Île de la Cité

Wednesday, 5 October 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, Paris

© GuidoR/cc-by-sa-3.0

© GuidoR/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Île de la Cité is one of two remaining natural islands in the Seine within the city of Paris (the other being the Île Saint-Louis). It is the centre of Paris and the location where the medieval city was refounded. The western end has held a palace since Merovingian times, and its eastern end since the same period has been consecrated to religion, especially after the 10th-century construction of a cathedral preceding today’s Notre Dame. The land between the two was, until the 1850s, largely residential and commercial, but has since been filled by the city’s Prefecture de Police, Palais de Justice, Hôtel-Dieu hospital and Tribunal de commerce. Only the westernmost and northeastern extremities of the island remain residential today, and the latter preserves some vestiges of its 16th-century canon‘s houses.

The Pont Neuf, the “new bridge” that is now the oldest bridge in Paris, was completed by Henry IV, who inaugurated it in 1607. The bronze equestrian statue of Henry IV was commissioned from Giambologna under the orders of Marie de Medici, Henry’s widow and Regent of France, in 1614. After his death, Giambologna’s assistant Pietro Tacca completed the statue, which was erected on its pedestal by Pietro Francavilla in 1618. It was destroyed in 1792 during the French Revolution, but was remade from surviving casts in 1818. The sculpture originally rose from the river on its own foundations, abutting the bridge; since then, the natural sandbar building of a mid-river island, aided by stone-faced embankments called quais, has extended the island, which is planted as the teardrop-shaped Parc Vert Galant in honour of Henry IV, the “Green Gallant” King.

The Place Dauphine, laid out in 1609 while the Place des Vosges was still under construction and named for the Dauphin of France, the future Louis XIII, was among the earliest city-planning projects of Henry IV. The space, essentially a triangle because of its promontory location, was made over to Achille de Harlay for development. Twelve lots were sold, and forty-five irregularly sized houses were constructed behind a standardized façade. The houses were built of brick with limestone quoins supported on arcaded stone ground floors and capped by steep slate roofs with dormers, very like the contemporaneous façades of Place des Vosges. There were originally two entrances to the Place Dauphine, one at the “downstream” point, through a kind of gateway centred on paired pavilions facing the equestrian statue of Henry IV on the far side of the Pont Neuf, and the second in the center of the eastern range. Badly damaged during the turmoil of the Paris Commune of 1871, the eastern range was swept away in 1872 to open the view to the monumental white marble Second Empire Palais de Justice (built 1857–68), like a glazed colonnade centered on the Place Dauphine, the remains of which now form a kind of forecourt to it. Few visitors penetrate the Place Dauphine, which lies behind them, and where all the other buildings have been raised in height, given new façades, rebuilt, or replaced with heightened pastiches of the originals.

© GuidoR/cc-by-sa-3.0 © David Monniaux/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Daniel Vorndran/DXR/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Benh LIEU SONG/cc-by-sa-4.0 Plaque commemorating the burning of Jacques de Molay © PHGCOM/cc-by-sa-3.0 Map of Île de la Cité © OpenStreetMap - Paris 16/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Plaque commemorating the burning of Jacques de Molay © PHGCOM/cc-by-sa-3.0
Three medieval buildings remain on the Île de la Cité (east to west):

The oldest remaining residential quarter is the Ancien Cloître. Baron Haussmann demolished some of the network of narrow streets, but was dismissed in 1869 before the entire quarter was lost. Old engraved maps of Paris show how, when the Pont Neuf was built, it grazed the downstream tip, the “stern” of the island-ship. Since then, the natural sandbar building of a mid-river island, aided by stone-faced embankments called quais, has extended the island, which is planted as the small Vert Galant park (“square du Vert-Galant”), named for Henry IV of France, the “Green Gallant” king whose statue stands near the center of the bridge. It retains the original low-lying riverside level of the island. Nearby, a discreet plaque commemorates the spot where Jacques de Molay, Grand Master of the Knights Templar, was burnt at the stake, 18 March 1314. The upstream tip of the island is the site of the Mémorial des Martyrs de la Déportation, a memorial to the 200,000 people deported from Vichy France to the Nazi concentration camps during the Second World War.

Read more on parisinfo.com – Île de la Cité and Wikipedia Île de la Cité (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Parma, the city of the senses

Parma, the city of the senses

[caption id="attachment_151655" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Piazza Garibaldi © Carlo Ferrari[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Parma is a city in the Italian region of Emilia-Romagna famous for its ham, its cheese, its architecture and the fine countryside around it. This is the home of the University of Parma, one of the oldest universities in the world. Parma is divided into two parts by the little stream with the same name. Parma's Etruscan name was adapted by Romans to describe the round shield called Parma. The Italia...

[ read more ]

Große Freiheit in Hamburg

Große Freiheit in Hamburg

[caption id="attachment_196634" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - IKs World Trip/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Große Freiheit (German for: "Great Freedom") is a cross street on the North Side to Hamburg's Reeperbahn road in the St. Pauli quarter. It is part of the red-light district. The street was named in 1610 after the fact that Count Ernest of Schaumburg and Holstein-Pinneberg had granted religious freedom to non-Lutherans such as Mennonites and Roman Catholics to practise their faith here and comme...

[ read more ]

The Treptowers in Berlin

The Treptowers in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_153364" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Treptowers and Elsen Bridge © Axel Mauruszat/cc-by-2.0-de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Treptowers is a complex of buildings with a distinctive high-rise in the Alt-Treptow district of Berlin. Completed in 1998, the complex is located on the Spree River. The Treptowers complex consists of four buildings and is the result of an architectural competition held in 1993 and won by the architect Gerhard Spangenberg. The final construction cost totaled 500 million euros....

[ read more ]

One Belt and One Road Initiative, the new Silk Road

One Belt and One Road Initiative, the new Silk Road

[caption id="attachment_201284" align="aligncenter" width="590"] President of China Xi Jinping © The Russian Presidential Press and Information Office[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is a development strategy adopted by the Chinese government involving infrastructure development and investments in 152 countries and international organizations in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Latin America and Africa. "Belt" refers to the overland routes for road and rail transportation, called "the Silk Road Economic ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Panama - Colón

Theme Week Panama - Colón

[caption id="attachment_168518" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cruise ship terminal Colon 2000 and Colon Free Trade Zone © flickr.com - Roger Wollstadt/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Colón is a city and sea port beside the Caribbean Sea, lying near the Atlantic entrance to the Panama Canal. It is the capital of the Colón Province and has traditionally been known as Panama's second city. Originally, it was located entirely on Manzanillo Island, surrounded by Limon Bay, Manzanillo Bay and the Folks River, but, since t...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Abruzzo

Theme Week Abruzzo

[caption id="attachment_153291" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Abruzzo map © Idéfix/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Abruzzo is the northernmost region of Southern Italy, with an area of about 10,763 square kilometres (4,156 sq mi) and a population of about 1.3 million inhabitants. Its western border lies less than 50 miles (80 km) east of Rome. The region, divided into the provinces of L'Aquila, Teramo, Pescara and the Chieti, borders the region of Marche to the north, Lazio to the west and south-west, Molise to the s...

[ read more ]

Cape Saint Vincent, the southwestern tip of the European mainland

Cape Saint Vincent, the southwestern tip of the European mainland

[caption id="attachment_154225" align="aligncenter" width="590"] 'Last Bratwurst on your way to America' © CTHOE[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cape St. Vincent (Portuguese: Cabo de São Vicente), next to the Sagres Point, on the so-called Costa Vicentina (Vincentine Coast), is a headland in the municipality of Sagres, in the Algarve. This cape is the southwesternmost point in Portugal. It forms the southwestern end of the E9 European Coastal Path, which runs for 5,000 km (3,100 mi) to Narva-Jõesuu in Estonia. Approximately...

[ read more ]

The Cadillac Ranch in Texas

The Cadillac Ranch in Texas

[caption id="attachment_152056" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Richie Diesterheft/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cadillac Ranch is not a ranch but a public art installation and sculpture in Amarillo, Texas. It was created in 1974 by Chip Lord, Hudson Marquez and Doug Michels, who were a part of the art group Ant Farm. It consists of what were (when originally installed during 1974) either older running used or junk Cadillac automobiles, representing a number of evolutions of the car line (most notably the ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© startup-berlin.com
Start-ups: Berlin still on the rise

The start-up scene in Berlin continues to win in importance and dynamics this year. However, London, by the number and...

Harmony of the Seas © flickr.com - FaceMePLS/cc-by-2.0
The Harmony of the Seas

MS Harmony of the Seas is an Oasis-class cruise ship built by STX France at the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard...

European Court of Justice © flickr.com - sprklg/cc-by-sa-2.0
European Court of Justice

The European Court of Justice (ECJ), officially just the Court of Justice (French: Cour de Justice), is the highest court...

Schließen