Marblehead in Massachusetts

Monday, 23 October 2017 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  6 minutes

Marblehead welcome sign © Bkg333/cc-by-sa-4.0

Marblehead welcome sign © Bkg333/cc-by-sa-4.0

Marblehead is a coastal New England town in Essex County, Massachusetts. Its population is at 20,000. It is home to the Marblehead Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Crocker Park, the Marblehead Lighthouse, Fort Sewall, Little Harbor and Devereux Beach. Archibald Willard‘s famous painting The Spirit of ’76 currently resides in Abbot Hall. A town with roots in commercial fishing, whaling and yachting, Marblehead was a major shipyard and is often referred to as the birthplace of the American Navy, a title sometimes disputed with nearby Beverly. It is also the origin of Marine Corps Aviation. A center of recreational boating, it is a popular sailing, kayaking and fishing destination. Several yacht clubs were established here in the late 19th century, which continue to be centers of sailing.

A large percentage of residents became involved early in the Revolutionary War, and the sailors of Marblehead are generally recognized by scholars as forerunners of the United States Navy. The first vessel commissioned for the navy, Hannah, was equipped with cannons, rope, provision (including the indigenous molasses/sea water cookie known as “Joe Frogger”) — and a crew from Marblehead. With their nautical backgrounds, soldiers from Marblehead under General John Glover were instrumental in the escape of the Continental Army after the Battle of Long Island. Marblehead men ferried George Washington across the Delaware River for his attack on Trenton. Many who set out for war, however, did not return, leaving the town with 459 widows and 865 orphaned children in a population of less than 5,000. The community lost a substantial portion of its population and economy, although it was still the tenth-largest inhabited location in the United States at the first census, in 1790. When George Washington visited the town during his presidential tour of 1789, he knew the sailors of Marblehead well; they had served him honorably in the war. He observed that the town “had the appearance of antiquity.”

Washington Street © Zandcee/cc-by-sa-3.0 Old Town House © Zandcee/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Keitei/cc-by-sa-3.0 Marblehead welcome sign © Bkg333/cc-by-sa-4.0 Marblehead Light © Fletcher6/cc-by-sa-3.0 Marblehead Harbor © Tort100/cc-by-sa-3.0 Marblehead Harbor © Fetcher/cc-by-4.0 Marblehead © Zandcee
<
>
Marblehead welcome sign © Bkg333/cc-by-sa-4.0
At the beginning of the 19th century, wealthier citizens wanted a new bank to finance vessels, and to serve the town’s fishermen and merchants. On March 17, 1831, with a capital of $100,000, they founded the Grand Bank. The name was changed to National Grand Bank on October 3, 1864. After the Revolution, fishing continued as a major industry. The town’s fishermen had 98 vessels (95 of which exceeded 50 tons) putting to sea in 1837, where they often harvested fish off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. However, a gale or hurricane in that area on September 19, 1846, sank 11 vessels and damaged others. With 65 men and boys lost in the storm, the town’s fishing industry began a decline. The storm is depicted in Fireboard: The Great Gale of 1846, c. 1850 by William Thompson Bartoll. A copy of the book is held by the Peabody Essex Museum. During the late 19th century, Marblehead had a short-term industrial boom from shoe-making factories. At the same time, the exceptional harbor attracted yachting by wealthy boat owners, and some yacht clubs established centers there. It would become home to the Boston Yacht Club, Corinthian Yacht Club, Eastern Yacht Club, Marblehead Yacht Club, and the oldest junior yacht club in America, the Pleon Yacht Club. After World War II, the town enjoyed a population boom, developing as a bedroom community for nearby Boston, Lynn, and Salem. This boom ended around 1970, when the town became built out.

In the 75 years from the American Revolution to the middle of the nineteenth century, Marblehead experienced a golden age of fishing. For the next 50 years, the industry struggled, but from 1900 until the end of the twentieth century, one small anchorage made itself proud. From boat building to sail design, Little Harbor, also known as First Harbor, produced creative men whose innovations helped shape marine history. Marblehead’s First Harbor: The Rich History of a Small Fishing Port, written by Hugh Peabody Bishop and Brenda Bishop Booma tells the story through the eyes of a Marblehead fisherman. Today, the waters of Little Harbor, protected by Trustees of Reservations-owned Crowninshield Island and Priest Island, provide a mecca for human-powered water sports, kayaking and kayak fishing. Little Harbor is located in Old Town, surrounded by Fort Sewell, Burial Hill and Peaches Point. Devereux Beach is located on Ocean Avenue just before the causeway; Marblehead’s most popular beach offers more than five acres of sand, public picnic tables and a playground. It is a popular spot to observe fireworks on Fourth of July. Lifeguards are on duty once the beach opens for summer in late June.

Read more on Town of Marblehead, Discover Marblehead, Marblehead Chamber of Commerce, Wikivoyage Marblehead and Wikipedia Marblehead (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Grimsby in Lincolnshire

Grimsby in Lincolnshire

[caption id="attachment_227549" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall © geograph.org.uk - Stephen Richards/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Grimsby, also Great Grimsby, is a port town and the administrative centre of North East Lincolnshire, England, on the south bank of the Humber Estuary close to the North Sea. It was the home port for the world's largest fishing fleet by the mid-20th century, but fishing then fell sharply. The Cod Wars denied UK access to Icelandic fishing grounds and the European Union used its C...

[ read more ]

Ras al-Khaimah on the Persian Gulf

Ras al-Khaimah on the Persian Gulf

[caption id="attachment_26554" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © rasalkhaimahtourism.com[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ras al-Khaimah is a Persian Gulf Arab emirate and a member of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Its name means "Top of the Tent". The emirate is in the northern part of the UAE, bordering Oman's exclave of Musandam. It covers an area of 1,684 square km. The capital city and home of most residents is also called Ras Al Khaimah. The city has two main sections, Old Ras Al Khaimah and Nakheel, on either side of a creek....

[ read more ]

Lady Elliot Insel in Australia

Lady Elliot Insel in Australia

[caption id="attachment_150954" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lady Elliot Island © LordDimwit[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lady Elliot Island is the southernmost coral cay of the Great Barrier Reef. The island lies 46 nautical miles (85 km; 53 mi) north-east of Bundaberg and covers an area of approximately 45 hectares (110 acres). It is part of the Capricorn and Bunker Group of islands and is owned by the Commonwealth of Australia. The island is home to a small eco resort and an airstrip, which is serviced daily by flights from...

[ read more ]

Islamorada in the Florida Keys

Islamorada in the Florida Keys

[caption id="attachment_161970" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ex1le/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Islamorada, a "Village of Islands," is a village in Monroe County in Florida. It is located on the islands of Tea Table Key, Lower Matecumbe Key, Upper Matecumbe Key, Windley Key and Plantation Key in the Florida Keys. The village has a total population of 6,500. The name Islamorada (Original meaning: "Island Home" after the Pinder family schooner of that name), newly nicknamed, "The Purple Isle," came from ea...

[ read more ]

Yankee Stadium in New York City

Yankee Stadium in New York City

[caption id="attachment_230160" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Matt Boulton/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The current Yankee Stadium is a baseball stadium located in the Bronx, New York City. It is the home field for Major League Baseball's New York Yankees and Major League Soccer's New York City FC. The $2.3 billion stadium, built with $1.2 billion in public subsidies, replaced the original Yankee Stadium in 2009 and is the third-largest stadium in MLB by seating capacity. It is located one block nort...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Greenland - Uummannaq

Theme Week Greenland - Uummannaq

[caption id="attachment_229756" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © NorthernLight/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Uummannaq is a town in the Avannaata municipality, in central-western Greenland. With 1,407 inhabitants in 2020, it is the eighth-largest town in Greenland, and is home to the country's most northerly ferry terminal. Founded in 1763 as Omenak, the town is a hunting and fishing base, with a canning factory and a marble quarry. In 1932 the Universal Greenland-Filmexpedition with director Arnold Fanck released th...

[ read more ]

The sail training ship Irving Johnson

The sail training ship Irving Johnson

[caption id="attachment_183077" align="aligncenter" width="590"] 2010 Festival of Sail © flickr.com - Port of San Diego/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The twin brigantines Irving Johnson and Exy Johnson are the flagships of the Los Angeles Maritime Institute's (LAMI) TopSail Youth Program, a non-profit organization that helps at-risk youth learn discipline and teamwork through sailing. They join LAMI's topsail schooners the Swift of Ipswich and the Bill of Rights. The boats are named for sail training pioneers Irving and E...

[ read more ]

Děčín in the Bohemian Switzerland

Děčín in the Bohemian Switzerland

[caption id="attachment_153839" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Děčín Castle © Ondřej Koníček[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Děčín is a town in the Ústí nad Labem Region in the north of the Czech Republic. It is the largest town and administrative seat of the Děčín District. From 1938 to 1945 it was one of the municipalities in Sudetenland. Děčín is located in northwestern Bohemia at the confluence of the rivers Elbe and Ploučnice (Czech: Labe). The Elbe having cut through the soft sandstone mountains of t...

[ read more ]

Sagrada Família in Barcelona

Sagrada Família in Barcelona

[caption id="attachment_237756" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Basílica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família, shortened as the Sagrada Família, is an under construction church in the Eixample district of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It is the largest unfinished Catholic church in the world. Designed by architect Antoni Gaudí (1852–1926), his work on Sagrada Família is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. On 7 November 2010, Pope Benedict XVI consecrated t...

[ read more ]

Lipstick Building in New York City

Lipstick Building in New York City

[caption id="attachment_228859" align="aligncenter" width="442"] © flickr.com - Filip Maljković/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Lipstick Building, also known as 885 Third Avenue and 53rd at Third, is a 453-foot (138 meter) tall skyscraper at Third Avenue between 53rd Street and 54th Street in the Midtown Manhattan neighborhood of New York City. It was completed in 1986 and has 34 floors. The building was designed by John Burgee and Philip Johnson for Hines Interests and was developer Gerald D. Hines's first project ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Lakefront Park © Miosotis Jade/cc-by-sa-4.0
Kissimmee in Florida

Kissimmee is a city in Osceola County in Florida with a population of 69,000. It is the county seat of...

© Klackalica/cc-by-2.5
Mamula Island in Montenegro

Mamula (also known as Lastavica) is an uninhabited islet in the Adriatic Sea, within the southwestern Montenegrin municipality of Herceg...

Kyushu Food Booth © Ominae/cc-by-sa-4.0
Kyushu Island in Japan

Kyushu or Kiushu is the third biggest island of Japan and most southwesterly of its four main islands. Its alternative...

Schließen