Theme Week Istanbul – Grand Bazaar

Wednesday, 6 July 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Union for the Mediterranean
Reading Time:  6 minutes

Entrance gate © Derzsi Elekes Andor/cc-by-sa-4.0

Entrance gate © Derzsi Elekes Andor/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Grand Bazaar (Turkish: Kapalıçarşı, meaning “Covered Market”; also Büyük Çarşı, meaning “Grand Market” in Istanbul is one of the largest and oldest covered markets in the world, with 61 covered streets and over 4,000 shops which attract between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily. In 2014, it was listed No.1 among world’s most-visited tourist attractions with 91,250,000 annual visitors. the Grand Bazar at Istanbul is often regarded as one of the first shopping malls of the world. The Grand Bazaar is located inside the walled city. It stretches roughly from west to east between the mosques of Beyazit and of Nuruosmaniye. The Bazaar can easily be reached from Sultanahmet and Sirkeci by trams (Beyazıt-Kapalıçarşı stop).

The construction of the future Grand Bazaar’s core started during the winter of 1455/56, shortly after the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople. Sultan Mehmet II had an edifice erected devoted to the trading of textiles. It was named Cevâhir Bedestan (‘Bedesten of Gems’) and was also known as Bezzâzistan-ı Cedîd (‘New Bedesten’) in Ottoman Turkish. The word bedesten is adapted from the Persian word bezestan, derived from bez (“cloth”), and means “bazaar of the cloth sellers”. The building – named alternately in Turkish İç (‘Internal’), Atik (‘Ancient’), or Eski (‘Old’) Bedesten – lies on the slope of the third hill of Istanbul, between the ancient Fora of Constantine and of Theodosius. It was also near the first sultan’s palace, the Old Palace (Eski Sarayi), which was also in construction in those same years, and not far from the Artopoleia, the city’s bakers’ quarter in Byzantine times.

Tea © Martin Falbisoner/cc-by-sa-4.0 Entrance gate © Derzsi Elekes Andor/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Dmgultekin/cc-by-sa-3.0 © espiritu_protector/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Freedom's Falcon/cc-by-sa-3.0 Spices © DavidConFran/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Entrance gate © Derzsi Elekes Andor/cc-by-sa-4.0
At the beginning of the 17th century the Grand Bazaar had already achieved its final shape. The enormous extent of the Ottoman Empire in three continents, and the total control of road communications between Asia and Europe, rendered the Bazaar and the surrounding hans or caravanserais the hub of the Mediterranean trade. According to several European travellers, at that time, and until the first half of the 19th century, the market was unrivalled in Europe with regards to the abundance, variety and quality of the goods on sale. At that time we know from European travellers that the Grand Bazaar had a square plan, with two perpendicular main roads crossing in the middle and a third road running along the outer perimeter. In the Bazaar there were 67 roads (each bearing the name of the sellers of a particular good), several squares used for the daily prayers, 5 mosques, 7 fountains, 18 gates which were opened each day in the morning and closed in the evening (from these comes the modern name of the Market, “Closed Market” (Kapalıçarşı). Around 1638 the Turkish traveller Evliya Çelebi gave us the most important historical description of the Bazaar and of its customs. The number of shops amounted to 3,000, plus 300 located in the surrounding hans, large caravanserais with two or three storeys round a porticoed inner courtyard, where goods could be stored and merchants could be lodged. In that period one tenth of the shops of the city were concentrated in the market and around it. For all that, at that time the market was not yet covered.

Today the Grand Bazaar is a thriving complex, employing 26,000 people visited by between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily, and one of the major landmarks of Istanbul. It must compete with modern shopping malls common in Istanbul, but its beauty and fascination represent a formidable advantage for it. The head of the Grand Bazaar Artisans Association claimed that the complex was in 2011 – the year of its 550th birthday – the most visited monument in the world. A restoration project starting in 2012 should renew its infrastructure, heating and lighting systems. Moreover, the hans inside the Market will be renovated and later additions will be demolished. This project should finally solve the big problems of the market: for example, in the whole Bazaar there is no proper toilet facility. Moreover, the lacks of controls in the past years allowed many dealers to remove columns and skive walls in their shops to gain space: This, together with the substitution of lead (stolen in the last years) with concrete on the market’s roof, has created a great hazard when the earthquake expected in Istanbul in the next years will occur. The Grand Bazaar is opened each day except Sundays and bank holidays from 9:00 until 19:00.

Read more on LonelyPlanet.com – Grand Bazaar, Grand Bazaar Shopping and Wikipedia Grand Bazaar (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Künzelsau in Baden-Württemberg

Künzelsau in Baden-Württemberg

[caption id="attachment_227774" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Schloss Stetten © Carsten Steger/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Künzelsau is a town in Baden-Württemberg, in south central Germany. It is the capital of the Hohenlohe district. It is located on the river Kocher, 19 km (12 mi) north of Schwäbisch Hall, and 37 km (23 mi) northeast of Heilbronn. The city of Künzelsau is located, at elevation 210–43 m (689–1,427 ft), along the Kocher River, a right tributary of the Neckar River, some 40 km east (25 mi)...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Channel Islands - Guernsey

Theme Week Channel Islands - Guernsey

[caption id="attachment_151201" align="aligncenter" width="590"] QE2 Marina - St. Peter Port © Steve Neville[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Bailiwick, as a governing entity, embraces not only all 10 parishes on the Island of Guernsey, but also the islands of Herm, Jethou, Burhou, and Lihou and their islet possessions. The Bailiwick of Guernsey also administers some aspects of two nearby crown dependencies (Alderney and Sark), and the island of Brecqhou. Although its defence is the responsibility of the United Kingdom, th...

[ read more ]

Negev in Israel

Negev in Israel

[caption id="attachment_208362" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Arad © Neukoln/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Negev is a desert and semidesert region of southern Israel. The region's largest city and administrative capital is Beersheba, in the north. At its southern end is the Gulf of Aqaba and the resort city of Eilat. It contains several development towns, including the nuclear reactor, built by France and paid for by Germany, in Dimona (Shimon Peres Negev Nuclear Research Center), Arad and Mitzpe Ramon, as well ...

[ read more ]

Kaunas, the second largest city in Lithuania

Kaunas, the second largest city in Lithuania

[caption id="attachment_161161" align="aligncenter" width="590"] State Musical Theatre © Creative[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kaunas is the second-largest city in Lithuania and has historically been a leading centre of Lithuanian economic, academic, and cultural life. Kaunas was the biggest city and the center of a powiat in Trakai Voivodeship of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania since 1413. During Russian Empire occupation it was the capital of the Kovno Governorate from 1843 to 1915. It became the only temporary capital city in Euro...

[ read more ]

Glenfinnan in the Highlands of Scotland

Glenfinnan in the Highlands of Scotland

[caption id="attachment_221601" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Glenfinnan Monument © Flaxton[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Glenfinnan is a hamlet in Lochaber area of the Highlands of Scotland. In 1745 the Jacobite rising began here when Prince Charles Edward Stuart ("Bonnie Prince Charlie") raised his standard on the shores of Loch Shiel. Seventy years later, the 18 m (60 ft) Glenfinnan Monument, at the head of the loch, was erected to commemorate the historic event. Prince Charles landed from France on Eriskay in the Wes...

[ read more ]

Salisbury in Wiltshire

Salisbury in Wiltshire

[caption id="attachment_151976" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ox Row © geograph.org.uk - Chris Talbot/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Salisbury (the anglicised form of Salzburg) is a cathedral city in Wiltshire, England and the only city within the county. It is the 2nd largest settlement in the county by population, between Chippenham and Swindon. It has also been called New Sarum to distinguish it from the original site of settlement to the north of the city at Old Sarum, but this alternative name is not in common u...

[ read more ]

Montpellier, capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon region

Montpellier, capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon region

[caption id="attachment_160471" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Rue Foch with triumphal arch Peyrou © Jonas Lange[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Montpellier is a city in southern France. It is the capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon region, as well as the Hérault department. Montpellier is the 8th largest city of the country, and is also the fastest growing city in France over the past 25 years. Montpellier is one of the few large cities in France without a (Gallo-)Roman background and one of the few cities in southern France with...

[ read more ]

Nieuwpoort in West Flanders

Nieuwpoort in West Flanders

[caption id="attachment_227556" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Nieuwpoort on Yser river © Marc Ryckaert/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nieuwpoort is a municipality located in Flanders, one of the three regions of Belgium, and in the Flemish province of West Flanders. The municipality comprises the city of Nieuwpoort proper and the towns of Ramskapelle and Sint-Joris. On 1 January 2008 Nieuwpoort had a total population of 11,062. The total area is 31.00 km² which gives a population density of 350 inhabitants per km². In...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Macedonia - Bitola

Theme Week Macedonia - Bitola

[caption id="attachment_151170" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Clock tower © Zdravevski/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bitola is a city in the southwestern part of Macedonia. The city is an administrative, cultural, industrial, commercial, and educational centre. It is located in the southern part of the Pelagonia valley, surrounded by the Baba, Nidže and Kajmakčalan mountain ranges, 14 kilometres (9 miles) north of the Medžitlija-Níki border crossing with Greece. It is an important junction connecting the south o...

[ read more ]

Almería in Andalusia

Almería in Andalusia

[caption id="attachment_153040" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Gernot Keller - www.gernot-keller.com/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Almería is a city in Andalusia, situated in the southeast of Spain on the Mediterranean Sea. It is the capital of the province of the same name. Almería originated with the need for a better defence system that the Arab towns in the area had. It was Abd-al-Rahman III who founded the Alcazaba (the Citadel), which gave this city its name: Al-Mariy-yat (the Watchtower). One of Al...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Dubai Media City entrance sign © Hicham-ix/cc-by-sa-4.0
The Dubai Media City (DMC)

Dubai Media City (DMC), part of Dubai Holding, is a tax-free zone within Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It's located next...

© Artur Szeja/cc-by-2.5-pl
The Dar Pomorza

The Dar Pomorza is a Polish full-rigged sailing ship built in 1909 which is preserved in Gdynia as a museum...

© Susanne Bollinger/cc-by-sa-4.0
The Gran Teatro de La Habana Alicia Alonso on Cuba

The Gran Teatro de La Habana Alicia Alonso (English: "Great Theatre of Havana Alicia Alonso") is located in the Paseo...

Schließen