Île Saint-Louis in Paris

Monday, 9 December 2024 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Paris / Île-de-France
Reading Time:  9 minutes

© flickr.com - Jean-Pierre Dalbéra/cc-by-2.0

© flickr.com – Jean-Pierre Dalbéra/cc-by-2.0

Île Saint-Louis, eleven hectares (27 acres) in size, is one of two natural islands in the Seine river, in Paris, France (the other natural island is the Île de la Cité, where Notre-Dame de Paris is located). Île Saint-Louis is connected to the rest of Paris by four bridges to both banks of the river and to the Île de la Cité by the Pont Saint-Louis. The island is located within the 4th arrondissement of Paris and has a population of 4,453. To this day, Île Saint-Louis is one of the most sought-after and expensive places to live in Paris.

The island was first known as the Île Notre-Dame, and was used mostly for grazing cattle, fishing, drying laundry, and occasionally for fighting duels. In 1360 it was cut in half by a canal, at about the current Rue Poulettiere, in order to bring it into the protection of the new wall around the city built by King Charles V, The slightly smaller eastern portion was named the Ile des Vaches (Island of Cows) (not to be confused with another island of the same name farther downstream). That portion was used for storing wood and building boats

It was originally owned by the chapter of Notre-Dame cathedral. The island was destined for real estate development under King Henry IV, but the king’s assassination in 1610 delayed the project. It was revived 1616 by the developers Christophe Marie, Poulettiere Le Regrettier. The canal dividing the island was filled, plots laid out and imposing residences built. The urbanisation of the island was rapid; within fifty years it was entirely occupied. The Pont Marie, which connects the island with the right bank, is named for Christophe Marie, one of the real estate developers of the island. Beginning in 1614, he was chief builder for Marie de’ Medici, the widow of Henry IV and regent of the young King, Louis XIII. She instructed him to fill in the canal which divided the two parts of the island, and to build solid stone banks entirely around the island. The first part of the project was a new bridge, the Pont Louis XIII; the first stone was laid by the young king himself, then age 13. Various problems delayed the work on the bridge, which was not finished until 1635. The bridge has five arches, each of different sizes. Niches were built for statues between the arches, but, due to the difficulties of the regime, no statues were ever put in place.

Marie de’ Medici promised a long series of benefits, including tennis courts and laundry boats for washing clothing and linen, to those who purchased lots and built houses on the island. She succeeded in attracting magistrates and financiers, but few aristocrats, who preferred the Marais quarter, which had larger plots of land and places for gardens. She also met resistance from the Chapter of Notre Dame, which owned considerable property on the island. Their resistance eventually drove the developer Christophe Marie into bankruptcy. In the end, the houses of the wealthy occupied waterside properties, while the interior was occupied by merchants and artisans.

The island did not take the name of Saint-Louis until 1725. Louis IX, who was made a saint only thirty years after his death in 1270, was believed to have sometimes held court and rendered justice on the island.

During the French Revolution, the island was briefly renamed “Ile de la Fraternité”.

Quai d'Orleans © Moonik/cc-by-sa-3.0 Île de la Cité and Île Saint-Louis © Institut national de l’information géographique et forestière - data.gouv.fr/Licence Ouverte 1.0 © flickr.com - Jean-Pierre Dalbéra/cc-by-2.0 Hôtel Lambert © GFreihalter/cc-by-sa-3.0 Quai de Bethune © Mbzt/cc-by-sa-3.0 Quai d'Orleans © Mbzt/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Île de la Cité and Île Saint-Louis © Institut national de l’information géographique et forestière - data.gouv.fr/Licence Ouverte 1.0
The Quai d’Anjou on the north side of the island, was named for Gaston, Duke of Orléans, the brother of Louis XIII. It was developed by Christophe Marie beginning in 1614. One prominent building is the house of Louis Le Vau, chief architect of the King (3 quai d’Anjou). Another prominent resident of the Quai was Abel-Francois Poisson (5 quai D’Anjou) the Marquis of Marigny and brother of Madame de Pompadour, superintendent of royal buildings for Louis XV. Later residents of the quai included the painter Honoré Daumier, (9 quai d’Anjou) who had a lithography workshop on the top floor. The poet Charles Baudelaire occupied a small apartment on the top floor in the courtyard at 17 Quai d’Anjou from 1843 to 1846.

The Quai de Bourbon was named for the royal family and has a series of very elegant townhouses constructed in the early 17th century. It was briefly the Quai de la Republique after the Revolution, but took back it original name in 1814. The house at 1 quai de Bourbon was occupied by Philippe de Champagne, a favorite artist of Cardinal Richelieu. The sculptor Camille Claudel lived at number 19 between 1899 and 1923, and had her workshop overlooking the courtyard, and remained here until she was sent to an insane asylum for thirty years.

The Quai de Bethune runs along the southeast side of the island. It was built shortly after the assassination of Henry IV, and is named for the late king’s prime minister, Maximilien de Bethune, the Duke of Sully. The Pont de Sully bridge at the southeast end of the island also carries his name.

The Quai d’Orleans continues the Quai de Bethune to the west. Like the Quai d’Anjou, it is named for Gaston d’Orleans, the younger brother of Louis XIII. During the French Revolution, it was renamed the Quai d’Egalite until 1806. It joins the Quai de Bourbon at the Saint-Louis bridge, close to the western point of the island. Its notable buildings include the Polish Library (number 6 quai d’Orleans), originally built for Antoine Moreau, the secretary of Louis XIII. It became the Polish Library in 1838. This part of the island had other notable Polish connections; the Polish prince Czartoryski lived nearby on the side of Quai Anjou, and entertained Chopin, while Marie Curie lived nearby on the Quai Bethune. A notable fictional resident was Charles Swann, protagonist of the novel of Marcel Proust Remembrance of Things Past.

The Rue Saint-Louis-en-l’Île is the main commercial street of the island. It is located in the center of the island, going east to west from one end to the other. Despite its commercial character, it still retains many early residential buildings, the most notable of which is Hôtel Lambert, located at the Quai Anjou on the eastern end of the island. This large town house, with a rotunda overlooking the Seine, was constructed beginning in 1640 by the royal architect, Louis Le Vau.

The Church of Saint-Louis-en-l’Île, at 19 bis rue Saint-Louis-en-l’Ile, is the only church on the island. It was designed by the architect François Le Vau younger brother of the better-known royal architect Louis Le Vau. It was the only building he designed. The first stone was placed on 1 October 1664 by the Archbishop of Paris, but work was delayed by a shortage of funds and it was not completed until 14 July 1726.

Square Barye, on the southeast point of the island, is shaped like a prow of a ship pointing into the Seine. It was originally the site of a convent. It occupies 3,000 square metres (32,000 sq ft), and is a popular park and garden. It takes its name from the 19th-century French sculptor Antoine-Louis Barye, who specialized in sculpture of animals. His work is prominently displayed in the square in front of the Musée d’Orsay.

Read more on Wikipedia Île Saint-Louis (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.



The sail training ship Eendracht

The sail training ship Eendracht

[caption id="attachment_255980" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Żeglarz[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Eendracht is a three-masted schooner from the Netherlands, built in 1989 at the Damen shipyard after a design by W. de Vries Lentsc...

Estoril, retreat of the elite of Lisbon

Estoril, retreat of the elite of Lisbon

[caption id="attachment_151320" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Hotel Palacio © Carcharoth[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Estoril is a seaside resort and civil parish of the Portuguese municipality of Cascais, Lisboa District. The Estori...

H?i An in Vietnam

H?i An in Vietnam

[caption id="attachment_247993" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Thu B?n River at night © Nguyen QuocTrung/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]H?i An, formerly known in the Western world as Faifoo or Faifo, is a city of approximat...

Islay, Scotland's whiskey island

Islay, Scotland's whiskey island

[caption id="attachment_239372" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Main street of Bowmore © panoramio.com - Martin Cígler/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Islay (Scottish Gaelic: Ìle, Scots: Ila) is the southernmost island of t...

The seaside resort of Dinard in Brittany

The seaside resort of Dinard in Brittany

[caption id="attachment_160657" align="aligncenter" width="590"] View towards the Atlantic Ocean © Joergsam[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dinard is a commune in the Ille-et-Vilaine department in Brittany in northwestern France. Dinard is...

Theme Week Dubai - Downtown Dubai

Theme Week Dubai - Downtown Dubai

[caption id="attachment_154494" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Downtown Dubai model © Imre Solt/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Downtown Dubai, previously known as Downtown Burj Dubai, is a large-scale, mixed-use complex und...

Oak Park in Illinois

Oak Park in Illinois

[caption id="attachment_192505" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lake Street © Dennisyerger84/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Oak Park is a village adjacent to the West Side of Chicago. It is the 29th largest municipality in I...

Bangkok, capital of Thailand

Bangkok, capital of Thailand

[caption id="attachment_192811" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Yaowarat Road, Bangkok's Chinatown at night © flickr.com - Ninara/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bangkok is the capital and most populous city of Thailand. The cit...

Breda in the south of Holland

Breda in the south of Holland

[caption id="attachment_159784" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Great church seen from Grote Markt square © ClaudeJacques[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Breda is a municipality and a city in the southern part of the Netherlands. The name...

Colombey-les-Deux-Églises in the Grand Est region

Colombey-les-Deux-Églises in the Grand Est region

[caption id="attachment_233919" align="aligncenter" width="590"] La Boisserie, the home of Charles de Gaulle © Arnaud 25[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Colombey-les-Deux-Églises (literally Colombey the Two Churches) is a commune in the H...

Constitution Square in Mexico City

Constitution Square in Mexico City

[caption id="attachment_252695" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Federal District governent buildings © Luis fervat/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zócalo is the common name of the main square in central Mexico City. Prior to...

Theme Week New York City - Manhattan on Hudson River

Theme Week New York City - Manhattan on Hudson River

[caption id="attachment_26483" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Midtown and Lower Manhattan © flickr.com - Eneas De Troya/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Manhattan is the most densely populated of the five boroughs of New York Ci...

Return to TopReturn to Top