Seville Cathedral

Wednesday, 10 February 2021 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, UNESCO World Heritage

© Ingo Mehling/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Ingo Mehling/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Cathedral of Saint Mary of the See (Spanish: Catedral de Santa María de la Sede), better known as Seville Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Seville, Andalusia, Spain. It was registered in 1987 by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, along with the adjoining Alcázar palace complex and the General Archive of the Indies. It is the fourth-largest church in the world (its size remains a matter of debate) as well as the largest Gothic church.

After its completion in the early 16th century, Seville Cathedral supplanted Hagia Sophia as the largest cathedral in the world, a title the Byzantine church had held for nearly a thousand years. The total area occupied by the building is 11,520 square metres (124,000 sq ft). The Gothic section alone has a length of 126 m (413 ft), a width of 76 m (249 ft), and its maximum height in the center of the transept is 42 m (138 ft). The total height of the Giralda tower from the ground to the weather vane is 104.5 m (342 ft 10 in).

Seville Cathedral was the site of the baptism of Infant Juan of Aragon in 1478, only son of the Catholic Monarchs Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile. Its royal chapel holds the remains of the city’s conqueror Ferdinand III of Castile, his son and heir Alfonso the Wise and their descendant king Peter the Just. The funerary monuments for cardinals Juan de Cervantes and Pedro González de Mendoza are located among its chapels. Christopher Columbus and his son Diego are also buried in the cathedral. The Archbishop’s Palace is located on the northeastern side of the cathedral.

Great sacristy ceiling © Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0 La Giralda © Ingo Mehling/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Ingo Mehling/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Thomas Weyrauch/cc-by-sa-3.0 Cathedral roofs and the Garden as seen from the Giralda © flickr.com - Ajay Suresh/cc-by-2.0 Door of Forgiveness © Anual/cc-by-3.0 Door of Palos © Anual/cc-by-3.0 Door of the Prince © Ingo Mehling/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Cathedral roofs and the Garden as seen from the Giralda © flickr.com - Ajay Suresh/cc-by-2.0
The interior has the longest nave of any cathedral in Spain. The central nave rises to a height of 42 m (138 ft). In the main body of the cathedral, the most noticeable features are the great boxlike choir loft, which fills the central portion of the nave, and the vast Gothic retablo of carved scenes from the life of Christ. This altarpiece was the lifetime work of a single craftsman, Pierre Dancart. The builders preserved some elements from the ancient mosque. The mosque’s sahn, that is, the courtyard for ablutions for the faithful to conduct their ritual cleansing before entering the prayer hall is known today as the Patio de los Naranjos. It contains a fountain and orange trees. However, the most well known is its minaret, which was converted into a bell tower known as La Giralda, and is now the city’s most well-known symbol.

The Giralda is the bell tower of the Cathedral of Seville. Its height is 105 m (343 ft) and its square base is 7.0 m (23 ft) above sea level and 13 m (44 ft) long per side. The Giralda is the former minaret of the mosque that stood on the site under Muslim rule, and was built to resemble the minaret of the Koutoubia Mosque in Marrakech, Morocco. It was converted into a bell tower for the cathedral after the Reconquista, although the topmost section dates from the Renaissance. It was registered in 1987 as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The tower is 104.5 m in height and was one of the most important symbols in the medieval city. Construction began in 1184 under the direction of architect Ben Ahmad Baso. According to the chronicler Ibn Sahib al-Salah, the works were completed on 10 March 1198, with the placement of four gilt bronze balls in the top section of the tower. After a strong earthquake in 1365, the spheres were missing. In the 16th century the belfry was added by the architect Hernán Ruiz the Younger; the statue on its top, called “El Giraldillo”, was installed in 1568 to represent the triumph of the Christian faith.

Read more on Seville Cathedral and Wikipedia Seville Cathedral (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Argentina - Ushuaia

Theme Week Argentina - Ushuaia

[caption id="attachment_163477" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ushuaia © Jerzy Strzelecki/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ushuaia is the capital of Tierra del Fuego, Antártida e Islas del Atlántico Sur Province. It is commonly regarded as the southernmost city in the world. Ushuaia is located in a wide bay on the southern coast of Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego, bounded on the north by the Martial mountain range, and on the south by the Beagle Channel. It is the only municipality in the Department of Ushuaia, which ...

[ read more ]

Elvis Presley's Graceland in Memphis

Elvis Presley's Graceland in Memphis

[caption id="attachment_200838" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © PaddyBriggs[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Graceland is a mansion on a 13.8-acre (5.6 ha) estate in Memphis, Tennessee, once owned by the singer and actor Elvis Presley. His daughter, Lisa Marie Presley, has been the owner of Graceland since the passing of her father. It is located at 3764 Elvis Presley Boulevard in the vast Whitehaven community, about 9 miles (14.5 km) from Downtown and less than four miles (6 km) north of the Mississippi border. It was opened to th...

[ read more ]

Siciliy's green diamonds - the pistachios city of Bronte

Siciliy's green diamonds - the pistachios city of Bronte

[caption id="attachment_153926" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © SR/Julia Leiendecker[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bronte is a town and comune of Sicily. Bronte is located slightly northwest of Mount Etna, on the side of the valley of the Simeto river. It is about 30 kilometers west of the coast. In 1799, King Ferdinand III created Bronte as a Duchy, and rewarded admiral Horatio Nelson with the title of Duke for the help he had provided him in bloodily repressing the revolution in Naples and so in recovering his throne. ...

[ read more ]

Freital in Saxony

Freital in Saxony

[caption id="attachment_151385" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Kolossos/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Freital is a town in the district of Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge in Saxony, Germany. The town is situated on a small river, the Weißeritz, and is 8 kilometres southwest of Dresden. Freital is located southwest of Dresden in the Döhlen Basin, through which the Weißeritz flows from south-west to north-east. The Windberg hill, is the town's local mountain and well-known landmark, rising about 100 metres above...

[ read more ]

Toulouse, the Pink City

Toulouse, the Pink City

[caption id="attachment_160192" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Toulouse Capitole © Benh LIEU SONG[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Toulouse is a city in southwest France on the banks of the River Garonne, 590 km (366 mi) away from Paris and half-way between the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. With 1,102,882 inhabitants as of Jan.1 2006, the Toulouse metropolitan area is the fourth-largest in France, after Paris (12 million), Lyon (1.8 million), Marseille (1.7 million). Toulouse is one of the bases of the European aerospace...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Montenegro - Nikšić

Theme Week Montenegro - Nikšić

[caption id="attachment_150270" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Nikšić © Borisniksic/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nikšić is the second largest city of Montenegro, with a total population of 57,000, located in the west of the country, in the centre of the spacious Nikšić field at the foot of Mount Trebjesa. It is the center of Nikšić Municipality (Population of 75,000), which is the largest municipality by area and second most inhabited after Podgorica. It is an important industrial, cultural, and educational ...

[ read more ]

Ithaka off the west coast of Greece

Ithaka off the west coast of Greece

[caption id="attachment_153482" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Vathy © flickr.com - auteur/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ithaca or Ithaka is an island located in the Ionian Sea with an area of 120 square kilometres (46 sq mi) and a little more than three thousand inhabitants. It is also a separate regional unit of the Ionian Islands region, and the only municipality of the regional unit. It lies off the northeast coast of Kefalonia and to the west and within sight of continental Greece. The municipality of It...

[ read more ]

The United States Military Academy at West Point

The United States Military Academy at West Point

[caption id="attachment_4631" align="aligncenter" width="590" caption="West Point - Aerial view © USMA Public Affairs Office"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The United States Military Academy at West Point (also known as USMA, West Point or Army) is a four-year coeducational federal service academy located in West Point, New York. The academy sits on scenic high ground overlooking the Hudson River, 50 miles (80 km) north of New York City. The entire central campus is a national landmark and home to scores of historic sites, buildin...

[ read more ]

Grenoble, capital of the Alpes

Grenoble, capital of the Alpes

[caption id="attachment_160479" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Palace of the Parliament of Dauphiné © Milky[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Grenoble is a city in southeastern France, situated at the foot of the French Alps where the river Drac joins the Isère. Located in the Rhône-Alpes region, Grenoble is the capital of the department of Isère. The proximity of the mountains has led to the city being known as the "Capital of the Alps." Grenoble's history encompasses a period of more than 2,000 years, and the city has been the ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Bangladesh - Dhaka

Theme Week Bangladesh - Dhaka

[caption id="attachment_201048" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Rose Garden Palace © Bazaan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dhaka is the capital and largest city of Bangladesh. It is one of the largest and most densely populated cities in the world, with a population of 18.89 million people in the Greater Dhaka Area. Dhaka is the economic, political and cultural center of Bangladesh. It is one of the major cities of South Asia, the largest city in Eastern South Asia and among the Bay of Bengal countries; and one of the ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Castro architecture © Dimorsitanos/cc-by-sa-3.0
Antiparos in the Cyclades

Antiparos is a small island in the southern Aegean, at the heart of the Cyclades, which is less than one...

Seaside façade of the Salle Garnier © panoramio.com - leineart/cc-by-sa-3.0
Opéra de Monte-Carlo

The Opéra de Monte-Carlo is an opera house which is part of the Monte Carlo Casino located in the Principality...

Three Seas initiative summit 2018 © Administration of the President of the Republic of Bulgaria/cc-by-2.5
Intermarium or Three Seas Initiative

Intermarium (Polish: Międzymorze) was a geopolitical project conceived by politicians in successor states of the former Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in several...

Schließen