The Grand Canyon National Park

Saturday, 25 July 2015 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, UNESCO World Heritage
Reading Time:  6 minutes

Grand Canyon Skywalk © Jonas.tesch/cc-by-sa-3.0

Grand Canyon Skywalk © Jonas.tesch/cc-by-sa-3.0

Grand Canyon National Park is the United States’ 15th oldest national park. The park is located in Arizona. The park’s central feature is the Grand Canyon, a gorge of the Colorado River, which is often considered one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. The park covers 1,217,262 acres (492,608 ha) of unincorporated area in Coconino and Mohave counties.

Grand Canyon National Park was named as an official national park in 1919, but the landmark had been well known to Americans for over thirty years prior. In 1903, President
Theodore Roosevelt visited the site and said: “The Grand Canyon fills me with awe. It is beyond comparison—beyond description; absolutely unparalleled throughout the wide world… Let this great wonder of nature remain as it now is. Do nothing to mar its grandeur, sublimity and loveliness. You cannot improve on it. But what you can do is to keep it for your children, your children’s children, and all who come after you, as the one great sight which every American should see.” Theodore Roosevelt created the Grand Canyon Game Preserve by proclamation on 28 November 1906 and Grand Canyon National Monument in 1908. Further Senate bills to establish the site as a national park were introduced and defeated in 1910 and 1911, before the Grand Canyon National Park Act was finally signed by President Woodrow Wilson in 1919. The National Park Service, established in 1916, assumed administration of the park. The creation of the park was an early success of the conservation movement. Its national park status may have helped thwart proposals to dam the Colorado River within its boundaries. (Later, the Glen Canyon Dam would be built upriver.) In 1975, the former Marble Canyon National Monument, which followed the Colorado River northeast from the Grand Canyon to Lee’s Ferry, was made part of Grand Canyon National Park. In 1979, UNESCO declared the park a World Heritage Site. In 2010, Grand Canyon National Park was honored with its own coin under the America the Beautiful Quarters program.

North Rim entrance © Kamilokardona/cc-by-sa-3.0 North Rim © David Jolley/cc-by-sa-3.0 South Rim - Desert View Watchtower © John Kees/cc-by-sa-4.0 South Rim, seen from Powell Point © Tuxyso/cc-by-sa-3.0 The Colorado River as viewed from the South Rim © Akarsh Simha/cc-by-sa-3.0 Grand Canyon Skywalk © Jonas.tesch/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
The Colorado River as viewed from the South Rim © Akarsh Simha/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Grand Canyon, including its extensive system of tributary canyons, is valued for its combination of size, depth, and exposed layers of colorful rocks dating back to Precambrian times. The canyon itself was created by the incision of the Colorado River and its tributaries after the Colorado Plateau was uplifted, causing the Colorado River system to develop along its present path. The primary public areas of the park are the North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon itself. The rest of the park is extremely rugged and remote, although many places are accessible by pack trail and backcountry roads. Only the Navajo Bridge near Page connects the rims by road in Arizona; this journey can take around five hours by car. Otherwise, the two rims of the Canyon are connected via the Mike O’Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge and the Hoover Dam. The park headquarters are at Grand Canyon Village, not far from the south entrance to the park, near one of the most popular viewpoints. Park accommodations are operated by Xanterra Parks and Resorts.

The North Rim is a smaller, more remote area with less tourist activity. It is accessed by Arizona State Route 67. The South Rim is more accessible than the North Rim; most visitors to the park come to the South Rim, arriving on Arizona State Route 64. The highway enters the park through the South Entrance, near Tusayan, Arizona, and heads eastward, leaving the park through the East Entrance. Interstate 40 provides access to the area from the south. From the north, U.S. Route 89 connects Utah, Colorado, and the North Rim to the South Rim. Overall, some thirty miles of the South Rim are accessible by road. The Grand Canyon Village is located at the north end of U.S. Route 180, coming from Flagstaff. This is a full-service community, including lodging, fuel, food, souvenirs, a hospital, churches, and access to trails and guided walks and talks.

Several lodging facilities are available along the South Rim. Hotels and other lodging include: El Tovar in the village, Bright Angel Lodge, Kachina Lodge, Thunderbird Lodge, Maswik Lodge, Yavapai Lodge and Phantom Ranch, located on the canyon floor. There is also an RV Park named Trailer Village. All of these facilities are managed by Xanterra Parks & Resorts. On the North rim there is just the historic Grand Canyon Lodge managed by Forever resorts. There is also a campground near the lodge. Campgrounds are managed by the National Park staff. The Grand Canyon Association (GCA) is the National Park Service’s official nonprofit partner. It raises private funds to benefit Grand Canyon National Park by operating retail shops and visitor centers within the park, and providing educational opportunities about the natural and cultural history of the region.

Read more on nps.gov – Grand Canyon National Park, GrandCanyon.org, GrandCanyon.com and Wikipedia Grand Canyon National Park (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Tower Bridge in London

Tower Bridge in London

[caption id="attachment_219634" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Fuzzypiggy/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tower Bridge is a combined bascule and suspension bridge in London, built between 1886 and 1894. The bridge crosses the River Thames close to the Tower of London and St Katharine Docks and has become a world-famous symbol of London. As a result, it is sometimes confused with London Bridge, about 0.5 miles (0.80 km) upstream. Tower Bridge is one of five London bridges owned and maintained by the Bridge House Estat...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Ulster - Donegal Town

Theme Week Ulster - Donegal Town

[caption id="attachment_152547" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Diamond - Main Square © Kanchelskis/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Donegal or Donegal Town (Irish: Dún na nGall, English: fort of the foreigners) is a town in County Donegal. The name was historically written in English as Dunnagall or Dunagall. Donegal gave its name to County Donegal, although Lifford is now the county town. Until the early 1600s, Donegal was the 'capital' of Tír Chonaill, a Gaelic kingdom controlled by the O'Donnell Clan of...

[ read more ]

Port Royal on Jamaica

Port Royal on Jamaica

[caption id="attachment_151474" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Port Royal Cays © NASA World Wind[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Port Royal is a city located at the end of the Palisadoes at the mouth of the Kingston Harbour, in southeastern Jamaica. Founded in 1518, it was the centre of shipping commerce in the Caribbean Sea during the latter half of the 17th century. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1692 and a subsequent tsunami, and fires. Severe hurricanes have regularly damaged it. Another severe earthquake occurred in 1907...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Palestine - Nablus

Theme Week Palestine - Nablus

[caption id="attachment_171092" align="aligncenter" width="590"] An-Najah University © Guillaume Paumier/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nablus is a city in the northern West Bank, approximately 49 kilometers (30 mi) north of Jerusalem, (approximately 63 kilometers (39 mi) by road), with a population of 147,000. Located between Mount Ebal and Mount Gerizim, it is the capital of the Nablus Governorate and a Palestinian commercial and cultural center, containing the An-Najah National University, one of the largest Palestinian...

[ read more ]

Theme Week London - City of London

Theme Week London - City of London

[caption id="attachment_151765" align="aligncenter" width="590"] City of London skyline © David Iliff[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The City of London is a small area within Greater London, England. It is the historic core of London around which the modern conurbation grew and has held city status since time immemorial. The City’s boundaries have remained almost unchanged since the Middle Ages, and it is now only a tiny part of the metropolis of London, though remains a notable part of central London. It is often referred to as t...

[ read more ]

Böblingen in Baden-Württemberg

Böblingen in Baden-Württemberg

[caption id="attachment_150803" align="aligncenter" width="590"] City Square © Jessica Kemper[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Böblingen is the seat of Böblingen District. Physically Sindelfingen and Böblingen are continuous. In 1962, Böblingen was designated a Große Kreisstadt (major district town). Its current boundaries were established in 1971 when it was merged with the municipality of Dagersheim. The Protestant parish church at the market place is the landmark of the city. The church was destroyed in the Second Worl...

[ read more ]

SunCat 46 Yacht: Luxury yacht without emission

SunCat 46 Yacht: Luxury yacht without emission

[caption id="attachment_151119" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © www.solarwaterworld.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The new SunCat 46 yacht is the first large solar yacht in the world built in serial-production. The yacht, 14 m in length, combines eco-friendly technology, luxury and elegant design. The yacht was designed by Juan Carlos Espinosa and was built in collaboration with the famous yacht manufacturer Horizon. Suncat 46 offers all amenities that a high-class yacht in the 21st century can provide. The resistance and drif...

[ read more ]

Sendlinger Straße in Munich

Sendlinger Straße in Munich

[caption id="attachment_237712" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sendlinger Tor © GraphyArchy/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sendlinger Straße is an important shopping street in Munich's city center. It extends into the Munich old town in the south-east-northeast direction from the Sendlinger Tor in the west to the point where Fürstenfelder Straße and the Rindermarkt meet in the east. In July 2016, the conversion from a one-way street into a pedestrian zone was attempted. The Sendlinger Straße was named afte...

[ read more ]

Einsiedeln in Switzerland

Einsiedeln in Switzerland

[caption id="attachment_237261" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Einsiedeln Abbey © Dominik Landwehr/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Einsiedeln is a municipality and district in the canton of Schwyz in Switzerland known for its monastery, the Benedictine Einsiedeln Abbey, established in the 10th century. The village of Einsiedeln is a popular tourist destination in central Switzerland. The Benedictine Einsiedeln Abbey, located within the village, is considered one of the most important Roman Catholic pilgrimage s...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Caribbean - Saint Barthélemy

Theme Week Caribbean - Saint Barthélemy

[caption id="attachment_232749" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Starus/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Saint Barthélemy is an overseas collectivity of France in the Caribbean. It is often abbreviated to St. Barth in French, and St. Barts in English. The island lies about 30 kilometres (19 mi) south of the Caribbean island Saint Martin, and is northeast of the Dutch islands of Saba, Sint Eustatius, and the independent country of Saint Kitts and Nevis. Saint Barthélemy was for many years a French commune formi...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Dahab © B. Simpson/cc-by-3.0
Dahab on the Red Sea

Dahab is a small town situated on the southeast coast of the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt. Formerly a Bedouin fishing...

Center of Gostivar © Fazlijah/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Macedonia – Gostivar

Gostivar is located in the upper Polog valley region. It is one of the largest municipalities in the country with...

Old part of Port Townsend and Admiralty Inlet © Adbar/cc-by-sa-4.0
Port Townsend on the Pacific

Port Townsend is a city in Jefferson County, Washington. It is the county seat and only incorporated city of Jefferson...

Close