The HNLMS Buffel

Friday, 1 October 2021 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Museums, Exhibitions, Yacht of the Month
Reading Time:  5 minutes

© S.J. de Waard/cc-by-sa-3.0

© S.J. de Waard/cc-by-sa-3.0

HNLMS Buffel is a 19th-century ironclad ram ship. She was one of the main attractions of the Maritime Museum Rotterdam, also known as the Prince Hendrik Museum, named after its founder, Prince Henry (Hendrik) “The Navigator”, who had a naval career and established the basis of the museum back in 1874. In October 2013 the ship moved to Hellevoetsluis and is again open for public.

Built in 1868 by Robert Napier and Sons in Glasgow, Scotland, HNLMS Buffel was the first ship of the Royal Netherlands Navy without sails but with a steam engine and two propellers, that gave her a maximum speed of almost 13 knots (24 km/h). Her radius of action at 6 knots (11 km/h) was about 2,150 nautical miles (3,980 km). Her main task as an armor-clad ram ship was to play a role in the Dutch coastal defense together with two sister ships and two so-called monitor ships.

Her armament was first of all the ram on her bow, mainly against wooden ships, and originally two 300-pound (140 kg), 23 cm (9 in) Armstrong guns, with a total weight of 25 metric tons, in one turret. These were later replaced by a single 28 cm (11 in) gun, and the armament was enhanced by a couple of smaller guns; two 7.5 cm (3 in), four 3.7 cm (1.5 in), and two Hotchkiss revolving cannons. The crew consisted of 150 men, officers, petty-officers, and sailors.

© Alf van Beem © S.J. de Waard/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Alf van Beem © S.J. de Waard/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Alf van Beem © S.J. de Waard/cc-by-sa-3.0 © S.J. de Waard/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Michael Staats/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Alf van Beem © S.J. de Waard/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
© Michael Staats/cc-by-sa-3.0
The ship’s only ocean voyage took place on her maiden trip in 1868 from Glasgow to Den Helder. During the voyage, the vessel rolled very much and took on a lot of water. From that day on Buffel remained in the North Sea (in accordance with her role) and her only foreign port of call was Antwerp, Belgium in 1871.

Buffel participated in many national exercises with the Royal Netherlands Army until 1894 when she was retired from active duty. This was followed by a short, two-year period as a training ship for and from 1896 she acted as a lodging or accommodation ship. She was berthed in several naval establishments in the Netherlands, the last 25 years mainly in Amsterdam. She had the (NATO) pennant number A 884 on her bow, A for Auxiliary and 8 as the first cipher for all Royal Netherlands naval ships.

In 1973 Buffel was decommissioned. In 1974, the vessel was sold to the city of Rotterdam to be modified into a museum ship. From 1979 she was opened for visitors. The ship was moved to Hellevoetsluis in 2013 in order to cut costs. Buffel arrived in Hellevoetsluis on 5 October and was moored temporarily in the brick-built Jan Blanken dry dock. This was all done on a three-year lease. On 7 February 2015 she arrived at her final berthing place at the Koningskade 2, in Het Groote Dock in Hellevoetsluis where a historic naval quarter has been developed. Positioned here are: Buffel, Bernisse, an old minesweeper, and Noord Hinder a former lightship on the North Sea. The ship is now operated by volunteers from Stichting Museumschip de Buffel.

In October 2016 Stichting Museumschip de Buffel decided not to renew the three year lease. The group of volunteers then took up the idea to try to save the historical value of the ship for the future. In co-operation with the municipal councils of Rotterdam and Hellevoetsluis, this will be tried out in the coming year 2017.

Read more on De Buffel and Wikipedia HNLMS Buffel. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The port city of Geelong

The port city of Geelong

[caption id="attachment_153604" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Waterfront © Marcus Wong/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Geelong metropolitan area is the second most populated area in the Australian state of Victoria. Located 75 kilometres (47 mi) south-west of the state capital, Melbourne, the port city is situated around Corio Bay and the Barwon River. The metropolitan area runs from the plains of Lara in the north to the rolling hills of Waurn Ponds to the south, with the bay to the east and hills to the west, an...

[ read more ]

House of Art in Munich

House of Art in Munich

[caption id="attachment_225009" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Rufus46/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Haus der Kunst (House of Art) is a non-collecting modern and contemporary art museum in Munich, Germany. It is located at Prinzregentenstraße 1 at the southern edge of the Englischer Garten, Munich's largest park. Despite being a non-collecting institution, Haus der Kunst has over the years received numerous works of art. In 2011, Haus der Kunst forged a partnership with the private Goetz Collection to co-curat...

[ read more ]

Ibbenbüren in Tecklenburger Land

Ibbenbüren in Tecklenburger Land

[caption id="attachment_160791" align="aligncenter" width="590"] City Center (Oberer Markt) © J.-H. Janßen[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ibbenbüren or Ibbenbueren is a medium-sized town in the district of Steinfurt, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is on position 185 of the largest cities in Germany and the largest city in Tecklenburger Land. Ibbenbüren (Ibbenbueren) is situated on the Ibbenbürener Aa river, at the northwest end of the Teutoburger forest and rather exactly in the center of the two cities Rheine in the wes...

[ read more ]

The Jurassic Coast along the southern English Channel coast

The Jurassic Coast along the southern English Channel coast

[caption id="attachment_153787" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ammonite, embedded in a rock on the beach at Kimmeridge © Chilepine[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site on the English Channel coast of southern England. The site stretches from Orcombe Point near Exmouth in East Devon to Old Harry Rocks near Swanage in East Dorset, a distance of 155 kilometres (96 mi). Chartered in 2001, the Jurassic coast was the second wholly natural World Heritage Site to be designated in the United Kingdom. I...

[ read more ]

Briançon in the Cottian Alps

Briançon in the Cottian Alps

[caption id="attachment_169442" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Benj05/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Briançon a commune in the Hautes-Alpes department in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region in southeastern France. It is a sub-prefecture of the department. At an altitude of 1,326 metres (4,350 feet) it is the highest city in France, based on the French definition as a community containing more than 2,000 inhabitants. Briançon's most recent population estimate is 12,00. Briançon is built on a plateau centred on ...

[ read more ]

Pellestrina in Venice

Pellestrina in Venice

[caption id="attachment_208393" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © panoramio.com - ildirettore/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pellestrina is an island in northern Italy, forming a barrier between the southern Venetian Lagoon and the Adriatic Sea, lying south west of the Lido. The island is 11 kilometres (7 miles) long and has since the eighteenth century been bounded to its seaward side by large embankments. There are four main villages: San Pietro in Volta, Porto Secco, Sant' Antonio di Pellestrina and Pellestrina, known ...

[ read more ]

Gmunden on Lake Traunsee

Gmunden on Lake Traunsee

[caption id="attachment_161114" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view of Gmunden and Ort Castle © Hannesrb[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gmunden is a town in Upper Austria in the district of Gmunden. It has 13,000 inhabitants. It is much frequented as a health and summer resort, and has a variety of goat, lake, brine, vegetable and pine-cone baths, a hydropathic establishment, inhalation chambers, whey cure, etc. It is also an important centre of the salt industry in Salzkammergut. Gmunden covers an area of 63.49 km...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Georgia - Sukhumi

Theme Week Georgia - Sukhumi

[caption id="attachment_216004" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © panoramio.com - Владимир К/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sukhumi is a city on the Black Sea coast, on the Soviet Riviera. It is the capital of the unrecognised Republic of Abkhazia, which has controlled it since the 1992–93 war in Abkhazia, although most of the international community considers it legally part of Georgia. Sukhumi's history can be traced back to the 6th century BC, when it was settled by Greeks, who named it Dioscurias. During th...

[ read more ]

Place de la République in Paris

Place de la République in Paris

[caption id="attachment_162027" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Monument de la Republique Francaise © Britchi Mirela/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Place de la République (formerly known as the Place du Château d'Eau) is a square in Paris, located on the border between the 3rd, 10th and 11th arrondissements. The square has an area of 3.4 ha (8.4 acres). It is named after the French Republic and was called the Place du Château-d'Eau until 1879. The Métro station of République lies beneath the square. Th...

[ read more ]

Earthship: Self-sufficient and sustainable living in recycling home

Earthship: Self-sufficient and sustainable living in recycling home

[caption id="attachment_153967" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Earthship Zwolle © Erik Wannee[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]An earthship is a type of passive solar house made of natural and recycled materials. Designed and marketed by Earthship Biotecture of Taos, New Mexico, the homes are primarily constructed to work as autonomous buildings and are generally made of earth-filled tires, using thermal mass construction to naturally regulate indoor temperature. They also usually have their own special natural ventilation system. E...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Stefan Fussan/cc-by-sa-3.0
Outletcity Metzingen

More than 500 premium and luxury brands in Metzingen and in the online shop have come together under the term...

Nassau welcome gateway © BrokenSphere/cc-by-3.0
Nassau on New Providence

Nassau is the capital and largest city of The Bahamas. With a population of 274,400 as of 2016, or just...

Port of Lagada © FrontierNG/cc-by-sa-4.0
Chios in der Nördlichen Ägäis

Chios is the fifth largest of the Greek islands, situated in the northern Aegean Sea. The island is separated from...

Schließen