Freital in Saxony

Tuesday, 14 July 2015 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  7 minutes

© Kolossos/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Kolossos/cc-by-sa-3.0

Freital is a town in the district of Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge in Saxony, Germany. The town is situated on a small river, the Weißeritz, and is 8 kilometres southwest of Dresden. Freital is located southwest of Dresden in the Döhlen Basin, through which the Weißeritz flows from south-west to north-east. The Windberg hill, is the town’s local mountain and well-known landmark, rising about 100 metres above the valley floor. The lowest part of the town is the point where the Weißeritz enters the territory of the city of Dresden.

The two rivers, the Red Weißeritz and Wild Weißeritz, merge in Hainsberg, a district of Freital. Other tributaries of the combined Weißeritz in the Freital area are the Wiederitz, Poisenbach and smaller, mainly canalized streams like the Vorholzbach, Burgker Bach, the Birkigter Bach, the Somsdorfer Bach and the Weißiger Bach. There are no natural lakes; the tailing pond near the slag heap and the Zauckerode retention basin were both constructed in the 20th century.

Town hall © SchiDD/cc-by-sa-3.0 Schloss Burgk © Dr. Bernd Gross/cc-by-sa-3.0 King Albert monument © Ulrike Lehmann/cc-by-sa-4.0 Hope Church © Kolossos/cc-by-sa-3.0 Weißeritz © SeptemberWoman/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Kolossos/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
King Albert monument © Ulrike Lehmann/cc-by-sa-4.0
In 1743, the so-called coal mandate was passed, which gave landowners the right to mine the coal on their property. By the mid-18th century, about 30 small businesses had been founded, but due to their small size and insufficient experience they were fared poorly in the face of competition. This situation changed with the onset of industrialisation. The Kingdom of Saxony wanted its share. In 1799, the Leopold-Erbstolln pit was acuquired, followed in 1806 by the estates of Zauckerode and Döhlen, together with all the mining rights in the Potschappel coal fields. By 1822, all companies west of the Weißeritz had been added. From the many small businesses, a single, large enterprise had now been created, the “Royal Saxon Coal Company of Zauckerode” (Königlich–Sächsische Steinkohlenwerk Zauckerode). On the other side of the Weißeritz, businesses merged in 1819, when Carl Friedrich August Krebß (later Baron Dathe of Burgk) became the new owner of the manor at Burgk. He inherited five mineshafts and bought nearby coalfields. Afterwards he founded the “Baron of Burgke Coal and Iron Works” (Freiherrlich von Burgker Steinkohlen- und Eisenhüttenwerke). During this centralization of ownership, there was rapid development in technology and the related industry. The upswing was economically so significant that coal mining around the area of Plauen (Plauenscher Grund) was technically and organizationally ranked among the best in Germany for several decades, roughly until the 1870s. There were many technical innovations, such as the “wet jigger” (nasse Siebsetzer) in 1810 and the first steam engines in 1820. In 1823, coal began to be coked in Burgk and, from 1828, the first gas was produced. As a result, Burgk, became the first village in the world to have public gas lighting. In 1842, the first Saxon smelting furnace entered service. It was located in the area of Burgk iron works. In order to extract the large quantities of water from the pits, water management structures had to be built, such as the Tiefe-Weißeritz-Stolln (1800–1838) and the Tiefe Elbstolln (1817–1836).

On 1 October 1921 the villages of Deuben, Döhlen and Potschappel merged to form the town of Freital. The first discussions about such a merger had taken place at the end of the 19th century. Because no name for the new town had been accepted, there was a competition for the best name. Suggestions included “Deupodö-Stadt” (by Deuben, Potschappel and Döhlen), or “Dreistadt”. In the end, a proposal by town councillor Herman Henker to call the new town “Freital” (“free valley”) was accepted. In 1924, Freital, which had hitherto come under the district (Amtshauptmannschaft) of Dresden-Altstadt, was made an independent town within the Kreishauptmannstadt of Dresden. Since imperial times, the town developed, in the Weimar period, into a hotbed of social democracy. In the Weimar Republic, Freital was the only town in Saxony with a socialist mayor, because the Communists were not as strongly represented as in the rest of Saxony . The first mayor of Freital was Dr. Carl Wedderkopf. His term of office ran from 1921 until 1927. He was followed by Gustav Klimpel, also a Social Democrat, who held this office until 1933. Almost one in ten townsfolk are members of the SPD, which ran a large number of clubs and leisure activities and turned Freital into a “welfare island”. From 1933 to 1945, there were numerous pockets of resistance in Freital and the surrounding area. By the end of the Nazi era, almost 3000 people were in the SPD, but after the forced merger of the SPD and KPD into the SED, the new party achieved a clear majority in the first elections. SED rule, however, virtually erased memories of those early beginnings. In 1990, the SPD only won 10% of the votes. Neither is there anything left of the leisure scene shaped by those socialist works clubs.

Read more on auf Freital and Wikipedia Freital. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Karytaina in the highlands of Arcadia

Karytaina in the highlands of Arcadia

[caption id="attachment_150977" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Nochoje/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Karytaina is a village and a community in Arcadia. Karytaina is situated on a hill on the right bank of the river Alpheios, near its confluence with the Lousios. Karytaina is 54 km (34 mi) from the capital of Arcadia, Tripoli, 20 km (12 mi) from Megalopoli and 17 km (11 mi) from Stemnitsa, built on the slopes of the hill of Achreiovouni, some 550 m above sea level. The village dates back to the Middle Ages, but its his...

[ read more ]

The Jurassic Coast along the southern English Channel coast

The Jurassic Coast along the southern English Channel coast

[caption id="attachment_153787" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ammonite, embedded in a rock on the beach at Kimmeridge © Chilepine[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site on the English Channel coast of southern England. The site stretches from Orcombe Point near Exmouth in East Devon to Old Harry Rocks near Swanage in East Dorset, a distance of 155 kilometres (96 mi). Chartered in 2001, the Jurassic coast was the second wholly natural World Heritage Site to be designated in the United Kingdom. I...

[ read more ]

Tortola in the Caribbean

Tortola in the Caribbean

[caption id="attachment_154042" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Road Town © Henry A-W/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tortola is the largest and most populated of the British Virgin Islands, a group of islands that form part of the archipelago of the Virgin Islands. Local tradition recounts that Christopher Columbus named it Tortola, meaning "land of the Turtle Dove". Columbus named the island Santa Ana. The later Dutch settled and called...

[ read more ]

The Benedictine abbey Stift Melk in Lower Austria

The Benedictine abbey Stift Melk in Lower Austria

[caption id="attachment_6921" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Park © Veleius[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Melk Abbey is an Austrian Benedictine abbey, and one of the world's most famous monastic sites. It is located above the town of Melk on a rocky outcrop overlooking the river Danube in Lower Austria, adjoining the Wachau valley. The abbey was founded in 1089 when Leopold II, Margrave of Austria gave one of his castles to Benedictine monks from Lambach Abbey. A monastic school, the Stiftsgymnasium Melk, was founded in t...

[ read more ]

Research vessel and icebreaker USCGC Healy

Research vessel and icebreaker USCGC Healy

[caption id="attachment_164177" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Healy at the North Pole © USCG Academy - Petty Officer 2nd Class Cory Mendenhall[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]USCGC Healy (WAGB-20) is the United States' largest and most technologically advanced icebreaker. She is classified as a medium icebreaker by the U.S. Coast Guard. She is homeported in Seattle and was commissioned in 1999. Her motto is "Promise and Deliver". On September 5, 2015, USCGC (United States Coast Guard Cutter) Healy became the first unaccompanied Un...

[ read more ]

The steam frigate Jylland

The steam frigate Jylland

[caption id="attachment_152748" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Sebastian Nils/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jylland is one of the world's largest wooden warships, and is both a screw-propelled steam frigate and a sailship. During the Second War of Schleswig in 1864, it participated in the naval action against the Austrian-Prussian fleet in the Battle of Heligoland on 9 May 1864. Jylland along with the Niels Juel and Heimdall bested two Austrian frigates and 3 small Prussian gun boats, but were unable to mai...

[ read more ]

Shrewsbury in the West Midlands

Shrewsbury in the West Midlands

[caption id="attachment_152815" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old Shrewsbury Market Hall in the Square © Samluke777[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Shrewsbury is the county town of Shropshire, in the West Midlands region of England. Lying on the River Severn, it is a borough home to some 96,000 inhabitants, and is the primary settlement and headquarters of Shropshire Council. It is the second largest town in the ceremonial county of Shropshire, after Telford. Shrewsbury is a historic market town with the town centre having a large...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Ulster - Omagh

Theme Week Ulster - Omagh

[caption id="attachment_153146" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ardfern/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Omagh (Irish: an Ómaigh, meaning "the virgin plain") is the county town of County Tyrone. It is situated where the rivers Drumragh and Camowen meet to form the Strule. The district, which is the largest in the county, has a population of 51,000. Omagh also contains the headquarters of Omagh District Council and the Western Education and Library Board. Omagh is the main retail centre for Tyrone, as well as the West ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Uzbekistan

Theme Week Uzbekistan

[caption id="attachment_208638" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old City of Bukhara at sunset © flickr.com - Adam Jones/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Uzbekistan is a country in Central Asia. It is bordered by five landlocked countries: Kazakhstan to the north; Kyrgyzstan to the northeast; Tajikistan to the southeast; Afghanistan to the south; and Turkmenistan to the southwest. Along with Liechtenstein, it is one of only two doubly landlocked countries. As a sovereign state, Uzbekistan is a secular, unitary constitutio...

[ read more ]

Topography of Terror in Berlin

Topography of Terror in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_206229" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Manfred Brückels/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Topography of Terror (German: Topographie des Terrors) is an outdoor and indoor history museum in Berlin, Germany. It is located on Niederkirchnerstrasse, formerly Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse, on the site of buildings which during the Nazi regime from 1933 to 1945 was the SS Reich Main Security Office, the headquarters of the Sicherheitspolizei, SD, Einsatzgruppen and Gestapo. The buildings that hou...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Outrigger canoe © flickr.com - Giorgio Montersino/cc-by-sa-2.0
Diani Beach on the Indian Ocean

Diani Beach is a major beach resort on the Indian Ocean coast of Kenya (in eastern Africa). It is located...

Fort Jefferson - Dry Tortugas © U.S. National Park Service
The Florida Keys

The Florida Keys are an archipelago of 4500 islands in the southeast United States. They begin at the southeastern tip...

© flickr.com - Phillip Capper/cc-by-2.0
Port Vila on the island of Efate in the Pacific

Port Vila is the capital and largest city of Vanuatu and is located on the island of Efate. Its population...

Schließen