Macy’s

Wednesday, 3 September 2014 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, New York City

Macy's plaque at Herald Square, New York © Wikijazz/cc-by-sa-3.0

Macy’s plaque at Herald Square, New York © Wikijazz/cc-by-sa-3.0

Macy’s, originally R. H. Macy & Co., is a mid-range to upscale chain of department stores owned by American multinational corporation Macy’s, Inc. It is one of two divisions owned by the company, with the other being the upscale Bloomingdale’s. As of January 2014, it operates 850 department stores locations in the United States, Guam and Puerto Rico, with a prominent Herald Square flagship location in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. It also has eSpot ZoomShops kiosks in over 300 store locations selling consumer electronics.

Macy’s is known for its niche in popular culture and the diversity of its merchandise. It competes with Belk, Bon-Ton, and Dillard’s; more upscale facilities compete with Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Lord & Taylor, and Saks Fifth Avenue. Macy’s has conducted the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City since 1924, and sponsored the city’s annual Fourth of July fireworks display since 1976. Macy’s flagship store on Herald Square is advertised as the largest in the world, and draws shoppers from well beyond the New York City Metropolitan Area. The venue is in close proximity to other Manhattan landmarks, including the Empire State Building, Koreatown, Pennsylvania Station, and Madison Square Garden.

Macy's in New York © Martin Dürrschnabel/cc-by-sa-2.5 Macy's in New York © Mike Strand/cc-by-3.0 © Macy's, Inc. Macy's plaque at Herald Square, New York © Wikijazz/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Macy's plaque at Herald Square, New York © Wikijazz/cc-by-sa-3.0
Macy’s was founded by Rowland Hussey Macy, who between 1843 and 1855 opened four retail dry goods stores, including the original Macy’s store in downtown Haverhill, Massachusetts, established in 1851 to serve the mill industry employees of the area. They all failed, but he learned from his mistakes. Macy moved to New York City in 1858 and established a new store named “R. H. Macy & Co.” on Sixth Avenue between 13th and 14th Streets, which was far north of where other dry goods stores were at the time. On the company’s first day of business on October 28, 1858 sales totaled US$11.08, equal to $301.47 today. From the very beginning, Macy’s logo has included a star in one form or another, which comes from a tattoo that Macy got as a teenager when he worked on a Nantucket whaling ship, the Emily Morgan.

As the business grew, Macy’s expanded into neighboring buildings, opening more and more departments, and used publicity devices such as a store Santa Claus, themed exhibits, and illuminated window displays to draw in customers. It also offered a money back guarantee, although it accepted only cash into the 1950s. The store also produced its own made-to-measure clothing for both men and women, assembled in an on-site factory. The store later moved to 18th Street and Broadway, on the “Ladies’ Mile“, the elite shopping district of the time, where it remained for nearly forty years.

Read more on Macy’s and Wikipedia Macy’s (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The Titisee in the Black Forest

The Titisee in the Black Forest

[caption id="attachment_150951" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ignaz Wiradi/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Titisee is a lake in the southern Black Forest in Baden-Württemberg. It is said it got its name from Roman Emperor Titus. It covers an area of 1.07 km² and has an average depth of 20 m. It owes its creation to the Feldberg glacier, the moraine ploughed up by which in the Pleistocene epoch nowadays forms the lake's shores. The lake's outflow, at 840 m above sea level, is the river Gutach (or as it is c...

[ read more ]

La Réunion in the Indian Ocean

La Réunion in the Indian Ocean

[caption id="attachment_160973" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Saint-Denis © B.navez/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Réunion (previously Île Bourbon and Île Bonaparte) is a French island with a population of 84,000 inhabitants. The island is located in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar, about 200 kilometres (120 mi) southwest of Mauritius, the nearest island. Réunion, Mauritius and Rodrigues form the Mascarene Islands. The collective title is derived from the Portuguese navigator Pedro Mascarenhas, who first vis...

[ read more ]

Meaux in the Brie region

Meaux in the Brie region

[caption id="attachment_160979" align="aligncenter" width="590"] River boats in the foreground and St. Stephen's Cathedral in the background © Toine77/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Meaux is a commune in the Seine-et-Marne department in the Île-de-France region in the metropolitan area of Paris. It is located 41.1 km (25.5 mi) east-northeast from the center of Paris. With a population of 51,400 inhabitants, Meaux is the second most populated city in the Seine-et-Marne department after Chelles with 53,000 inhabitants. ...

[ read more ]

Krka National Park in Croatia

Krka National Park in Croatia

[caption id="attachment_185627" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © John Maxwell[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Krka National Park is one of the Croatian national parks, named after the river Krka that it encloses. It is located along the middle-lower course of the Krka River in central Dalmatia, in Šibenik-Knin county, downstream Miljevci area, and just a few kilometers northeast of the city of Šibenik. It was formed to protect the Krka River and is intended primarily for scientific, cultural, educational, recreational, and touris...

[ read more ]

Montmartre in Paris

Montmartre in Paris

[caption id="attachment_27339" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Montmartre, dominated by the Basilica of the Sacré Cœur © Christophe Meneboeuf - www.pixinn.net/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Montmartre is a large hill (French butte Montmartre) in Paris's 18th arrondissement. It is 130 metres high and gives its name to the surrounding district, part of the Right Bank in the northern section of the city. The historic district established by the City of Paris in 1995 is bordered by rue Caulaincourt and rue Custine on the...

[ read more ]

The European Federation of Napoleonic Cities

The European Federation of Napoleonic Cities

[caption id="attachment_4471" align="alignleft" width="242" caption="© napoleoncities.eu"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]"This heritage deserves to be better known, highlighted, shared and visited". Those observations led us to create a Federation for European cities of Napoleonic history. If we look into the great man's deeds, the French Revolution, the French Age of Enlightenment, the ideals of 'Liberty, Equality, Fraternity' are values which bind us together. Rehabilitating historical sites, encouraging historical research, prom...

[ read more ]

The three-masted barque Alexander von Humboldt

The three-masted barque Alexander von Humboldt

[caption id="attachment_150739" align="aligncenter" width="590"] All sails set © Winfried Huber[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Alexander von Humboldt is a German ship originally built in 1906 by the German shipyard AG Weser at Bremen as Reserve Sonderburg. She was operated throughout the North and Baltic Seas until being retired in 1986. Subsequently she was converted into a three masted barque by the German shipyard Motorwerke Bremerhaven and was re-launched in 1988 as Alexander von Humboldt. Planned and ordered in 1906 as ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Tunisia - Galite Islands

Theme Week Tunisia - Galite Islands

[caption id="attachment_168279" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Hassene nostra/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Galite Islands are a rocky group of islands of volcanic origin that belong to Bizerte Governorate, northern Tunisia. They are located 38 kilometres (24 miles) northwest of Cape Serrat, the closest point of the Tunisian mainland coast, from which they are separated by the Galite Channel, and almost 80 km (50 mi) north-by-northeast of the city of Tabarka, and 150 km (93 mi) south of Cape Spartivento in the ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
View from castle © Therese-Liise Aasma/cc-by-sa-3.0
Haapsalu on the west coast of Estonia

Haapsalu is a seaside resort town located on the west coast of Estonia. As the administrative centre of Lääne County...

July 2013 © Will Fox/cc-by-sa-3.0
The St George Wharf Tower in London

St George Wharf Tower, also known as the Vauxhall Tower or The Tower, is a residential skyscraper in Vauxhall, in...

© Żeglarz
The four-masted barque Sedov

The STS Sedov, formerly the Magdalene Vinnen II (1921–1936) and the Kommodore Johnsen (–1948), is a 4-masted steel barque that...

Schließen