Castle Combe in England

Wednesday, 15 April 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Environment
Reading Time:  6 minutes

The Manor House Hotel © Adrian Pingstone

The Manor House Hotel © Adrian Pingstone

Castle Combe is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 5 miles (8 km) northwest of the town of Chippenham. The village has two parts: one is in the narrow valley of the By Brook, while Upper Castle Combe is on higher ground to the east, on the B4039 road which links Chippenham with Chipping Sodbury. A motor racing circuit is to the south of the upper village. The village takes its name from the 12th-century castle which stood about 1/3 mile (500 m) to the north.

The 14th-century market cross, erected when the privilege to hold a weekly market in Castle Combe was granted, stands where the three principal streets of the lower village converge. Next to the cross is one of Castle Combe’s two village pumps. Small stone steps near the cross were for horse riders to mount and dismount, and close by are the remains of the buttercross, built in the late 19th century from old masonry. The market town prospered during the 15th century when it belonged to Millicent, the wife of Sir Stephen Le Scrope and then of Sir John Fastolf (1380–1459), a Norfolk knight who was the effective lord of the manor for fifty years. He promoted the woollen industry, supplying his own troops and others for Henry V’s war in France. The parish was in the ancient hundred of Chippenham. Notable houses include the Dower House, from the late 17th century and now Grade II* listed. A National School was built in 1826, on a site between the upper and lower villages. The school was taken over by the county council in 1909, and educated children of all ages until 1956 when older pupils were transferred to secondary schools in Chippenham. It closed in 1998 on the opening of a new primary school at Yatton Keynell.

Castle Combe on Bybrook River © Saffron Blaze/cc-by-sa-3.0 Market Cross © Adrian Pingstone St Andrews church © Bs0u10e01/cc-by-sa-4.0 Main street © Adrian Pingstone The Manor House Hotel © Adrian Pingstone The Old Bakery Cottage © geograph.org.uk - Dave Imm/cc-by-sa-2.0
<
>
The Old Bakery Cottage © geograph.org.uk - Dave Imm/cc-by-sa-2.0
The village was a location for the 1967 film musical Doctor Dolittle, but its frequently rainy summer climate, and the residents’ irritation at the producers’ modifications of the area for shooting that was severe enough to incite attempted sabotage – including by British Army officer (and future explorer) Sir Ranulph Fiennes – frustrated production. Other productions include “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd“, an episode of Agatha Christie’s Poirot, and the films Stardust and The Wolfman. Throughout September 2010, the village was a key filming location for Steven Spielberg‘s production of War Horse. Raymond Austin set the action of his book Find me a Spy, Catch me a Traitor in the village and at the Manor. The house of Alice Cartalet in the manga and anime series Kiniro Mosaic was based on Fosse Farmhouse, a guesthouse near Castle Combe. The village was a filming location for the fantasy adventure movie Mariah Mundi and the Midas Box in 2012, and later for a series of Downton Abbey.

The 5-star Manor House Hotel is in the west end of the village. The house was built in the 17th century and rebuilt in the 19th. It has 48 rooms and 365 acres (1.5 km²) of gardens. During World War II, the New Zealand Forestry Officers had the Manor House as their headquarters. In 1947, the owner of the Castle Combe estate sold the houses of the estate and the Manor House became a country club. After 18 months the club left the premises, and the house was shortly thereafter sold to Bobbie Allen, an amateur hotelier, and her husband. Over time, they established the Manor House as a premier country hotel, run almost as a club, which attracted quite a glamorous clientele. Certain of the London hotels would refer guests in search of authentic England to the Manor House. Mrs. Allen was a noted horsewoman, and the grounds of the Manor House were known for their suitability for riding. Mrs. Allen was from Lancashire, and quite direct. She wrote a charming book of her experiences, From Claridge’s to Castle Combe, which reflects this directness. After many years, the Allens sold the Manor House to Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Clegg, who sold it to the present owners.

Read more on VisitBritain.com – Castle Combe, VisitWiltshire.co.uk – Castle Combe, timeout.com – 15 things to do in Castle Combe, Castle Combe Circuit, Welcome to The Cotswolds, The Manor House Hotel and Wikipedia Castle Combe (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.








Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Kronborg Castle in Elsinore, where the legend of Hamlet's tragedy lives on

Kronborg Castle in Elsinore, where the legend of Hamlet's tragedy lives on

[caption id="attachment_154192" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kronborg Castle © Fiskfisk[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kronborg is a star fortress situated near the town of Helsingør (immortalized as Elsinore in Shakespeare's Hamlet) on the extreme northeastern tip of Zealand at the narrowest point of the Øresund, the sound between Denmark and Sweden. In this part, the sound is only 4 km wide, hence the strategic importance of maintaining a sea fortress at this location commanding one of the few outlets of the Baltic Sea. The ...

[ read more ]

Oberpollinger in München

Oberpollinger in München

[caption id="attachment_150366" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © M(e)ister Eiskalt/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Oberpollinger is a known department store in Neuhauser Strasse in Munich. It is run by the The KaDeWe Group GmbH and is the largest by area department store in southern Germany. The building was built in 1905 by Max Littmann in the style of historicism, in the form of Neo-Renaissance and is a listed building. On the initiative of the city council advisory "Munich Artist Commission" architect Ma...

[ read more ]

Kronberg im Taunus

Kronberg im Taunus

[caption id="attachment_160661" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Victoria Park: View from Schiller Lake towards Kronberg Castle © Wolliballa[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kronberg im Taunus is a town in the Hochtaunuskreis district, Hesse. Before 1866, it was in the Duchy of Nassau; in that year the whole Duchy was absorbed into Prussia. Kronberg lies at the foot of the Taunus, flanked in the north and southwest by forests. A mineral water spring also rises in the town. The biggest street festival in the Old Town (around St...

[ read more ]

Zermatt and the Matterhorn

Zermatt and the Matterhorn

[caption id="attachment_160604" align="aligncenter" width="586"] Zermatt and Matterhorn © Stan Shebs[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zermatt is a municipality in the district of Visp in the German-speaking section of the canton of Valais in Switzerland. It has a population of about 5,800 inhabitants. The village is situated at the end of Mattertal at an altitude of 1,620 m (5,310 ft), at the feet of Switzerland's highest peaks. It lies about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the over 10,800 ft (3,291.84 m) high Theodul Pass bordering Italy. ...

[ read more ]

Petit Champlain in Quebec City

Petit Champlain in Quebec City

[caption id="attachment_238605" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - jockrutherford/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Quartier du Petit Champlain is a small commercial zone in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. It is located in the neighbourhood of Vieux-Québec–Cap-Blanc–colline Parlementaire in the borough of La Cité-Limoilou, near Place Royale and its Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church. Its main street is the Rue du Petit-Champlain at the foot of Cap Diamant. It is claimed that it's the oldest commercial district...

[ read more ]

Forlimpopoli in Emilia-Romagna

Forlimpopoli in Emilia-Romagna

[caption id="attachment_160719" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Porta © Icio747[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Forlimpopoli is a town and comune in the Province of Forlì-Cesena, northern Italy. It is located on the Via Emilia between Cesena and Forlì. Outside the town is the Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie di Fornò, one of the most notable circular plan churches in Italy (late 15th century). It houses two works by Agostino di Duccio. The basilica of San Rufillo was built in the 6th century but it is now a more recent recon...

[ read more ]

Wallingford in Oxfordshire

Wallingford in Oxfordshire

[caption id="attachment_152712" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Coach & Horses pub © geograph.org.uk - Bill Nicholls/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wallingford is a market town and civil parish in the upper Thames Valley in England. Until 1974 it was in Berkshire, but was transferred to Oxfordshire in that year. The town's royal but mostly ruined Wallingford Castle held high status in the early medieval period as a regular royal residence until the Black Death hit the town badly in 1349. Empress Matilda retreated h...

[ read more ]

County Donegal in Ireland

County Donegal in Ireland

[caption id="attachment_151323" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Donegal map © Kanchelskis/GFDL[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]County Donegal is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Border Region and is also located in the province of Ulster. It is named after the town of Donegal. Donegal County Council is the local authority for the county. The population of the county is 160,927 according to the 2011 census. In terms of size and area, it is the largest county in Ulster and the fourth largest county in all of Ireland. Uni...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Tel Aviv - Maccabiah Games

Theme Week Tel Aviv - Maccabiah Games

[caption id="attachment_164835" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Baloons representing the participant countries at the 2013 Maccabiah Games © Maor X/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Maccabiah Games first held in 1932, are an international Jewish multi-sport event now held quadrennially in Tel Aviv, Israel. The Maccabiah, which is organized by the Maccabi World Union, was declared a "Regional Sport Event" by, and under the auspices of and supervision of, the International Olympic Committee and international sports fede...

[ read more ]

The Białowieża National Park

The Białowieża National Park

[caption id="attachment_171930" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Swamped forest © Lilly M/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Białowieża National Park is a National Park in Podlaskie Voivodeship, in Eastern Poland adjacent with the border with Belarus. The total area of the park is 152.2 square kilometres (58.8 sq mi). It is located 62 km (39 mi) southeast of Białystok (Poland). It is known for the protection of the best preserved part of the Białowieża Forest, Europe's last temperate primaeval forest fragment that once...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Café Museum © Fotostudio Schuster/cc-by-sa-3.0
Viennese Coffee House Culture

The Viennese coffee house is a typical institution of Vienna that played an important part in shaping Viennese culture. Since...

Narikala Fortress © panoramio.com - David Holt/cc-by-sa-3.0
Old Tbilisi in Georgia

Old Tbilisi was an administrative district (raioni) in Tbilisi, capital of Georgia, from 2007 to 2013. Although the term "Old...

© Huaiwei/cc-by-sa-2.5
Theme Week Singapore – Raffles Hotel

Raffles Hotel is a colonial-style luxury hotel in Singapore. It was established by Armenian hoteliers, the Sarkies Brothers, in 1887....

Close