New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum

Saturday, 9 November 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Berlin, General, Museums, Exhibitions

© Holz85/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Holz85/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Neue Synagoge (“New Synagogue”) was built 1859–1866 as the main synagogue of the Berlin Jewish community, on Oranienburger Straße. Because of its eastern Moorish style and resemblance to the Alhambra, it is an important architectural monument of the second half of the 19th century in Berlin. Jewish services are now held again in the New Synagogue; the congregation is the Berlin community’s sole Masorti synagogue. Most of the building, however, houses offices and a museum. The dome may also be visited.

The building was designed by Eduard Knoblauch. Following Knoblauch’s death in 1865, Friedrich August Stüler took responsibility for the majority of its construction as well as for its interior arrangement and design. It was inaugurated in the presence of Count Otto von Bismarck, then Minister President of Prussia, in 1866. One of the few synagogues to survive Kristallnacht, it was badly damaged prior to and during World War II and subsequently much was demolished; the present building on the site is a reconstruction of the ruined street frontage with its entrance, dome and towers, and only a few rooms behind. It is truncated before the point where the main hall of the synagogue began.

© Rohieb/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Taxiarchos228 Plaque on the New Synagogue © Nathaniel Samson/cc-by-sa-3.0 - The plaque reads: This synagogue is 100 years old and was set ablaze on 9 November 1938 by the Nazis IN KRISTALLNACHT. During the Second World War 1939-1945 it was destroyed in 1943 by bombing raids. The façade of this house of God shall remain forever a site of remembrance. NEVER FORGET. The Jewish Community of Greater Berlin. The Directorate © Andreas Praefcke/cc-by-3.0 © Holz85/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Pedelecs/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Plaque on the New Synagogue © Nathaniel Samson/cc-by-sa-3.0 - The plaque reads: This synagogue is 100 years old and was set ablaze on 9 November 1938 by the Nazis IN KRISTALLNACHT. During the Second World War 1939-1945 it was destroyed in 1943 by bombing raids. The façade of this house of God shall remain forever a site of remembrance. NEVER FORGET. The Jewish Community of Greater Berlin. The Directorate
The front of the building, facing Oranienburger Straße, is polychrome brickwork, richly ornamented with sculpted bricks and terracotta, accented by coloured glazed bricks. Beyond the entrance, the building’s alignment changes to mesh with pre-existing structures. The synagogue’s main dome, with its gilded ribs, is an eye-catching landmark. The central dome is flanked by two smaller pavilion-like domes on the two side-wings. Beyond the façade was the front hall and the main hall with 3,000 seats. Due to the unfavourable alignment of the property, the building’s design required adjustment along a slightly turned axis.

The Neue Synagoge is also a monument of early iron construction. The new building material was visible in the outside columns, as well as in the dome’s construction. Iron was also a core component for the now-lost floor structure of the main hall.

Read more on New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum Foundation, VisitBerlin.de – New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum Foundation, List of synagogues, Category: Lists of Judaism-related buildings and structures and Wikipedia New Synagogue Berlin (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.








Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Fishguard in Pembrokeshire

Fishguard in Pembrokeshire

[caption id="attachment_153080" align="aligncenter" width="590"] High Tide © geograph.org.uk - Pauline Eccles/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fishguard (Welsh: Abergwaun, meaning "Mouth of the River Gwaun") is a coastal town in Pembrokeshire, south-west Wales, with a population of 3,300. The community of Fishguard and Goodwick has a population of 5,000. The town of Fishguard (proper) is divided into two parts, the main town of Fishguard and Lower Fishguard. Lower Fishguard (locally known as 'Lower Town') is belie...

[ read more ]

Käthe Kollwitz Museum Berlin

Käthe Kollwitz Museum Berlin

[caption id="attachment_192321" align="aligncenter" width="393"] Käthe-Kollwitz-Museum Berlin © De-okin/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Käthe Kollwitz Museum in Berlin owns one of the largest collections of works by the German artist Käthe Kollwitz (1867–1945). Kollwitz lived and worked in Berlin's Prenzlauer Berg for over 50 years. The museum opened in 1986, and traces its origins to the art collector Hans Pels-Leusden (d.1993). Pels-Leusden had been collecting the artist's works since 1950, and created...

[ read more ]

Rimini on the Adriatic Sea

Rimini on the Adriatic Sea

[caption id="attachment_153311" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Beach of Rimini © Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinna/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rimini is a medium-sized city of 145.000 inhabitants in the Emilia-Romagna region, and capital city of the Province of Rimini. It is located on the Adriatic Sea, on the coast between the rivers Marecchia (the ancient Ariminus) and Ausa (ancient Aprusa). It is one of the most famous seaside resorts in Europe, thanks to its 15 km-long sandy beach, over 1,000 hotels and thousands...

[ read more ]

Costa Brava in Spain

Costa Brava in Spain

[caption id="attachment_171441" align="aligncenter" width="588"] Palafrugell © Patronat de Turisme Costa Brava Pirineu de Girona/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Costa Brava ("Wild Coast" or "Rough Coast") is a coastal region of Catalonia in northeastern Spain, consisting of the comarques (counties) of Alt Empordà, Baix Empordà and Selva in the province of Girona. Costa Brava stretches from the town of Blanes, 60 km (37 mi) northeast of Barcelona, to the French border. In the 1950s, the Costa Brava was identified by...

[ read more ]

The Irish Glenveagh National Park

The Irish Glenveagh National Park

[caption id="attachment_152555" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Glenveagh National Park © flickr.com - Michal Osmenda[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Glenveagh is the second largest national park in Ireland. The park covers 170 square kilometres of hillside above Glenveagh Castle on the shore of Lough Veagh, 20 km from Gweedore in County Donegal. The network of mainly informal gardens displays a multitude of exotic and delicate plants from as far afield as Chile, Madeira and Tasmania, all sheltered by windbreaks of pine trees and or...

[ read more ]

The port city of Calais

The port city of Calais

[caption id="attachment_160647" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall © Patrick.charpiat[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Calais is a town and major ferry port in Northern France in the department of Pas-de-Calais, of which it is a sub-prefecture. Although Calais is by far the largest city in Pas-de-Calais, the department's capital is its third-largest city of Arras. The population of the metropolitan area at the 1999 census was 125,584. Calais overlooks the Strait of Dover, the narrowest point in the English Channel, which is on...

[ read more ]

Riegersburg Castle in Styria

Riegersburg Castle in Styria

[caption id="attachment_6437" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Vineyards on the top of the fortified hill, surrounding the castle proper © Andi oisn/cc-by-sa3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Riegersburg Castle is a medieval castle situated on a dormant volcano hill above the town of Riegersburg in the Austrian state of Styria. The castle is owned by the Princely Family of Liechtenstein and serves as a museum, with 25 out of the 108 rooms being opened for visiting. 16 of the rooms show the history of the Riegersburg castle and 9 are...

[ read more ]

Mariyinsky Palace in Kiev

Mariyinsky Palace in Kiev

[caption id="attachment_25496" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © DDima/cc-by-sa-1.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mariyinsky Palace is the official ceremonial residence of the President of Ukraine in Kiev and adjoins the neo-classical building of the Verkhovna Rada (parliament) of Ukraine. It is a Baroque palace on the hilly bank of the Dnieper River. The palace was ordered to be constructed in 1744 by the Russian Empress Elizaveta Petrovna, and was designed by Bartolomeo Rastrelli, the most famous architect working in the...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© flickr.com - William Warby/cc-by-2.0
Statue of Liberty in New York City

The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor...

© flickr.com - Michelle Walz Eriksson/cc-by-2.0
Hotel Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne

The Beau-Rivage Palace is a historical luxury five-star hotel in Lausanne, Switzerland. It is located in Ouchy, on the shores...

© David Wakely/cc-by-sa-2.5
Pasadena City Hall

Pasadena City Hall, completed in 1927, serves as the central location for city government in the City of Pasadena, California...

Schließen