Graben in Vienna

Thursday, 28 December 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Shopping
Reading Time:  5 minutes

© Derzsi Elekes Andor/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Derzsi Elekes Andor/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Graben is one of the most famous squares in Vienna‘s first district, the city center. It begins at Stock-im-Eisen-Platz next to the Palais Equitable, and ends at the junction of Kohlmarkt and Tuchlauben. Another street in the first district is called Tiefer Graben (deep ditch). It is crossed by Wipplinger Straße by means of the Hohe Brücke, a bridge about 10 meters (33 ft) above street level. Today the Graben is one of the most important promenades and shopping streets in Vienna.

The Graben traces its origin back to the old Roman encampment of Vindobona. The south-western wall of the settlement extended along the length of the present-day Graben and Naglergasse; before the wall lay a trench (Graben). This trench still stood in front of the medieval city walls. At the end of the 12th century, the city was enlarged by the Babenberg Dukes, who also filled in and leveled the trench. This was funded by the ransom money collected from Richard the Lionheart. The Graben thereby became one of the first residential streets in the new section of the city. In this area of the city, large unbuilt areas were still available, which probably contributed to the maintenance of the name “Graben” up until the present day.

© Leonhard Lenz Plague Column © Thomas Ledl/cc-by-sa-3.0-at © C.Stadler/Bwag/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Derzsi Elekes Andor/cc-by-sa-4.0 © C.Stadler/Bwag/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Gryffindor/cc-by-sa-2.5
<
>
Plague Column © Thomas Ledl/cc-by-sa-3.0-at
The Graben has served as a marketplace from the very beginning. Already in 1295, shortly after the Graben was first named in documents, a fruit dealer was mentioned. The selling of cabbage began around 1320, and other vegetables were introduced around a hundred years later. These products lent the Graben the additional names of Grüner Markt and Kräutermarkt. Beginning in the 14th century, flour and bread sellers are also mentioned. In 1442 the bakers were granted permission to sell their own wares. The so-called Brotbänke, which the bakers were required to rent, originated on the Graben. The Paternostergässchen was occupied by the Paternosterer, makers of rosaries. Beginning in 1424, butchers are also mentioned in treasury documents, which strictly regulate their opening hours. According to a decree issued in 1564 by Ferdinand I, the butchers were to be moved on account of their offensive smell, but the law did not meet with full compliance. In the 18th century the commercial activity was pushed increasingly into the outlying buildings, and in 1753 the last-remaining market (the vegetable market) was shut down.

On account of its location and size the Graben was particularly suitable for festival processions. Fronleichnamsprozessionen (processions on the occasion of the Feast of Corpus Christi) are first mentioned in 1438, but probably took place even earlier. With the arrival of Protestantism, these processions played a particularly important role in the demonstration of Catholic faith. During the era of Emperor Charles VI, daily masses were held at the Pestsäule. In the 18th century processions took place nearly every week, but this was curtailed by Empress Maria Theresa. Finally, Emperor Joseph II forbade all processions save the Corpus Christi. The Graben also served as a site for triumphal processions, in particular for the arrival of Archdukes and Emperors. It is known to have also been the site of the public displays of homage, at which the notables demonstrated their reverence for the rulers. Such displays are first mentioned in 1620, in the era of Emperor Ferdinand II.

Read more on grabenwien.at and Wikipedia Graben (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Veneto - Schio

Theme Week Veneto - Schio

[caption id="attachment_153103" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Piazza Alessandro Rossi © Puscas Vadim/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Schio is a town and comune in the province of Vicenza situated North of Vicenza and East of the Lake of Garda. It is surrounded by the Little Dolomites (Italian Prealps) and Mount Pasubio. By the 12th century Schio had become an important centre of prosperous wool manufacturing. The city was ruled by the Venetian Maltraversi family until 1311. Schio is now an industrial town than...

[ read more ]

Lille, capital of Flanders

Lille, capital of Flanders

[caption id="attachment_151815" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Entrance to Vauban Citadelle © Mary Poppins[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lille is a city in northern France (French Flanders). It is the principal city of the Lille Métropole, the fourth-largest metropolitan area in the country behind those of Paris, Lyon and Marseille. Lille is situated on the Deûle River, near France's border with Belgium. It is the capital of the Nord-Pas de Calais region and the prefecture of the Nord department. The city of Lille, whic...

[ read more ]

Diamond District in New York City

Diamond District in New York City

[caption id="attachment_162986" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © ChrisRuvolo/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]47th Street is an east-west running street between First Avenue and the West Side Highway in the borough of Manhattan in New York City. Traffic runs one way along the street, from east to west, starting at the headquarters of the United Nations. The street features the Diamond District in a single block (where the street is also known as Diamond Jewelry Way) and also courses through Times Square. The portion of ...

[ read more ]

Kitty Hawk on the Outer Banks

Kitty Hawk on the Outer Banks

[caption id="attachment_150974" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kitty Hawk Airfield © Wusel007/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kitty Hawk is a town in Dare County, North Carolina, and is a part of what is known as North Carolina's Outer Banks. The population is at 3,300. It was established in the early 18th century as Chickahawk. The Kitty Hawk Life-Saving Station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Kitty Hawk became world-famous after the Wright brothers made the first controlled pow...

[ read more ]

Latin Quarter of Paris

Latin Quarter of Paris

[caption id="attachment_163546" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Crossing of Rue Mouffetard and Rue de l'Arbalète © LPLT/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Latin Quarter of Paris (French: Quartier latin) is an area in the 5th and the 6th arrondissements of Paris. It is situated on the left bank of the Seine, around the Sorbonne. The area gets its name from the Latin language, which was once widely spoken in and around the University since Latin was the language of learning in the Middle Ages in Europe. Known fo...

[ read more ]

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

[caption id="attachment_154244" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Orangery and teahouse © Lucas Friese/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Altenburg is a city in Thuringia, located 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of Leipzig, 90 kilometres (56 miles) west of Dresden and 100 kilometres (62 miles) east of Erfurt. It is the capital of the Altenburger Land district and part of a polycentric old-industrial textile and metal production region between Gera, Zwickau and Chemnitz with more than 1 million inhabitants, while the city itse...

[ read more ]

Bundeswehr Military History Museum

Bundeswehr Military History Museum

[caption id="attachment_161274" align="aligncenter" width="590"] MHM Dresden © Kolossos[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Bundeswehr Military History Museum (German: Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr) is the military museum of the German Armed Forces, the Bundeswehr, and one of the major military history museums in Germany. The museum is under the technical and administrative chain of command of the German Armed Forces Military History Research Office. It is located in a former military arsenal in the Albertstadt neighborh...

[ read more ]

Dunmore Pineapple in Airth

Dunmore Pineapple in Airth

[caption id="attachment_26757" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © giannandrea[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Dunmore Pineapple, a folly ranked "as the most bizarre building in Scotland", stands in Dunmore Park, approximately one kilometre northwest of Airth and the same distance south of Dunmore in the Falkirk council area. Dunmore Park, the ancestral home of the Earls of Dunmore, includes a large country mansion, Dunmore House, and grounds which contain, among other things, two large walled gardens. Walled gardens were ...

[ read more ]

EU Global Gateway

EU Global Gateway

[caption id="attachment_233636" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © European Commission/cc-by-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Global Gateway Initiative is a worldwide strategy by the European Union to invest in infrastructure projects and establish economic partnerships, based on certain principles. The project was initiated by the EU Commission, under the leadership of Ursula von der Leyen. It is part of the current plans for European strategic autonomy, and establishing bigger, more democratic and more sustainable trade netw...

[ read more ]

Spitsbergen in the Arctic Ocean

Spitsbergen in the Arctic Ocean

[caption id="attachment_152964" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Longyearbyen colourful homes - Svalbard Global Seed Vault © Peter Vermeij[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Svalbard is an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean, constituting the northernmost part of Norway. Located north of mainland Europe, it is about midway between mainland Norway and the North Pole. Spitsbergen is the largest island, followed by Nordaustlandet and Edgeøya. The administrative center is Longyearbyen, and other settlements, in addition to research outposts, a...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Francescodiciancia/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Basilicata – Bernalda

Bernalda (Metapontino: Vernàlle or Bernàlle) is a town and comune in the province of Matera, in the Southern Italian region...

Rembrandt statue and the sculptures of 'The Night Watch' at the Rembrandtplain in Amsterdam © Hippolyte/cc-by-sa-3.0
Portrait: Rembrandt van Rijn, Dutch Golden Age painter, printmaker, and draughtsman

Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn, usually simply known as Rembrandt, was a Dutch Golden Age painter, printmaker, and draughtsman. An innovative...

Piazza Orazio Flacco © Roberto Strafella/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Basilicata – Venosa

Venosa is a town and comune in the province of Potenza, in the southern Italian region of Basilicata, in the...

Close