The HMS Trincomalee

Sunday, 1 April 2018 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Tall ships, Yacht of the Month

Stern © geograph.org.uk - Ian Petticrew/cc-by-sa-2.0

Stern © geograph.org.uk – Ian Petticrew/cc-by-sa-2.0

HMS Trincomalee is a Royal Navy Leda-class sailing frigate built shortly after the end of the Napoleonic Wars. She is now restored as a museum ship in Hartlepool. Trincomalee is one of two surviving British frigates of her era—her near-sister HMS Unicorn (of the modified Leda class) is now a museum ship in Dundee. After being ordered on 30 October 1812, Trincomalee was built in Bombay (todays Mumbai) by the Wadia family of shipwrights in teak, due to oak shortages in Britain as a result of shipbuilding drives for the Napoleonic Wars. The ship was named Trincomalee after the 1782 Battle of Trincomalee off the Ceylon (Sri Lanka) port of that name.

With a construction cost of £23,000, Trincomalee was launched on 12 October 1817. Captain Philip Henry sailed her to Portsmouth Dockyard where she arrived on 30 April 1819, with a journey costing £6,600. During the maiden voyage the ship arrived at Saint Helena on 24 January 1819 where she stayed for 6 days, leaving with an additional passenger, a surgeon who had attended Napoleon at Longwood House on the island, Mr John Stokoe. After being fitted out at a further cost of £2,400, Trincomalee was placed in reserve until 1845, when she was re-armed with fewer guns giving greater firepower, had her stern reshaped and was reclassified as a sixth-rate spar-decked corvette.

Figurehead © geograph.org.uk - Ian Petticrew/cc-by-sa-2.0 © David Manley/cc-by-sa-3.0 Stern © geograph.org.uk - Ian Petticrew/cc-by-sa-2.0 Captain's cabin © geograph.org.uk - Ian Petticrew/cc-by-sa-2.0 © HDTurner/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Captain's cabin © geograph.org.uk - Ian Petticrew/cc-by-sa-2.0
Trincomalee finished her Royal Navy service as a training ship, but was placed in reserve again in 1895 and sold for scrap two years later on 19 May 1897. She was then purchased by entrepreneur George Wheatley Cobb, restored, and renamed Foudroyant in honour of HMS Foudroyant, his earlier ship that had been wrecked in 1897. She was used in conjunction with HMS Implacable as an accommodation ship, a training ship, and a holiday ship based in Falmouth then Portsmouth. She remained in service until 1986, after which she was again restored and renamed back to Trincomalee in 1992.

Now listed as part of the National Historic Fleet, following her recent restoration Trincomalee has become the centrepiece of the historic dockyard museum in Hartlepool. Trincomalee holds the distinction of being the oldest British warship still afloat as HMS Victory, although 52 years her senior, is in dry dock. Until his death in 1929, the Falmouth-based painter Henry Scott Tuke used the ship and its trainees as subject matter.

Read more on HMS Trincomalee, The Friends of HMS Trincomalee and Wikipedia HMS Trincomalee (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Scottish Borders - Hawick

Theme Week Scottish Borders - Hawick

[caption id="attachment_191809" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Dovemount Place © geograph.org.uk - Walter Baxter/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hawick is a town in the Scottish Borders council area and historic county of Roxburghshire in the east Southern Uplands of Scotland. It is 10.0 miles (16.1 km) south-west of Jedburgh and 8.9 miles (14.3 km) south-southeast of Selkirk. It is one of the farthest towns from the sea in Scotland, in the heart of Teviotdale, and the biggest town in the former county of Roxburghshire...

[ read more ]

Atlantic City in New Jersey

Atlantic City in New Jersey

[caption id="attachment_185216" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Bob Jagendorf/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Atlantic City is a resort city in Atlantic County, New Jersey, known for its casinos, boardwalks, and beaches. It has a population of 39,000. The city was incorporated on May 1, 1854, from portions of Egg Harbor Township and Galloway Township. It borders Absecon, Brigantine, Pleasantville, Ventnor City, West Atlantic City, and the Atlantic Ocean. Atlantic City inspired the U.S. version of the board g...

[ read more ]

Zell am See

Zell am See

[caption id="attachment_160602" align="aligncenter" width="590"] seen from Mitterberg Mountain © BestZeller[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zell am See is the capital city of the Zell am See district in the Austrian state of Salzburg. The city has about 10,000 inhabitants. Zell am See is a tourist destination and a transportation hub for the region. The German name "Zell am See" means "Zell by the lake". The valley of Zell is a corridor in the middle of the Austrian Alps between the Saalach and the Salzach rivers. The lake is...

[ read more ]

Antalya on the Turkish Riviera

Antalya on the Turkish Riviera

[caption id="attachment_151015" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Erencet/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Antalya is a city on the Mediterranean coast of southwestern Turkey. It is Turkey's biggest international sea resort, located on the Turkish Riviera. In 2011 the city had a population of 964,886 and the metropolitan municipality 1,041,972. The Turkish Riviera is also the home for the internationally known Blue Voyage, which allows participants to enjoy a week-long trip on the locally built gulet type schooners to an...

[ read more ]

Pauillac en Médoc

Pauillac en Médoc

[caption id="attachment_153512" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Château Batailley © CGC 1855[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pauillac is a commune in the Gironde department, Aquitaine, Médoc region in southwestern France close to Bordeaux. The town of Pauillac is the largest in the Médoc, with a population of over 5000. Pauillac is somewhat more elevated than the surrounding area, rising to a peak of nearly 30 metres above sea-level in the region of Château Pontet-Canet. The soil is gravelly, as with most of the Haut-Médoc. The...

[ read more ]

Avignon, city of the Popes

Avignon, city of the Popes

[caption id="attachment_160244" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pope Palace and Philipp Tower © Jean-Marc Rosier (de/from www.cjrosier.com + www.gordes-immobilier.com)[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Avignon is a commune in the Vaucluse department in southeastern France on the river Rhône. The city is well known for its Palais des Papes (Palace of the Popes), where several popes and antipopes lived from the early 14th to early 15th centuries. A famous theatre festival is held annually in Avignon. Founded in 1947, the Avigno...

[ read more ]

Moscow International Business Center

Moscow International Business Center

[caption id="attachment_4481" align="alignleft" width="590" caption="Moscow City © Dmitry A. Mottl"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Moscow International Business Center is a commercial district of central Moscow. Located near the Third Ring Road in Presnensky District of western Moscow, the Moscow-City area is currently under development. The Moscow IBC is expected to become the first zone in Russia to combine business activity, living space and entertainment in one single development. The Moscow government first conceived t...

[ read more ]

Bologna, the capital of the Emilia-Romagna region

Bologna, the capital of the Emilia-Romagna region

[caption id="attachment_151835" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bologna Collage © DaniDF1995[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bologna is the capital city of Emilia-Romagna, in the Po Valley of Northern Italy. The city lies between the Po River and the Apennine Mountains, more specifically, between the Reno River and the Savena River. It is the seventh largest city in terms of population and it is the heart of a metropolitan area (officially recognized by the Italian government as a metropolitan city) of about 1,000,000 inhabitants. T...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© Rastaman3000/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Azrieli Center in Tel Aviv

Azrieli Center is a complex of skyscrapers in Tel Aviv. At the base of the center lies a large shopping...

Waterford by night © geograph.org.uk - Typhoon/cc-by-sa-2.0
Theme Week Ireland – Waterford

Waterford (from Old Norse Veðrafjǫrðr, meaning "ram (wether) fjord", Irish: Port Láirge) is a city in the South-East Region and...

The Diamond Bar © geograph.org.uk - C OF'lanagan/cc-by-sa-2.0
Theme Week Ireland – Ennis

Ennis (Irish: Inis, meaning "island") is the county town of Clare in Munster. The Irish name is short for Inis...

Schließen