Kornati Islands National Park in Croatia

Saturday, 31 December 2022 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks
Reading Time:  4 minutes

© Sporki/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Sporki/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Kornati archipelago of Croatia, also known as the Stomorski islands, is located in the northern part of Dalmatia, south from Zadar and west from Šibenik, in the Šibenik-Knin County. With 35 kilometres (22 miles) length and 89 islands, some large, some small, in a sea area of about 320 square kilometres (124 sq mi), the Kornati are the densest archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea. From northwest to southeast (from the island of Balabra to Samograd), and from northeast to southwest (from Gangarol to Mana) they stretch for 13 km (8 miles). The name of the archipelago is the plural form of the name of the largest island, called Kornat. There are no permanent settlements in Kornati. Simple houses in well-protected coves such as Vrulje, Kravjačica, Lavsa and others are used by mainland landowners as temporary shelters. Most of the land owners are from the island of Murter and Dugi Otok.

In 1980, the eighty-nine southernmost of the 140-odd islands, islets and reefs of the Kornati archipelago were declared a national park, Nacionalni Park Kornati, protecting the islands and their marine surroundings. The area covered by the National Park mostly coincides with the Donji Kornati, which includes the island of Kornat and the surrounding islets, separated with a channel from the island of Piškera and the surrounding islets. The national park includes 109 islands, of which 76 are less than 1 hectare in size. Of the total land surface area of Kornati (62 km²), 85% is stony, and only 5% has been cultivated.

The most important places on the Kornati islands are: the shallow channel Mala Proversa, the oval-shaped Taljurič island, Špinuta Bay, Stivina Bay, the fourth largest island Levrnaka, the second largest karst rock-area Tarac, Svršata Vela island, Mana island, Piškera island, Panitula Vela island, the picturesque Lavsa Bay, the resort island Ravni Žakan, Smokvica Vela island, the Opat peninsula, Samograd island, the Purara reserve for marine life, Vrgada and Gangarol islands.

© Tihomir Gržinčić/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Croq/cc-by-sa-3.0 © InterPixel.de/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Ivana/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Ekki3/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Nikater/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Sporki/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Tadam/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
© Tihomir Gržinčić/cc-by-sa-4.0
The names of the islands Babina Guzica and Kurba Vela, which in Croatian refer to buttocks and prostitution, offer an opportunity to explain the many vulgar names officially given to many places in the Kornati archipelago. When Austrian surveyors came to record the archipelago at the end of the 19th century, their local guides mocked them by making up vulgar names for the various locations.

Kornat, the biggest of the islands with a total area of 32.44 square kilometres (12.53 sq mi), comprises two-thirds of the park’s land area. Although the island is 25.2 kilometres (15.7 mi) long, it is no wider than 2.5 km (2 mi). The park is managed from the town of Murter, on the island of Murter, which is connected to the mainland by a drawbridge in the town of Tisno.

Read more on Kornati Islands National Park and Wikipedia Kornati Islands National Park (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Pontigny Abbey

Pontigny Abbey

[caption id="attachment_231838" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Zairon/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pontigny Abbey, the church of which in recent decades has also been the cathedral of the Mission de France, otherwise the Territorial Prelature of Pontigny, was a Cistercian monastery located in Pontigny on the River Serein, in the present diocese of Sens and department of Yonne, Burgundy, France. Founded in 1114, it was the second of the four great daughter houses of Cîteaux Abbey. It was suppressed in 1791 in the ...

[ read more ]

The Sophienterrassen in Hamburg

The Sophienterrassen in Hamburg

[caption id="attachment_153905" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © sophienterrassen.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]From time immemorial, Harvestehude, lying on the banks of the Alster, has been one of the most privileged residential locations to be offered by Hamburg. Venerable white Wilhelminian style and art nouveau villas in large parks and town houses resembling the London town houses, still distinguish the banks of the Alster today. As it was in this period, the Alster plays a central role as an area for rowing and sailing a...

[ read more ]

The PalaisQuartier in Frankfurt

The PalaisQuartier in Frankfurt

[caption id="attachment_153887" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © palaisquartier.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Palais Quartier is a building complex in the Innenstadt district of Frankfurt. It was built from 2004 to 2011. The complex consists of four buildings: MyZeil, a shopping mall, the Palais Thurn und Taxis, a reconstruction of a palace from 1793, the Nextower, a 136-metre high rise office building and Jumeirah Frankfurt, a 99-metre high rise hotel building. Beneath the complex lies the largest underground car ...

[ read more ]

Damascus, capital of Syria

Damascus, capital of Syria

[caption id="attachment_26726" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Saladin mouselum tomb © flickr.com - Jan Smith/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Damascus is the capital and largest city of Syria. Aleppo comes in second. It is commonly known in Syria as ash-Sham (Arabic: ash-Shām) and nicknamed as the City of Jasmine (Arabic: Madīnat al-Yāsmīn). In addition to being one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world, Damascus is a major cultural and religious center of the Levant. The city has an estimated popula...

[ read more ]

The Rock of Gibraltar

The Rock of Gibraltar

[caption id="attachment_152958" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view © Neonstar[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gibraltar is a British overseas territory located on the southern end of the Iberian Peninsula at the entrance of the Mediterranean. A peninsula with an area of 6.843 square kilometres (2.642 sq mi), it has a northern border with La Línea de la Concepción in Andalusia in Spain. The Rock of Gibraltar is the major landmark of the region. At its foot is the densely populated city area, home to almost 30,000 Gibraltar...

[ read more ]

Colonia Tovar, the Black Forrest village in Venezuela

Colonia Tovar, the Black Forrest village in Venezuela

[caption id="attachment_2055" align="aligncenter" width="590" caption="Colonia Tovar - Hotel Kaiserstuhl © Fev"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Colonia Tovar (Tovar Colony) is a city located in the Tovar Municipality of the state of Aragua in Venezuela, 60 km west of Caracas. The town was named after Martín Tovar y Ponte who donated the land over 150 years ago, and was founded by Agostino Codazzi. The city is mainly known for its Germanic characteristics, culture, and a dessert called "golfeado", which is very similar to a cinnamon...

[ read more ]

Hôtel de Crillon in Paris

Hôtel de Crillon in Paris

[caption id="attachment_200895" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Julien Ricard/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Hôtel de Crillon is a historic luxury hotel in Paris which opened in 1909 in a building dating to 1758. Located at the foot of the Champs-Élysées, the Crillon along with the Hôtel de la Marine is one of two identical stone palaces on the Place de la Concorde. It has been listed since 1900 as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture. With 78 guest rooms and 46 suites, ra...

[ read more ]

Dana Point in Orange County

Dana Point in Orange County

[caption id="attachment_150758" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © D Ramey Logan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dana Point is a city located in southern Orange County, California. The population is at 34,000. It has one of the few harbors along the Orange County coast, and with ready access via State Route 1, it is a popular local destination for surfing. The city was named after the headland of Dana Point, which was in turn named after Richard Henry Dana, Jr., author of Two Years Before the Mast, which included a descr...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Richard Wagner, composer, theatre director, polemicist, conductor

Portrait: Richard Wagner, composer, theatre director, polemicist, conductor

[caption id="attachment_225548" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Wagner bust in Bayreuth © Schubbay/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wilhelm Richard Wagner was a German composer, theatre director, polemicist, and conductor who is chiefly known for his operas (or, as some of his mature works were later known, "music dramas"). Unlike most opera composers, Wagner wrote both the libretto and the music for each of his stage works. Initially establishing his reputation as a composer of works in the romantic vein of Carl Maria v...

[ read more ]

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

[caption id="attachment_154244" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Orangery and teahouse © Lucas Friese/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Altenburg is a city in Thuringia, located 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of Leipzig, 90 kilometres (56 miles) west of Dresden and 100 kilometres (62 miles) east of Erfurt. It is the capital of the Altenburger Land district and part of a polycentric old-industrial textile and metal production region between Gera, Zwickau and Chemnitz with more than 1 million inhabitants, while the city itse...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Street scene © geograph.org.uk - Liz McCabe/cc-by-sa-2.0
Theme Week County Mayo – Killala

Killala (Irish: Cill Ala, meaning 'the mottled church') is a village in County Mayo in Ireland, north of Ballina. The...

© flickr.com - Luis Rogelio HM/cc-by-sa-2.0
Molina de Aragón in Spain

Molina de Aragón is a municipality located in the province of Guadalajara, Castile-La Mancha, Spain. According to the 2009 census...

OLYMPUS Church of Ireland church © geograph.org.uk - Liz McCabe/cc-by-sa-2.0
Theme Week County Mayo – Foxford

Foxford (Irish: Béal Easa, meaning 'mouth of the waterfall') is a village 16 km south of Ballina in County Mayo,...

Schließen