Hever Castle in Kent

Wednesday, 31 October 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks
Reading Time:  5 minutes

© Nessy-Pic/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Nessy-Pic/cc-by-sa-4.0

Hever Castle is located in the village of Hever, Kent, near Edenbridge, 30 miles (48 km) south-east of London. It began as a country house, built in the 13th century. From 1462 to 1539, it was the seat of the Boleyn (originally ‘Bullen’) family. Anne Boleyn, the second queen consort of King Henry VIII of England, spent her early youth there after her father, Thomas Boleyn, inherited it in 1505. The castle passed to him upon the death of his father, Sir William Boleyn. It later came into the possession of King Henry VIII’s fourth wife, Anne of Cleves. The castle is now open to the public as a tourist attraction.

There have been three main periods in the construction of this historic castle. The oldest part of the castle dates to 1270 and consisted of the gatehouse and a walled bailey. The second period was when the castle, then in need of repair, was converted into a manor in 1462 by Geoffrey Boleyn, younger brother of Thomas Boleyn, Master of Gonville Hall, Cambridge. He added a Tudor dwelling within the walls. The third period of repair and renovation was in the 20th century, when it was acquired by William Waldorf Astor. Geoffrey Boleyn’s grandson, Thomas Boleyn, inherited the castle in 1505. He lived there with his wife Lady Elizabeth Howard and their children George, Mary and Anne (the future wife of Henry VIII). It is not known if Anne was born at Hever (the year of her birth is not certain), but she lived there until she was sent to the Netherlands in 1513 to receive an education at the court of the Archduchess Margaret. Henry VIII often used the nearby Bolebroke Castle to conduct his courtship with Anne. The property came into the possession of Henry VIII after the death of Anne’s father, Thomas Boleyn, in 1539. He bestowed it upon Anne of Cleves in 1540 as part of the settlement following the annulment of their marriage. Hever Castle still has one of Henry VIII’s private locks, taken with him on his various visits to noblemen’s houses and fitted to every door for his security.

One of the rose gardens with fountain © GrahamBould © Nessy-Pic/cc-by-sa-4.0 Long Gallery © Paul Hermans/cc-by-sa-4.0 © geograph.org.uk - Tony Grant/cc-by-sa-2.0 Cottages © panoramio.com - Scorewith German/cc-by-3.0 Cottages near the castle © GrahamBould © Christoph Matthias Siebenborn/cc-by-3.0 © Charlesdrakew Bridge over the moat © GrahamBould Portrait of Anne Boleyn on display at Hever Castle
<
>
Cottages © panoramio.com - Scorewith German/cc-by-3.0
The property subsequently passed through various owners, including the Waldegrave family from 1557 to 1715, and the Meade Waldo family from 1749 to 1903. During this latter period of ownership, the castle fell into a poor state of repair, during which time it was leased to various private tenants. In 1903, it was acquired and restored by the American millionaire William Waldorf Astor, who used it as a family residence. He added the Italian Garden to display his collection of statuary and ornaments. In 1983, the Astor family sold the castle to Broadland Properties Limited, which is run by the Guthrie family.

Hever Castle is now a tourist attraction, drawing on its links to Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, its mazes, gardens and lake. There is an annual events programme with assorted events, including jousting tournaments and archery displays in the summer months and an annual patchwork and quilting exhibition in September. The castle has also become the venue for a triathlon. The castle offers three floors containing antique furniture, Anne Boleyn’s prayer books, instruments of torture, and a large collection of Tudor paintings. There is also a museum of the Kent and Sharpshooters Yeomanry. The remains of the original country house timbers can still be seen within the stone walls of the fortification, while the gatehouse is the only original part of the castle. It has the oldest working original portcullis in England. The grounds of the castle include a yew maze, planted in 1904. There is also a water maze, opened in 1999, the object of which is to get to the folly at the centre without getting wet, while in the children’s adventure playground there is a tower maze. The castle gardens contain a wide range of features, including an Italianate garden (including Fernery), rose gardens, herb garden, and topiary.

Read more on Hever Castle, VisitBritain.com – Hever Castle and Wikipedia Hever Castle (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.








Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Bhutan - Wangdue Phodrang

Theme Week Bhutan - Wangdue Phodrang

[caption id="attachment_221373" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Wangdue Phodrang Dzong under reconstruction in 2019 © Christopher J. Fynn/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wangdue Phodrang is a town and capital (dzongkhag thromde) of Wangdue Phodrang District in central Bhutan. It is located in Thedtsho Gewog. The town shares its name with the Wangdue Phodrang Dzong built in 1638 that dominates the district. The name is said to have been given by Ngawang Namgyal, the 1st Zhabdrung Rinpoche, who was searching for the best ...

[ read more ]

Cathedral Notre Dame de Paris

Cathedral Notre Dame de Paris

[caption id="attachment_25625" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Notre Dame de Paris © flickr.com - Bertrand/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"](latest update: 15 April 2024) Notre-Dame de Paris (French for "Our Lady of Paris"), also known as Notre-Dame Cathedral or simply Notre-Dame, is a historic Catholic cathedral on the eastern half of the Île de la Cité in the fourth arrondissement of Paris. The cathedral is widely considered to be one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture and among the largest and most we...

[ read more ]

The Spanish Virgin Islands

The Spanish Virgin Islands

[caption id="attachment_150625" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Vieques - Shoreline at Esperanza © Rar285/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Spanish Virgin Islands, formerly called the Passage Islands and also known as the Puerto Rican Virgin Islands, primarily consisting of the islands of Culebra and Vieques, are part of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and are located east of the main island of Puerto Rico. Puerto Rican tourist literature uses the name Spanish Virgin Islands, but most general maps and atlases...

[ read more ]

The Plaza in Midtown Manhattan

The Plaza in Midtown Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_165632" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Plaza Hotel, as seen from across The Pond in Central Park © OptimumPx[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Plaza Hotel, located in the Midtown Manhattan neighborhood of the borough of Manhattan, New York City, is a landmark 20-story luxury hotel and condominium apartment building, owned by an Indian conglomerate, Sahara India Pariwar. With a height of 250 ft (76 m) and a length of 400 ft (120 m), the hotel occupies the west side of Grand Army Plaza, from which it der...

[ read more ]

The Thousand Islands

The Thousand Islands

[caption id="attachment_153033" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Just Enough Room Island © Omegatron/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Thousand Islands constitute an archipelago of 1,864 islands that straddles the Canada-U.S. border in the Saint Lawrence River as it emerges from the northeast corner of Lake Ontario. They stretch for about 50 miles (80 km) downstream from Kingston, Ontario. The Canadian islands are in the province of Ontario, the U.S. islands in the state of New York. Passenger air service to the 1000 I...

[ read more ]

Theme Week East Jerusalem - The Dome of the Rock/Qubbat As-Sakhrah on Temple Mount

Theme Week East Jerusalem - The Dome of the Rock/Qubbat As-Sakhrah on Temple Mount

[caption id="attachment_27845" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Starbuck121/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Dome of the Rock is a shrine located on the Temple Mount/Haram Al-Sharif in East Jerusalem. It was initially completed in 691 CE at the order of Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Malik during the Second Fitna. The Dome of the Rock is now one of the oldest works of Islamic architecture. It has been called "Jerusalem's most recognizable landmark". Its architecture and mosaics were patterned after nearby Byzantine churches ...

[ read more ]

Moulins in Auvergne

Moulins in Auvergne

[caption id="attachment_160785" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Moulins and Cathedral © Alphanumeric[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Moulins is a commune in central France, capital of the Allier department. Among its many tourist attractions are the Maison Mantin the Anne de Beaujeu Museum. Moulins is located on the banks of the Allier River. Moulins-Montbeugny Airport is a small airport located near Moulins. Before the French Revolution, Moulins was the capital of the province of Bourbonnais and the seat of the Dukes of Bou...

[ read more ]

Nîmes, capital of the Gard department

Nîmes, capital of the Gard department

[caption id="attachment_153793" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Arènes de Nîmes © Armin Kübelbeck/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nîmes is a city in the Languedoc-Roussillon region of southern France. It is the capital of the Gard department. Nîmes is located between the Mediterranean Sea and the Cévennes mountains. The estimated population of Nîmes is 176,000. Nîmes has a rich history, dating back to the Roman Empire when the city was home to 50,000 – 60,000 people. Augustus gave the town a ring of ra...

[ read more ]

The university and Hanseatic town of Greifswald

The university and Hanseatic town of Greifswald

[caption id="attachment_150388" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Market Square with the City Hall © Axt[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Greifswald is a town in northeastern Germany. It is situated in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, at an equal distance of about 250 kilometres (160 mi) from Germany's two largest cities, Berlin and Hamburg. The town borders the Baltic Sea, and is crossed by a small river, the Ryck. It is also located near Germany's two largest islands, Rügen and Usedom as well as near three of the country's 14 na...

[ read more ]

Tverskaya Street in Moscow

Tverskaya Street in Moscow

[caption id="attachment_185923" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tverskaya Street, seen from Manezhnaya Square © flickr.com - Jorge Láscar/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tverskaya Street, known between 1935 and 1990 as Gorky Street, is the main radial street in Moscow. The street runs Northwest from the central Manege Square in the direction of Saint Petersburg and terminates at the Garden Ring, giving the name to Tverskoy District. The route continues further as First Tverskaya-Yamskaya Street, Leningradsky Avenue and Le...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Käthe-Kollwitz-Museum Berlin © De-okin/cc-by-sa-3.0
Käthe Kollwitz Museum Berlin

The Käthe Kollwitz Museum in Berlin owns one of the largest collections of works by the German artist Käthe Kollwitz...

Dovemount Place © geograph.org.uk - Walter Baxter/cc-by-sa-2.0
Theme Week Scottish Borders – Hawick

Hawick is a town in the Scottish Borders council area and historic county of Roxburghshire in the east Southern Uplands...

Tweed Bridge © Kjetil Bjørnsrud/cc-by-2.5
Theme Week Scottish Borders – Peebles

Peebles is a royal burgh in Peeblesshire, of which it is the county town, within the Scottish Borders region with...

Close