Miami-Dade County Courthouse

Tuesday, 1 January 2019 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, House of the Month, Miami / South Florida
Reading Time:  7 minutes

© Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Miami-Dade County Courthouse is a historic courthouse located at 73 West Flagler Street in Miami, Florida. Constructed over four years (1925–28), it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1989. The building is 361 feet tall with 28 floors. When it was built, it was the tallest building in Miami and in Florida. It is still in use as the main civil courthouse of Miami-Dade County.

When county government was established following the Civil War, public records were so sparse they could be carried in a carpetbag and most probably were. Therefore, the “courthouse” was wherever the county’s chief office holder decided to do business. In 1890, Dade County’s first courthouse stood in the town of Juno some ten miles north of West Palm Beach. At that time, Dade County covered more territory than it does today, stretching from Bahia Honda Key, in the Middle Keys, up to the St. Lucie River, near present-day Port St. Lucie. Juno was chosen as the “county seat” because of its strategic location at the southern terminus of the Jupiter-Juno railroad. Juno also held the northern terminus of the boat and connecting stagecoach line to Miami. The courthouse remained in Juno (now no longer in existence) until 1899, when it was moved to Miami down the inland waterway on a barge and was placed on the banks of the Miami River, east of the old Miami Avenue bridge. The building was two story wooden frame construction, housing offices and jail cells on the ground floor and a courtroom on the second floor. In 1904 this building was replaced by a new courthouse building with a Neoclassical design situated on Flagler Street (then known as Twelfth Street). It was a magnificent building constructed of limestone, having an elegant red-domed top, at the cost of $47,000. It was anticipated that this courthouse would serve the city for at least fifty years; however, no one was prepared for the rapid growth Miami experienced during this period, and by 1924, only twenty years later, there was serious talk of the need for a larger courthouse.

© Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Averette/cc-by-3.0
<
>
© Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0
In the early 1920s, architect A. Ten Eyck Brown entered a design competition for Atlanta City Hall, which was rejected. He then made the plans available to Dade County, and City and County officials readily approved them. It was decided by the officials to build the new courthouse at the same location as the existing one on Flagler Street. Construction began in 1925, with workers erecting the new building around the existing structure, which was then dismantled. Community leaders and citizens alike voiced excitement over the new 28 story “skyscraper” that would soon dominate the skyline. Unexpectedly, construction was halted when the building reached ten stories. It was discovered that the “high-rise” was sinking into the spongy ground. Engineers consulted with an architect from Mexico City, whom had encountered a similar problem while building the city’s opera house. The consultant determined that the foundation pilings were not set deep enough. To correct the problem, cement supports were poured, which take up much of the space in the building’s basement file room even to this day. The courthouse was finally completed in 1928 at the cost of $4 million (today approximately $60 million). Initially, it served as both the Dade County Courthouse and the Miami City Hall. Jail cells occupied the top nine floors because these heights offered “maximum security” and were considered escape proof. In 1934, a prisoner housed on the twenty-first floor picked the lock of his jail cell window and used a fire hose to lower himself to freedom. In the years following, more than 70 prisoners escaped from this so-called “secure” prison.

For many years, the Miami-Dade County Courthouse, at an elevation of 360 feet, was reputed to be the tallest building south of Baltimore. It was the County’s first high-rise and is in the National Register of Historic Places. Efforts to refurbish this magnificent structure and restore it to its original grandeur have been underway since 1981 by Architect James W. Piersol, AIA of M.C Harry Associates Architects of Miami. The restoration and renovations initially stabilized the terra cotta facade, and installed new life safety systems. In 1982, the idea of restoring the lobby to its original distinction was the passion of both Architect James Piersol and engineer Don Youatt, of the Miami-Dade Planning and Development Department. With a little less than half of the funding necessary for the lobby restoration project in hand ($300,000 grant approved by the Legislature in 1996), the Dade County Bar Association acted as the fund-raising umbrella and initiate a drive to raise the remainder needed from lawyers and the general public. A few years later, the same team restored Courtroom 6-1, which had been the site of many infamous trials over the years. Today, the Miami-Dade County Courthouse provides offices, chambers, and courtrooms for the clerks and judiciary assigned to both the Circuit and County Civil Court.

Read more on Wikipedia Miami-Dade County Courthouse. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

UEFA Euro 2020: The venues

UEFA Euro 2020: The venues

[caption id="attachment_209598" align="aligncenter" width="519"] © UEFA[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The 2020 UEFA European Football Championship, commonly referred to as 2020 UEFA European Championship, UEFA Euro 2020, or simply Euro 2020, is scheduled to be the 16th UEFA European Championship, the quadrennial international men's football championship of Europe organised by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA). The tournament, to be held in 11 cities in 11 UEFA countries, was originally scheduled from 12 June to 12 ...

[ read more ]

Dumbo in Brooklyn

Dumbo in Brooklyn

[caption id="attachment_193078" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Empire State Building framed by Manhattan Bridge, as seen from Washington Street © MusikAnimal/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dumbo (short for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) is a neighborhood in the ...

[ read more ]

The Freedom Tower in Miami

The Freedom Tower in Miami

[caption id="attachment_27800" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Freedom Tower © Tom Schaefer/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Freedom Tower is a building in Miami, designed by Schultze and Weaver. It is currently used as a contemporary art museum and a central office to different disciplines in the arts associated with Miami Dade College. It is located at 600 Biscayne Boulevard on the Wolfson Campus of Miami Dade College. On September 10, 1979, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It was desi...

[ read more ]

Mons, European Capital of Culture 2015

Mons, European Capital of Culture 2015

[caption id="attachment_160474" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Grand'Place © Jean-Pol GRANDMONT[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mons is a Walloon city and municipality located in the Belgian province of Hainaut, of which it is the capital. The Mons municipality includes the old communes of Cuesmes, Flénu, Ghlin, Hyon, Nimy, Obourg, Baudour (partly), Jemappes, Ciply, Harmignies, Harveng, Havré, Maisières, Mesvin, Nouvelles, Saint-Denis, Saint-Symphorien, Spiennes, Villers-Saint-Ghislain, Casteau (partly), Masnuy-Saint-Jean (partl...

[ read more ]

Theme Week North Korea - Pyongyang

Theme Week North Korea - Pyongyang

[caption id="attachment_218563" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - uritours.com/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pyongyang is the capital and largest city of North Korea. Pyongyang is located on the Taedong River about 109 kilometers (68 mi) upstream from its mouth on the Yellow Sea. According to the 2008 population census, it has a population of 3,255,288. Pyongyang is a directly-administered city with equal status to North Korean provinces. Pyongyang is the political, industrial and transport center of Nort...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Ulster - Letterkenny

Theme Week Ulster - Letterkenny

[caption id="attachment_153138" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Oatfield Sweet Factory © geograph.org.uk - louise price/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Letterkenny (Irish: Leitir Ceanainn) is the largest and most populous town in County Donegal. Its English name is derived from the Irish name Leitir Ceanainn, meaning "Hillside of the O'Cannons" – the O'Cannons being the last of the ancient chieftains of Tír Conaill. With a population of 20,000, Letterkenny is located on the River Swilly in east Donegal. Letterkenny, ...

[ read more ]

Templin in Uckermark

Templin in Uckermark

[caption id="attachment_159812" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall © Oktaeder[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Templin is a small town in the Uckermark district of Brandenburg. Though it has a population of only 17,127, it is with 377.01 km2 (145.56 sq mi) the second largest town in Brandenburg (after Wittstock) and the seventh largest town in Germany by area. The town is located in the south of the rural Uckermark region and its capital Prenzlau, north of the Schorfheide-Chorin Biosphere Reserve. The town was first mentioned ...

[ read more ]

500 years German Beer Purity Law

500 years German Beer Purity Law

[caption id="attachment_160247" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Munich beer purity law from 1487 © Evergreen68/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Reinheitsgebot, sometimes called the "German Beer Purity Law" in English, is the collective name for a series of regulations limiting the ingredients in beer in Germany and its predecessor states. The most well-known version of the law was adopted in Bavaria in 1516, but similar regulations predate the Bavarian order, and modern regulations also significantly differ from the ...

[ read more ]

Debrecen in eastern Hungary

Debrecen in eastern Hungary

[caption id="attachment_161088" align="aligncenter" width="572"] Debrecen montage © Uzo19/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Debrecen 0is the second largest city in Hungary after Budapest. Debrecen is the regional centre of the Northern Great Plain region and the seat of Hajdú-Bihar county. Chiefly thanks to the reformation and the prestigious Calvinist College, founded in 1538, Debrecen has been the intellectual and cultural centre of the surrounding area since the 16th century. Over the centuries the College was tra...

[ read more ]

Achill Island in Ireland

Achill Island in Ireland

[caption id="attachment_229822" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Slievemore mountain and Doogort beach © MickReynolds/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Achill Island in County Mayo is the largest of the Irish isles, and is situated off the west coast of Ireland. It has a population of 2,594. Its area is 148 km² (57 sq mi). Achill is attached to the mainland by Michael Davitt Bridge, between the villages of Gob an Choire (Achill Sound) and Poll Raithní (Polranny). A bridge was first completed here in 1887. Other centres o...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Orquesta Buena Vista Social Club in Lorient/France © XIIIfromTOKYO/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Buena Vista Social Club

Buena Vista Social Club is an ensemble of Cuban musicians established in 1996 to revive the music of pre-revolutionary Cuba....

Delray Beach © D Ramey Logan/cc-by-sa-4.0
Delray Beach in Florida, America’s Most Fun Small Town

Delray Beach is a coastal city in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The population of Delray Beach is estimated...

Tiber, Ponte Sant'Angelo and St. Peter's Basilica © Rabax63/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Vatican City – St. Peter’s Basilica

The Papal Basilica of St. Peter in the Vatican, or simply St. Peter's Basilica, is an Italian Renaissance church in...

Close