Murano in the Venetian Lagoon

Tuesday, 9 May 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  11 minutes

Canal Grande di Murano © Rettetast/cc-by-sa-2.5

Canal Grande di Murano © Rettetast/cc-by-sa-2.5

Murano is a series of islands linked by bridges in the Venetian Lagoon, northern Italy. It lies about 1.5 km (1 mi) north of Venice and measures about 1.5 km (1 mi) across with a population of just over 5,000 (2004 figures). It is famous for its glass making. It was once an independent comune, but is now a frazione of the comune of Venice.

Murano was initially settled by the Romans and from the sixth century by people from Altinum and Oderzo. At first, the island prospered as a fishing port and through its production of salt. It was also a centre for trade through the port it controlled on Sant’Erasmo. From the eleventh century, it began to decline as islanders moved to Dorsoduro. It had a Grand Council, like that of Venice, but from the thirteenth century, Murano was ultimately governed by a podestà from Venice. Unlike the other islands in the Lagoon, Murano minted its own coins.

Early in the second millennium hermits of the Camaldolese Order occupied one of the islands, seeking a place of solitude for their way of life. There they founded the Monastery of St. Michael (Italian: S. Michele di Murano). This monastery became a great center of learning and printing. The famous cartographer, Fra Mauro, whose maps were crucial to the European exploration of the world, was a monk of this community. The monastery was suppressed in 1810 by French forces under Napoleon, in the course of their conquest of the Italian peninsula, and the monks were expelled in 1814. The grounds then became Venice’s major cemetery.

© Jean-Pol GRANDMONT/cc-by-4.0 © Jean-Pol GRANDMONT/cc-by-4.0 Making a Glass Horse © Saffron Blaze/cc-by-sa-3.0 Canal Grande di Murano © Rettetast/cc-by-sa-2.5 © Zairon/cc-by-sa-4.0 Murano glass chandelier © Didier Descouens/cc-by-sa-4.0 Rio dei Vetrai © Wittylama/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Murano glass chandelier © Didier Descouens/cc-by-sa-4.0
In 1291, all the glassmakers in Venice were required to move to Murano. In the following century, exports began, and the island became famous, initially for glass beads and mirrors. Aventurine glass was invented on the island, and for a while Murano was the main producer of glass in Europe. The island later became known for chandeliers. Although decline set in during the eighteenth century, glassmaking is still the island’s main industry.

In the fifteenth century, the island became popular as a resort for Venetians, and palaces were built, but this later declined. The countryside of the island was known for its orchards and vegetable gardens until the nineteenth century, when more housing was built.

Attractions on the island include the Church of Santa Maria e San Donato (known for its twelfth-century Byzantine mosaic pavement and said to house the bones of the dragon slain by Saint Donatus in the 4th century), the church of San Pietro Martire with the chapel of the Ballarin family built in 1506 and artworks by Giovanni Bellini, and the Palazzo da Mula. Glass-related attractions include the many glassworks, some Mediaeval and most open to the public, and the Murano Glass Museum, housed in the large Palazzo Giustinian.

Read more on Wikivoyage Murano and Wikipedia Murano (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Cuba

Theme Week Cuba

[caption id="attachment_161556" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Cuba State Capitol (El Capitolio) in Havana © Nigel Pacquette/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cuba is comprising the island of Cuba as well as Isla de la Juventud and several minor archipelagos. Cuba is located in the northern Caribbean at the confluence of the Caribbean Sea, the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean. It is south of Florida and the Bahamas, west of Haiti and north of Jamaica. Havana is the largest city and capital; other major cities in...

[ read more ]

The Upper West Side in New York

The Upper West Side in New York

[caption id="attachment_168727" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Upper West Side and Central Park from Rockefeller Center Observatory © Nmattson10[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Upper West Side is a neighborhood in the borough of Manhattan, New York City, that lies between Central Park and the Hudson River and between West 59th Street and West 110th Street. The Upper West Side is sometimes also considered by the real estate industry to include the neighborhood of Morningside Heights. The area north of West 96th Street and east o...

[ read more ]

Colombey-les-Deux-Églises in the Grand Est region

Colombey-les-Deux-Églises in the Grand Est region

[caption id="attachment_233919" align="aligncenter" width="590"] La Boisserie, the home of Charles de Gaulle © Arnaud 25[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Colombey-les-Deux-Églises (literally Colombey the Two Churches) is a commune in the Haute-Marne department in north-eastern France. It is best known as the home of Charles de Gaulle. The municipality of Colombey-les-Deux-Églises was created administratively in 1793, and it became part of the district of Chaumont and the canton of Blaise. In 1801, under the name Colombey, it...

[ read more ]

The Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm (English Grounds of Wörlitz) in Saxony-Anhalt

The Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm (English Grounds of Wörlitz) in Saxony-Anhalt

[caption id="attachment_6242" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Wörlitz - Rock island Stein and Villa Hamilton © Matthias Seifert[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm, also known as the English Grounds of Wörlitz, is one of the first and largest English parks in Germany and continental Europe. It was created in the late 18th century under the regency of Duke Leopold III of Anhalt-Dessau (1740-1817), returning from a Grand Tour to Italy, the Netherlands, England, France and Switzerland he had undertaken to...

[ read more ]

Rotherham in South Yorkshire

Rotherham in South Yorkshire

[caption id="attachment_220635" align="aligncenter" width="590"] All Saints Square and Bridgegate © flickr.com - Ben Sutherland/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rotherham> is a large minster town in South Yorkshire, England. It is the main settlement in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham. Located on the traditional road between Sheffield and Doncaster. The Rother (Rotherham's namesake) merges with the River Don. The Don then flows through the town centre. Traditional industries included glass making and flour milling. Mos...

[ read more ]

The PalaisQuartier in Frankfurt

The PalaisQuartier in Frankfurt

[caption id="attachment_153887" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © palaisquartier.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Palais Quartier is a building complex in the Innenstadt district of Frankfurt. It was built from 2004 to 2011. The complex consists of four buildings: MyZeil, a shopping mall, the Palais Thurn und Taxis, a reconstruction of a palace from 1793, the Nextower, a 136-metre high rise office building and Jumeirah Frankfurt, a 99-metre high rise hotel building. Beneath the complex lies the largest underground car ...

[ read more ]

The Lost City of Petra

The Lost City of Petra

[caption id="attachment_6306" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Monastery Al Dier © Tom Neys[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Petra is a historical and archaeological city in the Jordanian governorate of Ma'an that is famous for its rock-cut architecture and water conduit system. Established possibly as early as 312 BC as the capital city of the Nabataeans, it is a symbol of Jordan as well as its most visited tourist attraction. It lies on the slope of Mount Hor in a basin among the mountains which form the eastern flank of Arabah ...

[ read more ]

TWA Hotel at JFK Airport in Queens

TWA Hotel at JFK Airport in Queens

[caption id="attachment_203315" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Retired airliner is used as cocktail bar © Jag9889/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]TWA Hotel is a hotel at John F. Kennedy International Airport in Queens, New York City, that opened on May 15, 2019. It utilizes the headhouse of the TWA Flight Center airline terminal, designed in 1962 by the architect Eero Saarinen. The TWA Hotel project added two buildings on either side of the existing headhouse. In 1994, the terminal was declared a city landmark ...

[ read more ]

Radom at the foot of the Holy Cross Mountains

Radom at the foot of the Holy Cross Mountains

[caption id="attachment_160688" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Building of the City Council by night © Voytek S/GFDL[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Radom is a city in central Poland with 224, 000 inhabitants. It is located on the Mleczna River in the Masovian Voivodeship (since 1999), having previously been the capital of Radom Voivodeship (1975–1998); 100 km south of Poland's capital, Warsaw. In spite of being part of the Masovian Voivodeship, the city historically belongs to Lesser Poland. It is home to the biennial Ra...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Pakistan - Hyderabad

Theme Week Pakistan - Hyderabad

[caption id="attachment_211350" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tombs of Talpur Mirs © Waheed.chandio/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hyderabad is a city located in the Sindh province of Pakistan. It is the second-largest city in Sindh and 8th largest in Pakistan. Founded in 1768 by Mian Ghulam Shah Kalhoro of the Kalhora Dynasty, Hyderabad served as a provincial capital until the British transferred the capital to Karachi in 1843. The city was named in honour of Ali, the fourth caliph and cousin of the Prophet Muhammad...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Raimond Spekking & Elke Wetzig/cc-by-sa-4.0
Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue in Normandy

Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue is a commune in the Manche department in Normandy in north-western France. Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue is part of the canton of...

© Frank Schwichtenberg/cc-by-sa-4.0
Fish Auction Hall in Hamburg

The Fish Auction Hall (German: Fischauktionshalle) was built in Altona, today part of Hamburg, Germany, in 1895/96 at the newly...

Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulàlia © Marco Almbauer
Gothic Quarter in Barcelona

The Gothic Quarter (Catalan: Barri Gòtic) is the historic centre of the old city of Barcelona. It stretches from La...

Schließen