Malkhei Yisrael Street in West Jerusalem

Wednesday, 1 December 2021 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Union for the Mediterranean
Reading Time:  5 minutes

Morning shoppers © Yoninah/cc-by-sa-3.0

Morning shoppers © Yoninah/cc-by-sa-3.0

Malkhei Yisrael Street (lit. “Kings of Israel Street”), also spelled Malchei Yisrael, is an east-west street in the Geula neighborhood of north-central West Jerusalem. Its eastern flank, which abuts Mea Shearim Street at an intersection called Kikar HaShabbat (Sabbath Square), is the main shopping district for Haredi Jewish residents of northern West Jerusalem. The remainder of the street, which extends to Sarei Yisrael Street at its western end, includes the historic Schneller Compound and numerous Haredi and Hasidic yeshivas, girls’ schools, and synagogues.

The eastern end of Malkhei Yisrael, which is the heart of the Haredi commercial district for northern West Jerusalem, has been called “the ultra-Orthodox Oxford Street“. Spanning approximately 300 metres (980 ft), and branching out into the side streets, this area is noteworthy for its huge volume of foot traffic and the high cost of commercial space – rent per square meter is equal to or greater than that of commercial space in Israel’s major malls. Many stores are open from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and the street is especially crowded on Thursday nights, summer nights, and the eve of Jewish holidays. Traffic on the two-lane street often comes to a standstill throughout the day, as in addition to cars and delivery trucks, bus lines serving northern Haredi neighborhoods and Rachel’s Tomb near the Palestinian Bethlehem im West Bank ply the street. The weekday hubbub only ceases on Friday afternoon before the advent of Shabbat, while on Friday nights, Malkhei Yisrael and neighboring streets are filled with Hasidic Jews and tourists walking on foot to the various Hasidic courts in and around Geula.

Schneller Compound © Yoninah/cc-by-sa-3.0 Morning shoppers © Yoninah/cc-by-sa-3.0 Friday afternoon © Yoninah/cc-by-sa-3.0 Shopping district © Yoninah/cc-by-sa-3.0 Porat Yosef Yeshiva © Yoninah/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Porat Yosef Yeshiva © Yoninah/cc-by-sa-3.0
There are no indoor malls on this street; rather, the avenue is lined with dozens of small shops that sell essential consumer goods such as “clothes, food, school supplies, medicine, and limited luxuries” to the Haredi community. There are kosher music stores, kosher pizza shops, home appliance stores, falafel and juice stands, a kosher ice cream parlor, pharmacies, photo shops, a teenage novelty store, Judaica sellers, kosher bakeries, and a shtiebel with continuous minyanim. All food stores carry reliable hechsherim (kashrut certificates) to appeal to the Haredi clientele, which often shops with children in tow. In the weeks before Sukkot, numerous stores vacate their premises and rent their space to etrog dealers, while sidewalk vendors sell etrogs, lulavs, sukkah decorations and pictures of rabbinical figures. As a central Haredi shopping district for both locals and tourists, Malkhei Yisrael Street is also populated by a number of street beggars, some of whom have been working the street for decades.

The Schneller Compound, located along the center section of Malkhei Yisrael Street behind a long stone wall, predates all of the streets and neighborhoods surrounding it. The land was purchased in 1855 by the German Father Johann Ludwig Schneller, a Lutheran missionary, as a family estate. Following an 1860 massacre of thousands of Maronite Christians in Lebanon and Syria by Lebanese Druze, Schneller rescued nine Christian boys and established an orphanage on his property. By the time of Schneller’s death on 18 October 1896, 1500 children had passed through the orphanage’s doors. By 1903 this educational facility had grown to eight buildings and included an orphanage, a school for the blind, and vocational workshops for youth. The compound was taken over by the Turkish army as an army barracks during World War I, by the British during World War II, and by the Jewish terror organization Haganah during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. After that, it was used as a base for the Israel Defense Forces and an army clinic for 60 years. In 2008 the army base was relocated to the Ofrit base near Mount Scopus. In November 2010, the Schneller grounds were designated as a public parking lot by the municipality to ease the parking problems in Geula. One hundred parking spaces were made available for up to 3 hours. In 2011 the Israel Land Administration approved plans for the development of 218 luxury apartments on the property while preserving the eight original orphanage buildings.

Read more on Wikipedia Malkhei Yisrael Street (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Alytus, center of the Dzūkija region

Alytus, center of the Dzūkija region

[caption id="attachment_160557" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view of Alytus © Auriukux[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The sixth largest city in the country, the biggest regional economic, administrative, cultural and educational centre of Southern Lithuania. Alytus occupies 40 square kilometres with more than 68 thousand inhabitants. Alytus has a favourable geographic situation: Alytus County borders Belarus, Poland and Russia. Alytus is on the highway both to the West (France, Germany, Poland, etc.) and to the E...

[ read more ]

Curaçao in the Caribbean

Curaçao in the Caribbean

[caption id="attachment_153523" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sea Aquarium © Bjørn Christian Tørrissen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Curaçao is an island in the southern Caribbean Sea, off the Venezuelan coast, that forms part of the Dutch Caribbean. The Country of Curaçao (Dutch: Land Curaçao; Papiamento: Pais Kòrsou), which includes the main island and the small, uninhabited island of Klein Curaçao ("Little Curaçao"), is a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. It has a population of over 1...

[ read more ]

The Liberty of the Seas

The Liberty of the Seas

[caption id="attachment_196082" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Andreas Hobi/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Liberty of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean International Freedom-class cruise ship which entered regular service in May 2007. It was initially announced that she would be called Endeavour of the Seas, however this name was later changed. The 15-deck ship accommodates 3,634 passengers served by 1,360 crew. She was built in 18 months at the Aker Finnyards Turku Shipyard, Finland, where her sist...

[ read more ]

European Day of Jewish Culture

European Day of Jewish Culture

[caption id="attachment_201637" align="aligncenter" width="420"] EDJC 2019[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The European Day of Jewish Culture is an event celebrated in several countries in Europe. The aim of this day is to organize activities related to Jewish culture and expose them to the public, with the intention that it would reveal the cultural and historical heritage of the Jewish people. The activities are coordinated by the European Association for the Preservation and Promotion of Jewish Culture (AEPJ), the European Council ...

[ read more ]

Forlimpopoli in Emilia-Romagna

Forlimpopoli in Emilia-Romagna

[caption id="attachment_160719" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Porta © Icio747[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Forlimpopoli is a town and comune in the Province of Forlì-Cesena, northern Italy. It is located on the Via Emilia between Cesena and Forlì. Outside the town is the Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie di Fornò, one of the most notable circular plan churches in Italy (late 15th century). It houses two works by Agostino di Duccio. The basilica of San Rufillo was built in the 6th century but it is now a more recent recon...

[ read more ]

The solarCity in Linz

The solarCity in Linz

[caption id="attachment_5993" align="aligncenter" width="590" caption="© solarcity.at"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The solarCity is an energy-saving living district in Linz-Pichling, Austria, which provides living space for about 4,000 people. The houses were built using a low-energy design. The idea and motivation for providing energy efficient living arrangements stems from the fact that fossil fuels contribute to global warming and that their use should therefore be avoided. Planning of the project began in 1992. Sinc...

[ read more ]

The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island

The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island

[caption id="attachment_183071" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Eli Duke/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Grand Hotel is a historic hotel and coastal resort on Mackinac Island in Michigan, a small island located at the eastern end of the Straits of Mackinac within Lake Huron between the state's Upper and Lower peninsulas. Constructed in the late 19th century, the facility advertises itself as having the world's largest veranda. The Grand Hotel is well known for a number of notable visitors, including f...

[ read more ]

Michelstadt in the Odenwald

Michelstadt in the Odenwald

[caption id="attachment_160694" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Timber-framed houses at the market square with the market well © Joachim Köhler[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Michelstadt in the Odenwald is a town in the Odenwaldkreis (district) in southern Hesse, Germany between Darmstadt and Heidelberg. Michelstadt is the biggest town in the Odenwaldkreis and borders on the district seat of Erbach. The building of the railway line and its completion through to Darmstadt in 1870 and then Eberbach in 1881 brought Michelstad...

[ read more ]

Stock Island in Florida

Stock Island in Florida

[caption id="attachment_207637" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Averette/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Stock Island is a census-designated place (CDP) & Unincorporated community on an island of the same name in the Florida Keys in Monroe County, Florida, United States. The population of the CDP was 4,410 at the 2000 census. It is located on the portion of the island south of US 1. It is supposedly named for the herds of livestock formerly kept there. Alternatively, some local historians suggest that it may be named fo...

[ read more ]

Albertville in the Alps

Albertville in the Alps

[caption id="attachment_150613" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Place Charles Albert © Tiia Monto/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Albertville is a commune in the Savoie department in the Rhône-Alpes region in south-eastern France. Albertville is situated on the Arly River, close to the confluence with the Isère River. Nearby mountains include: Belle Etoile, Dent de Cons, Négresse, Roche Pourrie, Mirantin, Pointe de la Grande Journée, and Chaîne du Grand Arc. Nearby mountain ranges include: the Bauges; the Beauforta...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Ariel Steiner/cc-by-sa-2.5
Leshan Giant Buddha in China

The Leshan Giant Buddha is a 71-metre (233 ft) tall stone statue, built between 713 and 803 (during the Tang...

Towns and villages depopulated during the 1947–1949 Palestine war © Wiki Commons
Towns and villages depopulated during the 1947–1949 Palestine war

During the 1947–1949 Palestine war around 400 Arab towns and villages were depopulated, with a majority being entirely destroyed and...

© Andreas F. Borchert/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week County Cork – Glengarriff

Glengarriff (Irish: Gleann Garbh, meaning 'rough glen') is a village of approximately 140 people on the N71 national secondary road...

Schließen