Chapel of Notre Dame in West Jerusalem

Friday, 19 June 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Union for the Mediterranean
Reading Time:  2 minutes

Notre Dame of Jerusalem © Mislishka/cc-by-sa-3.0

Notre Dame of Jerusalem © Mislishka/cc-by-sa-3.0

The “Chapel of Our Lady of Jerusalem” (French: “Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Jérusalem”) or “Chapel of Notre Dame”, is a religious building affiliated with the Catholic Church which is located in the “Complex of Notre Dame of Jerusalem” (formerly known as “Notre Dame de France”, or “Our Lady of France”) which was built by French religious between 1893 and 1894 in West Jerusalem, as part of a larger group of buildings known as the “Hospice of Our Lady of France”, which was built mostly in stone with “defensive” purposes.

It was built in a symmetrical, neoclassical style, supplemented by Oriental style battlements on the roof and was completely renovated in the 1970s.

Complex of Notre Dame de France © Djampa/cc-by-sa-4.0 Jerusalem-Notre_Dame_of_Jerusalem-Mislishka-cc-by-sa-3.0 Chapel of Notre Dame de Jerusalem © deror_avi/cc-by-sa-3.0 Chapel of Notre Dame de Jerusalem © deror_avi/cc-by-sa-3.0 Chapel of Notre Dame de Jerusalem © deror_avi/cc-by-sa-3.0 Chapel of Notre Dame de Jerusalem © deror_avi/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Chapel of Notre Dame de Jerusalem © deror_avi/cc-by-sa-3.0
French pilgrims financed the construction of the Complex. A group of 1000 French Catholics had no accommodation when they went on pilgrimage to Jerusalem as part of “Le Grand Caravan de Mille” in 1882. Consequently Marie Paul Amedee De Piellat collected the money to construct the Complex.

In 1948 Israeli military forces occupied the Chapel as a base to launch attacks in the 1947–1949 Palestine war (War of Independence/The Nakba). Since 1967, the Chapel is situated directly at the City Line, which separates East from West Jerusalem and is part of the Green Line, which is the only internationally recognized border between Israel and Palestine.

Read more on Notre Dame Center, itraveljerusalem.com – Notre Dame Guesthouse, Jerusalem Post, 1 January 2019: Jerusalem’s Notre Dame hotel turns 130 and Wikipedia Chapel of Our Lady of Jerusalem (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

El Alamein in Egypt

El Alamein in Egypt

[caption id="attachment_236602" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Haddara/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]El Alamein (lit. the two flags) is a town in the northern Matrouh Governorate of Egypt. Located on the Arab's Gulf, Mediterranean Sea, it lies 106 kilometres (66 mi) west of Alexandria and 300 kilometres (186 mi) northwest of Cairo. As of 2007, it had a population of 7,397 inhabitants. The town is located on the site of the ancient city Antiphrai (Greek: Ἀντίφραι). [gallery size="large" gss="1" ids="2...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Monaco - Larvotto

Theme Week Monaco - Larvotto

[caption id="attachment_164141" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Larvotto Beach © V&A Dudush/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Larvotto is the easternmost Ward in the Principality of Monaco. Larvotto is southeast of Monte Carlo and La Rousse. It borders Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France, to the northeast. Larvotto was part of the former municipality of Monte-Carlo. The district is famous for its sand beach (the only one in the state).[gallery size="medium" gss="1" ids="164138,164139,164140,164...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Marie Curie, physicist and chemist

Portrait: Marie Curie, physicist and chemist

[caption id="attachment_183147" align="aligncenter" width="445"] Marie Curie[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Marie Skłodowska Curie, born Maria Salomea Skłodowska was a Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity. She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, the first person and only woman to win twice, the only person to win a Nobel Prize in two different sciences, and was part of the Curie family legacy of five Nobel Prizes. She was also the first woman to become a profes...

[ read more ]

Independence Square in Kyiv

Independence Square in Kyiv

[caption id="attachment_235147" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Jorge Franganillo/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Maidan Nezalezhnosti (literally "Independence Square") is the central square of Kyiv, the capital city of Ukraine. One of the city's main squares, it is located on Khreshchatyk Street in the Shevchenko Raion. The square has been known under many different names, but often it is called by people simply Maidan ("square"). The square contains the iconic Independence Monument. In the 19th century, th...

[ read more ]

The brig-sloop HMS Beagle

The brig-sloop HMS Beagle

[caption id="attachment_200634" align="aligncenter" width="590"] HMS Beagle Replica in 2017 in Punta Arenas © S p-hunter/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]HMS Beagle was a Cherokee-class 10-gun brig-sloop of the Royal Navy, one of more than 100 ships of this class. The vessel, constructed at a cost of £7,803 (£613,000 in today's currency), was launched on 11 May 1820 from the Woolwich Dockyard on the River Thames. In July of that year she took part in a fleet review celebrating the coronation of King George IV of the Uni...

[ read more ]

The Lake Starnberg

The Lake Starnberg

[caption id="attachment_153424" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Rose Island in Lake Starnberg © Petermann/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lake Starnberg — called Lake Würm until 1962, and also known as Prince's Lake — is Germany's fifth largest freshwater lake in terms of area and, due to its great average depth, the second largest in terms of water volume. The lake and its surroundings are an unincorporated area within the rural district of Starnberg; the lake itself is the property of the state of Bavaria and is ...

[ read more ]

Einbeck - City of brewing and half-timbered architecture

Einbeck - City of brewing and half-timbered architecture

[caption id="attachment_160553" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Market Square with St Jakobi Church © Losch[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Einbeck is a town in the district Northeim, in southern Lower Saxony. It is located on the German Timber-Frame Road. Einbeck is famous for its 600 year old beer brewery, home of Einbecker Bier, the origin for the term Bock beer. It is believed to be one of the oldest breweries in Germany. Einbeck is the birthplace of Henry Mühlenberg, who emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1742 and became the patriar...

[ read more ]

Mâcon in Burgundy

Mâcon in Burgundy

[caption id="attachment_151140" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Luciani71/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mâcon is a small city in east-central France. It is the prefecture of the department of Saône-et-Loire, located in Burgundy. Mâcon is home to over 35,000 residents, who are referred to in French as Mâconnais. The area west and north of Mâcon produces well-known wines from the Chardonnay grape. The best known appellation of the Mâconnais is Pouilly-Fuissé. The city lies on the western bank of the Saône rive...

[ read more ]

Pézenas in the Hérault department

Pézenas in the Hérault department

[caption id="attachment_153168" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Christian Ferrer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pézenas is a commune in the Hérault department in the Languedoc-Roussillon region in southern France. "Pézenas" is derived from the older name Piscenae, probably from the Latin word piscenis, meaning fishpond. According to legend, there was a lake full of fish behind the château. Inhabitants of Pézenas are Piscenois. The origins of Pézenas are unclear, but were influenced by three factors: wat...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Cyclades

Theme Week Cyclades

[caption id="attachment_153479" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mykonos © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Cyclades is a Greek island group in the Aegean Sea, southeast of mainland Greece and a former administrative prefecture of Greece. They are one of the island groups which constitute the Aegean archipelago. The name refers to the islands around the sacred island of Delos. The Cyclades is where the native Greek breed of cat (the Aegean cat) originated. In recent decades the Cyclades islands ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© panoramio.com - Jan Uyttebroeck/cc-by-sa-3.0
Bad Münstereifel – City Outlet

Bad Münstereifel is a historical spa town in the district of Euskirchen with about 17,000 inhabitants, situated in the far...

© Ali Sabbagh
Passage Jouffroy in Paris

The Passage Jouffroy is a covered passages of Paris located in the 9th arrondissement. It runs between the Boulevard Montmartre...

© Schlamniel
Naschmarkt in Vienna

The Naschmarkt is Vienna's most popular market. Located at the Wienzeile over the Wien River, it is about 1.5 kilometres...

Close