Mellieħa in Malta

Monday, 20 June 2022 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  5 minutes

© Malcolm grima83/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Malcolm grima83/cc-by-sa-4.0

Mellieħa is a large village in the Northern Region of Malta. It has a population of 10,087 as of March 2014. Mellieħa is also a tourist resort, popular for its sandy beaches and natural environment. Mellieħa is a popular tourist destination during the summer months. It is well known for its beaches, with the most well known being Għadira Bay and Golden Bay. Ċirkewwa is also popular as a dive site, and it includes the wrecks of MV Rozi and the P29 patrol boat. In 2009, Mellieħa was awarded the title of European Destination of Excellence due to its sustainable initiatives.

The town of Mellieħa stands on a group of hills on the northwest coast of the main island. Mellieħa proper consists of the areas of Mellieħa Heights, Santa Maria Estate, il-Qortin, Ta’ Pennellu, Ta’ Masrija and Tal-Ibraġ. The nearby villages of Manikata and Selmun also fall under Mellieħa’s jurisdiction. The town overlooks Mellieħa Bay, which includes Għadira Bay, the largest sandy beach in Malta. To the east of the town and bay, there is the Selmun peninsula, and St Paul’s Islands lie about 80 metres off the coast. Mistra Bay lies close to Selmun, and this marks the boundary between Mellieħa and St. Paul’s Bay. The large Marfa Peninsula lies to the north of Mellieħa. It includes several small bays, such as Armier Bay and Paradise Bay, as well as the harbour of Ċirkewwa, from which the Gozo ferry departs. The Marfa Ridge spans across a large part of the peninsula. To the south of Marfa Ridge, there are Anchor Bay and Popeye Village, Majjistral Nature and History Park, the hamlet of Manikata and Golden Bay. The boundary with Mġarr lies at Għajn Tuffieħa.

Anchor Bay and Popeye Village © Frank Vincentz/cc-by-sa-3.0 Selmun Palace © Continentaleurope/cc-by-sa-3.0 Mellieha and Mellieha Bay © Frank Vincentz/cc-by-sa-3.0 Mellieha Bay © Karelj/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Malcolm grima83/cc-by-sa-4.0 Mellieha Parish Church © flickr.com - andrea castelli/cc-by-2.0
<
>
Mellieha Parish Church © flickr.com - andrea castelli/cc-by-2.0
Malta was one of the first regions that Muslims entered in the Mediterranean, and this is evident in the Islamic heritage of buildings and ancient relics of mosques and homes. In addition to that the Arabic language that has remained rooted in the language of the current people of the island, this was starting from year 826 A.D. and lasted for 220 years. During the early years of Hospitaller rule in Malta, Mellieħa remained abandoned. In the late 16th century, the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mellieħa was rebuilt. The northern coast of Malta began to be fortified in the early 17th century. The first fortification to be built in Mellieħa was Saint Agatha’s Tower, which was completed in 1649. This large tower was built on Marfa Ridge, overlooking Mellieħa Bay, with clear views of Comino and Gozo. The smaller Għajn Ħadid Tower and Armier Tower were also built in the limits of Mellieħa in 1658. A series of coastal batteries, redoubts and entrenchments were also built in Mellieħa in the 18th century. Several of these still survive, such as Mistra Battery, Vendôme Battery, Wied Musa Battery and Westreme Battery. The Devil’s Farmhouse found at Ta’ Randa area is an example of Maltese farmhouses built in the 18th century.

Mellieħa, as it is today, developed whilst Malta was under British rule. The village became a parish once again in 1844, and began to develop after the British encouraged people to settle in the area by giving leases to the population. The parish church was built in various stages in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and it is said that the locals helped building the church. A postal agency opened in Mellieħa in 1891. Just before World War II, Fort Campbell was built in Selmun, whilst Mellieħa Fort was built on top of Mellieħa Hill as a lookout post. The British also built a number of pillboxes around the coastline of Mellieħa, for defensive purposes in case of an Italian or German invasion. Mellieħa has seen a lot of development since the end of the war. The Mellieħa Local Council was established by the Local Councils Act of 1993.

Read more on Mellieħa, Wikivoyage Mellieħa and Wikipedia Mellieħa (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Frogmore House in Royal Berkshire

Frogmore House in Royal Berkshire

[caption id="attachment_215830" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Karen Roe/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Frogmore Estate or Gardens comprise 33 acres (130,000 m²) of private gardens within the Home Park, adjoining Windsor Castle, in the English county of Berkshire. It is the location of Frogmore House, a royal retreat, and Frogmore Cottage. The name derives from the preponderance of frogs which have always lived in this low-lying and marshy area near the River Thames. This area is part of the local flo...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Afghanistan - Mazar-i-Sharif

Theme Week Afghanistan - Mazar-i-Sharif

[caption id="attachment_209050" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Blue Mosque © flickr.com - ISAF Headquarters Public Affairs Office/cc-by-2.0.[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mazār-i-Sharīf, also called Mazār-e Sharīf, or just Mazar, is the fourth-largest city of Afghanistan, with a 2015 UN–Habitat population estimate 430,000. It is the capital of Balkh province and is linked by highways with Kunduz in the east, Kabul in the southeast, Herat in the west and Termez in Uzbekistan in the north. It is about 55 km (34 mi) from the U...

[ read more ]

Bora Bora in the South Pacific

Bora Bora in the South Pacific

[caption id="attachment_153628" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Taka-0905[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bora Bora is an island in the Leeward group of the Society Islands of French Polynesia, an overseas collectivity of France in the Pacific Ocean. The island, located about 230 kilometres (143 miles) northwest of Pape'ete, is surrounded by a lagoon and a barrier reef. In the centre of the island are the remnants of an extinct volcano rising to two peaks, Mount Pahia and Mount Otemanu, the highest point at 727 metres (2,385 feet)...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Madrid - The Cuatro Torres Business Area

Theme Week Madrid - The Cuatro Torres Business Area

[caption id="attachment_153898" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Archivaldo/cc-by-3.0[/caption] [responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cuatro Torres Business Area (CTBA) (Spanish for Four Towers Business Area) is a business district located in the Paseo de la Castellana in Madrid, on the former Ciudad Deportiva of Real Madrid. The area contains the tallest skyscrapers in Madrid and Spain. The construction of the buildings finished in 2008. The complex was formerly known as Madrid Arena. Designed by Henry N. Cobb and built by Obrascón Huarte Lain...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Friuli Venezia Giulia - San Vito al Tagliamento

Theme Week Friuli Venezia Giulia - San Vito al Tagliamento

[caption id="attachment_223873" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Sirleonidas/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]San Vito al Tagliamento is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Pordenone in the Italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, located about 80 kilometres (50 mi) northwest of Trieste and about 20 kilometres (12 mi) southeast of Pordenone. It is a medieval town on the right bank of the Tagliamento river. [gallery size="large" gss="1" ids="223867,223868,223869,223870,223871,223872,223873,223874,223875,2238...

[ read more ]

Marlborough in Wiltshire

Marlborough in Wiltshire

[caption id="attachment_152557" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Marlborough College Court © Dabbler[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Marlborough is a market town and civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire on the Old Bath Road, the old main road from London to Bath. It is reputed to have one of the widest high streets in Britain, second only to Stockton-on-Tees. The town is on the river Kennet. William II established the neighbouring Savernake Forest as a favourite Royal hunting ground and Marlborough Castle became a ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week La Rioja - Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Theme Week La Rioja - Santo Domingo de la Calzada

[caption id="attachment_153256" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Plaza de España © Ecelan/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Santo Domingo de la Calzada is situated on the banks of the Oja River. Its name refers to its founder, Dominic de la Calzada, who built a bridge, hospital, and hotel here for pilgrims on the Way of St. James. The town's Cathedral of Santo Domingo de la Calzada is dedicated to him. Its facade contains statues of Emeterius and Celedonius. The altar was sculpted in 1537-40 by Damián Forment in the Rena...

[ read more ]

New Guardhouse in Berlin

New Guardhouse in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_219560" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Neue Wache (English: New Guard) is a listed building on Unter den Linden boulevard in the historic centre of Berlin, Germany. Erected from 1816 to 1818 according to plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel as a guardhouse for the Royal Palace and a memorial to the Liberation Wars, it is considered as a major work of Prussian Neoclassical architecture. A Victoria relief by Johann Gottfried Schadow and five Gener...

[ read more ]

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

[caption id="attachment_154244" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Orangery and teahouse © Lucas Friese/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Altenburg is a city in Thuringia, located 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of Leipzig, 90 kilometres (56 miles) west of Dresden and 100 kilometres (62 miles) east of Erfurt. It is the capital of the Altenburger Land district and part of a polycentric old-industrial textile and metal production region between Gera, Zwickau and Chemnitz with more than 1 million inhabitants, while the city itse...

[ read more ]

The Marella Discovery

The Marella Discovery

[caption id="attachment_226787" align="aligncenter" width="590"] leaving the River Tyne, England © Spooglecruft/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Marella Discovery (formerly Splendour of the Seas and TUI Discovery) is a former Royal Caribbean International Vision-class cruise ship now sailing for Marella Cruises. The second in the line of the Vision-class ships, she features a seven-story lobby, rock-climbing wall, and a 9-hole miniature golf course. Following the announcement on 9 October 2017 that Thomson Cruises would b...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© documenta-fifteen.de
documenta fifteen in Kassel

documenta is an exhibition of contemporary art which takes place every five years in Kassel, Germany. It was founded by...

© Chabe01/cc-by-sa-4.0
Place Dauphine in Paris

The Place Dauphine is a public square located near the western end of the Île de la Cité in the...

Rockfish Grill and Anacortes Brewery © flickr.com - brewbooks/cc-by-sa-2.0
Anacortes in Washington

Anacortes is a city in Skagit County, Washington, United States. The name "Anacortes" is an adaptation of the name of...

Schließen