Muskau Park

Friday, 14 January 2022 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Museums, Exhibitions, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, UNESCO World Heritage
Reading Time:  2 minutes

New Castle © Jochen Sievert/cc-by-sa-4.0

New Castle © Jochen Sievert/cc-by-sa-4.0

Muskau Park (German: Muskauer Park, officially: Fürst-Pückler-Park Bad Muskau; Polish: Park Mużakowski) is a landscape park in the Upper Lusatia region of Germany and Poland. It is the largest and one of the most famous English gardens in Central Europe, stretching along both sides of the German–Polish border on the Lusatian Neisse. The park was laid out from 1815 onwards at the behest of Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau (1785–1871), centered on his Schloss Muskau residence.

The park covers 3.5 square kilometers (860 acres) of land in Poland and 2.1 km² (520 acres) in Germany. It extends on both sides of the Neisse, which constitutes the border between the countries. The 17.9 km<² (6.9 sq mi; 4,400 acres) buffer zone around the park encompassed the German town Bad Muskau in the West and Polish Łęknica in the East. While Muskau Castle is situated west of the river, the heart of the park is the partially wooded raised areas on the east bank called The Park on Terraces. In 2003 a pedestrian bridge spanning the Neisse was rebuilt to connect both parts.

On July 2, 2004, UNESCO added the park to its World Heritage List, as an exemplary example of cross-border cultural collaboration between Poland and Germany. It was added to the list on two criteria: for breaking new ground in terms of development towards the ideal man-made landscape, and for its influence on the development of landscape architecture as a discipline. The park also stands as one of Poland’s official Historic Monuments, as designated May 1, 2004, and tracked by the National Heritage Board of Poland.

Old and New Castle © Jörg Blobelt/cc-by-sa-4.0 Old Castle © Olebole/cc-by-sa-3.0 Muskau Park © Kora27/cc-by-sa-4.0 Neisse river in Muskau Park © 32X/cc-by-sa-3.0 New Castle © Hedwig Storch/cc-by-sa-3.0 New Castle © Jochen Sievert/cc-by-sa-4.0 New Castle © X-Weinzar/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Old and New Castle © Jörg Blobelt/cc-by-sa-4.0
A fortress on the Neisse at Muskau was first mentioned as early as the 13th century under the rule of Margrave Henry III of Meissen. The founder of the adjacent park was Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau (1785-1871), the author of the influential Remarks on Landscape Gardening and owner of the state country of Muskau from 1811. After prolonged studies in England, in 1815 during the time when the northeastern part of Upper Lusatia fell to Prussia, he laid out the Park. As time went by, he established an international school of landscape management in Bad Muskau and outlined the construction of an extensive landscape park which would envelop the town “in a way not done before on such a grand scale”. The works involved remodelling the Baroque “Old Castle” – actually a former castle gate – and the construction of a Gothic Revival chapel, an English cottage, several bridges, and an orangery designed by Friedrich Ludwig Persius. Pückler reconstructed the medieval fortress as the “New Castle”, the compositional centre of the park, with a network of paths radiating from it and a pleasure ground influenced by the ideas of Humphry Repton, whose son John Adey worked at Muskau from 1822 on. The extensions went on until 1845, when Pückler because of his enormous debts was constrained to sell the patrimony. The next year it was acquired by Prince Frederick of the Netherlands, who employed Eduard Petzold, Pückler’s disciple and a well-known landscape gardener, to complete his design. Upon his death in 1881, he was succeeded by his daughter Princess Marie, who sold the estates to the Arnim family.

During the Battle of Berlin, both castles were levelled and all four bridges across the Neisse were razed. Count von Arnim-Muskau was dispossessed by the Soviet Military Administration in Germany and since the implementation of the Oder-Neisse line in 1945, the park has been divided by the state border between Poland and Germany, with two thirds of it on the Polish side. Not until the 1960s did the authorities gradually accept the legacy of the “Junker” Prince Pückler. The Old Castle was rebuilt by the East German administration in 1965–1972, while the New Castle and the bridges are still being restored. The Englische Brücke (“English Bridge”) across the River Neisse has been repaired and was rededicated on 17 October 2011, after having been demolished with explosives in 1945. After the Revolutions of 1989 the German and Polish administration joined forces in the redevelopment of the park ensemble. Since Poland entered the Schengen Area in 2007, visitors may freely explore both parts of the park without border checks.

Read more on Muskau Park und Wikipedia Muskau Park (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Chester in North West England

Chester in North West England

[caption id="attachment_153077" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Northgate Street © geograph.org.uk - John Firth/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Chester, is a city in Cheshire, England. Lying on the River Dee, close to the border with Wales, it is home to 119,000 inhabitants, and is the largest and most populous settlement of the wider unitary authority area of Cheshire West and Chester, which had a population of 328,100. Chester was granted city status in 1541. A considerable amount of land in Chester is owned b...

[ read more ]

Steak frites

Steak frites

[caption id="attachment_241923" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - LWY/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Steak frites, meaning "steak [and] fries" in French, is a dish consisting of steak paired with French fries. It is commonly served in European brasseries, and is considered by some to be the national dish of Belgium, which claims to be the place of its invention. Historically, the rump steak was commonly used for this dish. More typically at the present time, the steak is an entrecôte also called rib ...

[ read more ]

Hyde Park, the Heart of the Hudson Valley in the State of New York

Hyde Park, the Heart of the Hudson Valley in the State of New York

[caption id="attachment_221115" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Culinary Institute of America - Roth Hall and Colavita Center for Italian Food and Wine © Pascal Auricht[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hyde Park is a town in Dutchess County, New York, bordering the Hudson River north of Poughkeepsie. Within the town are the hamlets of Hyde Park, East Park, Staatsburg, and Haviland. The Hudson River defines the west town line, which is the border with Ulster County. Hyde Park is bordered by the town of Poughkeepsie to the south, Rhine...

[ read more ]

Oceanside in California

Oceanside in California

[caption id="attachment_152261" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Oceanside Pier © Bill Newman[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Oceanside is a coastal city located on California's South Coast. It is the third-largest city in San Diego County, California. The city had a population of 183,000. Together with Carlsbad and Vista, it forms a tri-city area. Oceanside is located just south of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton. Originally inhabited by Native Americans, the first European explorers arrived in 1769. Spanish missionaries un...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Kazakhstan - Aktau

Theme Week Kazakhstan - Aktau

[caption id="attachment_191936" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aktau Lighthouse at the Caspian Sea © AnastassiyaL/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Aktau is located on the east bank of the Caspian Sea. Its current name means "white mountain" in Kazakh, which may be due to its cliffs that overlook the Caspian. From 1964 to 1991 city was known as Shevchenko. Its former name was given due to the eponymous Ukrainian poet's period of exile in the area. It is located on the Mangyshlak Peninsula and is the capital of Mangystau ...

[ read more ]

Luhansk in Ukraine

Luhansk in Ukraine

[caption id="attachment_236277" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Hotel Ukraine © Qypchak/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Luhansk is a city in the Donbas region, eastern Ukraine. As of 2022, the population was estimated to be 397,677, making Luhansk the 12th-largest city in Ukraine. Luhansk served as the administrative center of Luhansk Oblast, before pro-Russian separatists seized control of the city in 2014 and made it the capital of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic. The Ukrainian administration was...

[ read more ]

Miami Avenue

Miami Avenue

[caption id="attachment_206188" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mary Brickell Village on Miami Avenue © Averette/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Miami Avenue is a 16.8-mile (27.0 km) main north-south street running through Coconut Grove, Brickell, Downtown, and Midtown in Miami, Florida. It is the meridian road dividing the street grid of Miami and Miami-Dade County into east and west avenues. In Brickell, Miami Avenue, is Brickell's main restaurant and nightlife avenue, with many bars, restaurants, and lounges, including ...

[ read more ]

Sandwiches

Sandwiches

[caption id="attachment_236476" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Reuben on rye Katz's Deli in New York City © flickr.com - Ernesto Andrade/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein bread serves as a container or wrapper for another food type. The sandwich began as a portable, convenient finger food in the Western world, though over time it has become prevalent worldwide. In t...

[ read more ]

Portrait: The architect and founder of the Bauhaus School Walter Gropius

Portrait: The architect and founder of the Bauhaus School Walter Gropius

[caption id="attachment_200665" align="aligncenter" width="440"] Walter Gropius in Ulm, 1955 © Hans G. Conrad - René Spitz/cc-by-sa-3.0-de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Walter Adolph Georg Gropius was a German architect and founder of the Bauhaus School, who, along with Alvar Aalto, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier and Frank Lloyd Wright, is widely regarded as one of the pioneering masters of modernist architecture. Gropius was also a leading architect of the International Style. Gropius could not draw, and was depen...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Russia - Nizhny Novgorod, the economic and cultural center of the Volga-Vyatka economic region

Theme Week Russia - Nizhny Novgorod, the economic and cultural center of the Volga-Vyatka economic region

[caption id="attachment_4859" align="aligncenter" width="590" caption="Pechersky Monastery © Bestalex"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nizhny Novgorod colloquially shortened to Nizhny, is, with the population of 1,250,615, the fifth largest city in Russia. From 1932 to 1990, the city was known as Gorky, after the writer Maxim Gorky who was born there. The city is an important economic, transport and cultural center of the Russian Federation. It is the economic and cultural center of the vast Volga-Vyatka economic region, and...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Oheka Castle and Gardens © OhekaCastle/cc-by-sa-3.0
Oheka Castle in West Hills

Oheka Castle, also known as the Otto Kahn Estate, is a hotel located on the North Shore of Long Island,...

View from Altpörtel tower towards Speyer Cathedral © Roman Eisele/cc-by-sa-4.0
Speyer in Rhineland-Palatinate

Speyer is a city in Rhineland-Palatinate in Germany with approximately 50,000 inhabitants. Located on the left bank of the river...

Christmas 3D video projected on the Cathedral © flickr.com - Guillaume Speurt/cc-by-sa-2.0
Cathedral Basilica of St Stanislaus and St Ladislaus of Vilnius

The Cathedral Basilica of St Stanislaus and St Ladislaus of Vilnius is the main Roman Catholic Cathedral of Lithuania. It...

Close