Margravial Opera House Bayreuth

Thursday, 25 November 2021 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Opera Houses, Theaters, Libraries, UNESCO World Heritage
Reading Time:  4 minutes

Stage © Pierre Schoberth/cc-by-sa-3.0

Stage © Pierre Schoberth/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Margravial Opera House (German: Markgräfliches Opernhaus) is a Baroque opera house in the town of Bayreuth, Germany, built between 1745 and 1750. It is one of Europe’s few surviving theatres of the period and has been extensively restored. On 30 June 2012, the opera house was inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List. It was built according to plans designed by the French architect Joseph Saint-Pierre (ca. 1709 – 1754), court builder of the Hohenzollern margrave Frederick of Brandenburg-Bayreuth and his wife Princess Wilhelmine of Prussia. It was inaugurated on the occasion of the marriage of their daughter Elisabeth Fredericka Sophie with Duke Charles Eugene of Württemberg.

The wooden interior was designed by Giuseppe Galli Bibiena (1696 – 1757) and his son Carlo from Bologna in an Italian Late Baroque style. The box theatre is completely preserved in its original condition, except for the curtain which was taken by Napoleon‘s troops on their march to the 1812 Russian campaign. The prince box was seldom used by the art-minded margravial couple, who preferred a front-row seat. Princess Wilhelmine, older sister of the Prussian king Frederick the Great, had established the margravial theatre company in 1737. In the new opera house she participated as a composer of opera works and Singspiele, as well as an actor and director. Today she features in a sound-and-light presentation for tourists. After her death in 1758, performances ceased and the building went into disuse, one reason for its good conservation status.

© Tilman2007/cc-by-sa-3.0 Logenränge © Pierre Schoberth/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Chianti Fürstenloge © Pierre Schoberth/cc-by-sa-3.0 Interior © Dbopp/cc-by-sa-3.0 Stage © Pierre Schoberth/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Fürstenloge © Pierre Schoberth/cc-by-sa-3.0
More than one hundred years later, the stage’s great depth of 27 metres (89 ft) attracted the composer Richard Wagner, who in 1872 chose Bayreuth as festival centre and had the Festspielhaus built north of the town. The foundation stone ceremony was held on 22 May, Wagner’s birthday, and included a performance of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, directed by the maestro.

Parts of the 1994 biopic Farinelli were filmed in the Opera House. The theatre was the site of the annual Bayreuther Osterfestival until 2009. Each September from the year 2000 to 2009, the theatre also hosted the Bayreuth Baroque festival, with performances of early operatic rarities. The 2009 festival included performances of Andrea Bernasconi‘s festa teatrale, L’Huomo, to a libretto by the Margravine Wilhelmine.

The theatre closed between October 2012 for extensive refurbishment and redevelopment and reopened 12 April 2018.

Read more on bayreuth-tourismus.de – Margravial Opera House and Wikipedia Margravial Opera House (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Swiss - Château-d'Œx in the Riviera-Pays-d'Enhaut District

Theme Week Swiss - Château-d'Œx in the Riviera-Pays-d'Enhaut District

[caption id="attachment_206141" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ivan Babovic/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Château-d'Œx is a municipality in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland. It is in the district of Riviera-Pays-d'Enhaut. Château-d'Œx is a small village of approximately 3,500 inhabitants in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. In recent years, Château-d'Œx has become increasingly popular among travelers primarily for the village's incredibly authentic Swiss alpine feel, stunning natural surroundings, and...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Steinway & Sons, manufacturer of grand pianos and pianos

Portrait: Steinway & Sons, manufacturer of grand pianos and pianos

[caption id="attachment_162558" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Steinway & Sons[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Steinway & Sons, also known as Steinway, is an American and German piano company, founded in 1853 in Manhattan, New York City, by German immigrant Heinrich Engelhard Steinweg (later known as Henry E. Steinway). The company's growth led to the opening of a factory in Queens, New York City, and a factory in Hamburg, Germany. The factory in Queens supplies the Americas and the factory in Hamburg supplies the rest of the wor...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Mexico - Mexico City in the Valley of Mexico

Theme Week Mexico - Mexico City in the Valley of Mexico

[caption id="attachment_6981" align="aligncenter" width="590"] National Palace © Reinhard Jahn/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mexico City (also known as México D.F., or simply D.F.) is the Federal District (Distrito Federal), capital of Mexico and seat of the federal powers of the Mexican Union. It is a federal entity within Mexico which is not part of any one of the 31 Mexican states but belongs to the federation as a whole. Mexico City is the country's largest city as well as its most important political, cultural, e...

[ read more ]

Havar Island in Croatia

Havar Island in Croatia

[caption id="attachment_234447" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Hvar Town © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hvar is a Croatian island in the Adriatic Sea, located off the Dalmatian coast, lying between the islands of Brač, Vis and Korčula. Approximately 68 km (42.25 mi) long, with a high east–west ridge of Mesozoic limestone and dolomite, the island of Hvar is unusual in the area for having a large fertile coastal plain, and fresh water springs. Its hillsides are covered in pine forests, with vineyard...

[ read more ]

Bushwick in New York City

Bushwick in New York City

[caption id="attachment_206076" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Brownstones and apartment buldings on Bushwick Avenue © Noremacmada[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bushwick is a working-class neighborhood in the northern part of the New York City borough of Brooklyn. It is bounded by the neighborhood of Ridgewood, Queens, to the northeast; Williamsburg to the northwest; East New York and the cemeteries of Highland Park to the southeast; Brownsville to the south; and Bedford-Stuyvesant to the southwest. The town was first fou...

[ read more ]

Burlington House on Piccadilly

Burlington House on Piccadilly

[caption id="attachment_26744" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Tony Hisgett/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Burlington House is a building on Piccadilly in London. It was originally a private Palladian mansion, and was expanded in the mid-19th century after being purchased by the British government. The main building is at the northern end of the courtyard and houses the Royal Academy, while five learned societies occupy the two wings on the east and west sides of the courtyard and the Piccadilly wing at the southern end...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Ulster - Ballycastle

Theme Week Ulster - Ballycastle

[caption id="attachment_153141" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ann Street © geograph.org.uk - Dean Molyneaux/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ballycastle (from Irish: Baile an Chaistil, meaning "town of the castle") is a small town in County Antrim in Northern Ireland. It has a population of 5,000 people. It is the seat and main settlement of Moyle District Council. Overlooking the harbour there is a monument to Guglielmo Marconi whose employees made the world's first commercial wireless telegraph transmission between B...

[ read more ]

Moulins in Auvergne

Moulins in Auvergne

[caption id="attachment_160785" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Moulins and Cathedral © Alphanumeric[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Moulins is a commune in central France, capital of the Allier department. Among its many tourist attractions are the Maison Mantin the Anne de Beaujeu Museum. Moulins is located on the banks of the Allier River. Moulins-Montbeugny Airport is a small airport located near Moulins. Before the French Revolution, Moulins was the capital of the province of Bourbonnais and the seat of the Dukes of Bou...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Hungary

Theme Week Hungary

[caption id="attachment_222792" align="aligncenter" width="590"] View from Gellert Hill to the Danube in Budapest © flickr.com - Visions of Domino/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hungary is a country in Central Europe. Spanning 93,030 square kilometres (35,920 sq mi) of the Carpathian Basin, it is bordered by Slovakia to the north, Ukraine to the northeast, Romania to the east and southeast, Serbia to the south, Croatia and Slovenia to the southwest, and Austria to the west. Hungary is a landlocked country. Hungary has a po...

[ read more ]

Canterbury Cathedral in England

Canterbury Cathedral in England

[caption id="attachment_225218" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Hans Musil/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Canterbury Cathedral in Canterbury, Kent, is one of the oldest and most famous Christian structures in England. It forms part of a World Heritage Site. It is the cathedral of the Archbishop of Canterbury, currently Justin Welby, leader of the Church of England and symbolic leader of the worldwide Anglican Communion. Its formal title is the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of Christ at Canterbury. Founded in 59...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© flickr.com - psyberartist/cc-by-2.0
Theme Week County Cork – Kinsale

Kinsale (Irish: Cionn tSáile, meaning 'head of the brine') is an historic port and fishing town in County Cork, Ireland,...

Franz Marc, 1910
Portrait: Franz Marc, one of the key figures of German Expressionism

Franz Moritz Wilhelm Marc (8 February 1880 - 4 March 1916) was a German painter and printmaker, one of the...

Main Street North © Timothw
Theme Week County Cork – Union Hall

Union Hall (Irish: Bréantrá) is a small fishing village located in County Cork, Ireland, located on the west side of...

Schließen