Theme Week East Jerusalem – The Old City of Jerusalem

Wednesday, 12 September 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, UNESCO World Heritage, Union for the Mediterranean

Old City of Jerusalem - Temple Mount © Andrew Shiva/cc-by-sa-4.0

Old City of Jerusalem – Temple Mount © Andrew Shiva/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Old City of Jerusalem is a just about 0.9 square kilometers (0.35 sq mi) wide walled area in East Jerusalem and forms the core of the Middle East/Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Until 1860, when the Jewish neighborhood Mishkenot Sha’ananim was established, this area constituted the entire city of Jerusalem and Israeli right-wing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is unintentionally right in pointing out that Jerusalem is indivisible, as to this day the Palestinian old town remains to be a self-contained and undivided entity. The Old City is home to several sites of key religious importance: The Church of the Holy Sepulchre for Christians, the Temple Mount and Western Wall for Jews, and the Dome of the Rock and al-Aqsa Mosque for Muslims. It was added to the UNESCO List of World Heritage in Danger in 1982. Although the Mount Zion with the Abbey of the Dormition is located outside the city walls, it is occasionally seen as part of the Old City. In 2011, UNESCO issued a statement reiterating its view that East Jerusalem is “part of the occupied Palestinian territory, and that the status of Jerusalem must be resolved in permanent status negotiations.” The border between East and West Jerusalem, the City Line, which has survived to this day due to the repeatedly annulled Jerusalem Law by the UN, as part of the Green Line, runs between the Old City Wall and the Mamilla Mall in West Jerusalem.

Traditionally, the Old City has been divided into five uneven quarters, although the current designations were introduced only in the 19th century. Today, the Old City is roughly divided (going counterclockwise from the northeastern corner) into the Muslim Quarter, Christian Quarter, Armenian Quarter and Jewish Quarter. The Old City’s monumental defensive walls and city gates were built in the years 1535–1542 by the sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. The current population of the Old City resides mostly in the Muslim and Christian quarters. As of 2007 the total population was 37,000.

Armenian Quarter - Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem © flickr.com - Jorge Láscar/cc-by-2.0 Christian Quarter © flickr.com - Ricardo Tulio Gandelman/cc-by-2.0 Jewish Quarter © Zairon/cc-by-sa-4.0 Muslim Quarter © flickr.com - Paul Arps/cc-by-2.0 Old City of Jerusalem © Shmuel Spiegelman/cc-by-sa-1.0 Old City of Jerusalem - Temple Mount © Andrew Shiva/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Armenian Quarter - Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem © flickr.com - Jorge Láscar/cc-by-2.0
Armenian Quarter
The Armenian Quarter is the smallest of the four quarters of the Old City. Although the Armenians are Christian, the Armenian Quarter is distinct from the Christian Quarter. Despite the small size and population of this quarter, the Armenians and their Patriarchate remain staunchly independent and form a vigorous presence in the Old City. After the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, the four quarters of the city came under Jordanian control. Jordanian law required Armenians and other Christians to “give equal time to the Bible and Qur’an” in private Christian schools, and restricted the expansion of church assets. The 1967 war is remembered by residents of the quarter as a miracle, after two unexploded bombs were found inside the Armenian monastery. Today, more than 3,000 Armenians live in Jerusalem, 500 of them in the Armenian Quarter. Some are temporary residents studying at the seminary or working as church functionaries. The Patriarchate owns the land in this quarter as well as valuable property in West Jerusalem and elsewhere. In 1975, a theological seminary was established in the Armenian Quarter. After the 1967 war, the Israeli government gave compensation for repairing any churches or holy sites damaged in the fighting, regardless of who caused the damage.

Christian Quarter
The Christian Quarter is situated in the northwestern corner of the Old City, extending from the New Gate in the north, along the western wall of the Old City as far as the Jaffa Gate, along the Jaffa Gate – Western Wall route in the south, bordering the Jewish and Armenian Quarters, as far as the Damascus Gate in the east, where it borders the Muslim Quarter. The quarter contains the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, viewed by many as Christianity’s holiest place (Jerusalem in Christianity).

Jewish Quarter
The Jewish Quarter lies in the southeastern sector of the walled city, and stretches from the Zion Gate in the south, bordering the Armenian Quarter on the west, along the Cardo to Chain Street in the north and extends east to the Western Wall and the Temple Mount. In 1948, its population of about 2,000 Jews was besieged, and forced to leave en masse. The quarter was completely sacked by Arab forces during the Battle for Jerusalem and ancient synagogues were destroyed. The section of the Jewish quarter destroyed prior to 1967 has since been rebuilt and settled and has a population of 2,400. Many large educational institutions have taken up residence. Before being rebuilt, the quarter was carefully excavated under the supervision of Hebrew University archaeologist Nahman Avigad. The archaeological remains are on display in a series of museums and outdoor parks, which tourists can visit by descending two or three stories beneath the level of the current city. The former Chief Rabbi is Rabbi Avigdor Nebenzahl, and the current Chief Rabbi is his son Rabbi Chizkiyahu Nebenzahl, who is on the faculty of Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh, which is situated directly across from the Western Wall. The quarter includes the “Karaites’ street”, on which the old Anan ben David Kenesa is located.

Moroccan Quarter
There was previously a small Moroccan Quarter in the Old City. Within a week of the Six-Day War‘s end, the Moroccan quarter was largely destroyed and razed by Israeli forces in order to give visitors better access to the Western Wall by creating the Western Wall plaza. The parts of the Moroccan Quarter that were not destroyed are now part of the Jewish Quarter. Simultaneously with the demolition, a new regulation was set into place by which the only access point for non-Muslims to the Temple Mount is through the Gate of the Moors, which is reached via the Mughrabi Bridge.

Muslim Quarter
The Muslim Quarter is the largest and most populous of the four quarters and is situated in the northeastern corner of the Old City, extending from the Lions’ Gate in the east, along the northern wall of the Temple Mount in the south, to the Western WallDamascus Gate route in the west. Its population was 22,000 in 2005. Like the other three quarters of the Old City, until the riots of 1929 the Muslim quarter had a mixed population of Muslims, Christians, and also Jews. Today, there are many Israeli settler homes and several yeshivas, including Yeshivat Ateret Yerushalayim, in the Muslim Quarter. The Via Dolorosa starts in the quarter.

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on Times of Israel, 29 January 2019: Israel advances controversial cable car to Jerusalem’s Old City, Jerusalem Post, 21 March 2020: Jerusalem’s iconic Old City appears deserted amid coronavirus pandemic, Wikivoyage Old City of Jerusalem and Wikipedia Old City of Jerusalem (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Willemstad on Curaçao

Willemstad on Curaçao

[caption id="attachment_206066" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Penha Building from 1708 © Evandria/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Willemstad is the capital city of Curaçao, an island in the southern Caribbean Sea that forms a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Formerly the capital of the Netherlands Antilles prior to its dissolution in 2010, it has an estimated population of 150,000. The historic centre of the city consists of four quarters: the Punda and Otrobanda, which are separated by the Sint...

[ read more ]

Canada: Bon voyage!

Canada: Bon voyage!

[caption id="attachment_171212" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © George F.G. Stanley[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Canada has a large domestic and foreign tourism industry. The second largest country in the world and a population well over 36,5 million, Canada's incredible geographical variety is a significant tourist attractor. Much of the country's tourism is centred in the following (busiest) regions: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver/Whistler, Niagara Falls, Vancouver Island, Canadian Rockies, British Columbias Okanagan Valley, an...

[ read more ]

Nazaré on the Atlantic coast

Nazaré on the Atlantic coast

[caption id="attachment_153719" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Joaomartinho63/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nazaré is a town in Nazaré Municipality in Portugal with a total area of 82.4 km² and a total population of 15,158 inhabitants. It is in the Oeste subregion. The town consists of three sections: Praia (along the beach), Sítio (an old village, on top of a cliff) and Pederneira (another old village, on a hilltop). The Praia and the Sítio areas are linked by the Nazaré Funicular, a funicular railway. The f...

[ read more ]

Jesus Trail in Israel

Jesus Trail in Israel

[caption id="attachment_206865" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Walking the Jesus Trail near Nazareth © Zeromancer44/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Jesus Trail is a 65 km (40 mi) hiking and pilgrimage route in the Galilee region of Israel that traces the route Jesus may have walked, connecting many sites from his life and ministry. The main part of the trail begins in Nazareth and passes through Sepphoris, Cana (Kafr Kanna), the Horns of Hattin, Mount Arbel Cliffs, the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, and the Mou...

[ read more ]

Rokycany in Czech Republic

Rokycany in Czech Republic

[caption id="attachment_159817" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Main Square © Miaow Miaow[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rokycany is a town in the Plzeň Region of the Czech Republic. It lies 17 km (11 mi) to the East from the region capital of Plzeň on the confluence of the River Klabava and the Holoubkov Brook. Alternatively, the Holoubkovský potok is referred to as the Borecký potok and the section of the Klabava River down to the confluence as the Padrťský potok. There is another smaller brook in the western part of the to...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Rothschild family

Portrait: Rothschild family

[caption id="attachment_163358" align="aligncenter" width="488"] Coat of arms of the Rothschild family[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Rothschild family is a wealthy family descending from Mayer Amschel Rothschild, a court Jew to the German Landgraves of Hesse-Kassel, in the Free City of Frankfurt, who established his banking business in the 1760s in Judengasse. Unlike most previous court Jews, Rothschild managed to bequeath his wealth and established an international banking family through his five sons, who established themselve...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Lombardy - Desenzano del Garda

Theme Week Lombardy - Desenzano del Garda

[caption id="attachment_153442" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old port of Desenzano © RicciSpeziari/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Desenzano del Garda is a town and comune in the province of Brescia, on the southwestern shore of Lake Garda. It borders the communes of Castiglione delle Stiviere, Lonato, Padenghe sul Garda and Sirmione. Sometime in the first century, the area around lake Garda, including what is now Desenzano del Garda, became a favourite vacation spot for the Veronese élite, Verona being one of the l...

[ read more ]

Glückstadt on the Elbe

Glückstadt on the Elbe

[caption id="attachment_154370" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Inner Harbour © Nightflyer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Glückstadt is a town in the Steinburg district of Schleswig-Holstein. It is located on the right bank of the Lower Elbe at the confluence of the small Rhin river, about 45 km (28 mi) northwest of Altona. Glückstadt is part of the Hamburg Metropolitan Region. In 1845 Glückstadt station opened on the Marsh Railway line from Elmshorn, which in 1857 was continued to Itzehoe. Today trains run ...

[ read more ]

Riva del Garda on Lake Garda

Riva del Garda on Lake Garda

[caption id="attachment_160881" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Rabanus Flavus[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Riva del Garda is a town and comune in the northern Italian province of Trentino of the Trentino Alto Adige region. It is also known simply as Riva. The estimated population is 16.000. Tourism is the most important activity of the town. The town is also home to industries such as paper manufacturing. Riva del Garda is located at the north-western corner of Lake Garda, approximately 70 metres (230 feet) above sea level. Th...

[ read more ]

Romantic Hotel Muottas Muragl, the first plus-energy hotel in the Alps

Romantic Hotel Muottas Muragl, the first plus-energy hotel in the Alps

[caption id="attachment_161137" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © muottasmuragl.ch[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]During summer 2010, the entire Berghotel Muottas Muragl was completely renovated. Particular focus was placed on the aspect of environmental-friendliness, giving rise to the first plus-energy hotel in the Alps. Besides constructing the building according to the principles and requirements of the Swiss "Minergie" ecological label, this project went one step further. Although the surface area of the building was e...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Ishtar Gate © Hnapel/cc-by-sa-4.0
Museum of the Ancient Near East in Berlin

The Vorderasiatisches Museum (Near East Museum) is an archaeological museum in Berlin. It is in the basement of the south...

Harvard Law School Library in Langdell Hall at night © Chensiyuan/cc-by-sa-4.0
Harvard University in Cambridge

Harvard University is a private Ivy League research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Established in 1636 and named for clergyman John...

East Campus, looking towards Boston Harbor © Nick Allen/cc-by-sa-4.0
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is a private research university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States. Founded in 1861...

Schließen