Castle of Good Hope in Cape Town

Monday, 13 November 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  6 minutes

Entrance © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-4.0

Entrance © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Castle of Good Hope (Dutch: Kasteel de Goede Hoop, Afrikaans: Kasteel die Goeie Hoop) is a bastion fort built in the 17th century in Cape Town, South Africa. Originally located on the coastline of Table Bay, following land reclamation the fort is now located inland. In 1936 the Castle was declared a historical monument (now a provincial heritage site) and following restorations in the 1980s it is considered the best preserved example of a Dutch East India Company fort.

Built by the Dutch East India Company between 1666 and 1679, the Castle is the oldest existing building in South Africa. It replaced an older fort called the Fort de Goede Hoop which was constructed from clay and timber and built by Jan van Riebeeck upon his arrival at the Cape of Good Hope in 1652. Two redoubts, Redoubt Kyckuit (Lookout) and Redoubt Duijnhoop (Duneheap) were built at the mouth of the Salt River in 1654. The purpose of the Dutch settlement in the Cape was to act as a replenishment station for ships passing the treacherous coast around the Cape on long voyages between the Netherlands and the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia).

During 1664, tensions between Great Britain and the Netherlands rose amid rumours of war. That same year, Commander Zacharias Wagenaer, successor to Jan van Riebeeck, was instructed by Commissioner Isbrand Goske to build a pentagonal fortress out of stone. The first stone was laid on 2 January 1666. The fortress was partially built by slave labor. The VOC was unsure about the size of the local population groups and thus feared a revolt if they enslaved them; instead they brought in up to 60,000 enslaved people from Madagascar, Mozambique, the Dutch-Indies, and India. Work was interrupted frequently because the Dutch East India Company was reluctant to spend money on the project. On 26 April 1679, the five bastions were named after the main titles of William III of Orange-Nassau: Leerdam to the west, with Buuren, Katzenellenbogen, Nassau, and Oranje clockwise from it. The names of these bastions have been used as street names in suburbs in various provinces, but primarily of Cape Town, such as Stellenberg, Bellville.

In 1682 the gated entry replaced the old entrance, which had faced the sea. A bell tower, situated over the main entrance, was built in 1684—the original bell, the oldest in South Africa, was cast in Amsterdam in 1697 by the East-Frisian bellmaker Claude Fremy, and weighs just over 300 kilograms (660 lb). It was used to announce the time, as well as warning citizens in case of danger, since it could be heard 10 kilometres away. It was also rung to summon residents and soldiers when important announcements needed to be made.

© Discott/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Discott/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-4.0 Entrance © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Leo za1/cc-by-sa-3.0 Main building © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Discott/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Main building © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-4.0
The fortress housed a church, bakery, various workshops, living quarters, shops, and cells, among other facilities. The yellow paint on the walls was originally chosen because it lessened the effect of heat and the sun. A wall, built to protect citizens in case of an attack, divides the inner courtyard, which also houses the De Kat Balcony, which was designed by Louis Michel Thibault with reliefs and sculptures by Anton Anreith. The original was built in 1695, but rebuilt in its current form between 1786 and 1790. From the balcony, announcements were made to soldiers, slaves and burghers of the Cape. The balcony leads to the William Fehr collection of paintings and antique furniture. It was briefly home to Lady Anne Barnard, after whom one of the Castle function rooms is named.

During the Second Boer War (1899–1902), part of the castle was used as a prison, and the former cells remain to this day. Fritz Joubert Duquesne, later known as the man who killed Kitchener and the leader of the Duquesne Spy Ring, was one of its more well-known residents. The walls of the castle were extremely thick, but night after night, Duquesne dug away the cement around the stones with an iron spoon. He nearly escaped one night, but a large stone slipped and pinned him in his tunnel. The next morning, a guard found him unconscious but alive.

In 1936, the Castle was declared an historical monument (from 1969 known as a national monument and since 1 April 2000 a provincial heritage site), the first site in South Africa to be so protected. Extensive restorations were completed during the 1980s making the Castle the best preserved example of a Dutch East India Company fort.

The Castle acted as local headquarters for the South African Army in the Western Cape, and today houses the Castle Military Museum and ceremonial facilities for the traditional Cape Regiments. The Castle is also the home of the Cape Town Highlanders Regiment, a mechanised infantry unit.

Read more on Castle of Good Hope and Wikipedia Castle of Good Hope (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Mariel in Cuba

Mariel in Cuba

[caption id="attachment_201138" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mariel and Mariel Bay © Alabrada[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mariel is a municipality and town in the Artemisa Province of Cuba. It is located approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) west of the city of Havana. The town is situated on the south-east side of the Mariel Bay. The villages of La Boca, Henequen, Mojica, Quiebra Hacha, and Cabañas are the major settlements composing the municipality of Mariel. On the east side of the bay are a port, cement works and a power ...

[ read more ]

Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador

[caption id="attachment_151931" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Government House - St Johns © Jcmurphy[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Newfoundland and Labrador is the easternmost province of Canada. Situated in the country's Atlantic region, it incorporates the island of Newfoundland and mainland Labrador to the northwest, with a combined area of 405,212 square kilometres (156,500 sq mi). As of 2011, the province's population is 514,536. Approximately 92 percent of the province's population resides on the Island of Newfoundland (in...

[ read more ]

Place de la République in Paris

Place de la République in Paris

[caption id="attachment_162027" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Monument de la Republique Francaise © Britchi Mirela/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Place de la République (formerly known as the Place du Château d'Eau) is a square in Paris, located on the border between the 3rd, 10th and 11th arrondissements. The square has an area of 3.4 ha (8.4 acres). It is named after the French Republic and was called the Place du Château-d'Eau until 1879. The Métro station of République lies beneath the square. Th...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Honduras - La Ceiba

Theme Week Honduras - La Ceiba

[caption id="attachment_220591" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Anarqista/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]La Ceiba is a municipality, the capital of the Honduran department of Atlántida and a port city on the northern coast of Honduras in Central America. It is located on the southern edge of the Caribbean, forming part of the south eastern boundary of the Gulf of Honduras. With an estimated population of 199,080 living in approximately 170 residential areas (called colonias or barrios), it is the fourth most populou...

[ read more ]

Hollywood in Florida

Hollywood in Florida

[caption id="attachment_227348" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Boardwalk © Tamanoeconomico/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hollywood is a city in southern Broward County, Florida, United States, located between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. As of July 1, 2019, Hollywood had a population of 154,817. Founded in 1925, the city grew rapidly in the 1950s and 1960s, and is now the 12th-largest city in Florida. Hollywood is a principal city of the Miami metropolitan area, which was home to an estimated 6,012,331 people at the 20...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Apulia - Martina Franca

Theme Week Apulia - Martina Franca

[caption id="attachment_203938" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Piazza Plebiscito and the Cathedral © Tango71747cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Martina Franca, or just Martina, is a town and municipality in the province of Taranto, Apulia. It is the second most populated town of the province after Taranto, and has a population of 49,000. Since 1975, the town has hosted the annual summer opera festival, the Festival della Valle d'Itria. Martina Franca is located in the Itria Valley, close to the provinces of Bari and Bri...

[ read more ]

Stock Island in Florida

Stock Island in Florida

[caption id="attachment_207637" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Averette/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Stock Island is a census-designated place (CDP) & Unincorporated community on an island of the same name in the Florida Keys in Monroe County, Florida, United States. The population of the CDP was 4,410 at the 2000 census. It is located on the portion of the island south of US 1. It is supposedly named for the herds of livestock formerly kept there. Alternatively, some local historians suggest that it may be named fo...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Styria - Köflach

Theme Week Styria - Köflach

[caption id="attachment_153214" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Holy Andreas Church © Isiwal/cc-by-sa-3.0-at[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Köflach is a small city in the district of Voitsberg in Styria, at the foot of the Stubalpe mountain. The town has a population of roughly 10,000 and contains a federal stud in the village of Piber that supplies the Lipizzaner horses to the famous Spanish Riding School in Vienna. Traditionally known for its coal mining, Köflach is slowly changing from an industrial town to a center of...

[ read more ]

Da Nang in Vietnam

Da Nang in Vietnam

[caption id="attachment_201195" align="aligncenter" width="590"] L'Indochine Da Nang Hotel © panoramio.com - 嶋耕作/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Da Nang is one of the five largest cities in Vietnam including Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Haiphong, and Cần Thơ in terms of urbanization and economy. Located on the coast of the South China Sea at the mouth of the Han River, it is one of Vietnam's most important port cities. As one of the country's five direct-controlled municipalities, it is under the direct administration ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Cyclades - Sifnos

Theme Week Cyclades - Sifnos

[caption id="attachment_153475" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Artemonas © Margaritaprounia/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sifnos is an island municipality. The main town, near the center, known as Apollonia, is home of the island's folklore museum and library. The town's name is thought to come from an ancient temple of Apollo on the site of the church of Panayia Yeraniofora. The second-largest town is Artemonas (800), thought to be named after an ancient temple of Apollo's sister-goddess Artemis, located at the site...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter entrance © Karen Roe/cc-by-3.0
Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden

Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden is an 80 ha (200-acre) studio complex in Leavesden in Watford, Hertfordshire, in the East of...

Magen David Square © השמח השמח
Allenby Street in Tel Aviv

Allenby Street (Hebrew: Rekhov Allenby) is a major street in Tel Aviv, Israel. It was named in honor of Field...

© Tango7174/cc-by-sa-4.0
Plaça de Catalunya in Barcelona

Plaça de Catalunya (meaning in English "Catalonia Square"; sometimes referred to as Plaza de Cataluña, its Spanish name) is a...

Close