Grand Palace in Bangkok

Friday, 13 November 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks
Reading Time:  4 minutes

Chakri Maha Prasat © Andy Marchand/cc-by-sa-3.0

Chakri Maha Prasat © Andy Marchand/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Grand Palace is a complex of buildings at the heart of Bangkok, Thailand. The palace has been the official residence of the Kings of Siam (and later Thailand) since 1782. The king, his court, and his royal government were based on the grounds of the palace until 1925. King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX), resided at the Chitralada Royal Villa and his successor King Vajiralongkorn (Rama X) at the Amphorn Sathan Residential Hall, both in the Dusit Palace, but the Grand Palace is still used for official events. Several royal ceremonies and state functions are held within the walls of the palace every year. The palace is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Thailand.

Construction of the palace began on 6 May 1782, at the order of King Phutthayotfa Chulalok (Rama I), the founder of the Chakri Dynasty, when he moved the capital city from Thonburi to Bangkok. Throughout successive reigns, many new buildings and structures were added, especially during the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). By 1925, the king, the Royal Family and the government were no longer permanently settled at the palace, and had moved to other residences. After the abolition of absolute monarchy in 1932, all government agencies completely moved out of the palace.

Grand Palace from across Chao Phraya River © flickr.com - McKay Savage/cc-by-2.0 Chakri Maha Prasat © Andy Marchand/cc-by-sa-3.0 Phra Maha Montein Group © Gisling/cc-by-sa-3.0 Phra Maha Prasat group © D Ramey Logan/cc-by-sa-3.0 Phra Thinang Borom Phiman © Sodacan/cc-by-sa-3.0 Phra Thinang Dusit Maha Prasat © Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Grand Palace from across Chao Phraya River © flickr.com - McKay Savage/cc-by-2.0
In shape, the palace complex is roughly rectangular and has a combined area of 218,400 square metres (2,351,000 sq ft), surrounded by four walls. It is situated on the banks of the Chao Phraya River at the heart of the Rattanakosin Island, today in the Phra Nakhon District. The Grand Palace is bordered by Sanam Luang and Na Phra Lan Road to the north, Maharaj Road to the west, Sanam Chai Road to the east and Thai Wang Road to the south.

Rather than being a single structure, the Grand Palace is made up of numerous buildings, halls, pavilions set around open lawns, gardens and courtyards. Its asymmetry and eclectic styles are due to its organic development, with additions and rebuilding being made by successive reigning kings over 200 years of history. It is divided into several quarters: the Temple of the Emerald Buddha; the Outer Court, with many public buildings; the Middle Court, including the Phra Maha Monthien Buildings, the Phra Maha Prasat Buildings and the Chakri Maha Prasat Buildings; the Inner Court and the Siwalai Gardens quarter. The Grand Palace is currently partially open to the public as a museum, but it remains a working palace, with several royal offices still situated inside.

Read more on Grand Palace and Wikipedia Grand Palace (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

German Jordanian University in Madaba

German Jordanian University in Madaba

[caption id="attachment_217131" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © GJU - GJU[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]German-Jordanian University (GJU) is a public university located near Madaba, Jordan. It offers more than 28 programs to over 6,000 students, primarily from Jordan and the Middle East. The curriculum differs from other Jordanian universities, with German language courses offered as preparation for the fourth academic year at a university of applied sciences in Germany and an introduction to German industry through an obligator...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Philippines - Puerto Princesa

Theme Week Philippines - Puerto Princesa

[caption id="attachment_204142" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Portal of Plaza Cuartel © Joelaldor/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Puerto Princesa, officially the City of Puerto Princesa, and often referred to as Puerto Princesa City, is a 1st class Highly Urbanized City in the Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 255,116 people. It is a city located in the western province of Palawan, and is the westernmost city in the Philippines. Though the seat of government and capital for the province...

[ read more ]

The Rotterdam

The Rotterdam

[caption id="attachment_151025" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © F. Eveleens/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The fifth SS Rotterdam, also known as "The Grande Dame", is a former ocean liner and cruise ship, and has been a hotel ship in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, since 2010. She was launched by Queen Juliana of the Netherlands in a gala ceremony on 13 September 1958, and was completed the following summer. The Rotterdam was the last great Dutch "ship of state", employing the finest artisans from the Netherlands in her ...

[ read more ]

Jardins du Trocadéro in Paris

Jardins du Trocadéro in Paris

[caption id="attachment_27332" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Panorama from the Eiffel Tower at the sunset © flickr.com - Alexander Kachkaev/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jardins du Trocadéro (Gardens of the Trocadero) is an open space in Paris, located in the 16th arrondissement of Paris, bounded to the northwest by the wings of the Palais de Chaillot and to the southeast by the Seine and the Pont d'Iéna, with the Eiffel Tower on the opposite bank of the Seine. The main feature, called the Fountain of Warsaw,...

[ read more ]

Lloyd's building in London

Lloyd's building in London

[caption id="attachment_25553" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © geograph.org.uk - Oast House Archive/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Lloyd's building (sometimes known as the Inside-Out Building) is the home of the insurance institution Lloyd's of London. It is located on the former site of East India House in 1 Lime Street, in London's main financial district, the City of London. The building is a leading example of radical Bowellism architecture in which the services for the building, such as ducts and lifts, are ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week County Cork - Glengarriff

Theme Week County Cork - Glengarriff

[caption id="attachment_223848" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Andreas F. Borchert/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Glengarriff (Irish: Gleann Garbh, meaning 'rough glen') is a village of approximately 140 people on the N71 national secondary road in the Beara Peninsula of County Cork, Ireland. Known internationally as a tourism venue, it has a number of natural attractions. It sits at the northern head of Glengarriff Bay, a smaller enclave of Bantry Bay. Located 20 km (~12 miles) west of Bantry, and 30 km (~18 mile...

[ read more ]

German Emigration Center in Bremerhaven

German Emigration Center in Bremerhaven

[caption id="attachment_192221" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © PhilippN/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The German Emigration Center (German: Deutsches Auswandererhaus) is a museum located in Bremerhaven, Germany dedicated to the history of German emigration, especially to the United States. It is Europe's largest theme museum about emigration. Visitors can experience the emigration process through interactive exhibits. The museum also provides access to databases of immigration records. The museum with a area of 420...

[ read more ]

Hanging Church in Old Cairo

Hanging Church in Old Cairo

[caption id="attachment_234085" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Radosław Botev/cc-by-3.0-pl[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Saint Virgin Mary's Coptic Orthodox Church (Church of Mother of God Saint Mary in Egyptian Babylon), also known as the Hanging Church, is one of the oldest churches in Egypt which dates to the third century. It belongs to the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria. The Hanging Church is named for its location above a gatehouse of Babylon Fortress, the Roman fortress in Coptic Cairo (Old Cairo); its nav...

[ read more ]

Sydney Road in Melbourne

Sydney Road in Melbourne

[caption id="attachment_206569" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © orderinchaos/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sydney Road (in its northernmost part also known as the Hume Highway) is a major urban arterial in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Sydney Road starts at the northern end of Royal Parade at the boundary of Parkville and Brunswick and continues north through Brunswick, Coburg, Coburg North, Hadfield, Fawkner, Campbellfield, Somerton and Craigieburn, where it joins the Hume Freeway. The sec...

[ read more ]

The Garment District in Midtown Manhattan

The Garment District in Midtown Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_26652" align="aligncenter" width="590"] 'The Garment Worker' and information booth with 'Button and Needle' sculpture © Jim.henderson[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Garment District is a neighborhood located in the Midtown Manhattan. The dense concentration of fashion-related uses give the neighborhood—which is generally considered to lie between Fifth Avenue and Ninth Avenue, from 34th to 42nd Street—its name. The Garment District has been known since the early 20th century as the center for fashion ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Andreas Faessler/cc-by-sa-3.0
Beale Street in Memphis

Beale Street is a street in Downtown Memphis, Tennessee, which runs from the Mississippi River to East Street, a distance...

New Synagogue © Waithamai/cc-by-sa-4.0
Konstanz New Synagogue

The synagogue in Konstanz, the district town of the district of Konstanz in Baden-Württemberg, was built in 1882/1883 and destroyed...

© Immanuel Giel
Chapel of Reconciliation in Berlin

The Chapel of Reconciliation (German: Kapelle der Versöhnung) is a place of worship in Berlin, Germany. It stands on the...

Schließen