Bond Street in London

Thursday, 30 March 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, London, Shopping
Reading Time:  6 minutes

Rolls-Royce on New Bond Street © flickr.com - 35mmMan/cc-by-2.0

Rolls-Royce on New Bond Street © flickr.com – 35mmMan/cc-by-2.0

Bond Street in the West End of London links Piccadilly in the south to Oxford Street in the north. Since the 18th century the street has housed many prestigious and upmarket fashion retailers. The southern section is Old Bond Street and the longer northern section New Bond Street—a distinction not generally made in everyday usage.

The street was built on fields surrounding Clarendon House on Piccadilly, which were developed by Sir Thomas Bond. It was built up in the 1720s, and by the end of the 18th century was a popular place for the upper-class residents of Mayfair to socialise. Prestigious or expensive shops were established along the street, but it declined as a centre of social activity in the 19th century, although it held its reputation as a fashionable place for retail, and is home to the auction houses Sotheby’s and Bonhams (formerly Phillips) and the department store Fenwick and jeweller Tiffany’s. It is one of the most expensive and sought after strips of real estate in Europe.

Bond Street is the only street that links Oxford Street and Piccadilly. Old Bond Street is at the southern end between Piccadilly and Burlington Gardens. The northern section, New Bond Street, extends to Oxford Street. The entire street is around 0.5 miles (0.8 km) long. Many shop frontages are less than 20 feet (6 m) wide.

The nearest tube stations are Green Park on Piccadilly, and Bond Street station on Oxford Street. Bond Street station does not directly connect to either New or Old Bond Street. No buses use the street, although the C2 service crosses New Bond Street. Part of New Bond Street is numbered B406 but the remainder and all of Old Bond Street is unclassified. New Bond Street is pedestrianised between Grafton Street and Clifford Street to prevent through traffic and to stop the road being used as a rat run.

New Bond Street © pixabay.com - mazzon888 Old Bond Street and New Bond Street © flickr.com - Dun.can/cc-by-2.0 Old Bond Street © Dickbauch/cc-by-sa-3.0 Rolls-Royce on New Bond Street © flickr.com - 35mmMan/cc-by-2.0 Royal Arcade on Old Bond Street © Dickbauch/cc-by-sa-3.0 The 'Allies' sculpture on Bond Street portrays Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt © geograph.org.uk - Anthony O'Neil/cc-by-sa-2.0 Union Jacks in Old Bond Street © geograph.org.uk - PAUL FARMER/cc-by-sa-2.0
<
>
The 'Allies' sculpture on Bond Street portrays Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt © geograph.org.uk - Anthony O'Neil/cc-by-sa-2.0
According to Westminster City Council, Bond Street has the highest density of haute couture stores anywhere in the world, attracting “the rich, the famous, and the simply curious”. The entire length of Bond Street has been part of the Mayfair Conservation Area controlled by Westminster City Council since 1969. Building alterations and constructions are tightly controlled to ensure the street’s appearance and upkeep are unaltered. Many buildings are listed. The council regulates the style and materials used on shop front advertising.

At one time, Bond Street was best known for top-end art dealers and antique shops that were clustered around the London office of Sotheby’s auction house, which has been at Nos. 34–35 Bond Street since 1917, and the Fine Art Society, founded in 1876. The sculpture over the entrance to Sotheby’s is from Ancient Egypt and is believed to date from around 1600 BC. It is the oldest outdoor sculpture in London.

Some dealers and antique shops remain, but others are fashion boutiques or branches of global designer brands. The street still has a reputation as a fashionable place for shopping, including the flagship stores of Ralph Lauren and Cartier. Fenwick have had a department store on Bond Street since 1891. The Phillips building at No. 101 is still used for auctions; the company was bought in 2001 by Bonhams, who spent £30 million expanding and refurbishing the premises. In 2015, Valentino announced plans to build a new flagship store on Old Bond Street.

The street features Allies, a statue of Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt, who are portrayed sitting in conversation on a park bench, sculpted by Lawrence Holofcener. The statue, popular with tourists, was erected by the Bond Street Association to commemorate 50 years since the end of World War II, and was unveiled in May 1995 by Princess Margaret. In 2013, maquettes of the sculpture (which are replicas, as Holofcener did not make any as part of the original artwork or design) were sold at Bonhams. Henry Moore has four sculptures engraved into the building work of no.153 (a Loro Piana branch), which he subsequently attempted to buy back when he felt no one noticed them.

The construction of Crossrail, part of which runs between Bond Street and Tottenham Court Road stations, involved demolition of property in nearby Hanover Square, some of which backs onto New Bond Street. This affected Nos. 64–72, which required refurbishment.

Read more on BondStreet.co.uk, VisitLondon.com – Bond Street and Wikipedia Bond Street (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Tibet - Shigatse

Theme Week Tibet - Shigatse

[caption id="attachment_203560" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Shigatse Fortress © Antoine Taveneaux/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Shigatse, officially known as Xigazê, is a prefecture-level city of the Tibet Autonomous Region, with an area of 182,000 km² (70,271 sq mi). It is located within the historical Tsang province of Tibet. The administrative center of the prefecture-level city is the Samzhubzê District. It is roughly equivalent to the ancient Shigatse urban center, the second-largest city in Tibet,...

[ read more ]

Breda in the south of Holland

Breda in the south of Holland

[caption id="attachment_159784" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Great church seen from Grote Markt square © ClaudeJacques[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Breda is a municipality and a city in the southern part of the Netherlands. The name Breda derived from brede Aa ('wide Aa') and refers to the confluence of the rivers Mark and Aa. As a fortified city, the city was of strategic military and political significance. Although a direct Fiefdom of the Holy Roman Emperor, the city obtained a municipal charter; the acquisition of Breda, t...

[ read more ]

Naples, the European Shanghai

Naples, the European Shanghai

[caption id="attachment_154030" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Historic center - UNESCO World Heritage Site © Inviaggiocommons[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Naples is a city in Italy; it is the capital of the region of Campania and of the province of Naples. Known for its rich history, art, culture, architecture, music, and gastronomy, Naples has played an important role in the Italian peninsula and beyond for much of its existence, which began more than 2,800 years ago. Situated on the west coast of Italy by the Gulf of Naples, ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Belarus - Grodno

Theme Week Belarus - Grodno

[caption id="attachment_228724" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Alexej Mazurkiewicz/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Grodno is a city in western Belarus. The city is located at the Neman river, 300 km (186 mi) from Minsk, about 15 km (9 mi) from the Polish border and 30 km (19 mi) away from Lithuania. In 2019 the city had 373,547 inhabitants. Grodno is the capital of Grodno Region and Grodno District. Since 1945, the city has been a centre of one of the provinces of the Byelorussian SSR, now of the indepen...

[ read more ]

The Freedom of the Seas

The Freedom of the Seas

[caption id="attachment_151701" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Freedom of the Seas on the maiden voyage © Andres Manuel Rodriguez[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]MS Freedom of the Seas is a cruise ship operated by Royal Caribbean International. It is the namesake of Royal Caribbean's Freedom class, and can accommodate 3,634 passengers and 1,300 crew on fifteen passenger decks. Freedom of the Seas was the largest passenger ship ever built from 2006 until construction of the Royal Caribbean International's Oasis-class ships in late 2...

[ read more ]

Gaza Strip "Gaza Metro" smuggling tunnels

Gaza Strip

[caption id="attachment_237697" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Smuggling tunnel in Rafah © flickr.com - Marius Arnesen/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Gaza Strip smuggling tunnels are smuggling tunnels that had been dug under the Philadelphi Route along the Egypt–Gaza border. They were dug to subvert the blockade of the Gaza Strip to smuggle in fuel, food, weapons and other goods into the Gaza Strip. After the Egypt–Israel peace treaty of 1979, the town of Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, was split by this bu...

[ read more ]

The Cloisters in Upper Manhattan

The Cloisters in Upper Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_165651" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Cloisters © flickr.com - Brian Clift/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Cloisters is a museum in Upper Manhattan, New York City specializing in European medieval architecture, sculpture and decorative arts. Its early collection was built by the American sculptor, art dealer and collector George Grey Barnard, and acquired by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. in 1925. Rockefeller extended the collection and in 1931 purchased land at Washington Heights and contracted...

[ read more ]

Theme Week West Jerusalem - Rehavia

Theme Week West Jerusalem - Rehavia

[caption id="attachment_192532" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Terra Sancta College on Keren HaYesod Street © Djampa/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rehavia, also Rechavia, is an upscale West Jerusalem neighborhood located between the city center and Talbiya. The Prime Minister's Official Residence is the "Aghion House", at No. 3 Balfour Street near the corner with Smolenskin Street. Most of Rehavia's streets are named after Jewish scholars and poets from the Golden Age of Jewish culture in Spain. Among them are Abrava...

[ read more ]

Lower East Side Tenement Museum in New York City

Lower East Side Tenement Museum in New York City

[caption id="attachment_234171" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - ajay_suresh/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Lower East Side Tenement Museum, located at 97 and 103 Orchard Street in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, is a National Historic Site. The museum's two historical tenement buildings were home to an estimated 15,000 people, from over 20 nations, between 1863 and 2011. The museum, which includes a visitors' center, promotes tolerance and historical perspective on the immi...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Alentejo - Portalegre

Theme Week Alentejo - Portalegre

[caption id="attachment_233214" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Palácio dos Condes de Avillez © F nando/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Portalegre is a municipality in Portugal. The population as of 2011 was 22,368, in an area of 447.14 square kilometres (172.64 sq mi). The municipality is located by the Serra de São Mamede in the Portalegre District. Its name comes from the Latin Portus Alacer (meaning "cheerful port"). The municipal holiday is 23 May. According to the 2001 census the city of Portalegre had 15,768 in...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Sunset © Mwanner/cc-by-sa-3.0
Myakka River State Park in Florida

Myakka River State Park is a Florida State Park, that is located nine miles (14 km) east of Interstate 75...

Deep ventilation well © Nevit Dilmen/cc-by-sa-3.0
Derinkuyu underground city in Turkey

The Derinkuyu underground city (Cappadocian Greek: Μαλακοπή / Malakopi; Turkish: Derinkuyu Yeraltı Şehri) is an ancient multi-level underground city of...

Fortified church of Prejmer © Neighbor's goat/cc-by-sa-3.0-ro
Villages with fortified churches in Transylvania

The south-eastern Transylvania region in Romania currently has one of the highest numbers of existing fortified churches from the 13th...

Close