Mercato Orientale in Genoa

Saturday, 22 July 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Bon appétit, Shopping
Reading Time:  4 minutes

Mercato_Orientale (Eastern Market) © Twice25 e Rinina25/cc-by-2.5

Mercato Orientale (Eastern Market) entrance © Twice25 e Rinina25/cc-by-2.5

The Mercato Orientale (Eastern Market) is a market in Genoa that opened in 1899. Located in the very central via XX Settembre, it is housed in the ancient cloister, never finished, of the convent annexed to the church of the Consolazione, built between 1684 and 1706.

Its opening was decided with the municipal resolution of 21 October 1893 which commissioned the municipal engineers Veroggio, Bisagno and Cordoni to give a permanent location to the market of agricultural products that arrived from the Bisagno valley, which until then had been held in Piazza De Ferrari. The market, which owes its name to the position it was then in with respect to the city center (to the east), occupies the area of the cloister of the Augustinian convent annexed to the church of the Consolation. Of the original cloister, the market includes the colonnades on the sides facing the church and towards via XX Settembre as well as the closed portal on the small square giving access to the market from via Galata, while the other two sides were completed with the construction of the market.

Fruits © Daderot Mushrooms © Daderot Octopus © Daderot Scampi © Daderot Seafood © Daderot Seafood © Daderot Mercato_Orientale (Eastern Market) © Twice25 e Rinina25/cc-by-2.5 Vegetables © Daderot Fruits and nuts © Daderot
<
>
Mercato_Orientale (Eastern Market) © Twice25 e Rinina25/cc-by-2.5
It was the first building built in Genoa in reinforced concrete with the Hennebique system and occupies an area of 5500 square meters. It includes an underground floor divided into 42 warehouses and a ground floor formed by a colonnaded perimeter portico which extends for approximately 360 metres. The market has five entrances, two of which from via XX Settembre, including the main entrance with five arches, two from via Galata and one from via Colombo. Initially open-air, the market was later covered by skylights to increase the available internal space. The interior decorations are in white marble, while the original stone floor is now partially covered by concrete. The wing of the building facing via XX Settembre housed the financial offices for years, from 1931 transferred to the new headquarters in via Fiume.

The works ended in July 1898 and on 2 June 1899 the market was inaugurated by the mayor Francesco Pozzo with a floral exhibition.

In December 2017, a project was presented for the conservative restoration and enhancement of the mezzanine floor of the building, where a food market was built with a bar, stations for tasting typical products, a cooking school and a space for cultural meetings and events. The project won first prize in the “New ways of living and producing” category in the competition dedicated to urban transformation and city marketing organized by the National Institute of Urban Planning and Urbit. After several postponements, the new facility within the market opened on 7 May 2019.

Read more on VisitGenoa.it – MOG – Genoa’s Eastern Market and Mercato Orientale Genoa (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The archipelago of the Azores

The archipelago of the Azores

[caption id="attachment_160422" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Angra do Heroísmo - Terceira Island © Luissilveira[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Archipelago of the Azores is composed of nine volcanic islands situated in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean. The Portuguese archipelago is located about 1,500 km (930 mi) west from Lisbon and about 3,900 km (2,400 mi) east from the east coast of North America. The archipelago, and economic exclusion zone, forms the Autonomous Region of the Azores, one of the two autonomous regi...

[ read more ]

Lake Weißensee

Lake Weißensee

[caption id="attachment_153238" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Hans Holz/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Weissensee is a lake in the Austrian state of Carinthia within the Gailtal Alps mountain range. The highest situated Carinthian bathing lake shares its name with the municipality of Weissensee on the northern and southern shore. Due to its steep shore, the eastern part is almost uninhabited, with only a narrow path leading to the eastern end, where the area of the Stockenboi municipality reaches the la...

[ read more ]

Tropea on the Coast of the Gods

Tropea on the Coast of the Gods

[caption id="attachment_153608" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Santa Maria dell'Isola © Marcuscalabresus/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tropea is a municipality located within the province of Vibo Valentia, in Calabria. The town is a famous bathing place, situated on a reef, in the gulf of St. Euphemia connected with the mainland by a narrow strip in the Tyrrhenian Sea, toward the south with respect to Vibo Valentia and northward with respect to Ricadi and Capo Vaticano. The legend says that it was Hercules wh...

[ read more ]

The sail training ship Dar Młodzieży

The sail training ship Dar Młodzieży

[caption id="attachment_168181" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Patrick Wernhardt/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dar Młodzieży (Polish: Gift of the Youth) is a Polish sail training ship designed by Zygmunt Choreń. A prototype of a class of six, the following five slightly-differing units were built subsequently by the same shipyard for the merchant fleet of the former Soviet Union. Her sister ships are Mir, Druzhba, Pallada, Khersones and Nadezhda. [gallery size="medium" gss="1" ids="168179,168180,168181"]Th...

[ read more ]

Stanford University in California

Stanford University in California

[caption id="attachment_186252" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Stanford University Campus © Jrissman/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Stanford University (officially Leland Stanford Junior University, colloquially the Farm) is a private research university in Stanford, California. Stanford is known for its academic strength, wealth, proximity to Silicon Valley, and ranking as one of the world's top-ten universities. The university was founded in 1885 by Leland and Jane Stanford in memory of their only child, Leland Stanfor...

[ read more ]

Tainan in Taiwan

Tainan in Taiwan

[caption id="attachment_171664" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Confucius Temple © David Bronski[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tainan, officially Tainan City, is a special municipality of Taiwan, facing the Formosan Strait or Taiwan Strait in the west and south. Tainan is the oldest city on the island of Taiwan and also commonly known as the "Capital City" for its over 200 years of history as the capital of Taiwan under Koxinga and later Qing dynasty rule. Tainan's complex history of comebacks, redefinitions and renewals inspired ...

[ read more ]

The Viking Sea

The Viking Sea

[caption id="attachment_221922" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Pjotr Mahhonin/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]MV Viking Sea is a cruise ship built by Italian shipbuilders Fincantieri for Viking Ocean Cruises. It is the second ship to grace the name Viking Sea, the first being Viking Sky which was originally assigned this name. Homeport is Bergen. Viking Sea sailed from Venice to New Capital Quay on the River Thames at Greenwich, London, England, where on 5 May 2016 she became the largest vessel named in Londo...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Navarre - Villava-Atarrabia

Theme Week Navarre - Villava-Atarrabia

[caption id="attachment_231421" align="alignnone" width="590"] Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario © Zarateman/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Villava (Basque: Atarrabia) is a town and municipality located in the province and autonomous community of Navarre, northern Spain. The population is about 10,000, and the town is located 4 km away from Pamplona, the capital of Navarre. The village was founded in 1184 by King Sancho VI the Wise of Navarre. For several centuries, Villava was just a little town, but in the...

[ read more ]

St. Stephen’s Green in Dublin

St. Stephen’s Green in Dublin

[caption id="attachment_233032" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Dronepicr/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]St Stephen's Green (Irish: Faiche Stiabhna) is a garden square and public park located in the city centre of Dublin, Ireland. The current landscape of the park was designed by William Sheppard. It was officially re-opened to the public on Tuesday, 27 July 1880 by Lord Ardilaun. The square is adjacent to one of Dublin's main shopping streets, Grafton Street, and to a shopping centre named after it, while on its surrou...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Sylt - Westerland

Theme Week Sylt - Westerland

[caption id="attachment_154284" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Westerland Beach © Toksave/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Westerland is the largest resort on the island, the local transportation hub and the centre of Sylt's tourist industry. Westerland is located on the western shore of the island. It lies 70 km northwest of Husum, 74 km west of Flensburg, 134 km northwest of Kiel and 186 km northwest of Hamburg. Thanks to its affluent, glamorous lifestyle and thriving tourism industry, Westerland has been called the B...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
The Longs Arms public house © geograph.org.uk - Graham Horn/cc-by-sa-2.0
South Wraxall in Wiltshire

South Wraxall is a village and a civil parish in Wiltshire, England, 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north of Bradford-on-Avon. The...

© Martin Stiburek/cc-by-sa-4.0
Alassio on the Italian Riviera

Alassio (Ligurian: Arasce) is a town and comune in the province of Savona situated in the western coast of Liguria,...

Hôtel Brochet de Saint-Prest on rue des Saints-Pères © Celette/cc-by-sa-4.0
Sciences Po in Paris

The Paris Institute of Political Studies (French: Institut d'études politiques de Paris), also known as Sciences Po or Sciences Po...

Close