 1918–19. In 1931 the architect Heinrich Tessenow was commissioned by the Free State of Prussia to redesign the building as a war memorial to commemorate those who died in the Great War. Tessenow converted the interior into a memorial hall centered around a black granite block with an oak wreath designed by the sculptor Ludwig Gies, situated under an oculus (circular skylight). The Neue Wache was then known as the Memorial of the Prussian State Government. After the National Socialist German Workers’ Party (nazis) took the power, the building played a vital role as the site of the annual Heroes’ Memorial Day celebrations held by the nazis and the Nazi German armed forces. The Neue Wache was heavily damaged by bombing and by artillery fire during the Battle of Berlin in the last months of World War II.

After the war, the Mitte district was located within the Soviet sector of Allied-occupied Berlin and from 1949 was part of East Berlin, the de facto, but not de jure capital of East Germany. Prior to the 1951 communist World Festival of Youth and Students, the East German leader Walter Ulbricht had two neoclassical marble statues of Gerhard von Scharnhorst and Friedrich Wilhelm Bülow by Christian Daniel Rauch removed from the sides of the portico (positioned on the south side of Unter den Linden since 2002). From 1957 the East German authorities had the Neue Wache rebuilt and reopened in 1960 as a Memorial to the Victims of Fascism and Militarism. In 1969, the 20th anniversary of the East German state, a glass prism structure with an eternal flame was placed in the centre of the hall. The remains of an Unknown Soldier and of a nameless Nazi concentration camp victim were enshrined in the building. Two soldiers of the Friedrich Engels Guard Regiment served as permanent honor guards, a guard mounting ceremony was held every Wednesday and Saturday, becoming a major tourist attraction.

After German reunification, the Neue Wache was again rededicated in 1993, as the Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Victims of War and Tyranny. At the personal suggestion of the Federal Chancellor of Germany Helmut Kohl, the East German memorial piece was removed and replaced by an enlarged version of Käthe Kollwitz‘s sculpture Mother with her Dead Son. The pietà-style sculpture is directly placed under the oculus, and so is exposed to the rain, snow and cold of the Berlin climate, symbolizing the suffering of civilians during World War II. In addition, there has been discussion about returning the neoclassical statues back to their original places (next to and opposite the Neue Wache) where the East German authorities had them removed from.

Read more on Berlin.de – New Guardhouse, VisitBerlin.de – New Guardhouse and Wikipedia New Guardhouse (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Viva con Agua de St. Pauli

Viva con Agua de St. Pauli

[caption id="attachment_25435" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © vivaconagua.org[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Viva con Agua de Sankt Pauli is a charity founded in 2005 in the Hamburg quarter of St. Pauli. The aim of the organization is to improve drinking water supply in developing countries in conjunction with the Welthungerhilfe. The organization is built up as an "open network" which means that it mainly consists of individual initiatives with the support of the organization’s head office. Several activities have bee...

[ read more ]

Jacksonville in Florida

Jacksonville in Florida

[caption id="attachment_222211" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Riverside and Avondale © Ebyabe/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jacksonville is the most populous city in Florida, and is the largest city by area in the contiguous United States as of 2020. It is the seat of Duval County, with which the city government consolidated in 1968. Consolidation gave Jacksonville its great size and placed most of its metropolitan population within the city limits. As of 2020, Jacksonville's population is 949,611, making it the 12t...

[ read more ]

Sainte-Adresse in Normandy

Sainte-Adresse in Normandy

[caption id="attachment_224769" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Beach huts © panoramio.com - corinne potet/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sainte-Adresse is a commune in the Seine-Maritime department in the region of Normandy, France. A coastal suburb situated some 2 miles (3.2 km) northwest of Le Havre city centre, at the junction of the D147 and the D940. The English Channel forms the western border of the commune. The oldest known name of the commune was Caput Caleti mentioned in 1240. Later known as Saint-Denis...

[ read more ]

New Town Hall in Hanover

New Town Hall in Hanover

[caption id="attachment_219644" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Michael Wilkens[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The New Town Hall (German: Neues Rathaus) in Hanover, Germany, is a city hall and was opened on July 20, 1913, after having been under construction for 12 years. It is a magnificent, castle-like building of the era of Wilhelm II in eclectic style at the southern edge of the inner city (outside of the historic city centre of Hanover). The building is embedded in the 10-hectare (25-acre) Maschpark. The Old Town Hall is no ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Tokyo - National Museum

Theme Week Tokyo - National Museum

[caption id="attachment_225130" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Hyokeikan © Kakidai/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Tokyo National Museum or TNM is an art museum in Ueno Park in the Taitō ward of Tokyo, Japan. It is one of the four museums operated by the National Institutes for Cultural Heritage, is considered the oldest national museum in Japan, is the largest art museum in Japan, and is one of the largest art museums in the world. The museum collects, preserves, and displays a comprehensive collection of art...

[ read more ]

Port Melbourne

Port Melbourne

[caption id="attachment_165423" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bay Street © Bmorey/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Port Melbourne is a suburb of Melbourne, Australia, 5 km south-west from Melbourne's Central Business District. It is split between the local government areas of Melbourne and Port Phillip. The area to the north of the West Gate Freeway is in the City of Melbourne. The area to the south is in the City of Port Phillip. The suburb is bordered by the shores of Hobsons Bay and the lower reaches of the Yarra River...

[ read more ]

Trinity Buoy Wharf in London

Trinity Buoy Wharf in London

[caption id="attachment_218874" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bow Creek Lighthouse © Grim23/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Trinity Buoy Wharf is the site of a lighthouse, by the confluence of the River Thames and Bow Creek on the Leamouth Peninsula, Poplar. It lies within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The lighthouse no longer functions, but is the home of various art projects such as Longplayer. It is sometimes known as Bow Creek Lighthouse. In 1803, the site began to be used by the Elder Brethren of T...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Johannes Brahms, composer, pianist, and conductor of the Romantic period

Portrait: Johannes Brahms, composer, pianist, and conductor of the Romantic period

[caption id="attachment_203533" align="aligncenter" width="390"] Johannes Brahms in 1889 - New York Public Library - C. Brasch[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Johannes Brahms was a German composer, pianist, and conductor of the Romantic period. Born in Hamburg into a Lutheran family, Brahms spent much of his professional life in Vienna. His reputation and status as a composer are such that he is sometimes grouped with Johann Sebastian Bach and Ludwig van Beethoven as one of the "Three Bs" of music, a comment originally made by the nin...

[ read more ]

Theme Week County Galway - Dunmore

Theme Week County Galway - Dunmore

[caption id="attachment_226519" align="aligncenter" width="590"] High Street © Andreas F. Borchert/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dunmore (Irish: Dún Mór, meaning 'big fort') is a town in County Galway, Ireland. It is located on the N83 national secondary road at its junction with the R328 and R360 regional roads. The town belongs to an ancient tuath called Conmhaícne Dúna-Móir and Cenél Dubáin, ruled by Uí Conchobair of Ui Briuin Ai from the 12th century, and a capital of Connacht for a time. King Tairr...

[ read more ]

Caprarola in Lazio

Caprarola in Lazio

[caption id="attachment_237471" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Livioandronico2013/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Caprarola is a town and comune in the province of Viterbo, in the Lazio region of central Italy. The village is situated in a range of volcanic hills known as the Cimini Mounts. The town is home to the large Renaissance mansion or villa which dominates the surrounding country-side, Villa Farnese (or Villa Caprarola). Not to be confused with the Palazzo Farnese in Rome, it was initially built as a ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© flickr.com - Aurelien Guichard/cc-by-sa-2.0
Leadenhall Market in London

Leadenhall Market is a covered market in London, located on Gracechurch Street but with vehicular access also available via Whittington...

© flickr.com - kees tom/cc-by-sa-2.0
The Pioneering Spirit

Pioneering Spirit (formerly Pieter Schelte) is a catamaran crane vessel owned by the Switzerland-based Allseas Group designed for the single-lift...

New York Public Library Main Branch and Bank of America Tower in the background © Tdorante10/cc-by-sa-4.0
Bank of America Tower in New York City

The Bank of America Tower is a 1,200 ft (365.8 m) skyscraper in the Midtown neighborhood of Manhattan in New...

Schließen