The Hanseatic city of Wismar

Tuesday, 26 April 2011 - 04:25 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Architecture, General, UNESCO World Heritage

Town Hall © Niteshift/HWI

Town Hall © Niteshift/HWI

Wismar is a small port and Hanseatic League town in northern Germany on the Baltic Sea, in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, about 45 km due east of Lübeck, and 30 km due north of Schwerin. Its natural harbour, located in the Bay of Wismar is well-protected by a promontory. The population was 45,414 in March 2005, more than doubled from 21,902 in 1905.

Representative of Hanseatic League city brick construction as well as the German brick churches, the city has been included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites since 2002.

The town was the setting of the 1922 vampire movie Nosferatu (in the film however, the town is named “Wisborg”).

The centre of the old town is the huge Market Place, the largest in Germany (10,000 square metres), surrounded by elegant buildings with styles ranging from 14th-century North German Gothic to 19th-century Romanesque revival. The square’s focal point is the Wasserkunst, an elaborate wrought-iron fountain imported from Holland in 1602. The northern side of the square is occupied by the Town Hall, built in neoclassical style in 1817–1819. Another notable building in the square is an ancient Gothic warehouse called Alter Schwede (The Old Swede), erected around 1380.

Market Square © Dr Wilfred Krause Kraemer Street © Rabanus Flavus Alter Schwede © Reinhard Kraasch Water Gate © geocities.com Schabbellhaus - Museum of Local History © Norbert Kaiser Half-timbered house built over Grube Canal © Norbert Kaiser Pharmacy © Raboe001 Water Art © Alexander Koker Water Tower © Jens K Müller Swines Bridge © Jürgen Wachsmuth Old Harbour © Rainer Marks Town Hall © Niteshift/HWI
<
>
Half-timbered house built over Grube Canal © Norbert Kaiser
The 80 m high tower church of St Mary (Marienkirche) is the only remainder of the original Brick Gothic edifice, built in the first half of the 13th century. It suffered heavy damage in World War II, and was deliberately destroyed in 1960 under the East German Communist government.

The church of St Nicholas (Nikolaikirche), built in 1381–1460, with very lofty vaulting, together with the Marienkirche, are regarded as good examples of the influence exercised in these northern provinces by the large church of St Mary in Lübeck.

The elegant cruciform church of St George (St Georgen-Kirche) dates from the first half of the 13th century. It was heavily damaged in World War II and repaired during 1990-2010.

The Fürstenhof, at one time a ducal residence, and later occupied by the municipal authorities, is a richly decorated specimen of the Italian early Renaissance style. Built in 1552–1565, it was restored in 1877–1879. The “Old School”, dating from about 1300, has been restored. The town hall, rebuilt in 1829, contains a collection of pictures. The main gallery for fine arts is the Municipal Gallery “Baumhaus” located in the old harbour area of Wismar.

To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facepage pages/Twitter accounts. Read more on City of Wismar (German only) and Wikipedia Wismar. Learn more about the use of photos.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Madaba in Jordan

Madaba in Jordan

[caption id="attachment_164279" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Downtown Madaba © Jean Housen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Madaba is the capital city of Madaba Governorate in central Jordan, with a population of about 60,000. It is best known for its Byzantine and Umayyad mosaics, especially a large Byzantine-era mosaic map of Palestine. Madaba is located 30 kilometres (19 miles) south-west of the capital Amman. The town of Madaba was once a Moabite border city, mentioned in the Bible. During its rule by the Roman an...

[ read more ]

St Paul's Cathedral in London

St Paul's Cathedral in London

[caption id="attachment_27078" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Mark Fosh/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]St Paul's Cathedral, London, is an Anglican cathedral, the seat of the Bishop of London and the mother church of the Diocese of London. It sits at the top of Ludgate Hill, the highest point in the City of London. Its dedication to Paul the Apostle dates back to the original church on this site, founded in AD 604. The present church, dating from the late 17th century, was designed in the English Baroque st...

[ read more ]

Sea of Galilee

Sea of Galilee

[caption id="attachment_151161" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tiberias © Pacman[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Sea of Galilee is the largest freshwater lake in Israel und Syria (Golan Heights), and it is approximately 53 km (33 mi) in circumference, about 21 km (13 mi) long, and 13 km (8.1 mi) wide. The lake has a total area of 166.7 km2 (64.4 sq mi) at its fullest, and a maximum depth of approximately 43 m (141 feet). At levels between 215 metres (705 ft) and 209 metres (686 ft) below sea level, it is the lowest freshwater l...

[ read more ]

Sandhamn, in the eastern part of Stockholm's archipelago

Sandhamn, in the eastern part of Stockholm's archipelago

[caption id="attachment_153832" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Arild Vågen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sandhamn ("Sand Harbour") is a small settlement in the central-peripheral part of the Stockholm Archipelago in central-eastern Sweden, approximately 50 km (30 mi) east of Stockholm. Sandhamn is located on the island Sandön ("Sand Island"), which is, however, colloquially referred to as Sandhamn. One of the most important natural ports in the archipelago with easy access to the Swedish capital, Sandhamn...

[ read more ]

Grands Causses Regional Natural Park in Occitanie

Grands Causses Regional Natural Park in Occitanie

[caption id="attachment_212656" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Avène © Toutaitanous/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Regional Nature Park Grands Causses (French: Parc naturel régional des Grands Causses) is located in the French department of Aveyron in the Occitania region. The nature park was founded on May 6, 1995 and today covers an area of around 327,000 hectares. The park administration is based in Millau, where the “Maison du Parc” is located. The park is made up of 93 municipalities with a catchment ar...

[ read more ]

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch on the island of Anglesey

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch on the island of Anglesey

[caption id="attachment_151359" align="aligncenter" width="590"] St Mary's Church © Necrothesp/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Llanfairpwllgwyngyll is a large village and community on the island of Anglesey in Wales, situated on the Menai Strait next to the Britannia Bridge and across the strait from Bangor. It is alternatively known as Llanfairpwll, Llanfair PG, or Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch. The community has a population of 3,100. The name means: Parish [church] ...

[ read more ]

Canton Tower in Guangzhou

Canton Tower in Guangzhou

[caption id="attachment_200915" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © panoramio.com - jiang-wen-jie/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Canton Tower is a 604 metres (1,982 ft) tall multi-purpose observation tower in the Haizhu District of the city of Guangzhou (historically known as Canton). The tower was topped out in 2009 and it became operational on 29 September 2010 for the 2010 Asian Games. The tower briefly held the title of tallest tower in the world, replacing the CN Tower, before being surpassed by the Tokyo Skytre...

[ read more ]

Theme Week San Francisco - Sausalito

Theme Week San Francisco - Sausalito

[caption id="attachment_27231" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sausalito houseboat community © Frank Schulenburg/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sausalito is a San Francisco Bay Area city in Marin County, California. Sausalito is 8 miles (13 km) south-southeast of San Rafael, at an elevation of 13 feet (4 m). The population was 7,061 as of the 2010 census. The community is situated near the northern end of the Golden Gate Bridge, and prior to the building of that bridge served as a terminus for rail, car, and ferry traf...

[ read more ]

Jakarta in Indonesia

Jakarta in Indonesia

[caption id="attachment_168818" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Jalan Jenderal Sudirman © Ecal saputra/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jakarta, officially the Special Capital Region of Jakarta, is the capital and most populous city of Indonesia. Located on the northwest coast of the world's most populous island of Java, the city is the center of economics, culture and politics of Indonesia, with a population of 10.2 million. Greater Jakarta metropolitan area, which is known as Jabodetabek (a name formed by combining the...

[ read more ]

Essen, European Cultural Capital 2010

Essen, European Cultural Capital 2010

[caption id="attachment_151128" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ronald McDonald House by Friedensreich Hundertwasser © Thomas Schoch[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Essen is a city in the central part of the Ruhr area in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Located on the River Ruhr, its population of approximately 579,000 makes it the 9th-largest city in Germany. For the year 2010, Essen was the European Capital of Culture on behalf of the whole Ruhr area. Formerly one of Germany's most important coal and steel centres and hist...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
University of Bradford - School of Management © Tim Green
Bradford, UNESCO City of Film

Bradford lies at the heart of the City of Bradford, a metropolitan borough of West Yorkshire, in Northern England. It...

Berlin Observatory in Potsdam now hosts Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research © H. Raab
Theme Week Potsdam – Studio Babelsberg, parks and palaces

Potsdam is the capital city of the German federal state of Brandenburg and part of the Berlin/Brandenburg Metropolitan Region. It...

Kings College Chapel West © Andrew Dunn www.andrewdunnphoto.com
Cambridge, a city for all seasons

The city of Cambridge is a university town and the administrative centre of the county of Cambridgeshire, England. It lies...

Schließen