The Hackesche Höfe in Berlin

Saturday, 31 March 2012 - 01:18 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Berlin, General

© Times

© Times

Berlin’s Hackesche Höfe (Hof means courtyard) – just off S-Bahn Station Hackescher Markt, is a heritage site consisting of eight communicating, restored rear courtyards accessible through Rosenthalerstrasse 40’s main arched entrance. The area, also known as the Scheunenviertel is one of Berlin’s top entertainment hubs, popular with Berliners and visitors alike and a magnet for club-goers since the 1990’s.

The restoration of this heritage building completed in 1997, was a central factor in the emergence of one of Berlin’s liveliest quarters since reunification. Since the 1990s the area around Hackesche Höfe has been synonymous with the vibrant urban renewal of the New Berlin, combining a mix of business and offices, residential housing, entertainment venues, art galleries, boutiques, bars and restaurants – the unmissable urban mix of the New Berlin which emerged in the 1990s. The energy of post-unification Germany, a quest for renewal and reinvention, found expression in cutting-edge creativity in the arts and fashion and state-of-the-art design. The result is an original, new entrepreneurial spirit characterised by an exuberant convergence of life with lifestyle. The Höfe are an example of how this spirit was realised.

Historically, development of the Höfe went hand in hand with the growth of Berlin as a thriving urban centre. The expansion started around 1700 from an outer suburb known as Spandauer Vorstadt, located outside the Spandau City gate which already had its own church, the Sophienkirche as early as 1712. Friedrich Wilhelm I built a new city wall here and the former suburb became a new urban district belonging to Berlin. Today’s Hackescher Markt takes its name from the market built here by a Spandau city officer, Count von Hacke.

The influx of Jewish migrants and the exiled French Huguenots gave the district the cosmopolitan diversity which it never lost. The first synagogue was built in this area and the first Jewish cemetery established on the Grosse Hamburger Strasse. Another name for the area, the Scheunenviertel (barn district) is associated today with up and coming art galleries and the more bohemian side of Berlin. The largest synagogue in Germany was built in nearby Oranienburger Strasse in 1866.

© Schlaier © Politikaner Rosenhöfe © Politikaner © Gryffindor Chamäleon © Raimond Spekking Hackesche Höfe map © Elkawe © Times
<
>
Chamäleon © Raimond Spekking
In 1858 Hans Quiltz, a glass manufacturer acquired a licence for commercial use of the property at Rosenthalerstrasse 40 and Sophienstrasse 6. By 1905, Berlin was the most densely populated city in Europe with 2 million inhabitants. In 1907 Kurt Berndt and August Endell, a property developer and architect team took over the property. The first courtyard (HOF 1) was magnificently restored in Art Nouveau style with ceramic tiles designed by August Endell himself. The concept behind the 1990s restoration of the Höfe was in fact a renaissance of the original 20th century use of the site. The urban mix where the main areas of life, private residential space, work, entertainment and gastronomy could develop jointly in one living space has characterised this area for over a century. Amongst the Höfe’s residents before the War were, an Expressionist poets´ association in 1909: Der Neue Club, a Jewish Girl’s Club in 1916, the Imperial Cinema in 1921, a Jewish Student Canteen in 1913, wine merchants and a family department store. Jacob Michael, the Jewish owner of the property before the War, was forced into exile by the Nazis in 1933. Confiscated as a foreign asset it was only finally returned to Jacob’s legal heirs in 1993.

The SMAD (Soviet Military Administration) requisitioned the property in 1945. The building became communally resident-owned in 1951 after a tenants’ association opposed the destruction of its original Jugendstil façade by Endell. Restoration began in 1995 under a consortium including a residents’ association, private investors, local authorities, and was carried out by Berlin architects Weiss and Partner. The façade was fully modernised including the new completely new addition of the Arch at the entrance.

The main attractions are the Chamäleon Variety Theatre housed in the original wine tavern, an original ceiling from one of the banqueting rooms in the large Hackescher Hof Restaurant immediately to the left of the entrance.

Found on berlin.de – Hackesche Höfe. Read more on hackesche-hoefe.com (Geerman) and Wikipedia Hackesche Höfe. Photos by Wikipedia Commons.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Frankfort in Kentucky

Frankfort in Kentucky

[caption id="attachment_196665" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kentucky State Capitol © Seifler/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Frankfort is the capital city of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the seat of Franklin County. It is a home rule-class city in Kentucky. Located along the Kentucky River, Frankfort is the principal city of the Frankfort, Kentucky Micropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Franklin and Anderson counties. Frankfort is home to several major distilleries of Kentucky Bourbon, including th...

[ read more ]

The Russian sail training ship Kruzenshtern

The Russian sail training ship Kruzenshtern

[caption id="attachment_152997" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sail Amsterdam 2005 © Dirk van der Made[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Kruzenshtern or Krusenstern is a four masted barque and tall ship that was built in 1926 at Geestemünde in Bremerhaven, Germany as the Padua (named after the Italian city). She was surrendered to the USSR in 1946 as war reparation and renamed after the early 19th century Baltic German explorer in Russian service, Adam Johann Krusenstern (1770–1846). She is now a Russian Navy sail training shi...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Warsaw - The National Stadium

Theme Week Warsaw - The National Stadium

[caption id="attachment_153964" align="aligncenter" width="590"] National Stadium in Warsaw © Pjahr[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The National Stadium (Polish: Stadion Narodowy) is a football stadium located in Warsaw. It is used mostly for football matches and it is the home stadium of Poland national football team. The stadium has a seating capacity of 58,500 which makes it the largest association football arena in Poland. Its construction started in 2008 and finished in November 2011. It is located on the site of the for...

[ read more ]

Port Canaveral in Florida

Port Canaveral in Florida

[caption id="attachment_151423" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Disney Wonder at Port Canaveral © flickr.com - Rennett Stowe/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Port Canaveral is a cruise, cargo and naval port in Brevard County, Florida. It is one of the busiest cruise ports in the world with nearly 2.8 million multi-day cruise passengers passing through during 2010. As a deep water cargo port, it has a high volume of traffic. Over 3,000,000 short tons (2,700,000 t) of bulk cargo moves through each year. Common cargo includes ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Canary Islands - Fuerteventura

Theme Week Canary Islands - Fuerteventura

[caption id="attachment_153407" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Morro Jable © Yoshi[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]With 1,660 km² Fuerteventura is the second largest of the Canary Islands, after Tenerife. It was declared a biosphere reserve by UNESCO. The first tourist hotel was built in 1965 followed by the construction of Fuerteventura Airport at El Mattoral, heralding the dawn of a new era for the island. Fuerteventura, with its 3,000 sunshine hours a year, was placed firmly on the world stage as a major European holida...

[ read more ]

Greenwich Village in Manhattan

Greenwich Village in Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_26608" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Washington Square Park © Matthew Jesuele[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Greenwich Village, often referred to by locals as simply "the Village", is a largely residential neighborhood on the west side of Lower Manhattan in the city of New York City. A large majority of the district is home to upper middle class families. Greenwich Village, however, was known in the late 19th to mid 20th centuries as an artists' haven, the bohemian capital, the cradle of the modern LGBT mo...

[ read more ]

20 Fenchurch Street

20 Fenchurch Street

[caption id="attachment_150795" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tower Bridge and 20 Fenchurch Street © mattbuck/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]20 Fenchurch Street is a commercial skyscraper in London that takes its name from its address on Fenchurch Street, in the historic City of London financial district. It has been nicknamed 'The Walkie-Talkie' because of its distinctive shape. Construction was completed in spring 2014, and the top-floor 'sky garden' was opened in January 2015. The 34-storey building is 160 m (525 ...

[ read more ]

The medical and university town of Erlangen

The medical and university town of Erlangen

[caption id="attachment_160669" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Erlangen Castle, seat of the Friedrich-Alexander University © Selby[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Erlangen is a Middle Franconian city in Bavaria. It is located at the confluence of the river Regnitz and its large tributary, the Untere Schwabach. Erlangen has more than 100,000 inhabitants. Erlangen is today dominated by the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg and the numerous branch offices of Siemens AG, as well as a large research Institute of the Fraunhofer So...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Nottingham Montage © PawełMM
Nottingham and Robin Hood

Nottingham is a city and unitary authority in the East Midlands of England. It is located in the ceremonial county...

Richard Wagner Festival Hall on the Green Hill © rizi-online.de - Rico Neitzel
The Wagner city of Bayreuth

Bayreuth is a sizeable town in northern Bavaria, Germany, on the Red Main river in a valley between the Franconian...

Frankfurter Tor © Dnsob
The Karl-Marx-Allee in Berlin

The Karl-Marx-Allee is a monumental socialist boulevard built by the GDR between 1952 and 1960 in Berlin Friedrichshain and Mitte....

Schließen