Kensington Palace Gardens in London

Monday, 27 December 2021 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, London
Reading Time:  6 minutes

Entrance area to Kensington Palace Gardens © Oxfordian Kissuth/cc-by-sa-3.0

Entrance area to Kensington Palace Gardens © Oxfordian Kissuth/cc-by-sa-3.0

Kensington Palace Gardens is an exclusive street in Kensington, west of central London, near Kensington Gardens and Kensington Palace. Entered through gates at either end and guarded by sentry boxes, it was the location of the London Cage, the British government MI19 centre used during the Second World War and the Cold War. Several foreign diplomatic missions are located along it. A tree-lined avenue half a mile long studded with embassies, Kensington Palace Gardens is one of the most expensive residential streets in the world, and has long been known as “Millionaires Row”, due to the huge wealth of its private residents, although in fact the majority of its current occupants are either national embassies or ambassadorial residences. As of late-2018, current market prices for a property in the street average over £35 million. It connects Notting Hill Gate with Kensington High Street. The southern section of Kensington Palace Gardens is called Palace Green.

The road was originally called The Queen’s Road and was renamed Kensington Palace Gardens around 1870 when plane trees were planted in the avenue. It was built from the 1840s onward on part of the grounds of Kensington Palace; the freehold still belongs to the Crown Estate. The palace, which is the residence of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Duke and Duchess of Kent, and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, fronts the southern part of the street on the eastern side. The houses at the northern end are mostly Italianate, while those at the southern end are mostly in the Queen Anne style. For much of the 20th century a large proportion of the houses were occupied by embassies and ambassadors’ residences. Some still are, but others have been renovated by the Crown Estate and sold to private buyers on long leases. One of these was bought in 2004 by the Indian steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal, who in 2008 was listed by Forbes magazine as the fourth richest man in the world. The sale was widely misreported at £70 million, before accurate figures were available from HM Land Registry, where records state that on 30 June 2004, 18–19 Kensington Palace Gardens, along with three mews houses at the rear of the property, sold for £57,145,967.

View North towards the French Embassy © Txllxt TxllxT/cc-by-sa-4.0 Entrance area to Kensington Palace Gardens © Oxfordian Kissuth/cc-by-sa-3.0 Embassy of Japan © Krokodyl/cc-by-sa-3.0 Embassy of Lebanon © Mx. Granger Embassy of Nepal © Krokodyl/cc-by-sa-3.0 Embassy of Romania © Txllxt TxllxT/cc-by-sa-4.0 Embassy of Russia © Krokodyl/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Entrance area to Kensington Palace Gardens © Oxfordian Kissuth/cc-by-sa-3.0
The mansion at 18 Kensington Palace Gardens, historically belonging to the Rothschild family, was sold in 2001. No. 8 was used as an interrogation centre for German POWs during and after the Second World War and was known as the London Cage. The house was demolished in 1961 and replaced by a glass-and-steel block of four apartments designed by Richard Seifert and completed in 1964. Flat 3 was on the market in 2006 as a three-bedroom apartment designed by international architect David Chipperfield, valued at a minimum of £13.25 million through Knight Frank, which sold in March 2007 for £10.29m. Diplomatic buildings on the street are: the Russian Embassy at Nos. 6-7; the Embassy of Nepal at No. 12A; the Embassy of Lebanon at No. 21; and the Embassy of Slovakia at No. 25. In Palace Green are the Embassy of Israel at No. 2 and the Embassy of Romania at No. 4. Egypt, Laos and the Philippines formerly had their embassies here. No. 11 has been the official residence of the French Ambassador since 1944; it was rebuilt after a fire in December 1990. Due to the presence of likely terrorist targets – embassies etc., including those of Russia and Israel – both ends of the street have armed police checkpoints (Diplomatic Protection Group officers) with crash barriers as well as the original wrought-iron gates. Entry of pedestrians is not normally controlled, only vehicles. This has the side effect of leading to extremely low traffic volumes for a central London street. Some of the buildings occasionally set up barriers to keep vehicles at a distance. The street is lit by very dim Victorian gaslight streetlights.

No. 10 was designed by Philip Hardwick for Sutherland Hall Sutherland, and the first tenant was the civil engineer James Meadows Rendel, who probably became resident in early 1852, and died there in 1856. In 1862, Edmund Ernst Leopold Schlesinger Benzon, a German-born steel magnate, moved in and lived there until his death in 1873. In 1896, the financier Leopold Hirsch had “substantial alterations” made, designed by Leonard Stokes, and he was resident until at least 1904. No. 10 was home to the USSR Embassy from 1960 to 1986. Sir Frederick Wills, 1st Baronet (1838–1909), a member of the Wills tobacco family, had a London residence at No. 9, but now it serves as the residence of the Indian High Commissioner. It is the residence of many ambassadors, including those of Saudi Arabia, UAE, and India. Famous residents included Israeli billionaire Noam Gottesman and Indian billionaire Lakshmi Mittal. Princess Haya of Jordan resides in a home in Kensington Palace Gardens.

Read more on hrp.org.uk – Kensington Palace Gardens and Wikipedia Kensington Palace Gardens (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Schloss Wolfsgarten in Langen

Schloss Wolfsgarten in Langen

[caption id="attachment_227003" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Hesse143/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Schloss Wolfsgarten is a former hunting seat of the ruling family of Hesse-Darmstadt, located in the German state of Hessen, approximately 15 kilometers south of Frankfurt am Main. The hunting lodge was established between 1722 and 1724 by Landgrave Ernst Ludwig of Hesse-Darmstadt. Ernst Ludwig's purpose in establishing Wolfsgarten was to pursue his passion for hunting with dogs which he introduced into Hes...

[ read more ]

The Maximilianstrasse in Munich

The Maximilianstrasse in Munich

[caption id="attachment_161260" align="aligncenter" width="563"] Street sign 'Maximilianstraße' © Maximilian Dörrbecker[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The neo-Renaissance Maximilianstraße in Munich is one of the city's four royal avenues. It starts at Max-Joseph-Platz, where the Residenz and the National Theatre are situated, and runs from west to east. Principal was king Maximilian II of Bavaria, who started the project in 1850, the avenue is named for his honour. Leading architect was Friedrich Bürklein. With this proj...

[ read more ]

Marne-la-Vallée and Disneyland Resort Paris

Marne-la-Vallée and Disneyland Resort Paris

[caption id="attachment_159774" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lagny-sur-Marne - Town Hall © Benjism89[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Marne-la-Vallée is a new town located near Paris, France. Marne-la-Vallée has been gradually built up since the first plans in 1965 and now covers an area of over 15,000 hectares and includes 26 communes, in the départements of Seine-et-Marne, Seine-Saint-Denis and Val-de-Marne. Total population (2007) is 282,150. For administrative purposes, the area has been divided into four sectors: N...

[ read more ]

Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire

Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire

[caption id="attachment_154240" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © gailf548[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Blenheim Palace is a monumental country house situated in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England, residence of the dukes of Marlborough. It is the only non-royal non-episcopal country house in England to hold the title of palace. The palace, one of England's largest houses, was built between 1705 and circa 1724. UNESCO recognised the palace as a World Heritage Site in 1987. Its construction was originally intended to be a gift to John...

[ read more ]

Catholic University of Leuven

Catholic University of Leuven

[caption id="attachment_242056" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Central Library © Michielverbeek/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]KU Leuven(or Katholieke Universiteit Leuven) is a Catholic research university in the city of Leuven, Belgium. The town of Leuven was the seat of three different universities. In addition to its main campus in Leuven, it has satellite campuses in Kortrijk, Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges, Ostend, Geel, Diepenbeek, Aalst, Sint-Katelijne-Waver, and in Belgium's capital Brussels. KU Leuven is the ...

[ read more ]

Zadar on the Adriatic Sea

Zadar on the Adriatic Sea

[caption id="attachment_161174" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall in the centre of People's Square © Böhringer Friedrich[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zadar is a city in Croatia on the Adriatic Sea. It is the centre of Zadar county and the wider northern Dalmatian region. Zadar is a historical center of Dalmatia as well as the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Zadar. Zadar gained its urban structure in Roman times; during the time of Julius Caesar and Emperor Augustus, the town was fortified and the city walls wit...

[ read more ]

Pike Place Market in Seattle

Pike Place Market in Seattle

[caption id="attachment_233564" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pike Place Market © Daniel Schwen/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pike Place Market is a public market in Seattle, Washington, United States. It opened on August 17, 1907, and is one of the oldest continuously operated public farmers' markets in the United States. Overlooking the Elliott Bay waterfront on Puget Sound, it serves as a place of business for many small farmers, craftspeople and merchants. It is named for its central street, Pike Place, which ru...

[ read more ]

The sail training ship USCGC Eagle

The sail training ship USCGC Eagle

[caption id="attachment_151661" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © USCG - Brown, Telfair H. PA1[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The USCGC Eagle is a 295-foot (90 m) barque used as a training cutter for future officers of the United States Coast Guard. She is the only active commissioned sailing vessel in American military service. She is the seventh U.S. Navy or Coast Guard ship to bear the name in a line dating back to 1792. Each summer, Eagle conducts cruises with cadets from her homeport at the United States Coast Guard Academy in...

[ read more ]

The French Quarter in New Orleans

The French Quarter in New Orleans

[caption id="attachment_171934" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bourbon Street © flickr.com - Lars Plougmann/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The French Quarter, also known as the Vieux Carré or the Vieux Carre Historic District, is the oldest section of the city of New Orleans. After New Orleans (La Nouvelle-Orléans in French) was founded in 1718 by Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, it developed around the Vieux Carré ("Old Square" in English), a central square. The district is more commonly called the French Quar...

[ read more ]

The Channel Island of Brecqhou

The Channel Island of Brecqhou

[caption id="attachment_153951" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view © Diegourdiales[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Brecqhou is one of the Channel Islands and part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey. It is located just west of Sark and has a surface area of approximately 200 acres (0.81 km2). Sark claims it as a tenement, and the Ministry of Justice, the department of the United Kingdom government with responsibility for the Channel Islands, considers Brecqhou part of Sark - but this is disputed by Brecqhou's current tenants. ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Plaza de San Pedro © Zarateman/cc-by-sa-4.0
Coria in Extremadura

Coria is a Spanish municipality in the province of Cáceres, Extremadura, formed by the city of the same name and...

© Diego Cruciat/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Friuli Venezia Giulia – San Daniele del Friuli

San Daniele del Friuli is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Udine in the Italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, located...

© flickr.com - Jorge Franganillo/cc-by-2.0
Mondello on Sicily

Mondello is a small borough of the city of Palermo in the autonomous region of Sicily in Southern Italy. Its...

Close