Cordouan Lighthouse

Monday, 12 December 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

Lighthouse of Cordouan © Yann Gwilhoù/cc-by-sa-3.0

Lighthouse of Cordouan © Yann Gwilhoù/cc-by-sa-3.0

Cordouan lighthouse is an active lighthouse located 7 km at sea, near the mouth of the Gironde estuary in France. At a height of 223 feet (68 m) it is the tenth tallest “traditional lighthouse” in the world. The Tour de Cordouan, the ‘Patriarch of Lighthouses’, is by far the oldest lighthouse in France. It was designed by leading Paris architect Louis de Foix, and is something of a Renaissance masterpiece, an amalgam of royal palace, cathedral and fort. Started in 1584 and finished in 1611, it still stands today. Small beacon towers had existed on the islet since 880, but the first proper structure was implemented by Edward, the Black Prince, as Guienne was then an English province. It was 48 feet (15 m) high, with a platform on top where a wood fire could be kept burning, and manned by a religious hermit. Passing ships paid two groats to pass – the first known instance of lighthouse dues. In addition to the tower, a small chapel was built on the islet. By the second half of the 16th century the tower had fallen into disrepair and the hazard to navigation threatened the Bordeaux wine trade. This led to the construction of the current Tour de Cordouan.

De Foix first built a round base 135 feet (41 m) in diameter and 8 feet (2.4 m) high to take the onslaught of the waves. Within it was a cavity 20 feet (6.1 m) square for storing water and other supplies. Above it were constructed four storeys of diminishing size. The ground floor consisted of a circular tower 50 feet (15 m) in diameter, with apartments for four keepers around its inner wall. In the centre was richly decorated entrance hall 22 feet (6.7 m) square and 20 feet (6.1 m) high. The second storey was the King’s Apartment, consisting of a drawing room, anteroom and a number of closets. The third storey was a chapel with a domed roof notable for the beauty of its mosaic. Above this was secondary lantern, and above that the Lantern itself. This was 162 feet (49 m) above the sea and visible 5–6 miles away, the original light being provided by burning oak chips in a metal container. Throughout the building, de Foix took as much trouble with the decor as with the durability of the building, and on every floor was a profusion of gilt, carved work, elegantly arched doorways and statuary.

© Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 Lighthouse of Cordouan © Yann Gwilhoù/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Lighthouse of Cordouan © Yann Gwilhoù/cc-by-sa-3.0
The first parabolic lamps were added in 1782, but the lighthouse was in very poor condition. Sailors also criticized the lack of height of the light. Major renovations were needed. They were carried out from 1782 to 1789 by the engineer Joseph Teulère who suggested enhancing the 30-meter tower, retaining the ground floor and two floors, in the Louis XVI style, the simplicity of which contrasted with the wealth of the lower floors, which retained their Renaissance decoration. In 1790, after the lighthouse was raised 60 meters above the highest tides, Teulère devised the first turning lighting dish. It consisted of Argand lamps turned by a machine built by a watchmaker in Dieppe. The fuel was a mixture of whale, olive and rapeseed oil.

The first Fresnel lens rotating system, the invention of Augustin-Jean Fresnel, was installed in Cordouan in 1823. Three concentric lamp wicks, supplied with rapeseed oil by means of a suction and force pump, were placed in the focal plane of the apparatus. It was restored in 1855 and made a historical monument in 1862, at the same time as Notre-Dame de Paris. The Fresnel lens was replaced by the present lens in 1854. The light was converted to petroleum gas in 1907 and to electricity in 1948, when a 6,000W lamp was used. It was fully automated in 2006, although lighthousekeepers are still employed, partly to show visitors around. The lamp was replaced by a 450W xenon lamp in 1984 but this was not successful and a halogen lamp was installed three years later.

Read more on bordeaux-tourism.co.uk – Cordouan Lighthouse, france-voyage.com – Cordouan Lighthouse and Wikipedia Cordouan Lighthouse (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Bucharest, Paris of the East

Bucharest, Paris of the East

[caption id="attachment_154255" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Museum of the Arts © Laurap[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bucharest is the capital city, cultural, industrial, and financial centre of Romania. It is the largest city in Romania, located in the southeast of the country and is located on the banks of the Dâmbovița River. Bucharest has 2.5 million citizen and is the 6th largest city in the European Union. Economically, Bucharest is the most prosperous city in Romania and one of the main industrial centres and transpor...

[ read more ]

The Munich Residenz

The Munich Residenz

[caption id="attachment_6587" align="alignleft" width="590"] Munich Residenz © Gryffindor[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Munich Residenz is the former royal palace of the Bavarian monarchs in the center of the city of Munich. The Residenz is the largest city palace in Germany and is today open to visitors for its architecture and room decorations, and displays from the former royal collections. The complex of buildings contains ten courtyards and the museum displays 130 rooms. The three main parts are the Königsbau (nea...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Jordan - Irbid

Theme Week Jordan - Irbid

[caption id="attachment_165916" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Jordan University of Science and Technology's Library, the largest library in the Middle East© Fawwaz Dawod/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Irbid, known in ancient times as Arabella or Arbela, is the capital and largest city of the Irbid Governorate. It also has the second largest metropolitan population in Jordan after Amman, with a population of around 1,088,100, and is located about 70 km north of Amman on the northern ridge of the Gilead, equidistant fr...

[ read more ]

Saint Michael's Mount in France

Saint Michael's Mount in France

[caption id="attachment_150164" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Benh LIEU SONG[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mont Saint-Michel (English: Saint Michael's Mount) is a rocky tidal island and a commune in Normandy, France. It is located approximately one kilometre (just over half a mile) off the country's north coast, at the mouth of the Couesnon River near Avranches. The population of the island is 41. The wealth and influence of the abbey extended to many daughter foundations, including St Michael's Mount in Cornwall. Howe...

[ read more ]

University of Cambridge

University of Cambridge

[caption id="attachment_186215" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Clare College and King's Chapel on River Cam © Christian Richardt/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The University of Cambridge is a collegiate public research university in Cambridge, England. Founded in 1209 and granted a Royal Charter by King Henry III in 1231, Cambridge is the second-oldest university in the English-speaking world and the world's fourth-oldest surviving university. The university grew out of an association of scholars who left the Univers...

[ read more ]

Malcesine on Lake Garda

Malcesine on Lake Garda

[caption id="attachment_160721" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Malcesine and the castle on Lake Garda © Ciccius 88[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Malcesine is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Verona in the Italian region Veneto, located about 120 km northwest of Venice and about 40 km northwest of Verona. Malcesine lies on the shores of Lake Garda. Its most prominent landmark is the Castello Scaligero, which has 13th-century fortifications and an older medieval tower. Remnants of an Etruscan tomb have been found ...

[ read more ]

Portrait: The Fugger

Portrait: The Fugger

[caption id="attachment_161937" align="aligncenter" width="418"] Jakob Fugger (1459–1525) by Albrecht Dürer[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Fugger family is a German family that was a historically prominent group of European bankers, members of the fifteenth and sixteenth-century mercantile patriciate of Augsburg, international mercantile bankers, and venture capitalists. Alongside the Welser family, the family controlled much of the European economy in the sixteenth century and accumulated enormous wealth. This banking family ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Umbria - Todi

Theme Week Umbria - Todi

[caption id="attachment_153577" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Hans Peter Schaefer[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Todi is a town and comune (municipality) of the province of Perugia in central Italy. It is perched on a tall two-crested hill overlooking the east bank of the river Tiber, with distant views in every direction. Todi is a member city of the Cittaslow movement. In the 1990s, Richard S. Levine, a professor of architecture at the University of Kentucky, chose Todi as the model sustainable city, because of its sc...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Lighthouse and Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro at the entrance to Havana Harbor © Mariordo/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Havana – Havana Harbor

Havana Harbor is the port of Havana, the capital of Cuba, and it is the main port in Cuba (not...

Montage of Goygol © Huseyn200021/cc-by-sa-4.0
Goygol in Azerbaijan

Goygol (also, Xanlar, Chanlar, Helenendorf, and Kol-Yelendorf) is a city and municipality and the capital of the Goygol Rayon in...

Tomb of Saint Nicholas © Sjoehest/cc-by-sa-3.0
Myra in Lycia

Myra was an ancient Greek town in Lycia where the small town of Kale (Demre) is situated today, in present-day...

Schließen