The Białowieża National Park

Wednesday, 4 April 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Environment, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, UNESCO World Heritage

Swamped forest © Lilly M/cc-by-sa-3.0

Swamped forest © Lilly M/cc-by-sa-3.0

Białowieża National Park is a National Park in Podlaskie Voivodeship, in Eastern Poland adjacent with the border with Belarus. The total area of the park is 152.2 square kilometres (58.8 sq mi). It is located 62 km (39 mi) southeast of Białystok (Poland). It is known for the protection of the best preserved part of the Białowieża Forest, Europe’s last temperate primaeval forest fragment that once stretched across the European Plain. It is home to the world’s largest population of European bison, the continent’s heaviest land animals. The border between the two countries runs through the forest, the Belovezhskaya Pushcha National Park is adjacent on the Belarus side of the border. There is a border crossing for hikers and cyclists within the forest. According to one study, the park brings in tourist revenues of about 72 million zlotys per year.

The park’s formal beginning was the Forest Reserve inspectorate established in 1921. The inspectorate was transformed into the National Park in Białowieża on 11 August 1932 by the Second Polish Republic. After World War II, the forest was divided between the People’s Republic of Poland and the Belarusian SSR of the Soviet Union. The People’s Republic of Poland reopened the Białowieża National Park in 1947. The park headquarters is in Białowieża. Currently, the park consists of three administrative units: The Protective Orłówka Precinct, the Conservation District Hwoźna and the Bison Breeding Centre (with three reserves, breeding and demonstration Bison Reserve).

Center for Nature Education © Wojsyl/cc-by-sa-3.0 Museum of Nature and Forest © Jurij/cc-by-sa-2.5 © Jacek Karczmarz/cc-by-sa-3.0 European Bison © Henryk Kotowski/cc-by-sa-3.0 Swamped forest © Lilly M/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Center for Nature Education © Wojsyl/cc-by-sa-3.0
The European bison Breeding Centre has an area of 274.56 ha which is under the landscape protection. The area comprises three breeding reserves, and the European bison Public Access Reserve. The responsibilities of the personnel of European bison Breeding Centre cover the bison’s habitat in all of the Polish part of the Białowieża Forest. The idea of creating a national park locally is about 200 years old. However, the genuine protection efforts which are being continued today are centuries older. Often called the “last untouched wilderness of Europe”, the Białowieża National Park is the only one of its kind among the 23 national parks of Poland. Its inner zone belongs to the realm of old-growth forest which has been living without much human intervention for almost 800 years. Only scientists can navigate the strictly protected area freely. Each group of tourists is limited to no more than 20 people, and the presence of an official guide is mandatory. Classic road tour leads through the southern part of the reserve area, totalling 4,747 hectares.

The headquarters are located at the Białowieża village in the Museum of Nature and Forest of the Białowieża National Park. The museum complex, built in the 1960s, occupies the place of the former palace of Polish King Augustus III, which was destroyed by the Soviet Army in July 1944. Above the roof of the museum, there is an observation tower available for tourists during the opening hours. The exhibition presents the local species of plants and animals shown through displays, but also through multimedia exhibits with the use of lighting and sound. Particularly commendable is the exhibit devoted to birds. Almost all living species in the region can be heard in audio recordings. Guides in foreign languages are available with additional fee. The waiting time for a group tour is no longer than 15 minutes. In almost every room of the museum there are computers with information on the subject in different languages. However, the tour-guides are also likely to repeat the same information for their listeners. All exhibits in the museum have been prepared professionally by scientists, with general public in mind, and therefore are recommended for visitors of all ages. At the turn of the 20th century during the Russian Partition of Poland a Palace Park was founded around the so-called Tsar‘s Palace in Białowieża. At the park, is a historic manor house from 1845 that has been refurbished. At present, it serves as the Centre for Nature Education.

Read more on Wikipedia Białowieża National Park (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Çeşme on the Aegean

Çeşme on the Aegean

[caption id="attachment_152103" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Çeşme © Brecht/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Çeşme is a coastal town and the administrative centre of the district of the same name in Turkey's westernmost end, on a promontory on the tip of the peninsula which also carries the same name and which extends inland to form a whole with the wider Karaburun Peninsula. It is a popular holiday resort and the district center, where two thirds of the district population is concentrated. Çeşme is located 85 k...

[ read more ]

Gliwice in Silesia

Gliwice in Silesia

[caption id="attachment_153376" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Castle Museum at night © Jan Mehlich/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gliwice is a city in Upper Silesia, southern Poland, near Katowice. Gliwice is the west district of the Silesian Metropolis – a metropolis with a population of 2 million. The city is located in the Silesian Highlands, on the Kłodnica river (a tributary of the Oder). Situated in the Silesian Voivodeship since its formation in 1999, Gliwice was previously in Katowice Voivodeship. ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Alsace

Theme Week Alsace

[caption id="attachment_150595" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Vineyards close to the village Kaysersberg © Floroval_fr/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Alsace is the fifth-smallest of the 27 regions of France in land area, and the smallest in metropolitan France. It is also the seventh-most densely populated region in France and third most densely populated region in metropolitan France. On 1 January 2016, the region will join Lorraine and Champagne-Ardenne to create a new region, tentatively known as Alsace-Champagne-...

[ read more ]

Islamorada in the Florida Keys

Islamorada in the Florida Keys

[caption id="attachment_161970" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ex1le/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Islamorada, a "Village of Islands," is a village in Monroe County in Florida. It is located on the islands of Tea Table Key, Lower Matecumbe Key, Upper Matecumbe Key, Windley Key and Plantation Key in the Florida Keys. The village has a total population of 6,500. The name Islamorada (Original meaning: "Island Home" after the Pinder family schooner of that name), newly nicknamed, "The Purple Isle," came from ea...

[ read more ]

Theme Week North Frisian Islands - Amrum

Theme Week North Frisian Islands - Amrum

[caption id="attachment_152911" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Norddorf Beach © Mathias Bigge/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The island is made up of a sandy core of geestland and features an extended beach all along its west coast, facing the open North Sea. The east coast instead borders to mud flats and tidal creeks of the Wadden Sea. Sand dunes are a characteristical part of Amrum's landscape, resulting in a vegetation that is largely made up of heath and shrubs. The island's only forest was planted in 1948. Amrum...

[ read more ]

Boulevard Haussmann in Paris

Boulevard Haussmann in Paris

[caption id="attachment_168829" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Boulevard Haussmann - Street sign © flickr.com - Sergio Calleja/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Boulevard Haussmann, 2.53 kilometres (1.57 mi) long between the crossings of Boulevard des Italiens / Boulevard Montmartre and Rue de Monceau / Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré from the 8th to the 9th arrondissement, is one of the wide tree-lined boulevards created in Paris by Napoleon III, under the direction of his Prefect of the Seine, Baron Haussmann. The Boulev...

[ read more ]

The Lost City of Petra

The Lost City of Petra

[caption id="attachment_6306" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Monastery Al Dier © Tom Neys[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Petra is a historical and archaeological city in the Jordanian governorate of Ma'an that is famous for its rock-cut architecture and water conduit system. Established possibly as early as 312 BC as the capital city of the Nabataeans, it is a symbol of Jordan as well as its most visited tourist attraction. It lies on the slope of Mount Hor in a basin among the mountains which form the eastern flank of Arabah ...

[ read more ]

The island of Helgoland

The island of Helgoland

[caption id="attachment_150410" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Heligoland © Sioux[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Heligoland is a small German archipelago in the North Sea. Formerly Danish and British possessions, the islands (population 1,127) are located in the Heligoland Bight (part of the German Bight) in the south-eastern corner of the North Sea. They are the only German islands not in the immediate vicinity of the mainland and are approximately three hours sailing time from Cuxhaven at the mouth of the River Elbe. In addition...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Museum of the Revolution © flickr.com - Paul Mannix/cc-by-sa-2.0
Museum of the Revolution in Havana

The Museum of the Revolution (Spanish: Museo de la Revolución) is a museum located in the Old Havana section of...

Stern © geograph.org.uk - Ian Petticrew/cc-by-sa-2.0
The HMS Trincomalee

HMS Trincomalee is a Royal Navy Leda-class sailing frigate built shortly after the end of the Napoleonic Wars. She is...

© Rastaman3000/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Azrieli Center in Tel Aviv

Azrieli Center is a complex of skyscrapers in Tel Aviv. At the base of the center lies a large shopping...

Schließen