Botanical Garden of Brussels

Tuesday, 21 March 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks
Reading Time:  4 minutes

The main orangery buiding © Edison McCullen/cc-by-sa-4.0

The main orangery buiding © Edison McCullen/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Botanical Garden of Brussels (French: Jardin botanique de Bruxelles, Dutch: Kruidtuin van Brussel) is a former botanical garden in Brussels, Belgium. It was created in 1826 and stood on the Rue Royale/Koningsstraat in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, near Brussels’ Northern Quarter financial district, until its relocation in 1938 to the National Botanic Garden of Belgium in Meise, Flemish Brabant. Since 1984, the main orangery building has been a cultural complex and music venue of the French Community of Belgium known as Le Botanique. It can be accessed from Brussels-North railway station and Botanique/Kruidtuin metro station on lines 2 and 6 of the Brussels Metro.

The main orangery building (Le Botanique) is one-story high and its south-facing neoclassical facade is preceded by two terraces. It consists of a central rotunda with a dome, and is flanked by two wings lined with windows, each ending in a slightly offset pavilion with Ionic columns. Access to the first terrace is done from the garden via four ramps: two facing the side pavilions and two others, converging, facing the rotunda. In addition, two straight lateral staircases and a central convex staircase lead to the second terrace. Greenhouses are attached to the two side wings. Others are located below the level of the second terrace, between the stairs giving access to it. Though it has been transformed to meet its new function as a cultural centre (including concert halls and showrooms), the interior of the building retains most of its original appearance. The former herbarium room in the west wing was transformed into a cafeteria, and the two pavilions into the entrance hall and a multipurpose room. The transit between the different rooms is done through the former greenhouses attached to the side wings and the rotunda.

© Daderot © Daderot © Benoit Brummer/cc-by-4.0 © Edison McCullen/cc-by-sa-4.0 © flickr.com - Miguel Discart/cc-by-sa-2.0 The main orangery buiding © Edison McCullen/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
The main orangery buiding © Edison McCullen/cc-by-sa-4.0
Heavily damaged by work on the North–South connection, the gardens, as they appear today, are the work of the landscape architect René Pechère The French-style formal garden, planted with flowering shrubs, is laid out in front of the cultural centre’s greenhouses and orangery. The middle section, inspired by Italian designs, features a star-shaped rose garden and a flowerbed containing forty different species of iris. The third, lower section of the park is designed in the style of an English landscape garden, with winding pathways, ornamental lakes and shrub-lined lawns.

Fifty-two sculptures were executed between 1894 and 1898, a project overseen by two well-known sculptors: Constantin Meunier and Charles van der Stappen. The sculptures portray allegorical figures of plants, animals, and seasons. Some of the 43 sculptors involved include Albert Desenfans, Julien Dillens, Paul Du Bois, Jules Lagae, Léon Mignon, Victor Rousseau, François Rude, and Charles Samuel.

Read more on visit.brussels – Botanical Garden of Brussels and Wikipedia Botanical Garden of Brussels (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Large Festival Hall in Salzburg

Large Festival Hall in Salzburg

[caption id="attachment_232640" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Optimale/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Large Festival Hall in Salzburg (from 1960 to 1962 New Festival Hall, since 1963 Large Festival Hall) is one of the venues of the Salzburg Festival and is located in the old town, it is partly built into the Mönchsberg. The Large Festival Hall belonged together with the House for Mozart (the former Small Festival Hall), the Felsenreitschule and the town hall to the former prince-archbishop's court stab...

[ read more ]

Tutzing on Lake Starnberg

Tutzing on Lake Starnberg

[caption id="attachment_151329" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Boathouses © Digital cat/cc-by-sa-3.0-de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tutzing is a municipality in the district of Starnberg in Bavaria, on the west bank of the Starnberger See. Just 40 km south-west of Munich and with good views of the Alps, the town was traditionally a favorite vacation spot for those living in the city. In 1873 Johannes Brahms spent four summer months in Tutzing, completing his String Quartets Opus 51 and writing the Haydn Variations. A sm...

[ read more ]

Prenzlauer Berg in Berlin

Prenzlauer Berg in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_237245" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Stargarder Straße © Stevy76/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Prenzlauer Berg is a locality of Berlin, forming the southerly and most urban district of the borough of Pankow. From its founding in 1920 until 2001, Prenzlauer Berg was a district of Berlin in its own right. However, that year it was incorporated (along with the borough of Weißensee) into the greater district of Pankow. From the 1960s onward, Prenzlauer Berg was associated with proponents ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Bangladesh - Brahmanbaria

Theme Week Bangladesh - Brahmanbaria

[caption id="attachment_201082" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Jamia Islamia Yunusia © Zulfiquar Aungshu/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Brahmanbaria is a historical city of Bangladesh. It is the capital of Brahmanbaria Sadar Upazila and Brahmanbaria District and second largest city after Comilla in eastern Bangladesh. Brahmanbaria is one of the oldest municipalities in Bangladesh, and was established in 1769. Brahmanbaria was declared a district headquarters in 1984. Its municipality area has a population of 168,636 a...

[ read more ]

Myra in Lycia

Myra in Lycia

[caption id="attachment_164452" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tomb of Saint Nicholas © Sjoehest/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Myra was an ancient Greek town in Lycia where the small town of Kale (Demre) is situated today, in present-day Antalya Province of Turkey. It was located on the river Myros (Demre Çay), in the fertile alluvial plain between Alaca Dağ, the Massikytos range and the Aegean Sea. The ruins of the Lycian and Roman town are mostly covered by alluvial silts. The Acropolis on the Demre-plateau, the ...

[ read more ]

Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City

Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City

[caption id="attachment_232491" align="aligncenter" width="590"] David H. Koch Theater (left), Metropolitan Opera House (front), and David Geffen Hall (right)© flickr.com - Ajay Suresh/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts (also simply known as Lincoln Center) is a 16.3-acre (6.6-hectare) complex of buildings in the Lincoln Square neighborhood on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It has thirty indoor and outdoor facilities and is host to 5 million visitors annually. It houses internationally...

[ read more ]

Ras al-Khaimah on the Persian Gulf

Ras al-Khaimah on the Persian Gulf

[caption id="attachment_26554" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © rasalkhaimahtourism.com[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ras al-Khaimah is a Persian Gulf Arab emirate and a member of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Its name means "Top of the Tent". The emirate is in the northern part of the UAE, bordering Oman's exclave of Musandam. It covers an area of 1,684 square km. The capital city and home of most residents is also called Ras Al Khaimah. The city has two main sections, Old Ras Al Khaimah and Nakheel, on either side of a creek....

[ read more ]

Santa Clarita in California

Santa Clarita in California

[caption id="attachment_228025" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Fountain in front of the Edwards Theater © Mrrxx/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Santa Clarita is a city in northwestern Los Angeles County, California. With a 2020 census population of 228,673, it is the third-largest city by population in Los Angeles County, and the 17th-largest in the state of California. It is located about 30 miles (48 km) northwest of downtown Los Angeles, and occupies 70.75 square miles (183.2 km²) of land in the Santa Clarita Valle...

[ read more ]

Theme Week East Anglia - Bury St Edmunds

Theme Week East Anglia - Bury St Edmunds

[caption id="attachment_150394" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Abbey Gardens and Cathedral © geograph.org.uk - Robert Edwards/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bury St Edmunds is a market town in the county of Suffolk, and formerly the county town of West Suffolk. It is the main town in the borough of St Edmundsbury and known for the ruined abbey near the town centre. Bury is the seat of the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, with the episcopal see at St Edmundsbury Cathedral. The town, originally called Beod...

[ read more ]

The Churchill Arms in London

The Churchill Arms in London

[caption id="attachment_220049" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © CVB/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Churchill Arms is a public house at 119 Kensington Church Street on the corner with Campden Street, Notting Hill, London. There has been a pub on the site since at least the late nineteenth century. Previously known as the "Church-on-the-Hill", the pub received its current name after the Second World War. It is known for its exuberant floral displays, and extravagant Christmas displays in the winter, and has been de...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
New College - Royal Military Academy Sandhurst © wyrdlight.com - Antony McCallum/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Berkshire

Berkshire is a historic county in South East England. One of the home counties, Berkshire was recognised by Queen Elizabeth...

Kongress- und Theaterhaus © Peter Haas/cc-by-sa-3.0
Bad Ischl in Salzkammergut

Bad Ischl is a spa town in Austria. It lies in the southern part of Upper Austria, at the Traun...

© European Commission/cc-by-4.0
EU Global Gateway

The Global Gateway Initiative is a worldwide strategy by the European Union to invest in infrastructure projects and establish economic...

Close