The Fullerton Hotel Singapore

Wednesday, 20 May 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Hotels

© Sengkang

© Sengkang

The Fullerton Hotel Singapore is a five-star luxury hotel located near the mouth of the Singapore River, in the Downtown Core of the Central Area, Singapore. It was originally known as the Fullerton Building, and also as the General Post Office Building. The address is 1 Fullerton Square. The Fullerton Building was named after Robert Fullerton, the first Governor of the Straits Settlements (1826–1829). Commissioned in 1924 as part of the British colony‘s centennial celebrations, the building was designed as an office building by Major P.H. Keys of Keys & Dowdeswell, a Shanghai firm of architects, which won the project through an architectural design competition. The architectural firm also designed the Capitol Theatre, its adjoined Capitol Building and the Singapore General Hospital.

The northern end of the building covers the site of Fort Fullerton, a fort built in 1829 to defend the settlement against any naval attacks. The fort consisted of an Artillery Barrack, a house for the officers, barracks for soldiers and a 68-pounder gun guarding the entrance to the river which used to stand on the location known as Fullerton square. In 1843, the fort was extended after a sandstone monolith, the Singapore Stone, with an inscription possibly dating back to the 13th century was demolished. The Singapore stone was, unfortunately, destroyed by the British. A fragment of this monolith was salvaged and preserved in the collection of the National Museum at Stamford Road. However, there were several criticisms as well as apprehensions regarding the building of Fort Fullerton. Merchants thought that it was a waste to use the prime location of the city for military instead of trading purpose, which would have prevented Singapore from generating more revenue and boosting its trading business. They were also worried that they would be in the direct line of fire if there were any attacks on the fort because the offices along the Singapore River were situated in close proximity to the fort. The fort was also said to be incapable of deterring any potential attacks from the sea, and had very low efficacy. Following these criticisms, the fort was finally demolished in 1873. The fort gave way to the first General Post Office and the Exchange Building in 1874. Plans to erect Fullerton Building were drawn up in 1920. However, due to a lack of funds, construction only began in February 1924. During the initial groundwork, excavations revealed the gun casements of the old Fort Fullerton. In fact, the Fullerton Building was built over reclaimed land. Built at a cost of $4.1 million and after delays of a few months, the building was completed in June 1928.

The exclusive Singapore Club rents premises on the upper floors of the building to provide for their members’ need and comfort. It only allowed entry to top European tycoons and British civil servants. There were rooms where members dined, lounged, conferred, and played billiards and cards. Bedrooms on the attic storey provide accommodation for members. When the Economic Development Board (EDB) was formed in 1961, it evicted the Singapore Club from the Fullerton Building. Subsequently, the Singapore Club relocated to Clifford House at Collyer Quay and then to Straits Trading Building on Battery Road near Boat Quay, vacating Fullerton Building for use by EDB and more government offices.

© Bob T/cc-by-sa-4.0 © flickr.com - Erwin Soo/cc-by-2.0 © Marcin Konsek/cc-by-sa-4.0 The_Fullerton_Hotel_Singapore-Sengkang © Basile Morin/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
© flickr.com - Erwin Soo/cc-by-2.0
In 1997, Sino Land (Hong Kong) Company Ltd, a sister company of Far East Organization, acquired the Fullerton Building from the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA). It spent close to another S$300 million converting Fullerton Building into a hotel and building the two-storey commercial complex One Fullerton opposite Fullerton Road. Renovation works on the Fullerton Building were completed on 8 December 2000. The Fullerton Hotel Singapore was officially opened by then Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong on 1 January 2001. The site, sandwiched between the Civic District and the central business district, was sold together with an underpass and the seafront site on which One Fullerton now stands for S$110 million. The two are linked by an air-conditioned underground pedestrian walkway with travellators. To ensure that the historical Fullerton Building continues to be visible from Marina Bay, URA specified a low building height for One Fullerton across the road. This also ensured that guests at The Fullerton Hotel would have unobstructed views of the sea. The Fullerton Building restoration project from 1998 to 2000 was a difficult conservation project that involved an institutional building. Architects 61, together with DP Consultants, was engaged to convert it into a 400-room luxury hotel. The hotel rooms were designed by Hirsch Bedner Associates. During its redevelopment, the historical building had most of its special architectural features retained and restored. The conservation work was coordinated by the URA, which had certain stipulations that the new owners had to comply with. Several features of the original building had to be restored faithfully. These included the General Post Office gallery area on the ground floor, with bays that corresponded with the building’s towering Doric columns on the façade, and the Straits Club Billiard Room. The post office gallery no longer exists, but has been subdivided to provide a bar, a restaurant and the hotel foyer. The Straits Club Billiard Room was kept, but without its wood panelling.

The building was officially gazetted on December 7, 2015, as Singapore’s 71st national monument, by the country’s National Heritage Board (NHB). With its new status, the building will be preserved under the Preservation of Monuments Act. The former Fullerton Building is one of three icons to be given the national monument status this year. The other two are Jurong Town Hall and Istana Kampong Glam. The Fullerton Hotel Singapore has 400 rooms and suites which either overlook the atrium courtyard, or face downtown Singapore‘s skyline, the Singapore River promenade or the Marina Bay. The hotel has a 25-metre outdoor infinity swimming pool, fitness centre and a luxury spa. It also has five food and beverage outlets. For business travellers, the hotel has a 24-hour financial centre with the Bloomberg Professional service that provides financial reports and world news, and 15 meeting rooms equipped with conference facilities.

Read more on The Fullerton Hotel Singapore and Wikipedia The Fullerton Hotel Singapore (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Palm Beach in Florida

Palm Beach in Florida

[caption id="attachment_162496" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Michael Kagdis - Proper Media Group/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Town of Palm Beach is an incorporated town in Palm Beach County in Florida. The Intracoastal Waterway separates it from the neighboring cities of West Palm Beach and Lake Worth. In 2000, Palm Beach had a year-round population of 10,500, with an estimated seasonal population of 30,000. Many of Palm Beach's residents are affluent. The town's affluence and its "abundance of pleasures" an...

[ read more ]

Baracoa near the eastern tip of Cuba

Baracoa near the eastern tip of Cuba

[caption id="attachment_163600" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sunset at the Bay of Honey © Paul Postiaux/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Baracoa is a municipality and city in Guantánamo Province near the eastern tip of Cuba. It was discovered by Admiral Christopher Colombus on November 27, 1492, and then founded by the first governor of Cuba, the Spanish conquistador Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar in August 15, 1511. It is the oldest Spanish settlement in Cuba and was its first capital (the basis for its nickname Ciuda...

[ read more ]

The superyacht Christina O

The superyacht Christina O

[caption id="attachment_152817" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Christina O at Canary Wharf, London © Amy Reynolds/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Christina O is a private motor yacht. She was originally a Canadian anti-submarine River-class frigate called HMCS Stormont and was launched in 1943. She served as a convoy escort during the Battle of the Atlantic and was present at the D-Day landings. After the end of the Second World War she was one of many surplus naval vessels; Greek shipowner Aristotle Onassis purchased ...

[ read more ]

Limassol on Cyprus

Limassol on Cyprus

[caption id="attachment_160804" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Agora Square © Tech bro/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Limassol is the second-largest city in Cyprus. Limassol municipality has a population of 101,000, while the metropolitan area has a population of 184,000. It is the largest city in geographical size, and Limassol municipality is the largest and most populous on the island. The city is located on Akrotiri Bay on the island's southern coast, and it is the capital of Limassol District, which has a populat...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Crimea - Feodosia

Theme Week Crimea - Feodosia

[caption id="attachment_153614" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Feodosia Bay © Victor Korniyenko/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Feodosia is a port and resort, a town of regional significance in Crimea on the Black Sea coast. Feodosia serves as the administrative center of Feodosia municipality, one of the regions Crimea is divided into. During much of its history the city was known as Caffa or Kaffa. The population is at 69,000. The city was founded as Theodosia by Greek colonists from Miletos in the 6th centur...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Munich - Shopping and nightlife

Theme Week Munich - Shopping and nightlife

[caption id="attachment_153427" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Schlaier[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Besides several Shopping Centres and Major Shopping Areas which you find across the city area, especially in Schwabing and in the inner city you will find a lot of possibilities to exchange your hard earned money easily and in every dimension against products of any kind. Here you will find some hints and ideas for Shopping "Typical Munich". It's fun to stroll shops around the Marienplatz, Maximilianstraße, at the Viktualienma...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Channel Islands - Guernsey

Theme Week Channel Islands - Guernsey

[caption id="attachment_151201" align="aligncenter" width="590"] QE2 Marina - St. Peter Port © Steve Neville[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Bailiwick, as a governing entity, embraces not only all 10 parishes on the Island of Guernsey, but also the islands of Herm, Jethou, Burhou, and Lihou and their islet possessions. The Bailiwick of Guernsey also administers some aspects of two nearby crown dependencies (Alderney and Sark), and the island of Brecqhou. Although its defence is the responsibility of the United Kingdom, th...

[ read more ]

Hotel Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne

Hotel Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne

[caption id="attachment_205898" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Michelle Walz Eriksson/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Beau-Rivage Palace is a historical luxury five-star hotel in Lausanne, Switzerland. It is located in Ouchy, on the shores of Lake Léman. The hotel opened in 1861 and the current main building was constructed in Art Nouveau and neo-baroque style in 1908. It is registered in the Swiss Inventory of Cultural Property of National and Regional Significance. The Beau-Rivage Palace is owned by ...

[ read more ]

Moulins in Auvergne

Moulins in Auvergne

[caption id="attachment_160785" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Moulins and Cathedral © Alphanumeric[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Moulins is a commune in central France, capital of the Allier department. Among its many tourist attractions are the Maison Mantin the Anne de Beaujeu Museum. Moulins is located on the banks of the Allier River. Moulins-Montbeugny Airport is a small airport located near Moulins. Before the French Revolution, Moulins was the capital of the province of Bourbonnais and the seat of the Dukes of Bou...

[ read more ]

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2012

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2012

[caption id="attachment_6597" align="alignleft" width="266"] Photo: Thomas Widerberg © The Nobel Foundation 2007. Nobel Prize® and the Nobel Prize® media design mark are the registered trademarks of the Nobel Foundation.©[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2012 is to be awarded to the European Union (EU). The union and its forerunners have for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe. ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© Cecil/cc-by-sa-3.0
SpåraKoff in Helsinki

SpåraKoff is a HM V type tram converted into a bar in Helsinki, Finland. Known as the pub tram, the...

The Emancipation room housing the Dreyfus Archives Fund © Musée d'art et d'histoire du Judaïsme/cc-by-sa-4.0
Museum of Jewish Art and History in Paris

The Museum of Jewish Art and History (French: Musée d’Art et d’Histoire du Judaïsme or mahJ) is the largest French...

Inner Alster © panoramio.com - www.fleno.de/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Alster in Hamburg

The Alster is a right tributary of the Elbe river in Northern Germany. It has its source near Henstedt-Ulzburg, Schleswig-Holstein,...

Schließen