Château de Valençay

Friday, 20 September 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks

Entry © Jean-Christophe BENOIST/cc-by-3.0

Entry © Jean-Christophe BENOIST/cc-by-3.0

Château de Valençay was a residence of the d’Estampes and Talleyrand-Périgord families in the commune of Valençay, the Indre département of France. Although geographically, it is part of the province of Berry, its architecture invites comparison with the Renaissance châteaux of the Loire Valley, notably the Château de Chambord. The manor was praised as “one of the most beautiful on earth” by George Sand, who also noted that “no king has owned a more picturesque park”. It is at an elevation of 135 m.

The château, sited at the edge of a plateau that overlooks the little Nahon river, it is the site of a Gallo Roman villa referenced as Valencia us (i.e. the domain of Valans). In the 10th and 11th C’s there was a “heavy and massive tower on the site. The earliest lord of Valencey was recorded in a donation charter from between 1026 and 1047 as Bertrand. In 1220 Gauthier, lord of Valencey was recorded to have built a feudal castle or house but it is unclear if this was addition or an extension to the tower. There are remains of the original structure buried under the courtyard.

was built on a royal scale by the d’Estampes family of financiers over a period of some 200 years. Construction started in 1540 at the behest of Jacques d’Estampes in place of the demolished 12th-century castle and was not completed until the 18th century, when the south tower was added.

The 18th century saw a rapid succession of owners, including the notorious Scottish banker John Law, who purchased the estate in 1719. Nearly a century later, in 1803, Napoleon ordered his foreign minister Charles Maurice de Talleyrand to acquire the property as a place particularly appropriate for reception of foreign dignitaries, notably Ferdinand VII of Spain and his brothers the Infante Carlos, Count of Molina and the Infante Antonio Pascual, who would spend six years in Napoleonic captivity at Valençay. The treaty providing for their release in 1813 took the estate’s name.

The period of Talleyrand’s occupancy was the golden age in the history of Valençay, with twenty-three communes reportedly administrated by the ruling prince. Undoubtedly the most celebrated of Talleyrand’s servants employed at Valençay was his chef, Marie-Antoine Carême. After Talleyrand’s death in 1838, the great statesman was buried in a small mortuary chapel in the park. His collateral descendants retained the ownership of the estate until 1952, when the male line ended. The last prince bequeathed the property to his stepson, who sold it to an association of historic chateaux in 1979.

The Princes of Talleyrand-Périgord ranked among the mediatized German nobility, by virtue of their nominal control of the duchy of Sagan in Prussian Silesia (now in Poland). On this technicality, the château was spared the German occupation during the Second World War. Having established his personal neutrality, the Duke of Sagan saw treasures from the Louvre (like the Winged Victory of Samothrace and the Venus de Milo) safely sheltered at Valençay. The actual Duke of Talleyrand-Périgord, Arnaud Henry Salas-Perez, and his sister are the actual owners of the Château as of the year of 2018.

Park wing © Manfred Heyde/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Jean-Christophe BENOIST/cc-by-3.0 © flickr.com - Francisco Antunes/cc-by-2.0 Entry © Jean-Christophe BENOIST/cc-by-3.0 Eastern facade © flickr.com - frank wouters/cc-by-2.0 Corner tower © Jean-Christophe BENOIST/cc-by-3.0
<
>
Eastern facade © flickr.com - frank wouters/cc-by-2.0
Relics of the 16th century include an outsized round tower at the western corner, capped by a dome à l’impériale, and the central block in the shape of a donjon, with a slender tower on each corner, grouped around the raking roof. Its feigned battlements are evocative of the Middle Ages, a retrospective formula stylistically derived from Chambord but somewhat vitiated by ample fenestration, including characteristic Renaissance dormers.

The exterior has withstood time and the elements remarkably well. It is clothed in classical orders: the Doric order on the ground floor, the Ionic order on the first floor, and the Corinthian order on the second. This was an innovative feature anticipating French classicism. An arcaded gallery rings the courtyard. The western wing with its Mansard roof dates from the 17th century.

Talleyrand’s château boasts one of the most advanced interiors of the Empire style anywhere. There are a hundred rooms, of which a quarter comprise Talleyrand’s apartments. A room of King Ferdinand is also shown to tourists. The western wing contains the Talleyrand Museum, formerly housed in outbuildings.

The formal French gardens, dating from the early 20th century, cover about forty hectares, not counting the area of Talleyrand’s vineyards. Llamas, peacocks, and other exotic animals kept in the park provide amusement for tourists.

Read more on Château de Valençay and Wikipedia Château de Valençay (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The sail training ship Amerigo Vespucci

The sail training ship Amerigo Vespucci

[caption id="attachment_152985" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Americo Vespucio in Venice © Celio Maielo/GFDL[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Amerigo Vespucci is a tall ship of the Marina Militare, named after the explorer Amerigo Vespucci. Its home port is Livorno in Tuscany, and it is in use as a training ship. In 1925, the Regia Marina ordered two school ships to a design by General Lieutenant Francesco Rotundi of the Italian Navy Engineering Corps, inspired by the style of large late 18th century 74-cannon ships of the line...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Miami - South Beach in Miami Beach

Theme Week Miami - South Beach in Miami Beach

[caption id="attachment_165674" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © SOBEJoe/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]South Beach, also nicknamed SoBe, is a neighborhood in the city of Miami Beach in Florida, located due east of Miami city proper between Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. The area encompasses all of the barrier islands of Miami Beach south of Indian Creek. This area was the first section of Miami Beach to be developed, starting in the 1910s, due to the development efforts of Carl G. Fisher, the Lummus Brothers, a...

[ read more ]

The Seabourn Odyssey

The Seabourn Odyssey

[caption id="attachment_191723" align="aligncenter" width="590"] in Split © Ivan T./cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Seabourn Odyssey is a cruise ship for Seabourn Cruise Line. The ship's keel was laid in early July 2007, and when it was commissioned in 2009, it was the first new ship for Seabourn in over a decade. The ship includes 11 decks with two swimming pools, six outdoor whirlpools, water sports from the marina and a private diamond showroom. About 90% of the ship's suites have private verandas. Some of...

[ read more ]

Mamula Island in Montenegro

Mamula Island in Montenegro

[caption id="attachment_168944" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Klackalica/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mamula (also known as Lastavica) is an uninhabited islet in the Adriatic Sea, within the southwestern Montenegrin municipality of Herceg Novi. Mamula is located between Prevlaka and Luštica peninsulas at the entrance to the Bay of Kotor. This small islet is of circular shape, and has 200m in diameter. It is 3.4 nautical miles (6.3 km) away from Herceg Novi. During the period of the Venetian Republic rule, the islan...

[ read more ]

The Mein Schiff 1

The Mein Schiff 1

[caption id="attachment_152809" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mein Schiff 1 at St. Georges, Grenada © Caribbeanyachtbroker[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mein Schiff 1 is a Century class cruise ship owned and operated by TUI Cruises. She was built in 1996 at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg as Galaxy for Celebrity Cruises, and renamed Celebrity Galaxy in 2008. In May 2009 she transferred to the fleet of TUI Cruises, a joint venture between Celebrity Cruises' owner Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and TUI AG. The ship was renamed...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Veneto - Bassano del Grappa

Theme Week Veneto - Bassano del Grappa

[caption id="attachment_153595" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bassano del Grappa © Mtt[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bassano del Grappa is a city and comune in northern Italy with 44,000 inhabitants. The city lies at the foothills of the Venetian Prealps, where river Brenta comes out the southern end of Canal di Brenta and flows in the lowlands at the borders of Vicenza, Treviso and Padua provinces. The original name of the town was Bassano Veneto. After the terrible battles on Mount Grappa in WWI, where thousands of soldiers lo...

[ read more ]

Chengdu, panda bear capital of the world and capital of Sichuan province in Southwest China

Chengdu, panda bear capital of the world and capital of Sichuan province in Southwest China

[caption id="attachment_23603" align="alignleft" width="590"] Tianfu Square © Fangoufang/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Chengdu, is the capital of Sichuan province in Southwest China. It holds sub-provincial administrative status. The urban area houses 14,047,625 inhabitants: 7,123,697 within the municipality's nine districts and 6,730,749 in the surrounding region. Chengdu is one of the most important economic, transportation, and communication centers in Western China. According to the 2007 Public Appraisal fo...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Qatar - The Pearl

Theme Week Qatar - The Pearl

[caption id="attachment_162893" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Dusk at the Pearl Qatar © flickr.com - Steven Byles/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Pearl-Qatar in Doha is an artificial island spanning nearly four million square metres. It is the first land in Qatar to be available for freehold ownership by foreign nationals. As of January 2015, there are 12,000 residents. Once fully completed, The Pearl will create over 32 kilometres of new coastline, for use as a residential estate with an expected 18,831 dwellings...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© D Ramey Logan/cc-by-sa-3.0
Deerfield Beach in Florida

Deerfield Beach is a city in Broward County, Florida, United States, just south of the Palm Beach County line. The...

Almost 2000 triathletes begin the 2.4-mile swim at the 2005 Ironman World Championship triathlon © U.S. Navy - Chief Journalist Deborah Carson
Ironman World Championship in Hawaii

The Ironman World Championship has been held annually in Hawaii since 1978, with an additional race in 1982. It is...

Fountain 'Four Seasons of the Year' © SiefkinDR/cc-by-sa-3.0
Alexander Garden in Moscow

Alexander Gardens was one of the first urban public parks in Moscow, Russia. The park comprises three separate gardens, which...

Schließen