English Market in Cork

Friday, 11 December 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Bon appétit, Shopping
Reading Time:  4 minutes

Christmas 2017 © Dan Curran/cc-by-sa-4.0

Christmas 2017 © Dan Curran/cc-by-sa-4.0

The English Market (Irish: An Margadh Sasanach) is a municipal food market in the center of Cork City, Ireland. It stretches from Princes Street to the Grand Parade, and combines Princes Street Market and Grand Parade Market. The market is regarded for both its mid-19th century architecture and locally produced artisan food. The market has become a tourist attraction, has developed an international reputation, and has been described by chef Rick Stein as the “best covered market in the UK and Ireland”.

The term English Market was coined in the 19th century to distinguish the market from the nearby St. Peter’s Market (now the site of the Bodega on Cornmarket Street), which was known as the Irish Market. There has been a market on the present site since 1788 when it was opened as a meat shambles and known as “new markets”. Its original structure is entirely lost. The market has been rebuilt in stages, including by John Benson and Robert Walker in the mid-19th century who constructed a front range, galleried court, and extended the footprint to the south end of Princes Street. Today the market centers around a cast iron fountain, and is typically entered via either a tripartite facade on Princes Street, or a bayed entrance from the Grand Parade. The market is known for its interior; which consists of a gabled central bay, central archways, and stained glass lunette windows. It was damaged during a 1981 fire, but is now fully restored.

English Market, a fantastic food market © flickr.com - WordRidden/cc-by-2.0 Christmas 2017 © Dan Curran/cc-by-sa-4.0 Grand Parade entrance © Dylan/cc-by-sa-4.0 © geograph.org.uk - John M/cc-by-sa-2.0
<
>
English Market, a fantastic food market © flickr.com - WordRidden/cc-by-2.0
Today’s group of buildings were constructed in the mid-19th century with the ornamental entrance at Princes Street being constructed in 1862 by Sir John Benson. The market changed little over the next century or so until it was seriously damaged by fire on 19 June 1980 and had to be extensively refurbished by Cork City Council. The refurbishment work was done in sympathy with the original Victorian building’s design and won a Gold Medal from the Europa Nostra heritage foundation for conservation shortly after its completion. The refurbished market suffered a second fire in 1986 but the fire was less damaging than the first.

It is administered by Cork City Council. Since its refurbishment the market has become more multicultural, and a variety of fresh produce from around the world can be bought there. The market is still best known however for its fresh fish and butchers, and it serves many of the city’s top restaurants. It is a source of local specialities such as drisheen, spiced beef, and buttered eggs. Queen Elizabeth II visited the market during her state visit to Ireland in 2011. Charles, Prince of Wales also stopped there during his visit in 2018. Both were served by fishmonger Pat O’Connell. In 2016 and 2017, the English Market was used as a location for the film The Young Offenders and the subsequent TV series of the same name. Cork City Council and the site’s traders commended the market’s 230th anniversary in August 2018.

Read more on corkcity.ie – English Market, cork-guide.ie – English Market and Wikipedia English Market (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Samnaun, the holiday and shopping region

Samnaun, the holiday and shopping region

[caption id="attachment_160559" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Samnaun Village © Fiesch[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The former smugglers’ paradise of Samnaun located in the Swiss, Austrian and Italian triangle has developed into a holiday resort for hiking enthusiasts and mountain bike riders. In winter the cross-border winter sports region of Samnaun and Ischgl (Austria) caters for the most discerning of visitors. All year round shrewd shoppers reap the benefits of the only tax-free resort in Switzerland. In addition...

[ read more ]

Baltimore in Ireland

Baltimore in Ireland

[caption id="attachment_233550" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Superbass/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Baltimore (Irish: Dún na Séad, translated as the "Fort of the Jewels") is a village in western County Cork, Ireland. It is the main village in the parish of Rathmore and the Islands, the southernmost parish in Ireland. It is the main ferry port to Sherkin Island, Cape Clear Island and the eastern side of Roaring Water Bay (Loch Trasna) and Carbery's Hundred Isles. Although the name Baltimore is an anglic...

[ read more ]

Sendlinger Straße in Munich

Sendlinger Straße in Munich

[caption id="attachment_237712" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sendlinger Tor © GraphyArchy/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sendlinger Straße is an important shopping street in Munich's city center. It extends into the Munich old town in the south-east-northeast direction from the Sendlinger Tor in the west to the point where Fürstenfelder Straße and the Rindermarkt meet in the east. In July 2016, the conversion from a one-way street into a pedestrian zone was attempted. The Sendlinger Straße was named afte...

[ read more ]

Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap" at the St. Martin’s Theatre

Agatha Christie's

[caption id="attachment_163583" align="aligncenter" width="590"] St Martin's Theatre © flickr.com - Lisa/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Mousetrap is a murder mystery play by Agatha Christie. The Mousetrap opened in the West End of London in 1952, and has been running continuously since then. It has by far the longest initial run of any play in history, with its 25,000th performance taking place on 18 November 2012. The play is known for its twist ending, which the audience are traditionally asked not to reveal after...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Honduras - La Ceiba

Theme Week Honduras - La Ceiba

[caption id="attachment_220591" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Anarqista/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]La Ceiba is a municipality, the capital of the Honduran department of Atlántida and a port city on the northern coast of Honduras in Central America. It is located on the southern edge of the Caribbean, forming part of the south eastern boundary of the Gulf of Honduras. With an estimated population of 199,080 living in approximately 170 residential areas (called colonias or barrios), it is the fourth most populou...

[ read more ]

Sullivan's Island in South Carolina

Sullivan's Island in South Carolina

[caption id="attachment_151217" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Battle of Sullivan's Island monument © Brian Stansberry/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sullivan's Island is an American town and island in Charleston County, South Carolina, at the entrance to Charleston Harbor, with a population was 1,900. The town has a total area of 3.3 square miles (8.5 km2), of which 2.4 square miles (6.2 km2) is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) (27.11%) is water. The Ben Sawyer Bridge connects Sullivan's Island to Mount Pleasant. A b...

[ read more ]

Miramare Castle in Trieste

Miramare Castle in Trieste

[caption id="attachment_169158" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Žiga[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Miramare Castle is a 19th-century castle on the Gulf of Trieste near Trieste, northeastern Italy. It was built from 1856 to 1860 for Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian and his wife, Charlotte of Belgium, later Emperor Maximilian I and Empress Carlota of Mexico, based on a design by Carl Junker. The castle's grounds include an extensive cliff and seashore park of 22 hectares (54 acres) designed by the archduke. The grounds were...

[ read more ]

Pike Place Market in Seattle

Pike Place Market in Seattle

[caption id="attachment_233564" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pike Place Market © Daniel Schwen/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pike Place Market is a public market in Seattle, Washington, United States. It opened on August 17, 1907, and is one of the oldest continuously operated public farmers' markets in the United States. Overlooking the Elliott Bay waterfront on Puget Sound, it serves as a place of business for many small farmers, craftspeople and merchants. It is named for its central street, Pike Place, which ru...

[ read more ]

Rue des Rosiers in the Marais district

Rue des Rosiers in the Marais district

[caption id="attachment_27484" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Abxbay/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Rue des Rosiers, which means "street of the rosebushes," is a street in the 4th arrondissement of Paris. It begins at Rue Malher and proceeds northwest across Rue Pavée, Rue Ferdinand Duval, Rue des Écouffes, and Rue des Hospitalières Saint-Gervais before it ends at Rue Vieille du Temple. Rue des Rosiers lies at the center of the Jewish quarter unofficially called "the Pletzl" (Yiddish for "little place...

[ read more ]

Fiordland National Park in New Zealand

Fiordland National Park in New Zealand

[caption id="attachment_230614" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Milford Sound © Bernard Spragg. NZ[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fiordland National Park occupies the southwest corner of the South Island of New Zealand. It is by far the largest of the 13 national parks in New Zealand, with an area of 12,607 square kilometres (4,868 sq mi), and a major part of the Te Wahipounamu World Heritage Site. The park is administered by the Department of Conservation. 10,000 square kilometres (3,900 sq mi) of Fiordland were set aside ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Entrance sign to the island © Ron Van Oers/cc-by-sa-3.0-igo
Bikini Atoll in the Pacific

Bikini Atoll, sometimes known as Eschscholtz Atoll between the 1800s and 1946, is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands...

Brighton Beach © Billy Hathorn/cc-by-sa-3.0
Lower New York Bay

Lower New York Bay is a section of New York Bay south of the Narrows, the relatively narrow strait between...

© Boschfoto/cc-by-sa-3.0
Andechs Abbey in Bavaria

The Benedictine priory and erstwhile abbey of Andechs is a place of pilgrimage on a hill east of the Ammersee...

Schließen