Barcelona Royal Shipyard

Saturday, 29 April 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Museums, Exhibitions
Reading Time:  6 minutes

© Lluis Ferrer

© Lluis Ferrer

The Barcelona Royal Shipyard (Catalan: Drassanes Reials de Barcelona, Spanish: Atarazanas Reales de Barcelona) is a shipyard and former military building of Gothic architecture placed at the Port Vell area of the Port of Barcelona. Nowadays it houses the Barcelona Maritime Museum. Construction started during the 13th century under the rule of Peter III of Aragon. During excavations in 2012 it was discovered that in the late 16th century a new building was constructed on top of the old medieval dockyard, giving the building its current structure. This excavations also uncovered a Roman graveyard. The shipyard’s restoration was finished in early 2013. The museum was reopened in 2014. The construction of the dockyards was done in several stages, spanning over four centuries:

  • 13th century: There is reference to an old shipyard in a document dated 1241, when James I of Aragon ordered that no house or structure should be built on the coastline between the city walls and “the ataszana, which is to the west”.
  • 13th century: This period of construction started with the War of the Sicilian Vespers. In 1285, Peter III of Aragon ordered the construction of the shipyard, a rectangular fortification with no roof consisting of fortified walls and four towers, of which two still exist. The shipyard opened to the east.
  • 14th century: This expansion comprises the period from 1328 to 1390. The city walls were expanded and included the shipyard inside the fortified city. A roof was added to prevent the degradation of the galleys stored during winter.
  • 15th century: Construction started in 1390 and lasted until 1415. A new area, Porxo No, was added to the building. This part of the shipyard is also known as Pere IV The area was meant to be a royal palace, but the idea was finally discarded. Excavation shows that only the foundations for the palace were built.
  • 16th century: The medieval building was replaced by a new dockyard a few meters inland. The new shipyards continue to use Gothic architecture, since it had proven to be the most practical and reliable at the time, This decision, however, managed to confuse historians trying to date the building. The construction of the new dockyards and the move inland was caused by the construction of the city’s port during the 15th century. The new port had changed the currents and moved the shore inland, causing severe flooding in the old medieval building.
  • 17th century: In 1612, the Catalan government decided to add three naves to the building. Following the Catalan Revolt (1640–1652) the Spanish government further amplified the shipyard both as an arsenal and a barracks.
  • 18th century: In 1725, Two more barracks were constructed, one for cavalry and one for infantry. These barracks were torn down in 1935. The last major update came between 1742 and 1749, when the roofs of the two central naves were converted into a single nave, known as Nau Central.

© flickr.com - Jorge Lascar/cc-by-2.0 © Lluis Ferrer © Pere López/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Enric/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Enric/cc-by-sa-4.0 © flickr.com - Janos Korom Dr./cc-by-sa-2.0
<
>
© flickr.com - Janos Korom Dr./cc-by-sa-2.0
From the beginning, the aim of the shipyard was to build the galleys for the Aragonese Armada. The shipyard was also a naval arsenal, which was used to store galleys and all the rigging and apparatus needed. The arsenal also produced a great deal of material, both sails and cordages for the ships and arms for the men. Naval arsenals of the time, normally, had to produce and store food also.

After the 1381 renovation, the building had eight naves, 8.4 m high and 8.4 m wide. The naves were, approximately, 60 m long, consisting of 17 columns 77 cm wide and 6 m high. Thanks to a written record of the time we know that four new storage areas were built. Ashlar from the nearby mountain of Montjuïc was used for the construction, with sand from the beach in front of the shipyard, wood from the Baix Ebre and Gavarres, and ropes and tiles from Valencia. During the rule of Alfonso V of Aragon, the shipyard experienced its highest activity. In 1423, twelve galleys were built simultaneously. In 1571, the royal galley of John of Austria, commonly known as the Real, was built at the shipyard. This galley was the flagship at the Battle of Lepanto. There is a reproduction of this galley at the Barcelona Maritime Museum.

During the 18th century, the shipbuilding was moved to the Cartagena shipyard, and after the War of Spanish Succession the site was used as an artillery barrack for the Spanish Army. The building was used to build, store, and repair artillery pieces. In 1935, the building was given to the Barcelona city hall who decide to use it as a maritime museum, which opened in 1941. On 5 May 1976, the building was declared a Cultural Site of National Interest.

Read more on Museu Marítim de Barcelona and Wikipedia Barcelona Royal Shipyard (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Fürstenfeldbruck in Bavaria

Fürstenfeldbruck in Bavaria

[caption id="attachment_160685" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view of Cloister Fürstenfeld © Bernd Hagmeier[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fürstenfeldbruck is a town in Bavaria, Germany. It is the capital of the district of Fürstenfeldbruck. It has a population of 34.000. Since the 1930s, Fürstenfeldbruck has had an air force base. Fürstenfeldbruck covers an area of 32.53 km². It is located halfway between Munich and Augsburg, and along the Amper river. The name of Fürstenfeldbruck is composed of two parts, ...

[ read more ]

Onion soup

Onion soup

[caption id="attachment_240397" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Ralph Daily/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Onion soup is a type of vegetable soup with sliced onions as the main ingredient. It is prepared in different variations in many countries, the most famous of which is the French onion soup or Parisian onion soup. Because of the affordable ingredients, it has primarily been a dish for the poor for a long time. Common for all variations of onion soup is the use of thinly sliced or chopped onions soaked ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Turkey - Basilica Cistern in Istanbul

Theme Week Turkey - Basilica Cistern in Istanbul

[caption id="attachment_161946" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Basilica Cistern © Taco325i/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Basilica Cistern (Turkish: Yerebatan Sarayı – "Sunken Palace") is the largest of several hundred ancient cisterns that lie beneath the city of Istanbul (formerly Constantinople). The cistern, located 500 feet (150 m) southwest of the Hagia Sophia on the historical peninsula of Sarayburnu, was built in the 6th century during the reign of Byzantine Emperor Justinian I. The name of this...

[ read more ]

The Taj Mahal

The Taj Mahal

[caption id="attachment_24179" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Koshy Koshy/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Taj Mahal ("crown of palaces", also "the Taj") is a white marble mausoleum located in Agra, Indian State of Uttar Pradesh. It was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal. The Taj Mahal is widely recognized as "the jewel of Muslim art in India and one of the universally admired masterpieces of the world's heritage". Taj Mahal is regarded by many as the fin...

[ read more ]

King George Street in Tel Aviv

King George Street in Tel Aviv

[caption id="attachment_235053" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sculpture © dr. avishai teicher/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]King George Street is a street in Tel Aviv named for King George V of the United Kingdom who reigned during the British Mandate of Palestine. The street extends from Masaryk Square in the north to Magen David Square in the south, where it meets with Allenby Street, the Carmel Market, and Nahalat Binyamin Street. At the beginning of the 1920s, the street was called "Carmel Street." In 19...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Guyana - New Amsterdam

Theme Week Guyana - New Amsterdam

[caption id="attachment_184635" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Berbice River © flickr.com - madmack66/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]New Amsterdam (Dutch: Nieuw Amsterdam) is one of the largest towns in Guyana, located in the East Berbice-Corentyne Region, 62 mi (100 km) from the capital, Georgetown. It is located on the eastern bank of the Berbice River, 4 mi (6.4 km) upriver from its mouth at the Atlantic Ocean, and immediately south of the Canje River. New Amsterdam's population is approximately 33,000. New Am...

[ read more ]

Port Royal on Jamaica

Port Royal on Jamaica

[caption id="attachment_151474" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Port Royal Cays © NASA World Wind[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Port Royal is a city located at the end of the Palisadoes at the mouth of the Kingston Harbour, in southeastern Jamaica. Founded in 1518, it was the centre of shipping commerce in the Caribbean Sea during the latter half of the 17th century. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1692 and a subsequent tsunami, and fires. Severe hurricanes have regularly damaged it. Another severe earthquake occurred in 1907...

[ read more ]

The Isle of Bute in the Firth of Clyde

The Isle of Bute in the Firth of Clyde

[caption id="attachment_184711" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Arran mountains over Rothesay © flickr.com - SeaDave/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Isle of Bute is an island in the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. It is divided into highland and lowland areas by the Highland Boundary Fault. Formerly a constituent island of the larger County of Bute, it is now part of the council area of Argyll and Bute. Bute's resident population is at 6,500. Farming and tourism are the main industries on the island, along with fishing and...

[ read more ]

Charleston in South Carolina

Charleston in South Carolina

[caption id="attachment_26578" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old Slave Mart Museum © Benjamin Dahlhoff/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Charleston is the oldest and second-largest city in the State of South Carolina, the county seat of Charleston County, and the principal city in the Charleston–North Charleston–Summerville Metropolitan Statistical Area. The city lies just south of the geographical midpoint of South Carolina's coastline and is located on Charleston Harbor, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean formed by the c...

[ read more ]

The European Library

The European Library

[caption id="attachment_201415" align="aligncenter" width="399"] © The European Library[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The European Library is an Internet service that allows access to the resources of 49 European national libraries and an increasing number of research libraries. Searching is free and delivers metadata records as well as digital objects, mostly free of charge. The objects come from institutions located in countries which are members of the Council of Europe and range from catalogue records to full-text books, magazi...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Hamilton centre from Hillcrest © Nzwj/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week New Zealand – Hamilton

Hamilton (Māori: Kirikiriroa) is an inland city in the North Island of New Zealand. Located on the banks of the...

© Zairon/cc-by-sa-4.0
Place de la République in Strasbourg

Place de la République ("Republic Square"; former German: Kaiserplatz, "Imperial Square") is one of the main squares of the city...

Dunedin Railway Station © Antilived/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week New Zealand – Dunedin

Dunedin (Māori: Ōtepoti) is the second-largest city in the South Island of New Zealand (after Christchurch), and the principal city...

Schließen