Mariners’ Museum and Park in Newport News

Friday, 6 September 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Museums, Exhibitions

© Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Mariners’ Museum and Park is located in Newport News, Virginia, United States. Designated as America’s National Maritime Museum by Congress, it is one of the largest maritime museums in North America. The Mariners’ Museum Library, contains the largest maritime history collection in the Western Hemisphere.

The museum was founded in 1930 by Archer Milton Huntington, son of Collis P. Huntington, a railroad builder who brought the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway to Warwick County, Virginia, and who founded the City of Newport News, its coal export facilities, and Newport News Shipbuilding in the late 19th century. Huntington and his wife, the sculptor Anna Hyatt Huntington, acquired 800 acres (320 ha) of land that would come to hold 90,000 square feet (8,400 m²) of exhibition galleries, a research library, a 167-acre (68 ha) lake, a 5-mile (8.0 km) shoreline trail with fourteen bridges, and over 35,000 maritime artifacts from around the globe. After the land acquisition took place, the first two years were devoted to creating and improving a natural park and constructing a dam to create Lake Maury, named after the nineteenth-century Virginia oceanographer, Commodore Matthew Fontaine Maury.

The museum’s collection totals approximately 32,000 artifacts, equally divided between works of art and three-dimensional objects. The scope of the collection is international and includes miniature ship models, scrimshaw, maritime paintings, decorative arts, carved figureheads, working steam engines, and the world’s only known existing Kratz-built steam calliope. The museum holds important collections of paintings and drawings by marine artists James Bard and Antonio Jacobsen. The museum offers educational programs for all ages, a large research library and archives, as well as publications and Internet resources for teachers. The largest boat in its collection is the Oracle Team USA 17, the yacht that won the 2013 America’s Cup.

Figurehead from the USS Lancaster © Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0 Gift Shop © Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0 Propeller from USS Monitor © Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0 Replica of USS Monitor © Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Figurehead from the USS Lancaster © Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Mariners’ Museum is home to the USS Monitor Center. In 1973, the wreck of the ironclad USS Monitor, made famous in the Battle of Hampton Roads in 1862, during the American Civil War, was located on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean about 16 miles southeast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. The wreck site was designated as the United States’ first national marine sanctuary. Monitor Sanctuary is the only one of the thirteen national marine sanctuaries created to protect a cultural resource, rather than a natural resource or a mix of natural and cultural resources. The Monitor National Marine Sanctuary is now under the supervision of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Many artifacts from Monitor, including her innovative turret, propeller, anchor, engine and some personal effects of the crew, have been brought to the museum. For several years, they were conserved in special tanks to stabilize the metal. The new USS Monitor Center officially opened on March 9, 2007, and a full-scale replica of the Monitor, the original recovered turret, and many artifacts and related items are now on display. Current efforts are focused on restoring the engine.

The Mariners’ Museum Park is 550 acres of privately maintained, naturally wooded property that offers visitors a quiet and serene place to walk, run, or picnic. Within the Park is the 167-acre Lake Maury, named for the famed 19th-century oceanographer and native Virginian, Matthew Fontaine Maury. Following the shoreline of Lake Maury is the five-mile Noland Trail. Dedicated as a gift from the Noland Family in 1991 and with significant ongoing financial support from the Noland Family, the trail has fourteen bridges, picnic areas, benches, handicap access, and mile markers. Each fall The Mariners’ Museum hosts a 10K run on the Noland Trail. The Mariners’ Museum Park is open daily to the public. Benches at approximately every half-mile offer places of rest along the trail, and views of Lake Maury can be found around every corner. The famous Lions Bridge, a dam that provides a scenic view of the James River, remains a highlight for visitors—a perfect family gathering place to enjoy the Museum Park. The beauty of the dam is enhanced by several fine pieces of statuary designed by Anna Hyatt Huntington, sculptor and wife of Museum founder Archer Milton Huntington. Four stone lions were mounted on the ends of the parapets of the dam in October 1932. Anna also created and dedicated a monument entitled Conquering the Wild that overlooks the Lions Bridge, the park, and Lake Maury.

Read more on Mariners’ Museum and Park and Wikipedia Mariners’ Museum and Park (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune‎ in Burgundy

Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune‎ in Burgundy

[caption id="attachment_24152" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Arnaud 25/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Hospices de Beaune or Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune is a former charitable almshouse in Beaune in the Burgundy region. It was founded in 1443 by Nicolas Rolin, chancellor of Burgundy, as a hospital for the poor and needy. The original hospital building, the Hôtel-Dieu, one of the finest examples of French fifteenth-century architecture, is now a museum. Services for patients are now provided in modern hospital buildin...

[ read more ]

Valletta on Malta

Valletta on Malta

[caption id="attachment_152812" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Grandmaster's Palace © Zairon/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Valletta is the capital of Malta, colloquially known as Il-Belt (English: The City) in Maltese. It is located in the central-eastern portion of the island of Malta, and the historical city has a population of 6,966. Valletta is the second southernmost capital of the EU member states after Nicosia. Valletta contains buildings from the 16th century onwards, built during the rule of the Orde...

[ read more ]

Baku, the capital and largest city of Azerbaijan

Baku, the capital and largest city of Azerbaijan

[caption id="attachment_4958" align="aligncenter" width="590" caption="Art Nouveau building © İhsan Deniz Kılıçoğlu"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Baku is the capital and largest city of Azerbaijan, as well as the largest city on the Caspian Sea and of the Caucasus region. It is located on the southern shore of the Absheron Peninsula, which projects into the Caspian Sea. The city consists of two principal parts: the downtown and the old Inner City (21.5 ha). Baku's urban population at the beginning of 2009 was estimated at ju...

[ read more ]

The Mediterranean Sea

The Mediterranean Sea

[caption id="attachment_152441" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ships near Blue Lagoon - Malta © larrylurex[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Mediterranean Sea is a sea connected to the Atlantic Ocean surrounded by the Mediterranean region and almost completely enclosed by land: on the north by Anatolia and Europe, on the south by North Africa, and on the east by the Levant. The sea is technically a part of the Atlantic Ocean, although it is usually identified as a completely separate body of water. It was an important rou...

[ read more ]

Tampa on the west coast of Florida

Tampa on the west coast of Florida

[caption id="attachment_168620" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Henry B. Plant Museum © James E. Scholz/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tampa is a major city in, and the county seat of, Hillsborough County. It is located on the west coast of Florida on Tampa Bay, near the Gulf of Mexico, and is the largest city in the Tampa Bay Area. The city has a population of 377,000. Today, Tampa is part of the metropolitan area most commonly referred to as the "Tampa Bay Area". For U.S. Census purposes, Tampa is part of the Tampa-S...

[ read more ]

Zhongnanhai in Beijing

Zhongnanhai in Beijing

[caption id="attachment_28244" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Xinhua Gate, Gate of New China © PENG, Yanan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zhongnanhai is an imperial garden in central Beijing, adjacent to the Forbidden City; it serves as the central headquarters for the Communist Party of China and the State Council (Central government) of the People's Republic of China. The term Zhongnanhai is closely linked with the central government and senior Communist Party officials. It is often used as a metonym for the Chinese...

[ read more ]

The Zeughaus in Berlin

The Zeughaus in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_26624" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Avda/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Zeughaus (old Arsenal) in Berlin is the oldest structure at Unter den Linden. It was built by the Brandenburg Elector Frederick III between 1695 and 1730 in the baroque style, to be used as an artillery arsenal for the display of cannons from Brandenburg and Prussia. The first building master was Johann Arnold Nering. After his death in 1695, he was followed by Martin Grünberg, then Andreas Schlüter and fi...

[ read more ]

The Titisee in the Black Forest

The Titisee in the Black Forest

[caption id="attachment_150951" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ignaz Wiradi/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Titisee is a lake in the southern Black Forest in Baden-Württemberg. It is said it got its name from Roman Emperor Titus. It covers an area of 1.07 km² and has an average depth of 20 m. It owes its creation to the Feldberg glacier, the moraine ploughed up by which in the Pleistocene epoch nowadays forms the lake's shores. The lake's outflow, at 840 m above sea level, is the river Gutach (or as it is c...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Gemäldegalerie © Membeth
Kulturforum Berlin

The Kulturforum is a collection of cultural buildings in Berlin. It was built up in the 1950s and 1960s at...

© XenonX3
German Maritime Museum in Bremerhaven

The German Maritime Museum (Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum (DSM)) is a museum in Bremerhaven, Germany. It is part of the Gottfried Wilhelm...

Deutsches Museum in München - Fünfmast-Vollschiff Preußen Modell © Mattes
The Preussen

Preußen (usually Preussen in English) was a German steel-hulled five-masted ship-rigged windjammer built in 1902 for the F. Laeisz shipping...

Schließen