The Place des Vosges in Paris

Monday, 15 February 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, Paris / Île-de-France
Reading Time:  4 minutes

Place des Vosges © Gryffindor

Place des Vosges © Gryffindor

The Place des Vosges is the oldest planned square in Paris and one of the finest in the city. It is located in the Marais district, and it straddles the dividing-line between the 3rd and 4th arrondissements of Paris. Originally known as the Place Royale, the Place des Vosges was built by Henri IV from 1605 to 1612. A true square (140 m × 140 m), it embodied the first European program of royal city planning. It was built on the site of the Hôtel des Tournelles and its gardens: at a tournament at the Tournelles, a royal residence, Henri II was wounded and died. Catherine de’ Medici had the Gothic complex demolished, and she removed to the Louvre Palace.

Before the square was completed, Henri IV ordered the Place Dauphine to be laid out. Within a mere five-year period the king oversaw an unmatched building scheme for the ravaged medieval city: additions to the Louvre Palace, the Pont Neuf, and the Hôpital Saint Louis as well as the two royal squares.

Place des Vosges © Alno/cc-by-sa-3.0 Pavillon de Reine © Beckstet/cc-by-sa-3.0 Place des Vosges © Gryffindor Place des Vosges © flickr.com - Tim Schapker/cc-by-2.0 Place des Vosges © AlNo/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Place des Vosges © flickr.com - Tim Schapker/cc-by-2.0
The Place des Vosges, inaugurated in 1612 with a grand carrousel to celebrate the wedding of Louis XIII and Anne of Austria, is the prototype of all the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the housefronts were all built to the same design, probably by Baptiste du Cerceau, of red brick with strips of stone quoins over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. The steeply-pitched blue slate roofs are pierced with discreet small-paned dormers above the pedimented dormers that stand upon the cornices. Only the north range was built with the vaulted ceilings that the “galleries” were meant to have. Two pavilions that rise higher than the unified roofline of the square center the north and south faces and offer access to the square through triple arches. Though they are designated the Pavilion of the King and of the Queen, no royal personage has ever lived in the aristocratic square. The Place des Vosges initiated subsequent developments of Paris that created a suitable urban background for the French aristocracy.

Cardinal Richelieu had an equestrian bronze of Louis XIII erected in the center (there were no garden plots until 1680). The original was melted down in the Revolution; the present version, begun in 1818 by Louis Dupaty and completed by Jean-Pierre Cortot, replaced it in 1825. The square was renamed in 1799 when the département of the Vosges became the first to pay taxes supporting a campaign of the Revolutionary army. The Restoration returned the old royal name, but the short-lived Second Republic restored the revolutionary one in 1848. Today the square is planted with a bosquet of mature lindens set in grass and gravel, surrounded by clipped lindens.

Read more on ParisInfo.com – Place des Vosges, ParisMarais.com – Place des Vosges and Wikipedia Place des Vosges (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

BIQ, the world's first building with a bioreactor façade

BIQ, the world's first building with a bioreactor façade

[caption id="attachment_153736" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © iba-hamburg.de / Splitterwerk, Graz[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Natural, efficient and unique: the BIQ is setting new standards as the first building in the world to have a bioreactor façade. Microalgae are cultivated in the glass elements that make up its “bio skin”. These are used to produce energy, and can also control light and provide shade. Inside, an innovative living concept is aimed at ensuring maximum design versatility for everyday life, and gives ...

[ read more ]

Marly-le-Roi in the western suburbs of Paris

Marly-le-Roi in the western suburbs of Paris

[caption id="attachment_151809" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Grande-Rue © Clicsouris/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Marly-le-Roi is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France region in north-central France. It is located in the western suburbs of Paris 18.4 km (11.4 mi) from the centrem, with a population of 17,000. The inhabitants are called Marlychois or less commonly Marlésiens. Marly-le-Roi is served by Marly-le-Roi station on the Transilien Paris - Saint-Lazare suburban rail line. Marly...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Burgenland

Theme Week Burgenland

[caption id="attachment_221722" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Wine cellar in Gols © Tuxoborg[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Burgenland is the easternmost and least populous state of Austria. It consists of two statutory cities and seven rural districts, with a total of 171 municipalities. It is 166 km (103 mi) long from north to south but much narrower from west to east (5 km (3.1 mi) wide at Sieggraben). The region is part of the Centrope Project. Burgenland is the third-smallest of Austria's nine states, or Bundesländer, at 3,...

[ read more ]

Theme Week East Anglia - King’s Lynn

Theme Week East Anglia - King’s Lynn

[caption id="attachment_151520" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Custom House © Alienturnedhuman[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]King's Lynn is a sea port and market town in the ceremonial county of Norfolk in the East of England. It is situated 97 miles (156 km) north of London and 44 miles (71 km) west of Norwich. The population of the town is 42,800. The town has two theatres, museums and other cultural and sporting venues. There are three secondary schools and one college. The service sector, information and communication technol...

[ read more ]

Marlborough in Wiltshire

Marlborough in Wiltshire

[caption id="attachment_152557" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Marlborough College Court © Dabbler[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Marlborough is a market town and civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire on the Old Bath Road, the old main road from London to Bath. It is reputed to have one of the widest high streets in Britain, second only to Stockton-on-Tees. The town is on the river Kennet. William II established the neighbouring Savernake Forest as a favourite Royal hunting ground and Marlborough Castle became a ...

[ read more ]

Column of Marcus Aurelius in Rome

Column of Marcus Aurelius in Rome

[caption id="attachment_235110" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Column of Marcus Aurelius © flickr.com - Rodney/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Column of Marcus Aurelius (Latin: Columna Centenaria Divorum Marci et Faustinae, Italian: Colonna di Marco Aurelio) is a Roman victory column in Piazza Colonna, Rome, Italy. It is a Doric column featuring a spiral relief: it was built in honour of Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius and modeled on Trajan's Column. Because the original dedicatory inscription has been destro...

[ read more ]

The Cutty Sark in Greenwich

The Cutty Sark in Greenwich

[caption id="attachment_150906" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Karen Roe/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Cutty Sark is a British clipper ship. Built on the Clyde in 1869 for the Jock Willis Shipping Line, she was one of the last tea clippers to be built and one of the fastest, coming at the end of a long period of design development which halted as sailing ships gave way to steam propulsion. The opening of the Suez Canal (also in 1869) meant that steam ships now enjoyed a much shorter route to C...

[ read more ]

The Carpathians

The Carpathians

[caption id="attachment_151786" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bear in Sinaia - Romania © Metastabil01[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Carpathian Mountains or Carpathians are a range of mountains forming an arc roughly 1,500 km (932 mi) long across Central and Eastern Europe, making them the second-longest mountain range in Europe. They provide the habitat for the largest European populations of brown bears, wolves, chamois and lynxes, with the highest concentration in Romania, as well as over one third of all European plant sp...

[ read more ]

Quartier du Val-de-Grâce in Paris

Quartier du Val-de-Grâce in Paris

[caption id="attachment_235426" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Church of the Val-de-Grâce - View from Rue Saint-Jacques © Poulpy/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The quartier du Val-de-Grâce is the 19th administrative district or 'quartier' of Paris, located in the 5th arrondissement of the city. Its borders are boulevard de Port-Royal to the south, boulevard Saint-Michel to the west, rue Soufflot, rue des Fossés-Saint-Jacques and rue de l'Estrapade to the north and rue Mouffetard and rue Pascal to the east. It is na...

[ read more ]

The Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela

The Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela

[caption id="attachment_223523" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bete Giyorgis © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Rock-hewn Churches of Lalibela are monolithic churches located in the Western Ethiopian Highlands near the town of Lalibela, named after the late-12th and early-13th century King Gebre Mesqel Lalibela of the Zagwe Dynasty, who commissioned the massive building project of 11 rock-hewn churches to recreate the holy city of Jerusalem in his own kingdom. The site remains in use by the Ethiopian ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Downtown Miami as seen from South Beach © Marc Averette/cc-by-3.0
Greater Downtown Miami

Downtown Miami is an urban residential neighborhood, which is based around the Central Business District of Miami. Brickell Avenue and...

Via Rodeo Drive © The American Eagle of LA~commonswiki/cc-by-sa-2.5
Beverly Hills in California

Beverly Hills is a city in Los Angeles County, California, surrounded by the cities of Los Angeles and West Hollywood....

© flickr.com - Richie Diesterheft/cc-by-2.0
The Cadillac Ranch in Texas

Cadillac Ranch is not a ranch but a public art installation and sculpture in Amarillo, Texas. It was created in...

Close