Kalorama in Washington, D.C.

Wednesday, 12 February 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

24th Street NW © flickr.com - Tim Evanson/cc-by-sa-3.0

24th Street NW © flickr.com – Tim Evanson/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Kalorama area within the Northwest Quadrant of Washington, D.C. includes the residential neighborhoods of Kalorama Triangle and Sheridan-Kalorama. The area is accessible from the Dupont Circle and Woodley Park Metro stations, as well as various bus lines. Kalorama Triangle is bordered by Connecticut Avenue, Columbia Road, Calvert Street, and Rock Creek Park. Sheridan-Kalorama is adjacent, to the southwest, between Connecticut Avenue, Rock Creek Park, Massachusetts Avenue, and Florida Avenue.

The Kalorama area was primarily rural until the close of the 19th century, lying northwest of the original limits of Washington City from L’Enfant‘s original plan. In 1795, Gustavus Scott, a commissioner for the District of Columbia, purchased the property, which had been a portion of Anthony Holmead’s “Widows Mite” holdings. He constructed a large, classically styled house at 23rd and S Streets, which he named Rock Hill. In 1803 Scott’s wife, Margaret Scott, sold the property to William Augustine Washington. In 1807, the poet, diplomat, and political philosopher Joel Barlow bought the property and renamed it “Kalorama,” Greek for “fine view.”

Connecticut Avenue © AgnosticPreachersKid/cc-by-sa-3.0 George B. McClellan statue © AgnosticPreachersKid/cc-by-sa-3.0 Georgian Revival house © AgnosticPreachersKid/cc-by-sa-3.0 Massachusetts Avenue © AgnosticPreachersKid/cc-by-sa-3.0 Spanish Steps © AgnosticPreachersKid/cc-by-sa-3.0 24th Street NW © flickr.com - Tim Evanson/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
George B. McClellan statue © AgnosticPreachersKid/cc-by-sa-3.0
Barlow lived in the home until shortly before his death in 1812. Barlow commissioned Capitol architect Benjamin Latrobe to enlarge the house and elevate its design. Kalorama (the residence) was destroyed by a fire during the American Civil War while it was used as a Union hospital. The residence was rebuilt and returned to a single-family home until 1887, when it was leveled by the District of Columbia government for the extension of S Street NW.

In the early 1880s, the Kalorama area, largely undeveloped because it lay beyond Boundary Street (now Florida Avenue) and thus outside the city limits, began to be subdivided for urban development. In 1893 Congress ordered L’Enfant’s design of the city of Washington extended outward to include the rest of the District. Existing developments were exempted, which is why Kalorama is one of the few portions of D.C. that do not adhere to the city’s street grid. Two high bridges over the deep gorge of Rock Creek became important to the development of both sides of Kalorama in this period, the Calvert Street bridge (since replaced by the Duke Ellington Bridge), built in 1891, and the Taft Bridge (on Connecticut Avenue), built in 1907.

Read more on Kalorama Citizens Association, LonelyPlanet.com – Dupont Circle & Kalorama attractions and Wikipedia Kalorama (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Egypt - Shadwan Island

Theme Week Egypt - Shadwan Island

[caption id="attachment_166122" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Wusel007/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Shadwan is a barren rocky island 30 miles southwest of the Egyptian city of Sharm el-Sheikh on the Sinai Peninsula and 20 miles northeast of el Gouna. It is the largest of a group of islands in the mouth of the Gulf of Suez in the northern Red Sea and measures 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) in length, and between 3–5 kilometres (1.9–3.1 mi) wide. It was formerly also called Shaker Island and features a lighthouse. The ...

[ read more ]

Cheddar in southwest England

Cheddar in southwest England

[caption id="attachment_153730" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view of Cheddar Gorge © Adrian Pingstone[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cheddar is a large village and civil parish in the Sedgemoor district of the English county of Somerset. It is situated on the southern edge of the Mendip Hills, 9 miles (14 km) north-west of Wells. The civil parish includes the hamlets of Nyland and Bradley Cross. The village, which has its own parish council, has a population of 5,093 and the parish has an acreage of 8,592 acres (3,477.1 h...

[ read more ]

Turin, capital of the Alps

Turin, capital of the Alps

[caption id="attachment_153174" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Turin Collage © DanieleDF1995[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Turin is a city and major business and cultural centre in northern Italy, capital of the Piedmont region, located mainly on the left bank of the Po River surrounded by the Alpine arch. The population of the city proper is 909,193 while the population of the urban area is estimated by Eurostat to be 1.7 million inhabitants; the Turin metropolitan area is estimated by OECD to have a population of 2.2 million. ...

[ read more ]

Morlaix in Brittany

Morlaix in Brittany

[caption id="attachment_161084" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Morlaix with its viaduct in the background © Thesupermat/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Morlaix is a commune in the Finistère department of Brittany in northwestern France with a population of 15,600. It is a sub-prefecture of the department. The old quarter of the town has winding streets of cobbled stones and overhanging houses constructed of stone and timber. Many have religious and secular sculptures on their façades. A tidal river that almost comple...

[ read more ]

Winchester in the south of England

Winchester in the south of England

[caption id="attachment_160857" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cheyney Court © geograph.org.uk - Stephen McKay[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Winchester is a historic cathedral city and former capital city of England. It is the county town of Hampshire, in South East England. The city lies at the heart of the wider City of Winchester, a local government district, and is located at the western end of the South Downs, along the course of the River Itchen. Winchester has a population of 40,000. Winchester developed from the R...

[ read more ]

Almería in Andalusia

Almería in Andalusia

[caption id="attachment_153040" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Gernot Keller - www.gernot-keller.com/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Almería is a city in Andalusia, situated in the southeast of Spain on the Mediterranean Sea. It is the capital of the province of the same name. Almería originated with the need for a better defence system that the Arab towns in the area had. It was Abd-al-Rahman III who founded the Alcazaba (the Citadel), which gave this city its name: Al-Mariy-yat (the Watchtower). One of Al...

[ read more ]

Zermatt and the Matterhorn

Zermatt and the Matterhorn

[caption id="attachment_160604" align="aligncenter" width="586"] Zermatt and Matterhorn © Stan Shebs[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zermatt is a municipality in the district of Visp in the German-speaking section of the canton of Valais in Switzerland. It has a population of about 5,800 inhabitants. The village is situated at the end of Mattertal at an altitude of 1,620 m (5,310 ft), at the feet of Switzerland's highest peaks. It lies about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the over 10,800 ft (3,291.84 m) high Theodul Pass bordering Italy. ...

[ read more ]

The Harmony of the Seas

The Harmony of the Seas

[caption id="attachment_162750" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Harmony of the Seas © flickr.com - FaceMePLS/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]MS Harmony of the Seas is an Oasis-class cruise ship built by STX France at the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire in France for Royal Caribbean International. She is the largest passenger ship in the world, surpassing her older sisters Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. For the inaugural season, Harmony of the Seas will offer seven-night western Mediterranean ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
World Clock © Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0
Alexanderplatz in Berlin

Alexanderplatz is a large public square and transport hub in the central Mitte district of Berlin. The square is named...

Sunset explored at Tippy's Beach © flickr.com - Trish Hartmann/cc-by-2.0
Eleuthera in the Bahamas

Eleuthera refers both to a single island in the archipelagic state of The Commonwealth of the Bahamas and to its...

Al-Karak and Kerak Castle © Berthold Werner/cc-by-3.0
Al-Karak in Jordan

Al-Karak, known in the Kingdom of Jerusalem as Kerak, is a city in Jordan known for its Crusader castle, the...

Schließen