Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum

Wednesday, 17 January 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Berlin, General, Museums, Exhibitions, Sustainability, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks
Reading Time:  12 minutes

Italian Gardens and Tropical House © Axel Mauruszat

Italian Gardens and Tropical House © Axel Mauruszat

The Berlin-Dahlem Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum (German: Botanischer Garten und Botanisches Museum Berlin-Dahlem) is a botanical garden in Berlin, with an area of 43 hectares and around 22,000 different plant species. It was constructed between 1897 and 1910, under the guidance of architect Adolf Engler, in order to present exotic plants returned from German colonies. The garden is located in the Lichterfelde locality of the borough of Steglitz-Zehlendorf. When it was founded, a part of it was located in Dahlem, a fact that is still reflected in its name. This part of Dahlem became part of Lichterfelde in 1938. Today, the garden is part of the Free University of Berlin. The Botanical Museum (Botanisches Museum), with a large herbarium (Herbarium Berolinense) and a large scientific library, is attached to the garden.

The complex consists of several buildings and glass-houses, such as the Cactus Pavilion and the Pavilion Victoria (which features a collection of orchids, carnivorous plants and giant white water lily Victoria-Seerosen). The total area of all glass-houses is 6,000 m². The garden’s open-air areas, sorted by geographical origin, have a total area of 13 hectares. The garden’s arboretum is 14 hectares. The best-known part of the garden is the Great Pavilion (Großes Tropenhaus). The temperature inside is maintained at 30 °C and air humidity is kept high. Among the many tropical plants it hosts a giant bamboo.

Subtropical House © Axel Mauruszat Italian Gardens and Tropical House © Axel Mauruszat Greenhouses © WikiPlant - Florian Siebeck/cc-by-sa-2.5 Cactus House © Flo/cc-by-sa-2.5 Victoria House © flo/cc-by-sa-2.5
<
>
Greenhouses © WikiPlant - Florian Siebeck/cc-by-sa-2.5
History
In the year 1573, during the time of Elector John George, the first noteworthy assembly of plants for the enlargement of the national collection was achieved, under the leadership of the chief gardener at the kitchen garden of the Berlin City Palace, Desiderius Corbianus. Even if the expression “Botanic Garden” did not exist at that time, it was, in fact, the first such in Berlin. The existing Pleasure Garden has developed from this original one. In 1679 at the Potsdam Street – in place of the present Kleistpark – a hop garden was laid out, which was used, as a purpose of the electoral brewery, as a fruits- and kitchen garden. Carl Ludwig Willdenow achieved that the garden was assigned in 1809 to the Berlin Frederick William University, which developed worldwide to a recognised “Botanic Garden” with a scientific character. Between 1819 and 1838 the explorer, botanist and poet Adalbert von Chamisso worked as Second Custos of the Herbarium in the Botanical Garden. First stimuli to move the Botanic Garden appeared in 1888, given because of the need, to expand the plantings and to set out an arboretum. Besides many of the old greenhouses would have needed a reconstruction. Added to the unfavourable impacts of the surroundings, which was in the meantime densely developed because of the cities Berlin and Schöneberg; air pollution and a drawdown harmed the plants. Also the financial aspects of a move to the city periphery were of importance.

Layout
Adolf Engler designed the grounds of the gardens as a landscaped garden. The largest part of the grounds is covered by the geographical section (12.9 ha) and the arboretum (13.9 ha). The geographical section is situated just west of the main path and surrounds the Italienischer Garten (Italian garden), which lies just opposite the exhibition green houses. The aim was to present the various continents and habitats as close to their natural surroundings as possible. To accommodate this, the structure and composition of the ground was adapted and 136,000 m³ of earth were moved. The Karpfenpfuhl (carp pond), a pool of moraines that was already on the grounds before the creation of the botanical gardens, was enlarged and extended by a second pond. This facilitates the showcasing of waterside plants. The southern and western part of the gardens are taken up by the arboretum, a comprehensive and methodical collection of native plants. The arboretum borders the ponds. Therefore, native waterside plants are also part of the collection. The north western area of the gardens used to feature a section of plants which were methodically sorted by their affinity. This section was destroyed by air strikes, artillery fire and fighting on the ground in 1945. It has since been rebuilt in a modified version. It now houses a compound for the system of herbaceous plants and the compound for medical plants. This compound has been built in the form of the human body with the plants planted in the positions of their healing properties. It’s the successor of the Apothekergarten (pharmacist’s garden). This used to be situated further to the east, along with the “economical section” which presented useful plants. The Apothekergarten was especially important because it showcased all medical plants which grow outdoors. Two “morphological sections” used to be situated east of the main path in the little free spaces in-between the buildings. Here, the water and marsh bed compound in section II requires special mention. 262 basins with water sprinkling and draining of the overflowing water were built from cement concrete for this. A large water basin was heated for the tropical marsh flora. The entire compound still exists but has been left open after the opening of the directly bordering new marsh and water plants garden. The old compound is now developing into a conservation area for native wild plants and a biotope.

Pavilions
Numerous outdoor installations offer the possibility to relax, study literature, or search for protection against the rain. Alfred Koerner proved his comprehensive skills by matching the constructions to diverse styles as well as the botanical surroundings. Parts of these pavilions are connected to ornamental elements. A Japanese arbour is situated in the centre of an ornamental garden named “Japanese Love”, within the sector which represent the flora and fauna of East Asia. The “Arbour of Roses” is situated in the centre of the arboretum. In this case Koerner built a semi–circular building from basalt lava. Its style can be described as Romanesque. It is surrounded by wild roses which overgrow the arbour. These roses show their impressive blossoms in front of the dark building. Nowadays an open hall which is suitable for lectures is situated in the systematic section within widely spread meadows. Engler and his students used to go there to hold lectures.

Water Plant
Similarly important as the supply with heat is the sufficient supply with fresh water. In order to cover the requirements of the masses two 50 m deep fountains were set up. Without treating the found deep water it was suitable for open planting. To deliver the water a water plant with vapour pumps was set up which was supplied with heat by the heating station. The water was pumped directly to the mains system of the garden as well as to the 550 m³ large water tower located behind the conservatories. The pumping system was designed for a daily output of 1000 m³ of water. So as to supply the buildings with water it was used from the public system from the beginning. In case of need the public system could have been used as an alternative to the water works. The technology was updated and today the pumps are operated by electricity, but the deep well still ensures the water supply networks.

Heating Plant
Special requirements were placed on the heating plant as additional heating was vital for the large variety of plants with different growing conditions. For that, a continuously run plant was necessary since there also must be heating at night as well as in summer. Considering the high requirements for cultivation and energy an independent heating plant with three warm water kettles and a boiler were built in the Botanical Garden. The heating plant had to meet the following challenges:

  • provision of the heating systems with hot water steam and low pressure steam,
  • supply of the greenhouses with water vapour for air humidification and tropical mist,
  • supply of the nursery with warm water,
  • supply of the pumping station, the rainwater pressure pipe, the electrical lighting and the electrical working machines with energy

Until the decommissioning of the plant it had been run with approx. 1,500 tons of coal a year. The Botanical Garden was connected to the district heating network of the district heating plant Steglitz on September 13, 1967. Since then it has been the main source for heating energy for the Botanical Garden. Annual energy consumption levels amount 8580 Gcal (giga calories), from which a third is used for the “Großes Tropenhaus” (large tropical greenhouse). The renovation of the large tropical greenhouse has reduced the energy consumption levels significantly. After the renovation work is done energy consumption levels will be approx. one fifth in comparison to the levels before.

Museum
In 1879 the herbarium in the old Botanical garden gained its own building and had now the possibility to present its collectors’ items to the public. A year later an exhibition was introduced. The exhibition’s aim was to teach visitors who were not skilled in this topic. This was the first prequel of the Botanical Museum. After its relocation in 1907 to Dahlem the museum gained a considerably bigger exhibition space on three floors. These were used for expanding exhibitions about geobotany and paleobotany. After the destruction of buildings and a lot of exhibits the rebuilding started in 1957. At this time the museum had a surface area of only one floor. After the relocation of the herbarium and the library to the new east wing the museum could be expanded. On 11 March 1991 the second floor was introduced. In 2004/05 the first floor was reworked and redesigned. Now the museum is seen as an addition to the garden and presents the botanic topics which you cannot observe in the garden. To these belong the historical progress, the progress within a year, inner plant structures, enlarged micro-structures, spreading of species, plant products and the use of plants.

Read more on Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum, VisitBerlin.de – Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum and Wikipedia Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Cassis in southern France

Cassis in southern France

[caption id="attachment_160198" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cassis seen from the cliffs © Marion Schneider & Christoph Aistleitner[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cassis is a commune situated east of Marseille in the department of Bouches-du-Rhône in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region in southern France. It is a popular tourist destination, famous for its cliffs (falaises) and the sheltered inlets called calanques. The wines of Cassis are white and rosé, and not to be confused with crème de cassis, a specialty of Burgundy...

[ read more ]

World One in Mumbai

World One in Mumbai

[caption id="attachment_172132" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © lodhaworldtowers.in[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]World One is a supertall residential skyscraper under construction in Mumbai, India. It is located in Lower Parel, South Mumbai on the 7.1-hectare (17.5-acre) site of the defunct Shrinivas Mill. The site also houses two other towers—World View and World Crest. World One is being built at an estimated cost of over US$321 million. Construction began in 2011, and is expected to be completed in 2018. It will be the tal...

[ read more ]

Homestead in Florida

Homestead in Florida

[caption id="attachment_222920" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Homestead Historic Downtown District © Smothert1/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Homestead is a city within Miami-Dade County in the U.S. state of Florida, between Biscayne National Park to the east and Everglades National Park to the west. Homestead is primarily a Miami suburb and a major agricultural area. It is a principal city of the Miami metropolitan area, which was home to an estimated 6,012,331 people at the 2015 census. Homestead was incorp...

[ read more ]

Rosenheim in Upper Bavaria

Rosenheim in Upper Bavaria

[caption id="attachment_161040" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Max-Josefs-Platz © Rufus46[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The independent city of Rosenheim is located in the centre of the district of Rosenheim (Upper Bavaria), and is also the seat of administration of this region. It is located on the west bank of the Inn at the confluence of the rivers Inn and Mangfall, in the Bavarian Alpine Foreland. It is the third largest city in Upper Bavaria with over 61,000 inhabitants and one of 23 administrative centres in Bavaria. Rosenh...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Scottish Borders

Theme Week Scottish Borders

[caption id="attachment_191767" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mellerstain House © geograph.org.uk - Steve Kent/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Scottish Borders is one of 32 council areas of Scotland. It borders the City of Edinburgh, Dumfries and Galloway, East Lothian, Midlothian, South Lanarkshire, West Lothian and, to the south-west, south and east, the English counties of Cumbria and Northumberland. The administrative centre of the area is Newtown St Boswells. The term Scottish Borders is also used to designat...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Peru - Iquitos, capital of the Peruvian Amazon

Theme Week Peru - Iquitos, capital of the Peruvian Amazon

[caption id="attachment_219301" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Floating houses on the Amazon © flickr.com - Bruno Girin/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Iquitos, also known as City of Iquitos, is the capital city of Peru's Maynas Province and Loreto Region. The largest metropolis in the Peruvian Amazon, east of the Andes, it is the ninth-most populous city of Peru. It is known as the "capital of the Peruvian Amazon". The city is located in the Great Plains of the Amazon Basin, fed by the Amazon, Nanay, and Itaya rivers....

[ read more ]

European Court of Justice

European Court of Justice

[caption id="attachment_162834" align="aligncenter" width="590"] European Court of Justice © flickr.com - sprklg/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The European Court of Justice (ECJ), officially just the Court of Justice (French: Cour de Justice), is the highest court in the European Union in matters of European Union law. As a part of the Court of Justice of the European Union it is tasked with interpreting EU law and ensuring its equal application across all EU member states. The Court was established in 1952 and is base...

[ read more ]

Colleville-sur-Mer

Colleville-sur-Mer

[caption id="attachment_159831" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Anton Bielousov/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Colleville-sur-Mer is a commune in the Calvados department in the Basse-Normandie region in northwestern France. It was originally a farm owned by a certain Koli, a Scandinavian settler in the Middle Ages. It shares the same etymology as the other Colleville in Normandy, today Colleville-sur-Mer and Colleville-Montgomery. During the Norman conquest of England by William the Conqueror or following it, Gilbert...

[ read more ]

Heiligendamm is the oldest seaside resort in continental Europe

Heiligendamm is the oldest seaside resort in continental Europe

[caption id="attachment_160764" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Seebrücke pier towards Heiligendamm © Gryffindor[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Heiligendamm is the oldest seaside spa and resort in continental Europe and Germany. Heiligendamm is part of the town Bad Doberan in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Its founder and first guest in 1793 was the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg Friedrich Franz I; he made the resort fashionable. Between 1793 and 1870, Johann Christoph, Heinrich von Seydwitz, Carl Theodor Severin, and Gus...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Investor and philanthropist George Soros

Portrait: Investor and philanthropist George Soros

[caption id="attachment_213517" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2011/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]George Soros is a Hungarian-American billionaire investor and philanthropist. As of May 2020, he had a net worth of $8.3 billion, having donated more than $32 billion to the Open Society Foundations. Born in Budapest, Soros survived Nazi Germany-occupied Hungary and moved to the United Kingdom in 1947. He attended the London School of Economics, graduating with a bachelo...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
View over Montecito © Grandhiking/cc-by-sa-3.0
Montecito in California

Montecito is an census-designated place in Santa Barbara County in California. It is the wealthiest community in the county. Montecito...

© Javicoves/cc-by-sa-3.0
Alcázar of Segovia in Castile and León

The Alcázar of Segovia (literally, "Segovia Fortress") is a castle, located in Segovia in Castile and León, a World Heritage...

Campo de Gheto Novo © Didier Descouens/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Venice – The Gheto di Venezia

The Venetian Ghetto was the area of Venice in which Jews were compelled to live by the government of the...

Schließen