Banz Abbey in Bavaria

Sunday, 10 December 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  3 minutes

© Reinhold Möller/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Reinhold Möller/cc-by-sa-4.0

Banz Abbey (German: Kloster Banz), now known as Banz Castle (German: Schloss Banz), is a former Benedictine monastery, since 1978 a part of the town of Bad Staffelstein north of Bamberg, Bavaria, southern Germany.

The abbey was founded in about 1070 by Countess Alberada of Schweinfurt and her husband, Count Hermann of Habsburg-Kastl, and until the secularisation of 1803 was the oldest monastery on the upper Main. In the late Middle Ages and until 1575 only members of the nobility were accepted as monks. After the Thirty Years’ War the abbey had to be rebuilt. The abbots Eucharius Weiner and Kilian Düring commissioned Johann Leonhard Dientzenhofer and after his death in 1707, his brother Johann Dientzenhofer. Construction began in 1698. The church, built in Baroque style, was consecrated in 1719. The interior is built, not with right angles, but with a series of ellipses. The main altar, the chancel and the statues of saints in the church and on the façade are by Balthasar Esterbauer; the ceiling frescoes are by Melchior Steidl. The choir stalls were made by the court cabinet maker and ebonist of Schönborn, Johann Georg Nesstfell. In the second half of the 18th century Banz Abbey was known throughout the Holy Roman Empire as a place of Catholic enlightenment and for the scholarship of its monks. This did not save it from secularisation and dissolution in 1803.

© Bernhard Hanakam/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Reinhold Möller/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Reinhold Möller/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Presse03/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Simon Koopmann/cc-by-2.0 © Zairon/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
© Bernhard Hanakam/cc-by-sa-3.0
In 1813 Duke Wilhelm in Bavaria acquired the former abbey premises, which were thereafter known as Schloss Banz (“Banz Castle”).

In 1933 Duke Ludwig Wilhelm in Bavaria sold the buildings to the Community of the Holy Angels (“Gemeinschaft von den heiligen Engeln“), an order dedicated to the spiritual care of expatriate Germans. Since 1978 the former monastery has been in the possession of the Hanns Seidel Foundation, an organisation closely associated with the political party CSU, and is used as a conference centre. It also accommodates a collection of fossils and other curiosities, such as Egyptian mummies.

The estate of the former monastery, including vast forests, is today owned by Duke Max Emanuel‘s eldest daughter Sophie, Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein.

Read more on Wikipedia Banz Abbey (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The Astor

The Astor

[caption id="attachment_152642" align="aligncenter" width="590"] MS Astor in Kiel © VollwertBIT/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]MS Astor is a cruise ship owned by the Germany-based Premicon, under charter to the Germany-based Transocean Tours. She was built in 1987 under the name Astor by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (HDW), Kiel, for the Mauritius-based Marlan Corporation, although originally ordered by the South African Safmarine as a combined ocean liner/cruise ship for the Southampton-Cape Town service. In 198...

[ read more ]

The Sylter Royal Oyster

The Sylter Royal Oyster

[caption id="attachment_154475" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sylter Royal © Magnus Manske/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Sylt Royal Oyster is a breed that is reared in aquaculture in the Blidselbucht in the Lister Wadden Sea within three years. The Sylter Royal is the only oyster, which is produced in Germany. The young Pacific rock oysters are packed in wide-meshed bags and then placed in the Wadden Sea on steel tables, where the oysters grow for three years. In winter ice conditions in the Wadden Sea o...

[ read more ]

Mardin in Turkey

Mardin in Turkey

[caption id="attachment_233358" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © panoramio.com - Ben Bender/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mardin is a city and seat of the Artuklu District of Mardin Province in Turkey. It is known for the Artuqid architecture of its old city, and for its strategic location on a rocky hill near the Tigris River. The old town of the city is under the protection of UNESCO, which forbids new constructions to preserve its façade. The city had a population of 129,864 in 2021. The city is located n...

[ read more ]

Braga in northwestern Portugal

Braga in northwestern Portugal

[caption id="attachment_151341" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town hall © Joseolgon/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Braga is a city and a municipality in the district of Braga, in the historical and cultural Minho Province. The municipality, which includes 37 civil parishes had a resident population of 182,000 inhabitants, representing the seventh largest municipality in Portugal (by population). Its area is 183.40 km². Its agglomerated urban area extends from the Cávado River to the Este River. The city was the Eur...

[ read more ]

The E-Ship 1

The E-Ship 1

[caption id="attachment_229326" align="aligncenter" width="590"] in Cardamena Harbour © Lech Dobrosielski[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The E-Ship 1 is a RoRo cargo ship that made its first voyage with cargo in August 2010. The ship is owned by the third-largest wind turbine manufacturer, Germany's Enercon GmbH. It is used to transport wind turbine components. The E-Ship 1 is a Flettner ship: four large rotorsails that rise from its deck are rotated via a mechanical linkage to the ship's propellers. The sails, or Flettner rotors, a...

[ read more ]

Sarreguemines in Lorraine

Sarreguemines in Lorraine

[caption id="attachment_153809" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Casino de la Faïencerie © Office de Tourisme Sarreguemines/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sarreguemines is a commune in the Moselle department in Lorraine in north-eastern France. It is the seat of the arrondissement of Sarreguemines. Sarreguemines, whose name is a French spelling of the name in local Lorraine-German dialect "Saargemin", meaning "confluence into the Saar", is located at the confluence of the Blies and the Saar, 40 miles (64 km) ea...

[ read more ]

Tiberias in Israel

Tiberias in Israel

[caption id="attachment_214268" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Pacman[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tiberias is an Israeli city on the western shore of the Sea of Galilee. Established around 20 CE, it was named in honour of the second emperor of the Roman Empire, Tiberius. In 2019 it had a population of 45,000. The city of Tiberias has been almost entirely Jewish since 1948. Many Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews settled in the city, following the Jewish exodus from Arab countries in late 1940s and the early 1950s. Over time, ...

[ read more ]

Cappella Palatina in Palermo

Cappella Palatina in Palermo

[caption id="attachment_235943" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Holger Uwe Schmitt/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Palatine Chapel (Italian: Cappella Palatina) is the royal chapel of the Norman Palace in Palermo, Sicily. This building is a mixture of Byzantine, Norman and Fatimid architectural styles, showing the tricultural state of Sicily during the 12th century after Roger I and Robert Guiscard conquered the island. The Cappella Palatina is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral...

[ read more ]

Williamsburg in Brooklyn

Williamsburg in Brooklyn

[caption id="attachment_165471" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bedford Avenue © flickr.com - LWYang/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Williamsburg is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, bordering Greenpoint to the north; Bedford–Stuyvesant to the south; Bushwick, East Williamsburg, and Ridgewood, Queens to the east; and Fort Greene and the East River to the west. Since the late 1990s, Williamsburg has undergone gentrification characterized by hipster culture, a contemporary art scene, and vibrant nigh...

[ read more ]

432 Park Avenue in New York City

432 Park Avenue in New York City

[caption id="attachment_27281" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tallest buildings in New York City © Ali Zifan modified by DigbyDalton[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]432 Park Avenue is a supertall residential project with 104 condominium apartments developed by CIM Group in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. Originally proposed to be 1,300 feet (396 m) in 2011, construction began in 2012 and is scheduled to be completed in 2015. The building required the demolition of the 495-room Drake Hotel, which had been built in 1926. In 2006, t...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Kroppe/cc-by-sa-3.0
Treppenviertel, Hamburg’s Riviera

The Treppenviertel ("Stairs Quarter") is a neighborhood within the Hamburg district of Blankenese, located about 10 kilometers west of the...

Altstadt Salzburg © Thomas Pintaric/cc-by-sa-3.0
Historic Centre of the City of Salzburg

The Historic Center of the City of Salzburg, also known as the Altstadt, is a district of Salzburg, Austria, recognized...

Church of St. Aegidius © panoramio.com - Mister No/cc-by-3.0
Bardejov in Slovakia

Bardejov (Hungarian: Bártfa, German: Bartfeld, Rusyn: Бардеёв, Ukrainian: Бардіїв, Polish: Bardejów) is a town in North-Eastern Slovakia. It is situated...

Schließen